Plural of "Octopus"

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

What are the proper plurals of "octopus"?

Octopuses
25%
Octopi
20%
Octopodes
33%
Octopes
1%
Octopoxen
9%
Otters
12%

Total votes: 204

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Plural of "Octopus"

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

I like all plurals except "Octopuses."

People don't like "Octopi" because it's a latinized plural of an English word, but I don't think that's a bad thing: Latin pluralization has been adopted as an English idiom. And for good reason: it does away with awkward plurals like "axises" or "octopuses".

And "octopodes" makes sense because it's a greek pluralization of a word made of greek roots, and also sounds awesome.

EDIT: added new options.
Last edited by sourmìlk on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:15 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Re: Plural of "Octopus"

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:17 pm UTC

I know Octopodes is correct, and I would use it formally, but I would probably use Octopuses in conversation, or informal usage, I would never use Octopi by choice.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:People don't like "Octopi" because it's a latinized plural of an English word, but I don't think that's a bad thing: Latin pluralization has been adopted as an English idiom. And for good reason: it does away with awkward plurals like "axises" or "octopuses".

And "octopodes" makes sense because it's a greek pluralization of a word made of greek roots, and also sounds awesome.

I like the Latin plural for all words that are > 1 syllable and end in "-us" (becomes "-i") and "is" (becomes "-es"), regardless of the etymology. The -ises and -uses are just awkward.

Greek makes sense but it's less familiar, and we've bastardized our language enough I have no problem standardizing on one thing, even if it's etymologically incorrect.

Cactus -> cacti
Octopus -> octopi
Apparatus -> apparati
Alumnus -> Alumni
Crisis -> crises
Penis -> penes
Basis -> bases
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:I know Octopodes is correct, and I would use it formally, but I would probably use Octopuses in conversation, or informal usage, I would never use Octopi by choice.

But octopi sounds so nice and natural...
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:I know Octopodes is correct, and I would use it formally, but I would probably use Octopuses in conversation, or informal usage, I would never use Octopi by choice.

But octopi sounds so nice and natural...

I don't even think cacti sounds natural, even though I know it is, :lol:

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:50 pm UTC

"octopuses" or "octopodes", never "octopi". "octopus" is an english word made of greek roots, so either english or greek pluralization makes sense.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

hotaru wrote:"octopuses" or "octopodes", never "octopi". "octopus" is an english word made of greek roots, so either english or greek pluralization makes sense.

Hydrophobic?

Edit: well, when I looked it up phobia came from latin but I forgot about phobos...
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:25 pm UTC

hotaru wrote:"octopuses" or "octopodes", never "octopi". "octopus" is an english word made of greek roots, so either english or greek pluralization makes sense.

My point was rather that octopi is an English pluralization because that pattern of pluralization is used in both Latin and English.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:

My point was rather that octopi is an English pluralization because that pattern of pluralization is used in both Latin and English.

I agree... with sourmilk?

But I thought he was permanently in the wrong?

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:08 pm UTC

And thus by the transitive property of equality (your opinion = my opinion = wrong), so are you. Welcome to the club!

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:00 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:And thus by the transitive property of equality (your opinion = my opinion = wrong), so are you. Welcome to the club!

Ha, you said I was wrong, therefore I must be right! :P

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:20 pm UTC

But in thinking that you're right, because you agreed with me and thus are now permanently wrong, then you must be wrong! But because I asserted you're wrong, then you must also be right! And so we enter an infinite loop, in which it is impossible to determine correctness relative to me.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:But in thinking that you're right, because you agreed with me and thus are now permanently wrong, then you must be wrong! But because I asserted you're wrong, then you must also be right! And so we enter an infinite loop, in which it is impossible to determine correctness relative to me.

This is pretty much how every Calvin and Hobbes strip about Calvinball ended.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm UTC

webzter_again wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:But in thinking that you're right, because you agreed with me and thus are now permanently wrong, then you must be wrong! But because I asserted you're wrong, then you must also be right! And so we enter an infinite loop, in which it is impossible to determine correctness relative to me.

This is pretty much how every Calvin and Hobbes strip about Calvinball ended.

Considering the rules of calvinball, you'd think the strips would end with Calvin winning.

troyp

Postby troyp » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:17 am UTC

Роберт wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:And thus by the transitive property of equality (your opinion = my opinion = wrong), so are you. Welcome to the club!

Ha, you said I was wrong, therefore I must be right! :P

What have you done?? You've cast the entire thread into paradox, now.

