6-pack

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Re: What are the best exercises for getting ripped abs?

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

Victoria Maddison wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
CaptainNurple wrote:weight-lifting is one of the best ways to slim down, since it ups your overall metabolism/daily energy expenditure
Pretty sure they've debunked that one, too.
Weight lifting does significantly increase average daily metabolic rate.
Well, no sense in arguing about it if neither of us can be bothered to post links, ahaha.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:21 pm UTC

Victoria Maddison wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
CaptainNurple wrote:weight-lifting is one of the best ways to slim down, since it ups your overall metabolism/daily energy expenditure

So does any other type of exercise.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Victoria Maddison

Postby Victoria Maddison » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:41 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:So does any other type of exercise.

Metabolism returns to baseline around an hour after jogging. It's the high intensity exercises like weightlifting, sprinting, plyometrics, etc. that raise metabolism for an extended period of time.

bryanchan2

Re: 6-pack

Postby bryanchan2 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Unlimited situps are the worst way to get a six pack, trust me, I get paid to teach people how to get lean. (personal Trainer)

You will need to first see how much you are drinking, you need to get to at LEAST 2litres per DAY

You will need to assess how much meals you have in the day. you NEED at least 4-5 to speed your metabolism. (which makes it easier to lose fat off your midsection)

Then you need to workout with compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, due to contrary belief, to get a six pack you need to NOT work on your ab situps and instead to work on the BIG exercises that HUGELY impact them like the exercises I listed before.

Add the three elements, I guarantee you will see results

please don't take what I said lightly, I charge my clients up to $100 per hour.

need help? just blast me a pm and Ill do my best.

:)

bbq

Postby bbq » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:22 pm UTC

Just saying, squats and deadlifts don't really work my abs.. Then again my abs are pretty strong, so maybe my deadlift and squat just need raising before they start working them.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

Squats etc. seem to work my abs pretty hard. It's different from the sort of work they do in, say, crunches; their job is isometric. Are you consciously contracting your abs and back?

They play a more active role in the press: they contribute to 'getting under the bar', and keep you from laying back too much.

fooliam

Postby fooliam » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

There is actually a trick to getting a 6-pack pretty quick. The first step is to get lean. If you a lot of subcutaneous abdominal fat, you won't get any muscle definition, so you won't notice you're 6-pack. So, eat right, run a lot, get lean is the first step. The 2nd step is to realize that a 6-pack is resultant from the muscle fibers between the tendenous inscriptions (horizontal lines in the six-pack) being large. In other words, you need those fibers to undergo hypertrophy. Now, would you just do tons of bicep curls to get big biceps? Of course not! (at least, not if you know anything about muscle physiology). Instead, you would do few reps at increased resistance. Something like 4 or 5 sets of 4-6 reps a piece. If thats the best way to stimulate muscle hypertrophy, and hypertrophy is needed to get a good 6-pack, why would you not do that?
So find a way to significantly increase the resistance of your abdominal workout (not so much the twisting, as thats particularly dangerous, but the work you do for trunk flexion), to the point where 4-6 repetitions per set is challenging, and do 4-5 sets, 2-3 days a week.
My personal favorite is this:
Find a tricep cable pull-down machine. Put some weight on the stack, then get on your knees, facing the machine, and a bit aways from it. Tuck your arms beside/behind your head, and very slowly and with good control do a crunch towards the floor. Be careful coming up, making sure you stay in control of the weight. The movement is kind of like how Muslims pray, if that makes sense.

Bought ME2 based on my totally useful poll :-)

CaptainNurple

Postby CaptainNurple » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:21 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Victoria Maddison wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
Well, no sense in arguing about it if neither of us can be bothered to post links, ahaha.

A quick pub med search brings up whatever confirmation someone might want. It's fairly logical though: lean muscle mass has a higher daily energy requirement than fat (and of course also a higher energy requirement than no muscle at all :). So if you add muscle tissue, your body's energy demands go up.

For example, a pub med search for "resistance training" + "metabolic rate" brings up (among others) this broad overview paper from the Kinesiology lab at University of Connecticut. Note second sentence: "[Resistance training] has been shown to reduce body fat, increase basal metabolic rate, decrease blood pressure..." etc

linky: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12831709

bbq

Postby bbq » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:41 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Squats etc. seem to work my abs pretty hard. It's different from the sort of work they do in, say, crunches; their job is isometric. Are you consciously contracting your abs and back?

