6-pack

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

ehntoo

6-pack

Postby ehntoo » Thu May 08, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

I really want one. I'm 15, 5'8", and about 130 pounds, so I'm not really overweight, nor am I underweight.
What can I do as a supplement to exercise to get a 6-pack? Will dieting help? What exercises would your recommend?

lesliesage

Re: 6-pack

Postby lesliesage » Thu May 08, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 09, 2008 1:22 am UTC

lesliesage wrote:There are probably a million versions of sit-ups in the world. You might as well do all of them.
Not sure I agree with the rest, but lots of situps will give you a 6-pack, guaranteed.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Fri May 09, 2008 1:41 am UTC

Dusty Chalk wrote:
lesliesage wrote:There are probably a million versions of sit-ups in the world. You might as well do all of them.
Not sure I agree with the rest, but lots of situps will give you a 6-pack, guaranteed.

No it won't. You'll just be good at sit ups. To get the definition you need to cut your calorie in take and do cardio to drop the body fat. And there is no such thing as targeted fat loss. So what he needs to do is start a good exercise program and stick to it.

Patrick Donnelly

Postby Patrick Donnelly » Sun May 11, 2008 1:54 am UTC

Even if you have a six pack... Do you have an ice chest to put it in? Probably not.
My Training Blog: Gymnastics, Weightlifting, and CrossFit.

nezha

Postby nezha » Mon May 12, 2008 5:49 am UTC

does it make you feel cool to quote Starting Strength?
A good friend isn't someone who pulls you out of a fight. A good friend is someone who comes in with a flying kick.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Mon May 12, 2008 9:50 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Mon May 12, 2008 11:44 am UTC

Find yourself some girls who aren't shallow. Then you won't need the sixpack, and you won't have wasted your time/money trying to get one. Here, have a beer.
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon May 12, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

recurve boy wrote:
Dusty Chalk wrote:

No it won't. You'll just be good at sit ups. To get the definition you need to cut your calorie in take and do cardio to drop the body fat. And there is no such thing as targeted fat loss. So what he needs to do is start a good exercise program and stick to it.

Dude, the OP said he's less than 60kg. I don't think he really needs to get rid of much fat there.

How many crunches a day is it necessary to do to get an effect? 50? 100? Over nine thousand? Just keep going until you have to stop?

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Mon May 12, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:Dude, the OP said he's less than 60kg. I don't think he really needs to get rid of much fat there.

How many crunches a day is it necessary to do to get an effect? 50? 100? Over nine thousand? Just keep going until you have to stop?

So? There are a lot of skinny people out there who have quite a bit of body fat. He never said what exercise he does either. If you want to be cut, get a good program to do just that. Clearly his current exercise doesn't do this.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon May 12, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

recurve boy wrote:So? There are a lot of skinny people out there who have quite a bit of body fat. He never said what exercise he does either. If you want to be cut, get a good program to do just that. Clearly his current exercise doesn't do this.

I'm kinda surprised by that. I thought being skinny was the same as not having much fat?

Patrick Donnelly

Postby Patrick Donnelly » Mon May 12, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

nezha wrote:does it make you feel cool to quote Starting Strength?

Hell yeah.

I'm glad someone else knew the reference too.

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Wed May 14, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Find yourself some girls who aren't shallow. Then you won't need the sixpack, and you won't have wasted your time/money trying to get one. Here, have a beer.

There are a lot of girls who don't mind if you don't have a 6-pack, but most of them would be more attracted to you if you did. Plus it does wonders for your self-confidence and having strong abs is incredibly useful. Hardly a waste of time and it's free unless you buy one of those ridiculous things on the TV infomercials.

Basically, there are two steps to getting ab definition. First, you need to have a fairly low amount of body fat, which requires either being metabolically gifted (like me) or doing a bunch of cardio. Then you just need to do a bunch of situps like lesliesage said. Speaking as a person who recently sculpted out an 8-pack, some ab exercises that I find effective:

Basic Situps - Lie on your back with your knees at about a 90 degree angle. Put your hands behind your head. If you cross them in front, it shifts your center of mass forward and makes it a lot easier. Sit all the way up while keeping your feet still and your elbows as close as possible to straight out to the side. Don't pull on your head and keep your chin tucked in. These can be done with your feet anchored under something, but they're more effective if you can keep your feet still by yourself.

Incline Situps - Just like basic situps, except you lie on a slanted surface. Pretty much impossible to do unanchored, but make sure you aren't pulling yourself up with your feet. Crunch versions of either inclined or normal situps are also good too, as they work different parts of your abs.

