Minimight!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Minimight!

Postby sarahnade » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:02 am UTC

Motivation: I've got to get rid of my roundness. You'd think four years of living with a girl who wears size 2 pants would encourage me to get out of my size 12. Nope. It kinda makes me want to stay plump just to show I'm ok with it. But... I'm not. I'd love to be able to walk into a store and not have to ignore cute clothes because they don't have my size or don't look good on a girl my size. I'd love to not be looking at size Large shirts when I'm only 4'10". I'd really love it if my belly didn't stick out farther than my chest.

Height: 4'10"
Weight: 165-ish? (I'll edit with more exact number)
Goal: 125 by graduation (1 year)

Short-term goal
150 by June 14 - roommate's wedding (I don't want to be lumpy in the bridesmaid dress)

chunky.jpg

Patrick Donnelly

Re: Minimight!

Postby Patrick Donnelly » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

Get started with this this, a summary of the Zone Diet. It's a simple way to maintain caloric restriction while still being well nourished and not feel like you're starving. You can expect to loose ~4-6lbs the first week in initial water loss (so don't get too excited), and then that'll taper down to 0.75-1.25lbs per week over the next 2-3 weeks.

Have any plans in terms of exercise? While simply loosing weight is great, ending up "skinny-fat" (ie. thin, but with no muscle) is not much of an improvement.

If you have any questions, just ask.
My Training Blog: Gymnastics, Weightlifting, and CrossFit.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

Heavens, did you really call that zone business simple? It made my head spin. What's wrong with a reasonable, healthy, balanced approach while being aware of calorific intake, plenty of veggies, and eliminating processed junk?
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Patrick Donnelly wrote:Get started with this this, a summary of the Zone Diet. It's a simple way to maintain caloric restriction while still being well nourished and not feel like you're starving. You can expect to loose ~4-6lbs the first week in initial water loss (so don't get too excited), and then that'll taper down to 0.75-1.25lbs per week over the next 2-3 weeks.

Have any plans in terms of exercise? While simply loosing weight is great, ending up "skinny-fat" (ie. thin, but with no muscle) is not much of an improvement.

If you have any questions, just ask.
Thanks for the input. My friend and I have started going to the gym about 2 times a week. It's not much, but it's a start. But honestly, yeah that zone thing was a little complex. I feel I have a pretty good grasp on what's healthy and not, it's just the discipline to keep to it.

Angelene wrote: What's wrong with a reasonable, healthy, balanced approach while being aware of calorific intake, plenty of veggies, and eliminating processed junk?
This is probably exactly what I'll do. Plus LOTS more water than I drink now.

Patrick Donnelly

Postby Patrick Donnelly » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:54 am UTC

Subj: Zone's Simplicity
Well, it's better than reading any of Sears's books! Haha. However, I probably shouldn't have simply dumped the link like I did. Here's some further explanation...

The Zone diet works by maintaining a hormonal balance, mainly with the hormone insulin, and through caloric restriction. Insulin is a hormone released when carbohydrates are eaten; it promotes fat storage and severe fluctuation's in insulin levels cause chronic hunger. So, no only are insulin levels down, reducing your body's urges to store fat, but you can also eat less calories without feeling hungry. This balance is achieved by having about 40% of your diet come from carbs, 30% from protein, and 30% from fat. Overall, those ratios work pretty well. Since everyone is different, they aren't the best solution for everyone, but they're better than many other diets out there, and a good place to start.

The "block system" of food measuring (or eyeballing) is used to keep food types in ratio. There's a bunch of estimations in the system, but when taken as a whole, the estimations round out to be pretty exact. (For example, if you do a large chemistry project, and round decimals ending in a 5 then a odd number up, and 5 then an even number down, by the end, it all balances out.) One "block" contains about 91 Calories (a bit more), where 36 Cals come from carbs, 28 from protein, and 27 from fat. It's not exactly on the 40-30-30 ratios, but like I said, it's an estimate. An average woman trying to loose weight would eat about 10 blocks per day, or between 900-1000 calories, where the 10 blocks are split into at least five meals/snacks. One block is composed of a carb-block, protein-block, and fat-block, which you saw listed on the charts. A carb-block has 9g of carbs (36 Cals), pro-block has 7g of protein, and a fat-block has 3g of fat (of this, 1.5g is assumed to come from the meat you eat for the protein block, and the other 1.5g comes from something in the fat column on the chart).

So, every meal, eat equal numbers of fat-blocks, pro-blocks, and carb-blocks. This can either be done by picking food from the charts, or by trying some of the menus listed near the end of the PDF. Since grains in general have a very high glycemic index (ie. they spike insulin levels), the more you stay away from them, the better off you'll do.

