To become a leaner, sleeker, faster.......guy in a hat...

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Re: To become a leaner, sleeker, faster.......guy in a hat...

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

I've always been a big fan of the "workout buddy". If I know that a friend will be waiting for me to get there, I'll get out of bed and actually show up on time. If it's just me, ehh.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Neris

Postby Neris » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

Yeah bought a treadmill last year... used it twice since lol.
"My God, man! Do they want tea?"
"No, I think they're after something more than that, sir. I don't know what it is, but they've brought a flag."

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Hrm, in my Aerobics class we had a machine that looked rather like a scale. When we put in our age and height, it would weigh us and then tell us our body fat. Something about electric pulses taking longer to go through muscle, maybe.

It's probably pretty expensive, but maybe your local gym has something like it for use?

nah, we recnetly bought a batroom scale tht can do that, it has metal pads u stand on and some stuff with electricity happens (dad's the engineer, i dont like electricity)
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Don't worry. I'm an engineer, too, and I don't like electricity.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

It is using conductivity to measure percent body water, with the knowledge that bone, fat and muscle all have different tendencies as to percent water.

It is crude and quick, but better than nothing.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

I imagine it is also probably considerably superior to the ol' BMI. (Up until now, I always thought a scale that claimed to measure your body fat simply let you input your height and did the quick BMI calculation.)

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

BMI is an approximation of how many meter's think you are. :)

Ie, Volume / Height^2: Where Volume over-counts muscle and undercounts fat by a margin of about 18%.

The only really useful feature of BMI is that is is easy to measure accurately. Sure, it reports that a weightlifter is morbidly obese, and that a short person with 30% body fat is underweight, but hey: the BMI itself can be measured quickly and easily!
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Otis

Postby Otis » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Anyway, update:

After the Boston trip, I seem to have gained 5 pounds. I was tempted to attribute this to a lapse in diet while I was there, but judging by when the weight appeared (progressively over the two days after I got back), it seems more like it was a gain in leg muscle from the miles and miles and miles of walking I did on the trip and was still recovering from.

I can think of no easy way to determine which is true, though.

Either way, since then, I've come back down to 250 again and broken even. If the weight gain was never fat in the first place (I hope I hope), then I consider that a net win.

Now on with the work...

Last year I got into an exercise routine where I would run a mile on my eliptical (elipticals are superior because you won't need a knee replacement in twenty years as opposed to jogging), then I'd do 50 situps and 15 pushups then do it all again until I hit 5 miles. I started losing weight really quick at first but then hit a wall (couldn't quite break 165). I kept trucking on regardless and after dropping down another pant size I learned it was because I was building muscle just as quickly as I was burning fat. I really need to get into that routine again. I'm back up to 180 at 5'8".

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

The elliptical never seemed half as difficult as the treadmill to me. Is it really of the same benefit (assuming you're running properly) ?

I stopped using the handles after someone pointed out to me that since they move by themselves, they really don't exercise your arms that much and are more for balance than anything else.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Otis wrote:
Belial wrote:Anyway, update:

After the Boston trip, I seem to have gained 5 pounds. I was tempted to attribute this to a lapse in diet while I was there, but judging by when the weight appeared (progressively over the two days after I got back), it seems more like it was a gain in leg muscle from the miles and miles and miles of walking I did on the trip and was still recovering from.

I can think of no easy way to determine which is true, though.

Either way, since then, I've come back down to 250 again and broken even. If the weight gain was never fat in the first place (I hope I hope), then I consider that a net win.

Now on with the work...

Last year I got into an exercise routine where I would run a mile on my eliptical (elipticals are superior because you won't need a knee replacement in twenty years as opposed to jogging), then I'd do 50 situps and 15 pushups then do it all again until I hit 5 miles. I started losing weight really quick at first but then hit a wall (couldn't quite break 165). I kept trucking on regardless and after dropping down another pant size I learned it was because I was building muscle just as quickly as I was burning fat. I really need to get into that routine again. I'm back up to 180 at 5'8".