I'm happy with "octopuses" or, slightly more formally, "octopodes". I don't like "octopi". Although I somewhat agree that both Greek and Latin pluralizations have sort of become part of English and it may be okay to "regularize" certain plurals to conform to them if their standard plurals are more awkward, I just don't see "octopuses" as in any way awkward or unusual. Also, I don't see Latin "-us" declension nouns as being very common in English anyway. So "octopi: just seems like a bizarre bastardization.

I do think it would be good to pluralize -(s,x)is words to -es without concern for their etymology, though.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 am UTC

octocat: http://octodex.github.com/red-polo/
octocats: http://octodex.github.com/momtocat/

octopussy
octopussies : http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/octopussies (see also http://octopussies.tumblr.com/)

There is no other valid option*

* I don't have any marine biologist friends nor does octopus come up in casual conversation in the midwest very often**

**as in, never

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:53 am UTC

Yeah, I'd say that about 75% of the time I've talked about octopodes, it's been discussing the correct pluralization.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:30 am UTC

I have always maintained that the correct pluralization is "octopoxen".
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 am UTC

Octopi chafes my linguistic sensibilities in a place they haven't grown calli yet.
To my knowledge, Romans would have called them polypodes (analogous to octopodes, also a greek loan word but they don't need to count how many feet the slimy things have) and octopodes feels most natural to me.

Octopuses should be acceptable. Possibly crude, but then octopodes is possibly pretentious/pedantic prickery.
Last edited by Iranon on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:38 am UTC

"Octopuses" is fine... it's a standard English pluralisation pattern, and no-one's going to get confused by you saying it, or stumble over the word and have to think about it for a moment.

"Octopi" is... well... it's popular enough that people will know what you mean, so it fits the descriptivist definition of "OK". However, I'll never use it, and while I don't look down on people who do use it as much as I used to, I'll still look down pretty heavily on people who claim that it's more right than the other options... people who will hear someone say "octopuses" and "correct" them with "octopi". Those people are still wrong. But people using it non-smugly? I'm becoming OK with that. And people using it for humour (in the same vein as "penii" or "ninjae") I can get behind.

"Octopodes" is the most etymologically-correct option, however it's not one that satisfies the descriptivist test... significantly fewer people will immediately be able to know what you're talking about if you use it, without having to think about it. So it's not as useful for everyday casual speech. Also, if you're going to use it, make sure you're pronouncing it correctly... standard English pronunciation rules suggest that "-podes" should have a long O, and a silent E... and I thought so too for ages until I heard it pronounced. It actually has a short O, and an audible E. /ɒkt.ˈɒ.pəd.iːs/, not /ˈɒkt.ə.poʊds/.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:58 am UTC

I seem to recall something about "octopus" being derived from Latin, but not from the O-declination (which would otherwise license the "octopi" plural). According to that explanation, "octopes" was the right plural.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:36 am UTC

Close. If we wanted a truly latin word we'd have octopes, plural octopedes.

Which would be entirely artificial - As I mentioned, Latin speakers used the greek loanword polypus, plural polypodes.
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:34 pm UTC

phlip wrote:"penii"

Plural of "penius".

troyp

Postby troyp » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:16 pm UTC

notzeb wrote:I have always maintained that the correct pluralization is "octopoxen".

I'm convinced :-).
phlip wrote:it's popular enough that people will know what you mean, so it fits the descriptivist definition of "OK".

Yeah, but then fuck descriptivism. That's just what we resort to when the battle's already lost :-). Well, also to describe language change that does not consist of errors being incorporated into our language.
"Octopodes" is the most etymologically-correct option, however it's not one that satisfies the descriptivist test... significantly fewer people will immediately be able to know what you're talking about if you use it, without having to think about it. So it's not as useful for everyday casual speech. Also, if you're going to use it, make sure you're pronouncing it correctly... standard English pronunciation rules suggest that "-podes" should have a long O, and a silent E... and I thought so too for ages until I heard it pronounced. It actually has a short O, and an audible E. /ɒkt.ˈɒ.pəd.iːs/, not /ˈɒkt.ə.poʊds/.

Octopodes is a bit more formal, though. It would probably be well understood in contexts where it's likely to be used. A silent e is characteristically English, but I don't think it ever occurs in Latin or Greek words, does it? These words tend to be easy to pronounce because they come from sane languages. (Well, okay, Latin has, like, four conjugations and five declensions or something, but at least it bothers to have regularity.)
<pedantic>I think "It actually has a short O" is meant to be "It actually has stress on the second syllable"</pedantic>
Iranon wrote:Close. If we wanted a truly latin word we'd have octopes, plural octopedes.

