fitness for summer

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

crp

fitness for summer

Postby crp » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:19 am UTC

I am 16 and 130 lbs, and plan to get a lot fitter over the summer

Right now I bench 125 lbs 7-9 times
Curl 25 lbs hand-weights about 10-15 times
Can do about 45-55 push-ups
Can manage about 150 sit-ups in a minute
And I feel super unfit

I absolutely can not find any good information on exercise without sorting through dozens of websites that offer absolutely NO /*free*/ help. I know to stay hydrated, I exercise about 5 times a week and I eat plenty of protein afterward. I've looked into books, but they're all really expensive, ranging from $20(for basic information) to $300(full-body fitness plans)

Anyway here is my workout routine, CRTITIQUE
stretch
Benchpress 125 lbs, 7-9 times
110 lbs leg-weight(where you extend your leg outward while sitting, don't know the name)
20-30 times
stretch
55lbs leg-weight(lay on your stomach and curl weights to your back) 10-15 times
stretch
Curl 25lbs weights 8-10 times
50-75 sit ups
Heel lifts with 50lbs of weight, 50-75 times
30-45 push-ups
20 lunges
stretch...
5-10 pull-ups

and starting on Tues(summer vacation) I will be running up stairs and be doing anywhere from 4 to 6 30-second sprints

I guess it would be helpful to know that I am getting fit for Tennis and Track, and (hopefully) in 2 years the USAFA(US air force academy). I would like to improve my sprint speed, my jump, my lung capacity and my overall workout endurance.
One handicap I do face is my right lung is out of place do to surgery, meaning that even though its displacement will prevent it from shrinking again, pull-ups, very heavy breathing and swimming (and laughing) can cause spasms similar to getting the wind knocked out of you, with an added bonus of pain(nothing severe). This rarely occurs however, and should not be a major factor

I'm hopeful there are people here who can spot all the holes in my routine, and any critiquing is appreciated. Make me a machine

PS: I have access to the local YMCA
EDIT: Finally found a good sight. What I actually managed to learn in a few minutes:
I should focus on one area at a time
I should get some variety going here
I should work out multiple times on a less amount of days but keep cardio going
Incorporate sets >_>
Too many muscle names

nezha

Re: fitness for summer

Postby nezha » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:26 am UTC

A few quick recommendations. First of all, if you have a rack and sufficient weights, you should add in squats. Full squats are a much better leg exercise than leg extensions and leg curls, and they are very effective in building full body muscle and strength, believe it or not.

The second thing would be to put the bigger exercises first. That is, put compound movements like pull ups and lunges and stuff earlier in your workout, and put the isolation stuff closer to the end. Of course, current fitness trends seem to be against doing isolation exercises at all, but I feel that if they do not interfere with your performance in the compound exercises then there is no problem. They are not required though.

The last thing I would recommend is to save all your stretching for after your workout. Stretching during your workout doesn't give much additional benefit, and can actually decrease your performance in heavier lifts.

If you want a more specific example:

day one:
squats 5x3
barbell rows 5x3

day two:
romanian deadlifts 5x3
bench press 5x3

I alternate these monday wednesday friday. alongside this I also do a "greasing the groove" style program for handstand pushups. if you are interested you can google it, I know for sure that there is a lot of free stuff online about that.

hope this helps.
A good friend isn't someone who pulls you out of a fight. A good friend is someone who comes in with a flying kick.

artofwar64

Postby artofwar64 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:25 am UTC

Until you are an experienced weight trainer you shouldn't be throwing together your own routines. You run the risk of overdeveloping some areas, under developing others, and potentially injuring yourself. From a quick glance, I would think that your plan would result in some serious overtraining (you break muscle down more quickly than you can repair it). I've been training on and off for four years, and I still don't create/modify my own routines. You can actually find some pretty good routines for free by just googling "weight training routines".

I don't know exactly what your goals are, but I would recommend riptoes starting strength routine, listed here: http://forum.dutchbodybuilding.com/f141 ... ine-63770/. This routine should help you find the results you're looking for, whether they be strength, vanity, or both. If you follow this plan successfully, your results really boil down to how you eat.

If you are interested in a sport specific routine, you should either talk to your coach or google "(insert sport here) workout/weightraining routine".

For the record, these forums are not the greatest place for specific critiques or an analysis of your plan's effectiveness at reaching your goals. In a perfect world, strength gain and fitness would be a matter of of python--these forums would be perfect for you, Linus Torvalds would be ripped, and nerds would be bullying jocks for lunch money.

Primadonna

Postby Primadonna » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Actually, it's great your trying to get fitter over the summer. I'm definatly in the same position as you are.
I do think putting together your own routine is good, however I recommend taking out books on fitness and etcetera.
However, if you're trying to lose weight and you're putting together your own diet plan, don't because you can do damage to your stomach, and I'm speaking form experience.

On the other hand, keep up the self descipline and you'll get the results you want.
[Again, I'm speaking from experience]

Good luck,

MK

crp

Postby crp » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

Eww diets are gross

I don't trust diets, i trust my food and my vitamins >_>

Primadonna

Postby Primadonna » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

crp wrote:Eww diets are gross

I don't trust diets, i trust my food and my vitamins >_>

Haha.. I wish I had the same idea about foods..
I LOVE diets..
name me a diet, I've tried it (most likely) ;)

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

Primadonna wrote:I LOVE diets..

Disclaimer: This is not actually a good idea.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:16 am UTC

You have access to the Y- I assume you have a membership? Get a free orientation, and they'll help you develop an actual workout routine. You need one.

If you don't do that (DO IT!!), here are a few tips.

