Swiss ball

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Benitosimies

Swiss ball

Postby Benitosimies » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

I don't know wtf to do with one of these so I googled 'swiss ball exercise'. I'm posting some results here to be helpful to others. One of them has a video so if you watch this at work have flashblock or something I guess.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/fitness_to ... _list.html
http://www.jumpusa.com/swissexercises2.html
хлэб и Воля

Patrick Donnelly

Re: Swiss ball

Postby Patrick Donnelly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Poke a hole in it, fill it two thirds full of water, patch the hole.

Now go walk half a mile while carrying it.

Seriously. It will be a much more challenging stability workout than any other exercise you can do with it.
(The "slosh pipe," a long, thick PVC pipe full halfway with water is also great.)

Edit: I mean it. Seriously. It sounds crazy, because it is, but it's good stuff.
My Training Blog: Gymnastics, Weightlifting, and CrossFit.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 am UTC

I actually prefer those "half-balls". You can do lunges or squats on them (round side up for easiness, down for difficulty) and it REALLY works your stability muscles. I don't find much use for Swiss balls themselves. They're occasionally handy to sit on when all the benches are in use, I guess.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Mostly I do push ups and crunches- basic things are just more fun when you're doing them on a big bouncy ball. I also do squats with the ball between me and the wall. And then my friend Catherine starts twining around my arms when I've been holding a plank for a while and am at the very end of my strength, which makes for an interesting end to things.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:24 am UTC

Patrick Donnelly wrote:Poke a hole in it, fill it two thirds full of water, patch the hole.

Now go walk half a mile while carrying it.

Seriously. It will be a much more challenging stability workout than any other exercise you can do with it.
(The "slosh pipe," a long, thick PVC pipe full halfway with water is also great.)

Edit: I mean it. Seriously. It sounds crazy, because it is, but it's good stuff.

Maybe. But I used one for my "off day" routine. It's a pretty neat thing to have.

LL Love

Postby LL Love » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

Last summer I ended up heading off across the country to stay with some buddies totally unprepared. So for a few months their two swiss balls were the only actual equipment I had to work with. All the exercises I do with them have been bodyweight only, and can be made even more metal with the addition of some good dumbbells.

First off, I can't emphasize this enough, learn to stand on the ball. It seems freakin' impossible but actually just takes ten or twenty minutes of calibration before you start to get the hang of it. Find a bar or ledge that you can grab onto about 7 feet above the floor, use it to pull yourself up until you're standing on the ball, find your center or whatever zen craziness you want to pull, and just focus on your balance until you get it. If you give it half an hour at a time, you'll be set within the week. Just standing on it will freak out all the stabilizer muscles in your legs and lower back. You'll definitely feel it in your legs and feet.

Beyond that, there's the typical slew of lifts that just use the ball as a really inconvenient bench. You can do barbell and dumbell versions of most lifts on them, and will have to lower the weight just to struggle through them. Most people aren't balanced, and the ball is going to force you to use your off side.

One of the very best things to try is to put your feet on a desk or table, your hands on the ball, and just do some pushups. Having to balance with your hands open is hard enough, if you can do 40 or 50 pushups on the ground, you might be able to do 10 or 15 of these. If they're too easy do them with your fists so that you can't use your wrists to keep the ball stable. (In my case, I'd switch to a fist with one hand and then alternate. Both fists was just intense and I'd be out after two or three reps)

You can do a lot of good abdominal and back training once you can balance along the ball. Most of the arch training I did before I started getting heavily into skydiving was on the ball because imbalance in the air will send you into a spin.

Right now I'd kill for one of those things here at the dropzone.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

Ooh, that pushups on the ball things sounds like it might actually work with my friend Catherine interference problem. I'll give it a shot.

Speaking of exercise balls, are there any particularly short people who would like one? I have one that's too small for me (I'm 5'3 with particularly long legs, for reference) I'd be happy to get it out of my apartment.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Sober

Postby Sober » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Swiss balls are the nuts. Here's something to try for any lifters out there: Any lift you would do on a flat/incline bench, do on the ball. I did exclusively swissball dumbell bench press for ~3 weeks, and my core stability went through the roof.

Greater CNS stimulation, improved proprioception, better balance and stability.. you could be fit for life with a swiss ball and a set of dumbells.

Return to “Fit Club”