My father has been running regularly since he was 13. He's now 50. His knees are fine. Colorado University's coach has been running everyday for something like 50-60 years, and his knees are fine, too (or at least they were as of 2001ish). My girlfriend's grandfather never ran a day in his life, and had to have his knee replaced. Running != bad knees, and as a runner, I hate ellipticals, as they throw off my stride for something that's actually useful.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Otis

Postby Otis » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:My father has been running regularly since he was 13. He's now 50. His knees are fine. Colorado University's coach has been running everyday for something like 50-60 years, and his knees are fine, too (or at least they were as of 2001ish). My girlfriend's grandfather never ran a day in his life, and had to have his knee replaced. Running != bad knees, and as a runner, I hate ellipticals, as they throw off my stride for something that's actually useful.

Point taken. Maybe it'd be more accurate to say that if you have bad knees then you'd probably be better off with an elliptical instead of dealing with the high impact of jogging.

I'm sure that running is actually more of a workout since when you run each step is taken on it's own, whereas on the elliptical machine you have momentum working in your favor. I use the elliptical because I can go longer on it than I can jogging and since I do it for the cardio benefits it actually works out better for me. To each his own, right?

AnonyMouse
Boobs, LOL!

Postby AnonyMouse » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Belial-
how hard is the low/no carb thing for you?
I ask because I'm fairly certain I have something that causes the insulin resistance (have yet to be offiially diagnosed, because I hate doctors, but i'm 99.9% certain based on other things) and the low carb seems the best way to go.
I think I'd have a terrible time giving up carbs.Other people I've talked to have said it's not that bad, but then they've also not stuck with it for any length of time.
:|
perhaps I should be starting my own thread in here.

edit: started my own thread. question about carbs stands-is it really hard?

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:It is using conductivity to measure percent body water, with the knowledge that bone, fat and muscle all have different tendencies as to percent water.

How accurate these things, Because I'm Very sure that the one I own is broken or something... Either that or I need to lose some fat...
Rawr!

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

SPsnow02 wrote:
Yakk wrote:It is using conductivity to measure percent body water, with the knowledge that bone, fat and muscle all have different tendencies as to percent water.

How accurate these things, Because I'm Very sure that the one I own is broken or something... Either that or I need to lose some fat...

I've been told that you want to be well hydrated before using it: ie, you want your tissues to be non-dehydrated.

What %BF are you getting? Do you know what it normal?

Akula

Postby Akula » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:14 am UTC

I really hate elliptical machines. It feels completely unnatural and uncomfortable to me. My left knee gets sore on the treadmill. Bikes make my ass sore and also feel unnatural and uncomfortable. I've taken to swimming instead. Decent cardio... I also do several laps holding my breath. Besides jumping your heart rate up, it really really helps with lung capacity. When I started this nearly a year ago I could make about 3/4 a length without taking a breath. I can now reach about 2+1/2 lengths. Also, summer is back, the ice is melted, and I can break out the kayak again! I usually paddle about 12 miles, a couple times a week. The other thing is just WALKING. It's such an underestimated workout.

As for low carb diets... they do work, but they make you feel like shit. The quick and dirty of it is, your body's primary fuel is carbs. Carbs that digested and not used in a short amount of time are stored as fat. If you ever run out of immediately useable carbs, the body switches to burning fat. This process feels approximately like having a 747 land on you. The goal of a low carb diet is to put your body into this state almost constantly. Your body hates burning fat instead of carbs, so you'll feel like shit the whole time. But if you manage to keep it up AND exercise, your weight will defintely drop. The hard part is keeping it off upon reintroducing carbs
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:59 am UTC

Yakk wrote:
SPsnow02 wrote:

I've been told that you want to be well hydrated before using it: ie, you want your tissues to be non-dehydrated.

What %BF are you getting? Do you know what it normal?

I Row for about 2 hours a day, and bike to practice and back. A quick google says the Average bodyfat for a under 30 year old male is 9%-15%, The scale gave me 40%...
Rawr!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

AnonyMouse wrote:question about carbs stands-is it really hard?

To be honest, the "no carb" part is a lot easier than the "low carb" part. I only lapsed slightly in the no-carb period because I was travelling at one point, and I ways have trouble being picky under those conditions. I seem to lapse a lot during the low-carb period, because it's easier to excuse taking in more than I should than it is to excuse taking in any at all during the no-carb period.

If that makes any sense.