Meals are really not that hard to make. The most difficult part of the meal is getting the protein, but you can make up 2-3 pounds of meat every few days and keep the extra in the fridge so you don't spend all of your time cooking. Fruits are fine, veggies are better, but harder to eat in enough quantity. Don't ignore the dietary fat, since dietary fat does not directly relate to body fat.

This isn't much shorter, but I hope it explains things in more colloquial terms.
My Training Blog: Gymnastics, Weightlifting, and CrossFit.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Lowering insulin levels in order to feed from your body's fat supply is important, but for the maximal effect, take advantage of this while you exercise. See http://www.marathonguide.com/training/a ... lOnFat.cfm
It is written for marathon runners, so ignore the parts about carb-loading before a race. That is not for you.
The important part is this: (spoiler for length)
Spoiler:
It is best to start an exercise session with stable, fasting blood glucose levels and higher blood fat levels. Glucose is a powerful regulator of fat metabolism. The higher the glucose content of the blood, the lower the fat metabolism. High blood glucose levels are generated from dietary carbohydrates.

This effect is associated with insulin. High blood glucose stimulates the hormone insulin to be released from the pancreas. Insulin is a storage and growth hormone. Its main job is to reduce blood glucose but it also acts to store fat and protein. In the process, insulin directly blocks removal of fat from fat deposits. These deposits are an important source of fat for exercising muscle. Insulin also reduces fat burning within the muscle. Therefore, increased insulin is considered to be antagonistic to fat combustion during exercise.

In an interesting piece of research, investigators at the University of Limburg in the Netherlands and at the University of Texas collaborated to determine whether high blood glucose and high insulin levels reduce the amount of fat burned during moderate-level exercise. A group of endurance-trained men cycled for 40 minutes at an aerobic 50 percent of maximum after an overnight fast. On another day, they ingested a drink containing 100 grams of glucose at 60 minutes before and then again at 10 minutes prior to the exercise test. This is a carbohydrate equivalent of drinking one and one-half liters of Gatorade an hour before a race and again 10 minutes before the start. While this may not mimic real-life situations, what the researchers found was telling. Fat metabolism was substantially reduced for the full 40 minutes of the exercise after the carbohydrate load.

While most people would not eat that much carbohydrate before a run, it is common for people to eat a sports bar, bagel, or banana in the hour prior to training. Try to avoid eating for at least two hours before a run.

It takes as little as 20 grams of ingested carbohydrate to raise insulin and reduce fat as fuel. If you have nutrition awareness or read the nutrition labels on foods, you will know that a couple of slices of bread, a banana, a sports bar, or a soda each delivers more than 20 grams of carbohydrate.

Fasting increases blood fat levels. Running after your overnight fast will increase fat burning. A cup of coffee beforehand may boost it even higher. Once exercise has started, eating carbohydrates does not generate a substantive insulin response. If you are starting a long run lasting two hours or more on an empty stomach, you may want to eat a sports gel or bar after 20 to 30 minutes throughout the run. Otherwise you will be faced with the nausea and fatigue of low blood sugar and have a poor training session. If you tend toward hypoglycemia when you get up in the morning, you may want to eat something in the minutes immediately before you head out the door. It takes 30 minutes for insulin levels to peak.

However, before a long race or run you will have more endurance and perform better if you eat a meal containing carbohydrate two to three hours before. Early in the morning, your liver glycogen stores, which supply blood glucose, have been depleted by the overnight fast. The brain and nervous system rely on blood glucose for energy. If you start a marathon without replenishing these stores, you will bonk. The two-hour time interval is sufficient to reduce blood glucose levels back to normal and restore fat metabolism.

Fasting (not dangerous for 8 hours, dangerous for more than a day) is a decent way to make your body burn your existing fat supply. Also, in the summertime this is awesome if you can time it just right so you start running half an hour before sunrise, run in the cool shade, and watch the sun rise which is your cue to turn around and get some breakfast. The other bonus of this is that there is nobody else out there so you can run in your pajammies and nobody would care.

Next point: I am not a fan of sub-2k calorie diets; I prefer to eat according to my exercises. If I'm at work all day and I don't get off my butt for 10 hours, I'll eat a pb&j sandwich. But if I'm snowshoeing 15 miles, I'll down three pints of Ben and Jerry's. I prefer to have a fatty diet so my body is accustomed to burning fat, which is your goal here, right? I hope that makes sense.

Invictus

Postby Invictus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:24 am UTC

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHATEVER YOU DO! DON'T DIET!!!!!!!!

Atleast under the conventional idea of "dieting". There's a reason why the word contains "die".

Picture a kitchen sink. Now picture it with a smiley face on it.

YOU are this kitchen sink.

But that's not all, there are two other characters. One is the tap. This is your mouth, appetite, whatever you want to call it- it is what fills you up.

