Desktop or Laptop?

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

thierry474

Desktop or Laptop?

Postby thierry474 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

I used to own a laptop, but soon realised that I could get a better desktop for the same price. I now have a desktop, for my laptop is smothered with viruses.

Anyway, which you do prefer, taking into account every factor?

I personally prefer using a desktop, but that's just for pricing reasons. Go ahead and debate the matter, weighing out the pros and cons.

phillipsjk

Re: Desktop or Laptop?

Postby phillipsjk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 pm UTC

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is a "religious war."

Both Desktops and Laptops have very clear advantages and disadvantages. Where does the irrational fanaticism come in?

If this thread is here to stay, I suggest expanding the scope to "Which form-factor is best?"

• Minicomputer
  • 3-6U Rackmounted
  • 1U Rackmount
  • Full tower
  • Mid tower
  • compact tower
  • desktop
  • slimline desktop
  • "Gaming" or high performance laptop (assuming large size due to cooling requirements)
  • laptop
  • subnotebook/netbook
  • handheld

The over-lap of the extra categories can provide hours of mindless bickering :)
Did you get the number on that truck?

thierry474

Postby thierry474 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

I don't see how any threads in the forum are religious wars. Generally, religious wars have something to do with religion. Nothing here is a religious war, so how is this less of a religious war than any of these other threads? None of them are religious wars.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

Both.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

thierry474 wrote:I don't see how any threads in the forum are religious wars. Generally, religious wars have something to do with religion. Nothing here is a religious war, so how is this less of a religious war than any of these other threads? None of them are religious wars.

I think you are missing the sarcasm in the name of this board. Also, what is with newbies thinking this is the place to talk about religion? SB is over thataway *waves*

Also full tower + tablet and maybe laptop. + rackmount render farm. :)

Until I get a few thousand more dollars, I shall stick to my mid-tower + laptop combo.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

thierry474

Postby thierry474 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

J the Ninja wrote:
thierry474 wrote:I don't see how any threads in the forum are religious wars. Generally, religious wars have something to do with religion. Nothing here is a religious war, so how is this less of a religious war than any of these other threads? None of them are religious wars.

I think you are missing the sarcasm in the name of this board. Also, what is with newbies thinking this is the place to talk about religion? SB is over thataway *waves*

Until I get a few thousand more dollars, I shall stick to my mid-tower + laptop combo.

I understand the sarcasm completely, it's just stupid to say that this is hardly a religious war, when nothing in this board is.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

I know I sometimes type too much, but this was the important part of my post: "Where does the irrational fanaticism come in?"

In the typical CS religious wars (as with real religious disputes), there is no "right" answer. My concern was the the topic you chose (laptop vs desktops) would quickly degenerate into:

Use the right tool for the right job.

laptop
  • Portable
  • Low power consumption
  • small footprint

desktop
  • Larger cooling capacity allows higher performance components
  • Modular: you can choose your components
  • Since it is stationary it won't get lost. If it does get lost, you can still log in remotely using the wired network connection.

There is so little over-lap that I felt the thread would be over in 10 posts.

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:09 am UTC

High-powered desktop + netbook.

Don't see the potential for religious wars either.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

I tried desktop+laptop, but that combination is too heavy for me since I bike everywhere. I think I am more a desktop+PDA guy, though netbooks may be small enough.

I won't be sure until I have both working "just so" in in a symbiotic relationship.

In the future, it may be netbook+rackmount. Any "desktop" would be mounted to the back of the monitor. :)

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

I think my ideal scheme would be this:

1. Laptop - primary computer. (Preferably a convertible tablet/notebook, like the HP Slate, which I think will become more prominent in the next few years.)
2. Smartphone - all the obvious reasons.
3. Desktop - media center, home server, gaming platform, large-capacity backup drive.

Right now I just have a Dell Inspiron laptop, and I'm happy with it. I use it like a desktop - mostly stationary - but I value the ability to use it in another room or out of the building when I need to.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

Computers live in racks. The thing I sit in front of is an x-terminal. Laptops make great x-terminals.

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:27 am UTC

LOL

anyway, I currently use a netbook.

and I want to assemble a few GNU/Linux boxen...

