Climbing comp season is coming... (Merged: Climbing)

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Otis

Re: Climbing comp season is coming... (Merged: Climbing)

Postby Otis » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

What would you guys recommend I do to get in to rock climbing? I've been exercising to get my weight down a bit so I don't have to lug my fat but up a vertical cliff. I have a friend that does it around here but he's way above my level so I'd feel bad tagging along. I've considered flying up to Salt Lake City to take advantage of the climbing walls they have up there (I work at an airline. It's not a big deal).

Also, even though I live in an area with climbing spots pretty much every where you look, do you think it'd be a good idea to open a climbing gym?

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you asking for advice on how to get into climbing or how to get into opening a climbing gym? Gyms are a great place to get started, because they simplify the technical parts and they minimize the danger. They also tend to be designed towards a variety of skill levels and can give you a good variety of beginner routes to get you started. Also, don't feel too bad about tagging along. If nothing else you should get a decent amount of exposure to things like belaying, tying knots, building anchors, etc.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Otis

Postby Otis » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:49 am UTC

Well I was interested in opening a gym but after looking into it I realized it's a huge and risky investment. Now I'm pretty much just interested in how to get started. Would you recommend I do indoor climbing first or is it fine to start out on the real thing? Also, what kind of equipment would you recommend? All I need is a harness and a pair of shoes.

Simius

Postby Simius » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Well, yes, a harness, shoes and a climbing partner. If you're started out, preferably a partner with some experience, as he/she will be able to learn you all the safety stuff you need to know. If you want to climb outdoors, you'll also need a rope and a bunch of quickdraws, but if you find yourselves an experienced climbing partner, the chance is good that he/she will be able to provide that.

I suggest that you start indoors, or trying to toprope a few outdoor routes. With latter, the rope will need to get up there first, so you'll need someone to else to lead. I hope you understand what I mean. If not, ask ahead and I'll explain in more detail.

Couldn't you ask your friend if you can trail along a few times when he goes climbing? I'm sure he'll enjoy teaching you and allowing you to get a general feel of what the sport is about.

Otis

Postby Otis » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

There are actually quite a few places out here where you can walk around and tie off then walk back down so there's no need for someone to lead. That may be a reason why we don't have a climbing gym. Maybe I'll just tag along with my friend sometime to see what it's all about.

How well did you guys do your first time climbing? The only time I've been is at the REI in Seatle. It was tons of fun and I've wanted to get into it ever since then but just didn't have the opportunity until now.

Steve

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

I absolutely sucked my first time climbing...like really pumped out after doing a few ladder routes (<5.5), as my swimmer body had absolutely zero anerobic musculature. I went on and off for about six months, got to the 5.9/5.10 boundary and then started going much more often, so now about a year after starting I am able to work my way up some 5.11's.

The most important thing is not to give up, as I know from experience it can be pretty depressing to be that one guy on the newb route while everyone else slinks their way up really elegantly, just remember everyone started there.
John Hancock

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

I would highly recommend that you start at an indoor gym, preferably with someone who knows what they are doing. However, I wouldn't discourage you from heading out with your friend whenever he goes climbing. You can learn a lot just hanging out with an experienced climber on a day trip, especially if you're not afraid to ask questions.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Otis

Postby Otis » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:04 am UTC

I think I'll take him up on that offer. A friend of mine is graduating from USU in a couple weeks so I think I'll hit up their climbing gym while I'm up there.

One more thing. Our city put in a little bouldering rock at one of the parks (it's about 8 feet high) would it be worth my time to go practice a little on that? I imagine I'd get bored pretty quickly since I can reach the top in two moves.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:20 am UTC

Otis wrote:I think I'll take him up on that offer. A friend of mine is graduating from USU in a couple weeks so I think I'll hit up their climbing gym while I'm up there.

One more thing. Our city put in a little bouldering rock at one of the parks (it's about 8 feet high) would it be worth my time to go practice a little on that? I imagine I'd get bored pretty quickly since I can reach the top in two moves.

Well, it's pretty much always worth your time to pull down on rock if you're wanting to get better at it. Even an 8 foot wall can offer some good stuff if you're trying to get something out of it. Are there any route setters working there? Do they actually have routes on the thing or is it just a blank boulder such as this?

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Otis

Postby Otis » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

That's incredibly creepy since those are the exact ones. Are you stalking me?

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

You live in St. George?

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Otis

Postby Otis » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:51 am UTC

Sure do.

I went climbing on those exact boulders about 45 minutes ago.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Otis wrote:Sure do.

Lucky duck. Even if they aren't totally awesome climbs, any training you can do will help.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:09 am UTC

Otis wrote:Sure do.