The other is the plug hole, it is your metabolism (that sneaky fellow using up all you eat)

So in laymans terms, what you want to do is drain as much of what is going in as possible through the plughole, while keeping a tab on the tap which is letting more in.

Keeping this analogy in mind, this is what happens when you diet:

1. This is you normally, your food is going in and being metabolised at the same rate, ensuring you remain at a stable weight (Hey! That rhymed!)

2. You go on a diet. Less is going in but the same amount is coming out. Instant (or almost instant) weightloss occurs and you get on a self-esteem high.

3. Alas, your body discovers your cunning plan and pulls out its book of stratagem. To conserve the energy coming in, your body slows down its metabolism- effectively shrinking your plughole.

Which is all well and fine if you stay on your diet.

4. But the nature of diets are short term. As soon as the wedding is over and you go back to old eating habits, you up the tap. The only problem is now that your plughole is so small, you gain weight like a baby elephant.

So, the moral of this story and all its pretty pictures?

Don't go ON a diet. Change your diet completely. To banish those excess pounds to the depth of hell and keep them there, you need to change your lifestyle right around.

Step 1: Eating like a farm animal
Yes, it's called the eat fresh principal, and it's EASY. Look at some food, if you can see it in it's original form in three stages or less. Eat it.

For example, I look a whole wheat bread.
Stage 1: Flour baked with grains to make bread.
Stage 2: Flour ground up in a mill.
Stage 3: Mill getting deliveries of fresh ORIGINAL wheatgrain.
EATABLE [insert tick]

Another example, a big fat lump of steak:
Stage 1: Mooooooooo
EATABLE [insert tick]

An anti-xample, a chocolate bar.
Stage 1: Wtf?
Stage 30: And the processed cocoa isolated from the butter and sweetners came from a cocoa tree?
EATABLE [insert CROSS]

Next time your shopping, three stage principal. Healthy eating for lyfe brah!

Step 2: Frequency Feeding
I went over this in the "six pack please" thread, so I'll quote myself from there...

[quote=Some Handsome Lad]You are a fireplace. Metaphorically. Food is timber (hopefully that's metaphorical too).

Throw all your logs in? You burn hot for thirty minutes and die down until the next load. Metabolically, this is terribly inefficient.

To lose serious poundage, eat frequently. This way your body will stop thinking "woah a big breakfast, I'm not getting anything until lunch so I'll store this as fat" and hopefully start thinking "ha! I small meal, I'll get another one in an hour or so- this stuff is free to burn".

Small portions more frequently will speed up your metabolism. It will also mess with the heads of your fat enemies who will wonder why you are so thin when you're always seen eating.[/quote]

Step 3: Exercise likes it 600BC
Start slowly but build it up. Gradually increase the frequency and length of exercise sessions. Swimming is the best thing you can do- it's a full body and full system workout. If you can't swim run, if running hurts your knees cycle. If you don't have knees row. If you suck at those, walk, skip, dance, play footbag. Losing weight is largely nutritional due to the way modern man eats (ie: like crap). Eat well and combine exercise though and your weight loss wont just be existant, it will be phenominal.

Conclusion
If none of this makes any sense, tell me, otherwise good luck with your fitness escapades. I've no doubt here that everyone wants you to succeed- but in order for that to happen YOU have to want to succeed. Losing weight 40 pounds is entirely 100% possible if you have the will and the guys to stick it out.

And I promise that if you do, you will feel fantasatic.
Gremlins are a rich source of Gremlinium

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:52 am UTC

Invictus wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHATEVER YOU DO! DON'T DIET!!!!!!!!
True dat.

Invictus wrote:Step 1: Eating like a farm animal
Yes, it's called the eat fresh principal, and it's EASY. Look at some food, if you can see it in it's original form in three stages or less. Eat it.

For example, I look a whole wheat bread.
Stage 1: Flour baked with grains to make bread.
Stage 2: Flour ground up in a mill.
Stage 3: Mill getting deliveries of fresh ORIGINAL wheatgrain.
EATABLE [insert tick]

Another example, a big fat lump of steak:
Stage 1: Mooooooooo
EATABLE [insert tick]

An anti-xample, a chocolate bar.
Stage 1: Wtf?
Stage 30: And the processed cocoa isolated from the butter and sweetners came from a cocoa tree?
EATABLE [insert CROSS]

Next time your shopping, three stage principal. Healthy eating for lyfe brah!

I've always been a skeptic of this approach, so, naturally, I looked for something to denounce it. (get it, naturally? hahahaha)
But I found this. It pretty much reiterates what was already said.
"When you keep to a reduced-calorie diet, your body makes metabolic adjustments that make it harder and harder for you to lose weight," Mann says. "Your body becomes very efficient, and you have to eat less and less to continue to lose weight. If you had the will to go on a diet, the fact that it steadily becomes less and less effective makes it even harder to stick to it."