Anyway, I will say that this diet would have to be hell on someone who didn't like meat or eggs. Or caesar salads. Or, during the low-carb period, whole grain stuff. I like all of those things, though, so it works well enough.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:The elliptical never seemed half as difficult as the treadmill to me. Is it really of the same benefit (assuming you're running properly) ?

I stopped using the handles after someone pointed out to me that since they move by themselves, they really don't exercise your arms that much and are more for balance than anything else.

I sometimes use just the handles, to push and pull with my hands rather than my feet. But I am easily entertained and wish to be more muscular.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

You can also put both feet on one of the peddles, and grab one of the handles, then sing really loudly in Italian and sit your beau on the other one...
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
AnonyMouse wrote:question about carbs stands-is it really hard?

To be honest, the "no carb" part is a lot easier than the "low carb" part. I only lapsed slightly in the no-carb period because I was travelling at one point, and I ways have trouble being picky under those conditions. I seem to lapse a lot during the low-carb period, because it's easier to excuse taking in more than I should than it is to excuse taking in any at all during the no-carb period.

One reason it's so hard to resist carbs is that eating them triggers the release of serotonin (one of those feel-good hormones) in the brain. Because of this, eating a small amount of carbs while on a low-carb diet makes many people -crave- carbs like crazy, because they feel. so. good.

I am shamelessly addicted to carbs and I could never maintain a low-carb diet. Good for you, Belial :)
Agent Anderson wrote:Get back to the math & computer jokes; math is sexier than sex.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:04 am UTC

Otis wrote:
22/7 wrote:My father has been running regularly since he was 13. He's now 50. His knees are fine. Colorado University's coach has been running everyday for something like 50-60 years, and his knees are fine, too (or at least they were as of 2001ish). My girlfriend's grandfather never ran a day in his life, and had to have his knee replaced. Running != bad knees, and as a runner, I hate ellipticals, as they throw off my stride for something that's actually useful.

Point taken. Maybe it'd be more accurate to say that if you have bad knees then you'd probably be better off with an elliptical instead of dealing with the high impact of jogging.

I'm sure that running is actually more of a workout since when you run each step is taken on it's own, whereas on the elliptical machine you have momentum working in your favor. I use the elliptical because I can go longer on it than I can jogging and since I do it for the cardio benefits it actually works out better for me. To each his own, right?

I'd say that unless you like running, stick to the machines or low impact cardio. As a guy with bad knees, it's simply not worth the risk of injury or finding out you have slightly bad knees.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:11 am UTC

recurve boy wrote:I'd say that unless you like running, stick to the machines or low impact cardio. As a guy with bad knees, it's simply not worth the risk of injury or finding out you have slightly bad knees.

Well sure, if you don't enjoy the exercise it's probably not going to work. And if you've already got bad knees, it doesn't really matter what the high-impact exercise is, it's not a good idea. I'm just saying that running != bad knees.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:49 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
recurve boy wrote:I'd say that unless you like running, stick to the machines or low impact cardio. As a guy with bad knees, it's simply not worth the risk of injury or finding out you have slightly bad knees.

I'm just saying that running != bad knees.

What I meant was, if you are thinking about picking up running for exercise (but not as a sport), and have other options available, don't.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

And I'll be more than glad to disagree with that, too. There are many people who run very regularly for exercise and it helps them quite a bit, and they enjoy it quite a bit. If your only objection to running for exercise is that it can be hard on the knees, then you're completely ignoring treadmills, running on grass and tracks, etc. and you're also forgetting that there are many other sports that can be far worse on the knees (soccer, football, basketball, lacrosse, etc.).

Either way, we're a ways off topic at this point.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

AnonyMouse
Boobs, LOL!

Postby AnonyMouse » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Anyway, I will say that this diet would have to be hell on someone who didn't like meat or eggs. Or caesar salads. Or, during the low-carb period, whole grain stuff. I like all of those things, though, so it works well enough.

yeah. tried it for like 2 days. couldn't do it. I have a tremendous amount of respect for you, since you seem to be able to do it. I don't like meat enough I think. I like whole grains and salads well enough, but eggs and meat I apparently cannot handle much of.
:) a coworker of mine is doing the Atkins thing. he loves it because he's better at 'no I can't have that' than moderation.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

I don't blame you. I really, really like eggs and meat. I am a huge carnivore. A meal is not complete if it is not centered around some sizeable portion of animal product.