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:29 am UTC

thierry474 wrote:I understand the sarcasm completely, it's just stupid to say that this is hardly a religious war, when nothing in this board is.

The First Church of Vim finds your mocking of their religion offensive. I suspect the cult of emacs may feel similarly, but who knows how those heretics think?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

J the Ninja wrote:

I thought rackmount systems cost at least $1,000 each generally? multiply that by a reasonable number to consider that a render farm, add the cost of a rack, network equipment, etc, and whats the total?

I'm pretty sure it'd be at least several thousand...

shieldforyoureyes wrote:Computers live in racks. The thing I sit in front of is an x-terminal. Laptops make great x-terminals.

LOL

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

hintss wrote:
J the Ninja wrote:

I thought rackmount systems cost at least $1,000 each generally? multiply that by a reasonable number to consider that a render farm, add the cost of a rack, network equipment, etc, and whats the total?

I'm pretty sure it'd be at least several thousand...

shieldforyoureyes wrote:Computers live in racks. The thing I sit in front of is an x-terminal. Laptops make great x-terminals.

LOL

A render farm can cost whatever the hell you want. You can make one of netbooks if you wanted to. A render farm simply refers to a group of computers used for distributed rendering somehow. No real specifics beyond that. There are rackmount cases on Newegg too, you could build your own nodes pretty easily. As for networking equipment, it again depends on the scale. A run-of-the-mill home networking switch is ok when you have a couple machines in a beowulf cluster. Obviously, it is not going to cut it for a 5500+ core farm like what ILM has. Racks run a few hundred last I checked, and should have room for a couple of boxen in it. So is it cheap? No. $1k+ of hardware per node? Not necessarily.

Plus, you make it sound like adding one machine isn't worth the trouble. When you only have 1 or 2 to begin with, adding 1 more to the team makes a BIG difference.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

I was actually thinking of making one out of nettops just before I browsed to this thread.

anyway, may I suggest ubuntu enteprise cloud for the farm nodes?

but I meant for something with decent graphics rendering capabilities+RAM, etc...

also, you'll netboot them off a boot server, won't you...

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:15 am UTC

phlip wrote:
thierry474 wrote:I understand the sarcasm completely, it's just stupid to say that this is hardly a religious war, when nothing in this board is.

The First Church of Vim finds your mocking of their religion offensive. I suspect the cult of emacs may feel similarly, but who knows how those heretics think?

The Church of Emacs appears to have a few pages on the web:
Per Abrahamsen wrote:Our Church of Emacs is very open minded, we discuss both how best to worship our Saviour among the True Believers, and also welcome preachers of false religions like Discordia or vi to our church, where we can test their silly misconceptions against out pure and strong faith . Most of the information in this page is from these discussions. Please don't misuse our sacred place to discuss joke religions like Scientology, Kibology, or BoB.
- http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/

So, I guess Church of Emacs worshipers find mocking their religion offensive as well: more offensive than Vi!

ian

Postby ian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:53 am UTC

because pretty much everyone agrees laptops are better for some things and desktops for others. desktop or laptop only becomes a 'religious war' when you're talking about a specific task. otherwise you may as well ask "tractor or boat, which is best?"

(that example isn't very good because clearly tractors are better)

I've actually also just changed from 5 years of laptops to a desktop. the furthers the laptop went was the living room, so wasn't really much point in buying a new one when a desktop gets much more performance per unit currency.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:38 am UTC

ian wrote:because pretty much everyone agrees laptops are better for some things and desktops for others. desktop or laptop only becomes a 'religious war' when you're talking about a specific task. otherwise you may as well ask "tractor or boat, which is best?"

off topic: reminds me:

radio interniew with mutual fund manager wrote:
caller: how do you get a date?
manager: easy. How big's your boat?
caller: I don't have a boat
manager: DUDE, GET A BOAT!!!
caller: well, I just can't afford a bo...
manager: well, its only several million dollars! thats couch change!
caller: well, I don't have a couple million dollars...
manager: then get a couple million dollars...
*manager hangs up*
manager, on radio: well, I don't know what the problem with that guy was...

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

ian wrote:otherwise you may as well ask "tractor or boat, which is best?"