But I found this to be the interesting part:
That doesn't mean weight loss is easy. There's a myth, Fernstrom says, that normal-weight people can eat anything they want and don't need a strict exercise regimen. But that's true for only a very small number of people. Most people who have a healthy weight have to work at it.

Once graduation comes and goes, you will probably have to keep up with what you're doing. By then it should become habit and you might just enjoy it. I swear by pre-breakfast ("pre-breakfast" = before you stop fasting, it's a play on words) running.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:42 am UTC

I've started keeping track of what I eat. Not really changing my diet at all, but just making note of how I eat now. It made me realize something which, honestly, I knew already.

I don't always eat because I'm hungry. I may eat because it's noon and I "should be eating lunch". Or I eat because I'm bored and I see food. Or I eat because it's the middle of the night and it was an emotional day. Or, many times, I eat because someone else is eating.

Not. Good. I don't know if this is something I should talk to someone professional about or what. I thought it was pretty common. But my brother will go all day having not eaten anything because he just "wasn't hungry" (I realize that's bad for you).

Anywho, like many have suggested, I need to spend more time thinking about whether I'm hungry or just want to have something in my mouth. I think I'll carry gum around for when I just want to chew something.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

I'm not a nutritionist, but I don't think it's a good idea to wait till you're really hungry. If you do, you'll probably eat till you're really full. It's probably better to eat frequently (i.e. whenever you start to feel peckish), but lightly (i.e. till you no longer feel peckish).

Steve

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

I'm not a nutritionist either, but I follow the 'wait until I am hungry' principle, and really the trick is to only eat small meals when you get hungry. The idea is to quench the hunger, not to feel full. As an interesting side effect of this, feeling full is actually equated to feeling sick for me now. I know how you feel with wanting to much on something, and I will frequently keep raisins or trailmix or celery around to nibble on during those times.

The biggest point though is changing paradigms from 'I want to be full' to 'I want to stop being hungry for a while.'
John Hancock

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

Steve wrote:I'm not a nutritionist either, but I follow the 'wait until I am hungry' principle, and really the trick is to only eat small meals when you get hungry. The idea is to quench the hunger, not to feel full. As an interesting side effect of this, feeling full is actually equated to feeling sick for me now. I know how you feel with wanting to much on something, and I will frequently keep raisins or trailmix or celery around to nibble on during those times.

The biggest point though is changing paradigms from 'I want to be full' to 'I want to stop being hungry for a while.'

I think we're missing the point. You should not have to change how much you eat, only what you eat and when.

Invictus

Postby Invictus » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Steve wrote:I'm not a nutritionist either, but I follow the 'wait until I am hungry' principle, and really the trick is to only eat small meals when you get hungry. The idea is to quench the hunger, not to feel full. As an interesting side effect of this, feeling full is actually equated to feeling sick for me now. I know how you feel with wanting to much on something, and I will frequently keep raisins or trailmix or celery around to nibble on during those times.

This is both terribly unhealthy and ineffective.

Hunger is a sign your body needs energy. Eating is the way you get this energy.

It's like having a car, running it until the petrol is low, filling it up with a little bit of fuel and then running it again like it's on a full tank.

Ultimately you're going to have barely any energy until you crash (where your metabolism would've slowed to snailpace so you'll put on a buttload of weight).

Small meals frequently to keep the fire burning.
Gremlins are a rich source of Gremlinium

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Wed May 25, 2011 2:51 am UTC

Oh hello, Nade from three years ago. I am you, three years later. (You've got a bit rounder.)

Welp. I think I'm going to try this whole "losing weight" business again. My main hurdle is not what I eat (it could be better, but meh). It's the motivation to exercise. I'm a member of the gym near my house, but I haven't gone in months. Time for that to change!! I'm going to go tomorrow before work. Just to hop on the treadmill and maybe a bit of the weight machines.

I need to build a consistent schedule. Right now, that's more important than any actual exercise I do. Once I'm going consistently, I can work on making sure I'm doing the right things. GOOOOO ME!

EDIT: for space-time continuum
Last edited by sarahnade on Wed May 25, 2011 5:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed May 25, 2011 4:00 am UTC

Yea, diets don't really work. Because then you are on the mindset of "diet" vs. "not on a diet". That means even if you do meet your weight goals you will then "end" the diet and very likely gain it all back.

You need to eat what you can live with eating, but eat less of it. It's a lifestyle change.

sarahnade wrote:My main hurdle is not what I eat (it could be better, but meh).

It's the easiest way to lose weight though! Think about it- going to the gym requires more effort, eating less requires less effort (though perhaps just as much willpower) and is cheaper to boot!

sarahnade wrote:I need to build a consistent schedule. Right now, that's more important than any actual exercise I do. Once I'm going consistently, I can work on making sure I'm doing the right things. GOOOOO ME!