Warm up and stretch lightly before you workout.
Set a routine and stick to it.
Have at least 48 hours in between working the same muscle groups, and 3-4 non-weight days a week (I'd do some cardio on 2 of those.)
Focus on the big exercises that work all your muscles, and work the muscle groups together. I do legs, abs, and triceps Mon and Thurs, and chest, biceps, back, and shoulders Tues and Fri. The 'big' exercises would be squats, lunges, bench press, chinups, upright row, and maybe a few more that I can't think of right now. Do the big exercises FIRST (squats before leg curls) and do core (abs and back) LAST. You need the smaller muscle groups and the core to stabilise you for the big exercises- otherwise you may hurt yourself.
Keep the weights light and do more reps. Increase the weights when you can do 2 or 3 sets of 12-15 comfortably. If you're exhausted when you finish an exercise, or can't do at least 10 reps, reduce the weight. You're 16, don't injure yourself. I have a chronic shoulder injury that'll be with me for the rest of my life, and prevents me from doing a lot of things. Don't end up like me.
Don't neglect your shoulders. Try to fit in some front, side, and rear raises to strengthen the muscles that help keep your shoulders in their socket. Mine don't work. The pain when it dislocates is damn near unimaginable, and if you do it once, you'll do it many more times.
When you are learning new exercises, the first few times, do LIGHT weights and focus on your technique. ESPECIALLY squats and lunges. Make sure that your back is tight, that your knees never go in front of your toes, that you keep your chest out and your head out. Those two are really easy ways to hurt yourself badly.
Don't do any olympic lifts until you have someone who knows what they are doing (a trainer, ideally) show you them and spot you. Another really easy way to hurt yourself badly. Also, keep the weights light. They ARE great exercises, but you're a bit young to do them with a lot of weight.
Don't take shortcuts. When in doubt, don't try it. You want to be able to throw a ball? I can't, and I'm only 20. Don't take the risk.

For your abs:
Situps aren't that efficient. Try the roman chair, leg raises, bicycles, etc. You can mix them up each workout, because they all hit slightly different parts. Try to get a few sets of something that works your side in at the same time (i.e. bicycles). Also, bridges are good (they suck a lot). Start at 30 seconds on sides and 1 min on front, and increase at will- not going to hurt yourself with those.
For your back: They should have a back extension thing. Use it. If it's too easy (i.e. you can do 3 sets of 15 easy), start holding some weights while you do it (start with a 10).

Primadonna

Postby Primadonna » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:
Primadonna wrote:I LOVE diets..

Disclaimer: This is not actually a good idea.

Good call!

@psych0 ... Thanks for the tips, I found them pretty helpful!

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

Hum, something I've noticed a lot of lifters neglecting: stomach! This is an area you can heavily train every time you're doing a session, while with most other muscle groups it's better to have a a long cooling down period, a la for a 3-workouts a week system, you'd train every major muscle group once and the stomach each day. Some sit-ups just aren't enough, changing the plan roughly every two weeks and having a decent number of reps/cycles will most probably help you a long way in the general building up/strengthening your core. It's just infinitely sad seeing biceps-triceps guys without any definable abdomen or legs, ruins my whole gym experience. ;>
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

nezha

Postby nezha » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

Mercy wrote:Hum, something I've noticed a lot of lifters neglecting: stomach! This is an area you can heavily train every time you're doing a session, while with most other muscle groups it's better to have a a long cooling down period, a la for a 3-workouts a week system, you'd train every major muscle group once and the stomach each day. Some sit-ups just aren't enough, changing the plan roughly every two weeks and having a decent number of reps/cycles will most probably help you a long way in the general building up/strengthening your core. It's just infinitely sad seeing biceps-triceps guys without any definable abdomen or legs, ruins my whole gym experience. ;>

I know I'm just weird, but it kind of irritates me when people say core when they mean abs. Your "core" is more than just your abs, you know.

Also, why would trying multiple diets be bad? As long as you didn't do them all at once and gave yourself a little break in between, wouldn't that be the best way to evaluate first hand which diet suits you best?

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

I didn't mean core as abdomen, I meant core as 'the rest of it' as well. Most complex exercises that center on the abdomen are usually rather good for generally body strengthening in my opinion. Correct me if I'm still wrong in the use of the term. :]
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

nezha

Postby nezha » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

Well, your lower back is a very important part of your core. Perhaps more important than the abdominals, depending on the circumstances. What exercises that center on the abdomen would work your lower back? Or general body strengthening?

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:29 am UTC

Diets are bad because most studies examining the issue have found that most people gain, rather than lose weight while on a diet, or that any lost weight is highly temporary. Additionally, chronic dieters are FAR more likely to have disordered eating and binge eating. The ONLY way to diet effectively is to slowly cut back on high-sugar, high-fat foods, while following an exercise plan.

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:07 am UTC

nezha wrote:Well, your lower back is a very important part of your core. Perhaps more important than the abdominals, depending on the circumstances. What exercises that center on the abdomen would work your lower back? Or general body strengthening?

There there, don't get irate now, I meant no harm. :]

nezha

Postby nezha » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

Mercy wrote:
nezha wrote:Well, your lower back is a very important part of your core. Perhaps more important than the abdominals, depending on the circumstances. What exercises that center on the abdomen would work your lower back? Or general body strengthening?

There there, don't get irate now, I meant no harm. :]

Hmm sorry if I came across as angry. Maybe I should have put a smiley face at the end of my post? I was actually seriously asking those questions.

:]

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

Generally the Fitness ball/Swiss ball/whatever you want to call it has done the trick for me, even though I figure it could be considered slightly queer for male beings. Because exercise methods can inform sexual preference? Please leave possible judgments out of this. The forum is for fitness tips, and this is a good one for anyone to try. -l

(Also Pilates is superb for core strengthening with emphasis on abs from my limited experience.)

Return to “Fit Club”