Got a bunch of cargo shorts I want to wear again

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Kirby54925

Got a bunch of cargo shorts I want to wear again

Postby Kirby54925 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:09 am UTC

Okay, here's my profile:

Height: 5'5"
Starting weight: 220
Goal weight: 140
Current waist size: 40

I've been reading what others have to say, and for those who are bitching about being 150 or 160 and want to drop down to 130-140, I envy you very very much. For my entire life, I have always been overweight (or obese, given these figures). I want that to change. I'm very damn close to reaching the physical peak in my life, and I don't want to squander it. I think a bit more than a year is somewhat reasonable for losing 80 lbs, right? I plan on losing the weight by doing the thing that allowed me to lose 30 lbs in 4 months a few years back: eat less. (Stress from school led me to gain 40 lbs from a low of 180.) Not to the point of being extremely hungry, but enough to feel a slight tinge of hunger. I am also taking some martial arts classes so I would go out and move about instead of being in front of the computer or TV playing video games all day.

recurve boy

Re: Got a bunch of cargo shorts I want to wear again

Postby recurve boy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:That's a lot to cut out, especially because you'd have to maintain it for a year, AND that assumes that weight loss works in a simple sense, which it doesn't because your body will think it's starving and start to conserve more energy. Meaning you'll feel awful and tired and angry if you try to lose weight at this pace.

Yeah. You don't necessarily want to just eat less. You want to eat what your body needs. There is simply no need to "diet" to lose weight.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

As long as you do it in a healthy way, cutting out EXTRA food you're eating can definitely help you lose weight. This is assuming you still eat a balanced diet, and don't bother cutting out specific foods because you'll just crave them later and binge on them. Just eat a smaller quantity when you do have them.

The most important tips I've gotten when losing weight were 1) don't have a calorie deficit of more than 800 a day, and 2) don't eat less than 1200 calories in a day. In other words, if you burn 2000 calories in a day, you can eat as few as 1200 without making your body think that it's starving. If you burn 3000 calories, you need to eat at least 2200. If you burn 1800, you should still eat at least 1200.

The hardest thing is figuring out what you're burning. I love the site caloriecount.about.com, because if you enter your weight, age, gender, and activity level, it can tell you how much you burn in a day. It also lets you write down exactly how much you exercise and how many calories you eat in a day, as well as the balance between protein, fat, and carbs. It really helped me figure out how I should be eating, and even now that I've stopped logging my calories, I've still learned enough to check myself when I'm not eating in a healthy way.

It's possible to lose 1-2 lbs a week, but it really involves a lifestyle change, not just dieting until you're down to where you want to be and then going back to how you ate before. In the beginning you'll lose quickly, and then it'll slow and sometimes plateau at one spot for a while for no discernible reason. For me, I lost around 15 lbs my first month, 10 my second, and then nothing for 2 months. It's hard to stay on track, which is why I recommend a website to help you keep track of how you're doing, or a diary or something that holds you accountable and keeps you going.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Sparv

Postby Sparv » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

Kirby54925 wrote:I am also taking some martial arts classes

What martial art are you planning to practice? Why do you want to practice it?

The second question is important if you plan to practice it for at least a whole year.
Shit happens

Kirby54925

Postby Kirby54925 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:40 am UTC

I'm currently taking up Shotokan karate, but I'm going to take judo in the fall because I can't take night classes (the karate class is at night during the fall semester and I don't have a car to drive home with; however, the judo class is around noon). I've always wanted to take up judo, but for the past few years, I never had the time to do it. Now that my school situation changed a little bit, I now have a bit more freedom to do the stuff I've been yearning to do for years.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll see how I can implement your ideas. I'll report back in about a month or so after I tried some of your ideas.

Sparv

Postby Sparv » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:09 am UTC

You should be extremely careful when you choose where you practice. From what I heard, there is a lot of McDojos in the USA (i'm assuming you live in the USA ;) ).

Basically, the more you pay the worse is the teaching.
If you have doubts, register on http://www.e-budo.com/forum/.
Shit happens

Kirby54925

Postby Kirby54925 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Yeah, I'm taking that karate course at a community college. The instructor's all right. He doesn't BS with us or anything like that.

Anyhow, to get back on topic, I still haven't seen much results yet, but then again, I just started a short while ago! More to come later.

Return to “Fit Club”