You talk a good game and seem to know what you need to do, but execution seems to be lacking :( . Yes, consistency is super important. Go even if you feel like shit- walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes then go home. The key is to build a habit. Good luck this time!
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed May 25, 2011 4:07 am UTC

sarahnade wrote:Oh hello, Nade from three years ago. I am you, two years later.

Can I borrow your TARDIS when you're done with it?

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Wed May 25, 2011 4:12 am UTC

Solt wrote:Yea, diets don't really work. Because then you are on the mindset of "diet" vs. "not on a diet". That means even if you do meet your weight goals you will then "end" the diet and very likely gain it all back.

You need to eat what you can live with eating, but eat less of it. It's a lifestyle change.
Never mentioned dieting actually. I'm not a fan. In fact..

Solt wrote:
sarahnade wrote:My main hurdle is not what I eat (it could be better, but meh).

It's the easiest way to lose weight though! Think about it- going to the gym requires more effort, eating less requires less effort (though perhaps just as much willpower) and is cheaper to boot!
Easiest is not necessarily the healthiest. I am very sedentary. I sit all day at work and then come home and play video games. Exercise will be of more benefit and weight loss to me.

Nath wrote:
sarahnade wrote:Oh hello, Nade from three years ago. I am you, two years later.

Can I borrow your TARDIS when you're done with it?
Not until I meet all the doctors!!!! (I've never actually seen any Dr. Who, so I am sure I'm committing some sort of blaspheme here.)

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Fri May 27, 2011 4:08 am UTC

Wahp waah. :?

Guess who didn't go to the gym? THIS GUY!

How aboooout... Saturday? Sleep in, go to the gym, then bbq with the neighbors. Sounds groovy.

biodomino

Postby biodomino » Fri May 27, 2011 10:46 am UTC

I'm a nutritionist, and so is my dog. We bought our certificates online.

Health literacy lesson of the day: Being a "nutritionist" doesn't mean anything. If you want professional nutritional advice, get it from a Registered Dietician (RD). (I am not one.)

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri May 27, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

You should not have to change how much you eat, only what you eat and when.

Calories out > calories in for weight loss. Eating 4000 calories a day of "healthy stuff at noon" will still make you fat. How much one eat most certainly matters. Of course, if one switches from a calorie-heavy (stick of butter) to a calorie-light (cucumber) food then quantity of course can vary as well. By keeping everything in terms of calories it helps standardize this rift.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calcu ... -equation/

Will help give a rough estimate on your daily calorie needs. By being at a light deficit (~500 calories less a day than your TDEE) you can expect to lose about a pound a week. Then once you're closer to your goal weight, just ratchet back up to maintenance. So long as you don't revert back to your gluttonous ways you can expect to stay at about the same weight. The above calc is of course only accurate within a range; it assumes a certain muscle to fat ratio so the obese and the muscleheads are off the scale. Being 4'10" might be an issue. But IANAN ;)

edit: gdi, replied to a 3 year old comment -_-

Easiest is not necessarily the healthiest. I am very sedentary. I sit all day at work and then come home and play video games. Exercise will be of more benefit and weight loss to me.

And you still have yet to go actually exercise, yes? If you don't fix your diet, and you don't exercise... then nothing is going to happen.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Fri May 27, 2011 10:17 pm UTC

philsov wrote:

And you still have yet to go actually exercise, yes? If you don't fix your diet, and you don't exercise... then nothing is going to happen.
:shock: WHAT?! Dear god I've been sitting on my ass struggling with body image and self esteem because I thought it was helping!

philsov

Postby philsov » Sat May 28, 2011 1:31 am UTC

exactly. If you're too scared to go to the gym and work out in public, then you fixing your diet should be the easier (and actually occurring) aspect. Unless of course you have issues being out in public in general, because that might lead to some bad grocery shopping habits like buying canned supply of everything and only leaving your hole once a month or so.

Or of course invest in home equipment. Two variable-weight dumbells are pretty much all you need. No need to mess with travel time, public showers, or other body image issues that may arise elsewhere.

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon May 30, 2011 4:01 am UTC

sarahnade wrote:Wahp waah. :?

Guess who didn't go to the gym? THIS GUY!

sarahnade wrote:Easiest is not necessarily the healthiest. I am very sedentary. I sit all day at work and then come home and play video games. Exercise will be of more benefit and weight loss to me.

No, the actions that you actually follow through on will be of more benefit to you.

-J.W. Morris

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Mon May 30, 2011 5:43 am UTC

I'm not sure what I expected by posting here. But I certainly want looking for even more people to tell me how much I'm failing and feel worse about myself. This was probably expecting too much. I'm done here. Sorry to waist your time. Feel free to continue using it as a place to post generic nutrition info and criticisms.