Vertical supported leg lifts - Find somewhere where you can easily support your upper body with your legs dangling free. Most gyms have contraptions to do these on, often combined with dip bars. Slowly lift your legs up to perpendicular, and then slowly lower them back down. Don't swing your legs to gain momentum. A variation of this is to only lift up one leg and kick out to the opposite side, which focuses more on your obliques.

Ab twist machines - I like these, since it's pretty hard to target the muscles they work without a machine.

Raised-legs situps - Lie on your back and stick your legs straight up in the air. Now do crunches. It's ok to move your legs in a little bit as well on the crunch. These are really good for targeting your upper abs, which normal situps usually miss.

Also, there's the crossfit philosophy, which is just that if you do a lot of lifting without machines, your abs will get worked anyway, which is true, but also works rather slowly. In particular deadlifts, overhead squats, and cleans when done properly really strengthen your abs.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Wed May 14, 2008 6:12 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:
recurve boy wrote:So? There are a lot of skinny people out there who have quite a bit of body fat. He never said what exercise he does either. If you want to be cut, get a good program to do just that. Clearly his current exercise doesn't do this.

I'm kinda surprised by that. I thought being skinny was the same as not having much fat?

The popular term is "skinny fat". It seems to me quite a few girls suffer from it. They appear slim, but if you really consider that they don't get much exercise, you'll realise they can't have much muscle then. So their is really quite a bit of fat (as a percentage) that they are carrying.

I used to love to ask female friends to hold out an arm, and I'd give the under side of their arm (below the tricep) a little push and it would jiggle. Mine used to jiggle too. But not for a while now :lol:

added random link from google that I skimmed through: http://www.alive.com/4209a12a2.php?subj ... ad_cramb=6

Also, there's the crossfit philosophy, which is just that if you do a lot of lifting without machines, your abs will get worked anyway, which is true, but also works rather slowly. In particular deadlifts, overhead squats, and cleans when done properly really strengthen your abs.

This is true for a lot of exercises if you do them properly. You can get away with a shorter core work out if you do all the other exercises well.

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Thu May 15, 2008 3:38 am UTC

The popular term is "skinny fat". It seems to me quite a few girls suffer from it. They appear slim, but if you really consider that they don't get much exercise, you'll realise they can't have much muscle then. So their is really quite a bit of fat (as a percentage) that they are carrying.

I would say most girls suffer from it. A very very small percentage of girls (at my university at least) are toned. Apparently there's some silly stigma about girls lifting, which is very disappointing to me.

Fate

Postby Fate » Sun May 18, 2008 6:07 am UTC

I'm getting the always visible abs gradually, and I'm a skinny/lean build. The thing you have to do that will help most besides workout out is eating healthy all the time. Don't starve yourself, instead, eat six meals a day, at about 3 hours inbetween each one. That way, your body wont store the food you eat as fat because it knows it will be getting fed soon. So you have more energy to workout with.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Wed May 21, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

I really like doing the excersise where you lay on your back and lift your legs up to vertical then have a buddy push your legs down as hard as possible and you try to stop them and lift them back up.

You can also try just flexing your abs and holding them for as long as possible, best thing about this is that you can do it anywhere and no one will know your doing it.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Fri May 23, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

Vellyr wrote:... and having strong abs is incredibly useful.

I've never found my ab strength to be particularly useful. I don't hear a lot of stories that end with "Thank God for George and his incredibly strong abs."

That said, I do support the pursuit of fitness for fitness' sake, and it's important to strengthen your whole body, and not just certain areas. It's important, though, that you're doing this to better yourself, and not simply to impress others.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri May 23, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:I've never found my ab strength to be particularly useful. I don't hear a lot of stories that end with "Thank God for George and his incredibly strong abs."

Well, I do hear stories that end with "...and that's how I hurt my spine". Abdominal strength can be useful for injury prevention, good posture and so on. Your core also tends to play a significant part whenever you generate large amounts of force. Pushing, pulling, lifting, punching -- you get the idea.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sat May 24, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

mobikwa wrote:I really like doing the excersise where you lay on your back and lift your legs up to vertical then have a buddy push your legs down as hard as possible and you try to stop them and lift them back up.

You can also try just flexing your abs and holding them for as long as possible, best thing about this is that you can do it anywhere and no one will know your doing it.

Problem with this is you're probably only straining your upper and middle abs. I did this a lot as well as "stationary crunches" which basically consists of tensing my abs in sequence producing a wave like effect. I could see faint traces of a 6 pack despite the fact that I wasn't really cut and felt content.

Then I tried doing full situps when I started training for the Police entrance exam. Lower abs were shockingly weak. I honestly couldn't believe how much trouble I had doing full situps when I first started and how much my lower abs hurt after. Coughing was painful the day after...