You're clearly wrong. BOATS FTW.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:07 am UTC

I prefer laptops because they're portable (even though I didn't really bring my laptop anyway when I was actually able to, but whatever). I know desktops are supposed to have more harddrive and such, but I don't really use that much room. Neither do I take apart computers.

I might as well be using a desktop anyway, since my screen to my laptop is broken and has been broken for months. I'm using an external monitor instead. I'm thinking about keeping my broken laptop as a server and backup harddrive....just keep it closed, basically...and use my new one as my actual computer. But I don't think I can because I will only have one ethernet plug.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

webdesignbylh

Postby webdesignbylh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:17 am UTC

Laptops are good as they are portable but i have to say i much prefer desktops. In my case i have found desktops better value for money and they work alot faster as well.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:20 am UTC

For me to get any useful work done I need at least one 24" monitor. I don't understand how someone can use a laptop for doing real work and not be annoyed to death by the small workspace and sub-par peripherals.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

Same with me. I use a laptop at home for its convenience, but my work laptop is used *solely* for when I'm in a meeting and need to goof off. Actually working requires 2 24-inch screens, both vertical, and a 13-inch or two for convenience.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:40 am UTC

I'm perfectly ok doing work on my netbook. just me...

but then my nettop works sorta better for processor intensive tasks...

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

hintss wrote:I'm perfectly ok doing work on my netbook. just me...

but then my nettop works sorta better for processor intensive tasks...

Depends on what work is. If you job involves lots of image editing or design work or something, a small netbook screen would be less than ideal. If it's typing documents you can probably get by.

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:00 am UTC

I do some image editing, but its usually at zoom percent 400 or so, since I don't need much more. and since I don't really work with anything over 600x600, that really isn't a problem. and when the machine is underpowered, or I'm VNCing into the nettop, or like today when I accidentally did a infinite loop of remote desktop windows... :oops:

the way it maps out in my mind:

2u or larger rackmount: storage-intensive server
1u rackmount: other server

netbook: low processor intensive uses
nettop: slightly more processor intensive uses

microATX: slightly more power than nettop
mid-tower: low-high end or high-medium end
full-tower: MORE POWER

tablet: people who like touchscreens. otherwise same as netbook
system-in-a-keyboard: same as nettop
all-in-one: people who like form over function. same as microATX in power. with exception of IMac

a rack of servers: processor intensive distributed tasks
a beowulf cluster: see full-tower

stands2reason

Postby stands2reason » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

Both:

laptop for when I need a portable computer.

Desktop for when I'm at home and I want a more comfortable keyboard, mouse, and better monitor

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

facepalm, though your point is valid...

Praetor

Postby Praetor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

Desktop (alone). I do a good amount of programming, 3d modeling, and so forth (game dev stuff) and a powerful machine with a lot of screen real estate (dual monitors), nice inputs (old clicky keyboard and "gaming" mouse) and so forth is a must.

I'm going into college this fall, but I'm avoiding a laptop because I just don't see the value. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I spend enough time in front of my desktop as it is, when I'm away, I want to truly be away from it (same reason I'm sticking to my old POS flip phone, it calls/texts and isn't a distraction; I hate how absorbed people get with their iPhones and stuff...). Add to that the extra cost for power with a laptop, shorter lifespan, less upgrade potential, battery/heat issues, theft/loss, and I think I'm fine with good 'ol paper for note taking...

tekk

Postby tekk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

phlip wrote:

OffTopic:
think? We have lisp macros for that....also I could've sworn it was the church of emacs and the cult of vi >.>

OnTopic: I don't really do any gaming so I have no need for a big heavy desktop, hybrid is definitely best if yours isn't crap though ;P

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

Laptop, because price isn't really an issue. I'm a professional, and willing to pay for the best tools for my job (as is my employer). They generate much more money then they cost.

I have a 17" laptop, which I connect to 24" IPS panels at work/home. For traveling, I have a 13" slim-and-light. I have ~64 cores of desktops in a lab at work for when I need to do compute heavy tasks (or huge builds), but I just ssh into them and kick off jobs; I use the 17" laptop as my primary machine for almost everything.
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

Return to “Religious Wars”