But I was sick to death of meat and eggs in nearly every conceivable variation, configuration, and combination by the time the 2 week period was up. I just wanted to eat a peanut butter sandwich and never look at the stuff ever again. I still have trouble with omelettes. I can only imagine what it would be like for someone who was decidedly neutral on those things to begin with.

They/them

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

Another point about impact vs. non-impact activity such as running vs. cycling, is that leg bone density is HUGELY improved for runners, and cartilage buildup is reduced. Cyclists suffer from broken legs. Runners are made of steel.

Got bad knees? Start a gentle running regiment and strengthen them.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:42 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Got bad knees? Start a gentle running regiment and strengthen them.
I was just planning to ask about this.

I'm fit enough, and have been working out pretty regularly lately. I'm no stranger to aerobic sports, but I've really neglected them for a quite a while, and in that time have put on quite a bit of mass -- lot's of muscle and a healthy amount of fat. Now, I started running over the past three weeks or so (or whenever it officially got warm). At first it was difficult breathing-wise, but I got back in the swing of things OK. But now my knees are killing me. I may have overdone it the last couple of times out. But they really hurt like hell, especially going down stairs. I've played plenty of sports in my day, and have never experienced anything like this. Should I just wait till they get better and take it more slowly from there, working my way up more gradually? Or do you think I need more serious attention?
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:48 am UTC

Start stretching, icing, and very mild leg work outs. Gradually work up to running. If you've put on weight, your putting more stress on your legs then you were before, and chances are, started your run at the pace/level you remember being able to do it.

Also, your probably just older. I recover slower then I did in HS too.

But knee pain is cool in that you can often pinpoint the problem based on where/how it hurts. Any details?
Maybe start using an eliptical, and when you've taken some weight off/strengthened your legs a bit, you start hitting pavement.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:20 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:If you've put on weight, your putting more stress on your legs then you were before, and chances are, started your run at the pace/level you remember being able to do it.

Lots of extra stress, actually. I was watching something on Discovery or History or TLC or, I don't know, but it dealt specifically with stresses in the body during activity and it was talking about stresses in your legs (specifically the bones and cartilage) when running. Off the top of my head a 150lb man puts something on the order of 100-200psi of stress on the bones in his legs (and therefore, on the knees as well) while running on a surface like a track. Even more on pavement. And adding weight adds something like two or four times that much in psi (10 lbs ~ 20-40psi). I'm sure those numbers are off, it's been like a month since I've seen the show, but you get the idea. Lots of stress.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

AnonyMouse
Boobs, LOL!

Postby AnonyMouse » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

perhaps the walking/running discussion should be split into it's own thread?

I have a question for walkers/runners... I have been walking as exercise lately, not terribly briskly and I do not run (I have been told that the rule of thumb for walking is that if you can sing, you're walking too slow, if you can't talk you're walking too fast). If I walk for any length of time, usually anything more than about a half hour, my left knee and hip start to hurt. I changed shoes, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. one of my friends who is a dancer and therefore feels qualified to speculate thinks one leg may be slightly longer than the other and it's making my stride a little weird on my joints. if that's true it's a completely imperceptible difference otherwise. anybody else have any idea what might cause it?

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:40 pm UTC

Thanks so much, you guys. I was really starting to get worried there for a bit. I'll just take it easier, and not push myself too hard. It's already not as bad as last night when I posted here.
Izawwlgood wrote:But knee pain is cool in that you can often pinpoint the problem based on where/how it hurts. Any details?
I would say, that it's specifically and precisely patellar tendon that's bothering me, the tenton right under the kneecap, facing forward above the food. Again, walking down stairs is when I really notice the pain the worst. The type of pain is not really a "pin's and needles" kind. It's more like a very, very sore muscle, concentrated in one small area, instead of, say, all over the sholuder. I don't know if that description's any help at all.
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

AnonyMouse wrote:Stuff
Honestly, it could be any number of things. I used to run for my high school and got an over-use stress fracture because I was training on hard ground rather than a track or grass (during the winter). When I went to get it checked out, I was told that, pretty much regardless of how much or little I had trained, I would have ended up there anyway because my feet don't fall correctly, which puts too much stress on some parts of the foot. You could have a similar stride/foot fall issue. Shot in the dark.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:21 am UTC

AnonyMouse wrote:Belial-
how hard is the low/no carb thing for you?
I ask because I'm fairly certain I have something that causes the insulin resistance (have yet to be offiially diagnosed, because I hate doctors, but i'm 99.9% certain based on other things) and the low carb seems the best way to go.
I think I'd have a terrible time giving up carbs.Other people I've talked to have said it's not that bad, but then they've also not stuck with it for any length of time.
:|
perhaps I should be starting my own thread in here.

edit: started my own thread. question about carbs stands-is it really hard?