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue May 31, 2011 8:55 am UTC

sarahnade wrote:I'm not sure what I expected by posting here.

I don't know either. You seem to be a stubborn person who doesn't want to hear any advice that's different from what you already decided to do. If you knew what you were doing, you would have gotten results in the last three years. As noted, exercising won't make a difference if you don't keep your calories in check. You have to do a ridiculous amount of running to burn 200 Calories, but you can put it all back with less than 2 cups of orange juice, half a package of top ramen, one small fries, or similarly small amounts of food. If you aren't monitoring and controlling your food intake, you will completely wipe out the calories you burn from exercising without even realizing it. Exercise is NOT a good way to lose weight. You have to do a lot of it, almost every day. Most people don't have that kind of time and motivation. The best results will happen if you fix your diet AND start exercising at the same time. Barring that, if you can only choose one it should be diet.

Ignore our collective advice though, I hope it works out for you.

-J.W. Morris

Tomo

Postby Tomo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

sarahnade wrote:Sorry to waist your time.

I hope that was intended.

Also, constructive advice != trying to make you feel bad. You have failed over the last 3 years, that's a fact. That doesn't mean you shouldn't start listening to people like Solt and it doesn't mean you don't have the strength to succeed from now on.
"Pick a number between 1 and 10."
"0.9999...?"

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

Nope, I'm just an awful speller.

It was my bad really. I absolutely did not come here for advice. I know how I eat and how I should eat. No one here knows me to know what I eat. So yeah, it pisses me off when I say I'm not looking to diet or change what I eat, and all I hear is "you ned to eat less/better". Sure I haven't succeeded in the past... ever. But if anyone would take the time to talk to me instead of puking out diet advice, they'd know it is not from lack of understanding. It's a lack of motivation and crippling self-worth issues. Can you see how strangers repeatedly telling me how I've failed may not be the most helpful thing? I don't think I'm out of line saying it's a little rude.

Like I said, it's mainly my fault. I never actually said I didn't want advice. I did mention I wasn't interested in changing my diet, but perhaps I wasn't insistent enough. Still, I don't get the impression people here are looking to be cheerleaders, and that's really what I need.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Well, for what it's worth, good luck!

philsov

Postby philsov » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

I'm not looking to diet or change what I eat

Um...

Let me throw out some hypothetical numbers.

As a 25 year old 4'10 165 female, your basic metabolic rate is ~1530. By completely being sedentary, your daily caloric needs are somewhere in the realm of 1836 to maintain your weight. If you exercise daily (rah-rah-shish-kom-ba) you burn, idk... say, ~350 calories. However, if you eat 2200 calories a day, on average, said exercise will not cause you to lose weight, but rather simply keep what you already have. If you're still deadset on not adjusting what or how much you eat, at the very least, count calories for a day or two so you know exactly how much exercise (ra-ra-ree goooooooo punnynade) you need to do daily to lose weight in the first place.

And literally any exercise will suffice. Steady-state cardio (ie, even pace for X time), interval cardio ("run the straights and walk the curves" on a track), or any general weight lifting (including body-weight exercises) are all a means to an end. Try everything out, experience all of these, and then settle on something that you can do on a regular basis, and you'll see an improvement in no time :D.

I'm on the way down myself -- lost 25 pounds in about six months (read: about a pound a week). I -need- a belt to keep up my pants and a lot of my old shirts fit again. It's great. I've been averaging a gym trip two or three times a week, usually to the tune of 30 mins of cardio + 40 mins of weight lifting, but I've also been doing fork put-downs. And don't be addicted to the scale -- water weighs 8 lbs a gallon so there's always going to be some flux.

Solt

Postby Solt » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:43 am UTC

sarahnade wrote:I don't think I'm out of line saying it's a little rude.

You are completely out of line in my opinion. I could go into detail why but that wouldn't be very constructive. Suffice to say, I think if you go back and read over what people actually said, in detail, you won't find anything rude unless you purposely twist the meaning. People are trying to be helpful, you are projecting this imagined criticism onto our words.

sarahnade wrote:Still, I don't get the impression people here are looking to be cheerleaders, and that's really what I need.

I think people will line up to support you if you actually try to adopt a reasonable plan. In the fit club I think it goes without saying that we want to see you succeed, and I at least feel that is best accomplished through a scientific approach where we are honest about whether your plan will work. Plenty of us have seen first hand what happens when the intentions are good but the information is wrong when it comes to fitness advice. All the motivation you need should come from within. If you are relying on others for more than just a little extra confidence that you are on the right track, you are approaching it wrong.