Patrick Donnelly

Postby Patrick Donnelly » Sun May 25, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:Then I tried doing full situps when I started training for the Police entrance exam. Lower abs were shockingly weak. I honestly couldn't believe how much trouble I had doing full situps when I first started and how much my lower abs hurt after. Coughing was painful the day after...

If you want full sit-ups, try them on a GHD... Heheh...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=07vETHa-trQ

Don't do more than 50 on your first day.

nezha

Postby nezha » Sun May 25, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

http://beastskills.com/AbWheel.htm This is all you need for a six pack.
A good friend isn't someone who pulls you out of a fight. A good friend is someone who comes in with a flying kick.

FreeXe

Postby FreeXe » Wed May 28, 2008 4:19 am UTC

To get what you really want, Id say make sure you do crunches, not sit ups. Sit ups are bad for your back in the long run.
Make sure you work out all of your abs. Front and both sides. Side crunches will get those done...obviously. Just lay on your side, and do a crunch upward toward the ceiling. Hands behind your head, and touch your elbows to your knees. If you can go farther great, just giving you a visual on how to do them. Lower abs are the hardest, and to get to them you'd need to do crunches on a work out ball.

Overall, just make sure you dont over do it and hurt yourself. Make sure you stretch your back out. You should feel the pain in your abs for about 1-2 weeks then you'll hit a wall. But just make sure you break through it. I had one going, then I stopped because I thought mine was ok, but it wasn't noticeable, now I regret it D:

dan_burke_1984

Postby dan_burke_1984 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:32 am UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Vellyr wrote:... and having strong abs is incredibly useful.

I've never found my ab strength to be particularly useful. I don't hear a lot of stories that end with "Thank God for George and his incredibly strong abs."

That said, I do support the pursuit of fitness for fitness' sake, and it's important to strengthen your whole body, and not just certain areas. It's important, though, that you're doing this to better yourself, and not simply to impress others.

Do some martial arts!(TKD) Without strong abs I would have been floored loads of times!

I have found straight leg lifts on a Roman chair to be the hardest abs exercise for lower abdominal work.

Also I find the swiss ball fantastic when you suspend a light weight (i.e. 6kg) behind your head as you do the sit ups.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

6-packs are a right royal pain in the ass to get, and VERY difficult for anyone without the metabolic rate of a bird. Be careful not to over-exercise your abbs, or you'll end up with a large belly of muscle and look quite odd. You have to focus on lowering your body fat level, not on building your abb muscles. A body fat over about 10% (IIRC) means that however much you work on your abbs, they won't show through the fat.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:54 am UTC

Been a very tall and skinny kid with a ridiculously fast metabolism i had a 6 pack (or better) since 3rd grade. I can assure you it has many Benefits. Asides for girls loving it, its excellent for helping with posture and back problems as well as just being generally fit. However when i got to college i discovered that i liked beer a lot more than physical activity so for the first time in years i had lost my 6 pack. I put in a lot of work to get it back but the nice part is that once you have one its fairly easy to maintain. and as mentioned earlier one of the easiest ways of doing so is just flexing during every day activities. ie standing in line at the store or sitting in class. You'll be surprised at how well this works and its excellent for maintaining them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Postby 0.0 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

There is quite a bit of truth in this statement, but it will be hard to keep up such a mundane excersize to the point it will help you. An "easy" way of getting and keeping abs is to surf.
The body control comes from your core and will definately be fun and easy to do almost daily. Of course if you don't live where you can surf, then..... skateboarding?

The truth is, if you work out enough and don't ignore your core, you probably already have the six pack, you just can't see it. You need to have a really low BMI and that comes from regular regular excersize and a lowfat high protein diet. DON'T EAT CRAP! At the age of 15 and not being obese, you already have a huge headstart over 99% of the people out there.
"Life at any time can become difficult. Life at any time can become easy. It all depends upon how one adjusts oneself to life."

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:06 am UTC

0.0 wrote:The truth is, if you work out enough and don't ignore your core, you probably already have the six pack, you just can't see it. You need to have a really low BMI body fat percentage and that comes from regular regular excersize and a lowfat high protein diet.

Fixed that for ya.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Hey, just got this not so long ago, but it's from Yahoo!, so I'm not so sure how much to trust it. Been doing a couple weeks, maybe three. There is a small change, but I can't really say what it'll do since I'm not regular with this.

It's called the Bicycle crunch, and according to Yahoo!, "the only ab movement you'll ever need" *cough. What you do basically, is to have both hands behind your head lying down like a regular sit up. Coming up like a regular sit up, lean your body to the left, and bring your right elbow and left knee together, and go back down. Repeat with the other knee and elbow, and you've got a rep. Better if you have a weight.