Which would be entirely artificial - As I mentioned, Latin speakers used the greek loanword polypus, plural polypodes.

But then, for the second half of its history, Latin was "entirely artificial". Presumably most words coming to English directly from Latin (complete with Latin plurals, as opposed to words from romance languages like Frech) came from Scientific Latin rather than "natural" Latin. I don't know how many of those words were "artificially" Latinized, but there must be a few.

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

True, but people don't suddenly talk about luxoscriby instead of photography because they decide they like Latin better than Greek.
English is quite bad about mangling Latin, but there are SOME standards.

Foreign words and loanwords are fine, hypercorrection isn't. Hardly exclusive to English though, I recall some 2000+ year old Latin poetry mocking a friend of the author for trying to sound all Greek and fancy, with mangled Latin.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

Octopus should be the plural of octopus, because what's good for the moose is good for the octopus.

Octopi is a verb meaning to hit someone with an octopus.

"I'll octopi you!"

joek

Postby joek » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:19 am UTC

Jplus wrote:I seem to recall something about "octopus" being derived from Latin, but not from the O-declination (which would otherwise license the "octopi" plural). According to that explanation, "octopes" was the right plural.

Octopes? Hmm, not convinced.

If the word octopus were Latin, it could be second declension nominative, in which case the plural would be octopi, or fourth declension nominative or a bunch of other cases, in which case the plural would be octopus. (In a similar way, the correct Latin plural of status is status, although using it as such in English is at best clumsy).

In Latin, the word octopus could be translated as octopes, -pedis; in which case the 'correct' plural would be octopedes.

If the word was octops, octopis, then the 'correct' plural would be octopes :P

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:16 am UTC

I have now added the options Octopoxen, Octopes, and Otters. Add your vote now!

bantler

Postby bantler » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:01 pm UTC

You missed Octopussy Riot

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 am UTC

My dad asserts that the correct pluralization is "Octopossie".

StapleHorseOctopus

Postby StapleHorseOctopus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:00 am UTC

"Octopussies" should also be a valid one.

Because just like feles octopi like to snuggle.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:12 am UTC

"Octopi" sounds the most satisfying to me, and that's usually the form I'll employ, but in my head I can't stop hearing "octopussies". Sort of like the pronunciation of "axes", the plural of "axis".
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

Obviously octopi is 8 * π.

Spoiler:
Or better: write pi in base 8 and then interpret as though it were in base 10.

eternalfrost

Postby eternalfrost » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

Actually, the plural of octopus is octopus.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

False!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SuperJedi224

Postby SuperJedi224 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:09 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure it's octopedes, which isn't on the list.
Striving for neutral good while caught in the crossfire of a struggle between lawful stupid, chaotic stupid, and, on occasion, just plain stupid.
Yeah, I'm wearing groucho glasses over a ninja mask. You have a problem with that?

The Fantasist

Postby The Fantasist » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:34 am UTC

Octopod. Pod is the plural of ped. It's Greek. (94%confidence rating.)

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Tue May 26, 2015 5:07 am UTC

"Octopuses" is a technical term refering to members of genus Octopus. Contrast with "octopodids", "octopodoids", "octopods", and "octopodiforms", which refer to members of broader taxonomic categories.

I don't like "octopodes", because it sounds too similar to "octopods". Also, I'm inclined to reserve it in case we need to add another taxonomic category later.

For the plural of the non-technical sense of "octopus", then, the only remaining option is "octopi". The fact that it's technically wrong to apply a Latin plural to a Greek word will only help emphasize to the listener that the speaker is speaking non-technically.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue May 26, 2015 8:27 am UTC

ThirdParty wrote:I don't like "octopodes", because it sounds too similar to "octopods".

Only if you pronounce it wrong (as I did for years, before I was shown this video)... as discussed upthread, it's a Greek word, the E isn't silent.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 am UTC

ThirdParty wrote:"Octopuses" is a technical term refering to members of genus Octopus. Contrast with "octopodids", "octopodoids", "octopods", and "octopodiforms", which refer to members of broader taxonomic categories.

Could you back that up? As far as I can tell, "octopus" refers to members of the order Octopoda, not the genus Octopus in particular. (Wikipedia says "An octopus is a cephalopod mollusc of the order Octopoda"; "Octopus is the largest genus of octopuses, comprising more than 100 species.") Would you also argue that the African elephant is not an elephant because it's not a member of the genus Elephas?
Exit the vampires' castle.

Return to “Religious Wars”