I don't know what you were hoping for, but I highly doubt a bunch of random people on the internet are going to make a difference in your motivation no matter what they say. Especially if we don't try to hold you accountable to yourself.

sarahnade wrote:But if anyone would take the time to talk to me instead of puking out diet advice, they'd know it is not from lack of understanding. It's a lack of motivation and crippling self-worth issues.

It sounds like maybe you need to talk to a professional, but fine, your point is taken. Can you tell us what goes through your head when you are in a situation where you need to use your will power and need to feel motivated in order to do the right thing? Do you ever feel depressed?

-J.W. Morris

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:41 am UTC

philsov wrote:stuff and things
I appreciate it! You were able to say how you believe dieting to be the better option, but were also supportive of my plans to exercise. I agree that calorie counting for a few days or a week would be really useful. It'll help me understand how much exercise I should get.

Solt wrote:I think if you go back and read over what people actually said, in detail, you won't find anything rude unless you purposely twist the meaning. People are trying to be helpful, you are projecting this imagined criticism onto our words.
That's entirely possible. It wasn't that any one thing anyone said was particularly rude, but as a stranger with whom I've shared my struggle, it was the abrupt (and I might say tactless) disregard of any of my opinions that I found hurtful. I appreciate that everyone is trying to help. I really do.

Solt wrote:I don't know what you were hoping for, but I highly doubt a bunch of random people on the internet are going to make a difference in your motivation no matter what they say.
And there's where you're wrong. I see this forum as a group of peers. Real people who can motivate or demotivate me to action. People with whom I hope to be accountable (otherwise why would I post?). But as you said, accountable to myself. I'm not trying to say I have my fingers in my ears and will never take any advice ever (philsov's suggestion of counting calories for a while is a great one). But suggestions are different than "your idea will never work and you should do this instead". I'm just not sure how so many people can offhandedly dismiss exercise as a valid weight loss plan.

Solt wrote:It sounds like maybe you need to talk to a professional, but fine, your point is taken. Can you tell us what goes through your head when you are in a situation where you need to use your will power and need to feel motivated in order to do the right thing? Do you ever feel depressed?
Oh I most definitely need to talk to a professional (another thing I'm forever putting off :roll:). I don't mean that you should have inquired about my mental state before offering advice, but no one ever stopped to ask what my particular struggle with weight loss is or why I wasn't interested in nutrition information. I just got diet plans tossed at me. No one even mentioned exercise except to say how futile it is.

I know a LOT about nutrition. I know how many calories it takes to gain or lose a pound of weight. I know very well HOW to eat well. I've tried that for a long time. And I've come to the conclusion that I do alright. I don't believe I eat much worse than most people I know who don't have weight issues. The difference for me is that I'm lazy. The change that I am looking to make in my life, is not to lose weight as quickly and easily as possible. I'd just take diuretics and throw up. It's to get past that laziness and be more active. To get outside more. To get to the gym ever. I know I've failed. I don't need anyone to tell me that. But instead of just giving up, I need to get past that laziness and simply move more. It may take me longer than dieting (or puking), but in the long run I believe I will be a healthier person because of it.

I appreciate people taking the time to listen to me and respond in a useful way. You're under no obligation to, and it makes you decent people. Sorry if I was overly frustrated. I'm over it now.

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

I think it's a bit rough to discount the possibility of people being able to help with her motivation over the internet. There is evidence that being part of any type of "fitness community" is good for motivation, not to mention the benefit of being held accountable and having a place to track your thoughts. When you break it down losing weight isn't actually all that hard to do. Even with a plan that isn't perfect it's still pretty easy to make enough changes to see improvements. The thing that stumps the majority of people isn't a lack of a viable plan or information it's actually making the changes that they know they should be making. Motivation is a huge part of that even for people who aren't feeling down emotionally.

I know you said you wern't interested in advice on your fitness or nutrition plans but I'm wondering if you've actually taken your lack of motivation/mental state into account when you developed your plan of attack? Many motivational speakers recomend writing in a clear, concise way your: main goal/aim, a (realistic and generous)date which your goal will be achieved for and very briefly what you plan to sacrafice and basic changes you're going to make in order to accomplish this. You then read this mission statement outloud to your self twice daily, once right after waking up and once before going to bed. While doing this you should envision yourself already having accomplished your goal. Put yourself in your future selves shoes and imagine how much happier you'll be. It might sound like a pointless/silly thing to do but it helps program your sub concious to help motivate you. Very much in the same way that constantly envisioning failure and telling yourself you can't accomplish something has a way of creating that outcome.