That's hilarious. Totally a shot in the dark. I would probably recommend trying more difficult routes on there or try traversing instead of going straight up.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Making some leeway with V4 problems at the gym. Gotta do better for the next comp.

Simius

Postby Simius » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

This summer I'm going to Deep Water Solo in Bulgaria. I'm sooooo looking forward to it. I've been wanting to try that for ages.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

Simius wrote:This summer I'm going to Deep Water Solo in Bulgaria. I'm sooooo looking forward to it. I've been wanting to try that for ages.

A buddy of mine is so convinced that he and I are going to Spain next year for DWS that he's already checking out plane ticket prices and trying to find lodging. I have to admit, it'd be one hell of a trip.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:17 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
Simius wrote:This summer I'm going to Deep Water Solo in Bulgaria. I'm sooooo looking forward to it. I've been wanting to try that for ages.

A buddy of mine is so convinced that he and I are going to Spain next year for DWS that he's already checking out plane ticket prices and trying to find lodging. I have to admit, it'd be one hell of a trip.

Mallorca? Nice! I recently found a nice entry level DWS spot in the Blue Mountains of all places. Summer time fun.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Yeah, it would definitely be entry level. Apparently Mallorca's got a pretty good range of climbing from 5.6 or 5.7 up to that ridiculous shit that Sharma's been doing.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Simius

Postby Simius » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:03 am UTC

22/7 wrote:

Sweet! Do you already know when you are going? The only annoying thing about Mallorca is that there are no campsites. And in Bulgaria, we're allowed to camp in the wild :P .

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

It would probably be around our spring break (which I won't have, since I'll be working). But we'd be finding some other people to go with us and renting a villa once we get there (or in advance, I guess). It's supposedly pretty reasonable if you get a decently sized group (8-10).

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:28 am UTC

Sweet, bouldering comp today. I'm putting away V4s OK now. It was funny though, I thought I'd do better on the overhangy problems but I didn't. It was slabs all the way. Crazy. Need to work on that.

bam

Postby bam » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Ok, so it's been almost four months since the last post, so I'm going to bring this thread alive again.

I'm really surprised that there's so many climbers here at xkcd. Even just reading the pullup thread I noticed that it was primarily climbers that were posting (or holding the discussion).

Anyways, I've been climbing for over seven years, but in reality I've barely climbed at all the last two years as I got tired of it (all my climbing friends moved away, I lost the will, time, and money for it). However, I've been working at the climbing gym for the last three years, and I still climb hard every once in a while; the hardest thing I've done recently was some route that vegastradguy (if you ever go to http://www.rockclimbing.com you'll know who he is) set, which he rated around 5.12a/b-ish. I thought it was easier than that, but others thought it was harder, but whatever.

I used to be active in the comp scene in my prime age (like 13-14yrs old), and always placed in the comps I went to, usually taking third or so. However, I took first place for the men's intermediate category at the Rock Fight One comp at Red Rock Climbing Centers two years back (or was it three?) and I won a map pad and some other stuff.

I've been trying to get back into it - I have a nice harness and a good pair of shoes (that are unfortunately two sizes too small, but hey, anything for the numbers right?), as well as two crash pads, a bunch of climbing friends, the ability to get climbing equipment at like 35% off, and various other things (driver's license, chalk, etc.), so really for me it's just finding the time and will to go do it.

But yeah, it's cool to see all you other guys here.
Hey, I'm new here, but I'm very interested in getting to know the community and learning new things (coding, etc.). I'm always up for a good conversation ;).

Puck

Postby Puck » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

So um, anyone around here climb in the St. Louis area?

I would love to get into climbing, I've gone a few times and really enjoyed it... but I don't really have anyone to do it with. The climbing gym in St. Louis is about 45 minutes from my house, which is a little bit far to be going on a regular basis, especially given that I don't think my wife is really interested in getting into the sport. But I would love to go somewhere for a weekend or something. Anyone know of any good locations in the area?
22/7 wrote:If I could have an alternate horn that would yell "If you use your turn signal, I'll let you in" loud enough to hear inside another car, I would pay nearly any amount of money for it.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:39 am UTC

I just started climbing over this past year at the same time as a friend of mine. I'd like to think I'm progressing well, and I feel like it's a sport I'm naturally built for, but I don't really have much of a standard to set myself up against. There's some nice climbing about 10 minutes from my house, and I cut my teeth on some 5.6-5.8 climbs, which I have no problem doing, but I've only ever completed a single 5.10a, and the rest I try at that level leave me completely stumped.

I haven't tried climbing gyms much, though I'm thinking of getting a membership. There are a few in my area that seem worth trying out, and there's one at my school, but it's pretty small and doesn't have any boulder problems, and the hours it's open don't really work well for me.

Return to “Fit Club”