There is more help here, but I don't really know anything about self.com, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

And, of course, I don't know if there's any difference between exercises for guys and girls, so I can't speak on that either. I'm a guy, so it kind of feels weird doing this, but I figured give it a try since I need to get a bit healthier and do some exercises anyway. Which are you?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 am UTC

Yup, bicycles are good, but FAR from the only thing you'll ever need unless you intend to remain a very novice exerciser your entire life. Useful because they exercise all your important abdominal muscles (including the sides), but if you really want core strength and not just a flat stomach, there are much better exercises.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:50 am UTC

I've read that if you sharply decrease your amount of body fat that you can start feeling chilly all the time.

By the way, I suppose all those supplements marketed to bodybuilders with claims of "revving up your metabolism" and "burning through 10% of your body fat" are just as effective as the ones marketed to dieters?

mobikwa wrote:I really like doing the excersise where you lay on your back and lift your legs up to vertical then have a buddy push your legs down as hard as possible and you try to stop them and lift them back up.

Yeah, I like that one too. Pity you need to have a buddy around for it.

Oxymoronic

Postby Oxymoronic » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:27 am UTC

lanicita wrote:
0.0 wrote:The truth is, if you work out enough and don't ignore your core, you probably already have the six pack, you just can't see it. You need to have a really low BMI body fat percentage and that comes from regular regular excersize and a lowfat high protein diet.

Fixed that for ya.

Yeah, you pretty much have to be below the 10% body fat mark to have visible abs.
I suggest doing sit-ups and crunches with weights and/or resistance bands because like anything else they are a muscle and weights help muscle grow.
A big thing on these here interwebs for getting abs is High Intensity Interval cardio work, where you alternate running and walking according to a set schedule.
ROYAL RAINBOW!!

Patrick Donnelly

Postby Patrick Donnelly » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I've read that if you sharply decrease your amount of body fat that you can start feeling chilly all the time.

Yes, fat is an insulator - part of the reason that most obese people sweat profusely with even moderate exercise.

Oxymoronic

Postby Oxymoronic » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

Patrick Donnelly wrote:
Jorpho wrote:I've read that if you sharply decrease your amount of body fat that you can start feeling chilly all the time.

Yes, fat is an insulator - part of the reason that most obese people sweat profusely with even moderate exercise.

I thought it was God punishing fat people by making them icky.
ROYAL RAINBOW!!

Rusty Piton

Postby Rusty Piton » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

I do:
Full situps
Crunches
Front plank (kinda like holding the pushup position on your elbows untill failure. It's a great isometric workout that increases strength and tone without increasing muscle mass and giving you a rock hard bulging belly)
Right plank
Left plank(just like front plank but on the side. works to obliques)
Lying leg raise
Hanging leg raise.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Patrick Donnelly wrote:

Far from the only reason, though. I'm fitter than most people I know and I still sweat like a beast. Granted, I do carry noticeably more "insulation" than most people of my fitness level, but no where near enough to account for the difference.

LordMantir

Postby LordMantir » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Far from the only reason, though. I'm fitter than most people I know and I still sweat like a beast. Granted, I do carry noticeably more "insulation" than most people of my fitness level, but no where near enough to account for the difference.

I imagine it also has something to do with how efficient your muscles are at converting energy into movement, and how much of that is transferred into heat instead.

But back on topic: I know a guy who's BMI is about 15, he's skninny as hell and has a 6-pack despite doing very little real exercise. Basically, all this means is that I agree with all the previous posters: body fat level is way more important than size of abs. BUT... he doesn't get the posture/strength benefits of strong abs so they are important.

GCM

Postby GCM » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Patrick Donnelly wrote:

But chili chilly is good, right? At least for losing fat, if not building muscle, since you have to expend energy to create heat, and that helps burn fat.

Either way, don't be ridiculously skinny. Almost nobody looks good being so skinny and with abs, at least in my jurisdiction.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:By the way, I suppose all those supplements marketed to bodybuilders with claims of "revving up your metabolism" and "burning through 10% of your body fat" are just as effective as the ones marketed to dieters?

I'm still kind of curious about this. (I'm pretty sure this has got to be BS, though.)

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Jorpho wrote:By the way, I suppose all those supplements marketed to bodybuilders with claims of "revving up your metabolism" and "burning through 10% of your body fat" are just as effective as the ones marketed to dieters?

I'm still kind of curious about this. (I'm pretty sure this has got to be BS, though.)

Rubbing the cream in stimulates blood flow to the skin... slight effect?
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

Return to “Fit Club”