Oh My God Wow I Am So Unfit

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Carlington

Oh My God Wow I Am So Unfit

Postby Carlington » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:50 am UTC

Hi y'all.

My datemate and I recently decided to get back into shape together. However, my datemate's "out of shape" is a lot closer to in shape than mine. I honestly didn't know I was this out of shape. We've done yoga a couple of times, and last Tuesday we did a little workout (I was still sore four days afterwards). Yesterday we did a half-hour, fairly light workout and I am as sore today as I was when I was at peak soreness three days after last working out. I imagine two days from now I will be very unhappy.

But, the important thing is that if I keep doing this for a while I won't be sore anymore.

I don't really have a set goal yet, I want this to be more of a long-term good habit forming thing, but I wanted to make this thread to document my work on my physical and mental fitness.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: Oh My God Wow I Am So Unfit

Postby Weeks » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:42 pm UTC

I spent a good couple of months trying to form a long term habit of exercise, but now I seem to be flailing around...It's hard, but not impossible. Good luck to you!
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am UTC

Unless you're particularly gifted in the making-healthy-new-habits department, it's pretty much always a matter of restarting. Start, get into a habit, fall a little bit out of the habit, then more out, then realise you haven't Done It (whatever It is) for an embarrassingly long time now. Figure out how to get back to It, struggle to remake the habit, rinse and repeat.

Get on the horse should equal fall off the horse plus one. Or something. I might be rambling because I too am feeling too much from a mild workout today.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Samik

Postby Samik » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:44 am UTC

poxic wrote:Get on the horse should equal fall off the horse plus one. Or something. I might be rambling because I too am feeling too much from a mild workout today.

I think the saying you're looking for is two steps forward, one step back?

That's been the essential character of my fitness journey. An entire (still very brief) lifetime of being a 6-month on, 6-month off exerciser.

It does feel like I go a little farther, and fall back a little less, each time. But I don't know if that reflects any actual body composition changes, or if I'm just accumulating knowledge about how to exercise/use myself effectively, so I can get a little farther in the same amount of time each cycle, and remain a little more functional every time I regress.

Maybe that's enough.

I don't want it to be though. I would still like to get somewhere really interesting just once before the opportunity has passed.

People who know me tell me I already have, but I don't feel that way. There's always someone faster. And until it stops being a 75 year-old couple or an 8 year-old kid passing me on the trail, I won't be satisfied. :oops:

(Maybe that just tells me that the opportunity never really passes.)

jastim

Postby jastim » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:29 am UTC

Try to watch your diet also aside from doing some exercise and yoga.

Return to “Fit Club”