They play a more active role in the press: they contribute to 'getting under the bar', and keep you from laying back too much.

I'm not sure. My back is definitely in a good, tight position, but I've never really payed much attention to my abs in squats.

I definitely agree with the press bit - a fair few of my friends press weight is hindered by their weak abs, due to the fact that they can't push it up without almost bending over backwards.

Two good exercises for ab strength that I do occasionally are hanging leg lifts and the ab wheel. You need a bit of ab strength to do them, but I can definitely feel them working.

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

Yeah but when you take a big breath and put your chest out your core needs to be kept stable to stop you slouching over. Slaughter your abs in a real intense core workout then try do a set of squats. You'll definitely feel them then.

bbq

Postby bbq » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

I guess. Maybe my ab strength is just much more developed than my squat weight.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 pm UTC

CaptainNurple wrote:Note second sentence: "[Resistance training] has been shown to reduce body fat, increase basal metabolic rate, decrease blood pressure..." etc
Y'know, there have been cases in the medical literature where paper A says "it has been shown" citing paper B, and paper B says "it is known" citing paper C, and paper C says "it is established", and so on down to paper Q which is in German from the 1910's and actually says something else entirely.

But I can't be arsed to find the reference for something like that either, so I guess I fail.

[EDIT: I did find the reference to the reference I had in mind in regards to resting metabolism, and it turns out I completely misread it.]

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:10 am UTC

fooliam wrote:Find a tricep cable pull-down machine. Put some weight on the stack, then get on your knees, facing the machine, and a bit aways from it. Tuck your arms beside/behind your head, and very slowly and with good control do a crunch towards the floor. Be careful coming up, making sure you stay in control of the weight. The movement is kind of like how Muslims pray, if that makes sense.
Maybe I just don't know what kind of pull-down machine you're referring to, but I pondered this exercise the other day and it doesn't seem like the handle can get anywhere near the floor unless the cable machine is either very tall or has very little weight on it.

fooliam

Postby fooliam » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
fooliam wrote:Find a tricep cable pull-down machine. Put some weight on the stack, then get on your knees, facing the machine, and a bit aways from it. Tuck your arms beside/behind your head, and very slowly and with good control do a crunch towards the floor. Be careful coming up, making sure you stay in control of the weight. The movement is kind of like how Muslims pray, if that makes sense.
Maybe I just don't know what kind of pull-down machine you're referring to, but I pondered this exercise the other day and it doesn't seem like the handle can get anywhere near the floor unless the cable machine is either very tall or has very little weight on it.

Found a picture! Image

So just assume the position that guy is doing...then curl the torso. Does wonders for the abs.

Bought ME2 based on my totally useful poll :-)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:55 am UTC

Ah, of course - he's got one of those rope-thingies. Makes sense. (I don't see those too often.)

Solt

Postby Solt » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:16 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Ah, of course - he's got one of those rope-thingies. Makes sense. (I don't see those too often.)

You can find them in any half-way decent gym. You can do it with pretty much any other attachment too.

fooliam wrote:Now, would you just do tons of bicep curls to get big biceps? Of course not! (at least, not if you know anything about muscle physiology). Instead, you would do few reps at increased resistance. Something like 4 or 5 sets of 4-6 reps a piece. If thats the best way to stimulate muscle hypertrophy, and hypertrophy is needed to get a good 6-pack, why would you not do that?

Can you point out any other (authoritative) people who say this is effective, or at least confirm that it gave you a six pack anecdotally? Because I'm totally inclined to believe you because the logic makes perfect sense, but you're the first person in this thread to advocate this method. Everyone else seems to have gotten a six pack with an ungodly number of crunches which makes no sense since, for example, endurance runners have very thin legs (compared to sprinters). Endurance crunching should not be giving people big abs. And yet...

I do have the genetics to get abs but I am currently bulking up every muscle on my body which means I have enough fat to cover mine for now thanks to the excess calories. I want to build them up correctly the first time so when I shed the fat I have abs. Should I be doing massive numbers of crunches, or fewer weighted crunches/situps, or what.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

tdug1991

Postby tdug1991 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

If it helps, I played Dance Dance Revolution for six months and got a six pack. (In 7th grade). That game can get crazy, especially if you play the game by Roxor called "In The Groove". It takes time to get good, but I swear that at any time I can lose 2 pounds in one day now. (excluding water weight)

It doesn't *just* burn calories, it is definitely an intense ab workout.

Return to “Fit Club”