On top of that does your plan include introducing the changes you intend to make one at a time over a certain time period? It's generally extremely hard to drasticly change your routine overnight. By spreading out the changes over several steps and only making small changes in the beginning you make adjusting to the process easier and increase your chance of success. For instance for the first 3 weeks a change as simple as including fish oil into your diet or increasing your water intake is all you'd need to do. Focus on that one small thing and ensure that no matter what else you accomplish that goal every day for the 3weeks. After that you'd add something else in. Perhaps now on top of the fish oil you eat a healthy breakfast everyday for the next 3 weeks. Then after 3 weeks fix your lunch etc etc. The idea is to keep up with these gradual changes and make them easy enough to stick with. It could be argued that by doing this you're wasting time by not making all the changes at the start. Remember though that you're making these positive changes for life and taking a couple months to get the ball rolling is nothing in the long run. It's certainly less time then you've spent trying to fix your diet in the past. Remember not to get impaitent and increase the steps/decrease the time between each one. The frustration of doing it all slowly is a good thing. It means that rather then lacking motivation you're actually finding it hard not to do more things at once.You may even start looking forward to the 3 weeks being up so you can add the next step in.

biodomino

Postby biodomino » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

I thought I had already mentioned this, but it was in another post. I observed that you don't necessarily want advice per se, but I think this is pertinent to your problem. I'm just going to C&P, and if you have any further questions or needs, feel free to ask:

Re: What should my goal(s) be?

Postby biodomino » Mon May 09, 2011 1:02 am UTC
I'm going to give you the same guidance I give to P.E. teachers, particularly in light of you having four boys. Your goals for physical activity should be:
1. Have fun.
2. Be healthy.

Too often people see those things as mutually exclusive and rely on extrinsic motivations like weight loss and health to drive their workouts. They forget that physical activity actually can be fun. That's not to say that you should never go to the gym and hit the machines or freeweights, but the world of physical activity is so much more than that, and even so much more than common recreational activities.

Passing over that for a second, your fitness goals should be primarily weight loss and cardiovascular training. Muscle training isn't unimportant, but in terms of how good you feel, weight loss, and chronic disease prevention, cardiovascular fitness is by far the most important goal to work towards. Make that your primary goal and work on muscular goals just whenever you feel like it. Above all else, be safe and don't push yourself too hard- injury is a setback you can't afford. According to your height, you should aim for a weight of approximately 165 lbs., which may seem like a lot, but it's nothing you haven't done before :wink:

In regards to having fun, you have a luxury in having four boys- you could easily turn your workout time into playing games with them. Not only can that satisfy your fitness goals, but you'll have family time, you'll be promoting your family's fitness, and above all, it will be much more enjoyable. Sure, you can do basic recreational activities like sports, but be creative. You can come up with some really fun games just from using junk you can find at the dollar store, or Walmart. Grab some stuff that looks cool and try to work out something fun. Consider laser tag. Consider Wii or Kinect. Dancing or some other classes. It's summer, so try some water games. You're not limited to the mainstays, and certainly not to the gym. Change it up, too. Just remember to emphasize cardio.

For most people getting fit is more a problem of motivation than technique. Do what makes you want to keep being physically active.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:52 am UTC

Hi 'nade :) You take the bus to work, right? If so, you might be able to use that to help get yourself moving and create a time pocket that you can then use for exercising at the gym. Start by getting on the bus one stop later and off it one stop earlier on your evening commute. Then try to do it 2 stops on either end, etc. You'll be getting your body used to doing more moving around in the evening, and you'll be making your commute longer. Then at some point, you go back to taking the bus at the regular stops, but that time that you used to spend walking at either end you use to go the gym. I've used this method to get back into working out after every one of my injuries, but then again I really like physical activity so it might not work for you... but I think it helps to get your body moving in the evening (something you'll have to get used to if you want to go to the gym after work), makes it part of your commute so it can more easily become routine, and makes your brain adjusted to a time commitment for working out. It's not a 'hardcore life changing' plan, but it might help get you started.

ALSO! I live nearby and love walking around places/jogging/yoga/dancing/general-moving-stuffs. Hit me up if you want some company moving around on a weekend (I've heard the buddy system works well for motivation.)
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:23 am UTC

sarahnade wrote:I know a LOT about nutrition. I know how many calories it takes to gain or lose a pound of weight. I know very well HOW to eat well. I've tried that for a long time. And I've come to the conclusion that I do alright. I don't believe I eat much worse than most people I know who don't have weight issues. The difference for me is that I'm lazy. The change that I am looking to make in my life, is not to lose weight as quickly and easily as possible. I'd just take diuretics and throw up. It's to get past that laziness and be more active. To get outside more. To get to the gym ever. I know I've failed. I don't need anyone to tell me that. But instead of just giving up, I need to get past that laziness and simply move more. It may take me longer than dieting (or puking), but in the long run I believe I will be a healthier person because of it.

Working on all of that myself. Go Nade!

I could use you as a weighted vest if you were closer...

Return to “Fit Club”