I don't know about Belial, but due to Passover regulations I've been forced to eat a low-carb diet this whole week. No bread or rice allowed, though potatoes are OK and I'll invoke the Chinese Food Rule (if you can't tell what it is, it's OK) for possibly-breaded chicken or fish.

In all honesty, it sucks. This may be because I'm at uni, where they charge $4 plus a meal-plan swipe (only 1-2 dollars if you have Kosher Meal Plan!) for kasher-lepesach DC meals, thus excluding from my consumption 90% of all dining-commons food.

I have probably lost some weight with the combination of the diet and running, but having to spend the extra money to buy my own groceries (even if they are delicious vegetables) sucketh.

Brrraaaiiiinnssss....
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Someone said it before, and I'll say it again: track surface! (I forgot what it's called.)

I took a break from running to let my knees recover. Today I felt ready, and went on the high school track instead of the wooded pond trail as I've been doing. What. A. Difference. So much easier on the knees. And I have read online that running on uneven terrain is more of a strain (sorry for the rhyme). I hope to work up to the more fun and scenic woods trails eventually, but for now this is a real lifesaver.

I outlined my knee problems above. If you find yourself in a similar situation, I highly recommend a softer, flatter terrain.

[/thread derailing]

ivysbuddy

Postby ivysbuddy » Fri May 02, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Bel, first off, congrats on starting to do something to make yourself a better, fitter person. It's no mean task to do so.

I agree completely with the cat earlier who recommended weight training, but he didn't bring up the fact that you don't need weights to do resistance training.

Try doing the following for a couple of weeks after you get done on the elliptical. It only adds about 5 minutes to your workout, and you will see (and feel!) a noticeable difference. Add reps and sets where necessary.

Do each repetition slowly and concentrate on doing the exercise correctly. (I could give instructions on how to do all of these, but it would make for a very long post--much more efficient to just google'em.) If wall squats are too easy, move away from the support.

There is no rest period in between exercises.
Wall Squats: 20 reps
Push ups: 10 reps
Static lunges: 20 reps
Push ups: 10 reps

Once you have mastered those exercises, go and pick up 2 5kg and 2 10kg dumbbells; there is a huge range of exercises that you can do for every muscle group with those simple weights, and they only cost about $30 total from Target.
"Someday...we're gonna rise up on the wind, you know...Someday, we gonna dance with those lions..."

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Fri May 02, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

SPsnow02 wrote:I Row for about 2 hours a day, and bike to practice and back. A quick google says the Average bodyfat for a under 30 year old male is 9%-15%, The scale gave me 40%...

Ayep, that isn't working. Are you well hydrated when you do it? Is your skin dry? Are you touching it with your bare feet?

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri May 02, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

ivysbuddy: That's not a bad idea. I may go ahead and get on that.

They/them

ivysbuddy

Postby ivysbuddy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

How are things goin, brother?
"Someday...we're gonna rise up on the wind, you know...Someday, we gonna dance with those lions..."

cj-maranup

Postby cj-maranup » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

I could never cut out carbs all together because I MUST have toast or cereal for breakfast (having to eat just yoghurt after wisdom teeth pulling would have killed me if not for the happy happy codeine ;))

I did try cutting them out of lunch & especially dinner, on the basis that your metabolism slows in the evening and is at its lowest when you sleep, so your body is more likely to burn them than store them as fat if you eat them earlier in the day (or immediately after exercise). It seemed to work for me, altho to be totally honest my intake of chocolate & alcohol probably has a much bigger impact on my fatness...

Also I find the diameter measurements to be much more useful than weight - as soon as I exercise I build muscle & get heavier :( Trouser fit is the easiest thing to go on! But most importantly - do you feel better?

Return to “Fit Club”