I'm getting married...

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Re: I'm getting married...

Postby 22/7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

Solt wrote:Believe it if you want. In my opinion telling people that walking can be legitimate cardio won't help them lose weight. True, it's far better than being sedentary, but that isn't OP's, situation; she wants more. Power walking is a specific skill, like running, and most people can't do it without first practicing and building up to it. Besides, it burns the same number of calories as running at an equivalent (slow) speed.
... So you don't believe that weight loss/gain is a matter of calories in versus calories out? Because I was under the impression that it was a matter of calories in versus calories out. Or maybe you were under the impression that walking doesn't burn calories? No, you say right there that it's better than being sedentary. Hmmm... And there you're saying that power walking X miles burns the same number of calories as running X miles, but it's not going to make you lose weight. I'm sorry, but I'm not following your logic at all. Let's try this next bit.
Solt wrote:The fact that a 12 minute mile made OP tired shows that her supposed power walking wasn't that intensive. One thing is for sure: if walking is all it takes to get your heart rate above 100, then you are seriously unfit and will not be losing weight from it.
So wait, if you're unfit, running won't help you lose weight? Right. Only the fit people can lose weight running. And I'm sorry, but a 12 minute mile isn't particularly terrible. I'm currently 6'1", ~155 and while a 12 minute mile wouldn't double me over in pain, I'd probably be winded by it and might have my heart rate up to about 100. And I would gurant-damn-tee that my form is better than PS's, since competitive running was most of what I did 50 weeks out of the year for about 4 years, which just means that she's doing the same thing I am but less efficiently, which means she'd be burning more calories i.e. getting more benefit from it.

So yeah, is there a particular reason you're being needlessly critical here? I mean, if you were at least doing it correctly I could probably let it slide, but you're spewing some nonsense here that's, well, just wrong. I mean, X made you tired so it's clearly not that intensive? ???
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

BiancaBlack

Postby BiancaBlack » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:06 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I have made a tentative goal of doing the local annual 5k charity run on the 4th of July. I know it will be hotter then, and there will be hills and such, so it's ambitious. But 6 months...maybe?

If you want a beginner's program to help you work up to 5k, you might want to look at the couch to 5 k-plan from coolrunning.com (link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). I've been following it for the past few weeks and so far it's been great - I feel challenged but at the end of each week I can see that I've improved and so it gives me a sense of accomplishment. (Also, there's a free music podcast for this plan in the iTunes store, and though the music is nowhere near my normal thing, it really does help keep me motivated while I'm running)

If you choose to make your own running plan, what I've been told by people more qualified than me is that as a new runner you should always start out slow (and that in most cases that means slower than people tend to think).

Anyways, whichever way you choose, good luck! And congrats on your accomplishments so far :)
This one time at, er, space camp...

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:39 am UTC

22/7 wrote:... So you don't believe that weight loss/gain is a matter of calories in versus calories out? Because I was under the impression that it was a matter of calories in versus calories out.

Indeed it is. I can't seem to find where I said otherwise.

At 1100 Calories OP risks losing critical non-caloric nutrients if she cuts down food intake anymore. In fact, she's probably dangerously low as is. Thus, the only solution is to burn dramatically more calories per day. As scwizard calculated, she needs to burn 340 Calories/day to meet her goals, assuming no increase in food intake (which is unlikely... you can't run if you're half starved).

22/7 wrote:Or maybe you were under the impression that walking doesn't burn calories? No, you say right there that it's better than being sedentary.

It burns some. But considering that OP already walks on a daily basis, I'm pretty sure we can say that it's not enough.

22/7 wrote:Hmmm... And there you're saying that power walking X miles burns the same number of calories as running X miles, but it's not going to make you lose weight.

No, I didn't say that. Not at all. You are basically making things up.

I don't know if walking x miles will burn more calories than running x miles. That depends on a lot of factors. However, I do know that running for y minutes will burn a helluva lot more calories than walking for y minutes. My point was that powerwalking has an upper speed limit, which is the lower speed limit of running. Thus, in powerwalking you will never burn more than a certain rate, while running you have the potential to go much higher. Considering this, it is pretty evident that the average person is far more likely to lose weight by running than by powerwalking.

22/7 wrote:So wait, if you're unfit, running won't help you lose weight?

Correct. If you're unfit, running could cause you to die. Have you ever tried running for 30 minutes after not having done any cardio for 6 months? Don't. It doesn't matter what the speed is; if you're unfit you don't have the endurance to run for extended periods, and thus cannot burn many calories (though I'm sure the rate at which those calories are burnt is quite high for that short time period). If you try to go too far and too fast too soon, you will become light headed, your sides will hurt, your extremities will become weak, you may throw up, and any heart defects will reveal themselves. You will not make it far, or burn many calories. This is why you have to become fit before you start losing weight by running, which means slowly increasing your range and speed over a period of weeks.

22/7 wrote:which just means that she's doing the same thing I am but less efficiently, which means she'd be burning more calories i.e. getting more benefit from it.

But she's not capable of running for an extended period of time, which is what it takes to burn calories. The only benefit she's getting at this point is that next time around, her body will be more fit and she'll be able to run longer. It's like an investment that has yet to pay dividends.

22/7 wrote:So yeah, is there a particular reason you're being needlessly critical here?

I really am trying to help, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting my time in this thread. I think running will help PS (and in fact most young, healthy overweight people) far more than walking. That's all I want to say, really.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:39 am UTC

Um. I assure you, running will not cause me to die. When I say that I am "unfit," I mean that I am overweight and not in peak physical condition. I don't mean that I'm a blob of ill cardiovascular health. Running a mile does not feel fantastic, but it's quite safe for me to do so.

Speaking of which, I just ran 1.2 miles in 11:45. So, I can now run more than a mile in less than 12 minutes. Yay! I did that tonight, along with 1 mile of walking, 10 minutes on the eliptical, and 5 minutes or so on a funny climbing machine. I feel pretty good about myself, exercisily speaking.

I also went and tried on wedding dresses on Monday, and I looked like an abominable snowman. They are truly absurd garments.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

Yay, good for you!

I have to ask. Was the funny climbing machine a stair master (unending steps or a couple of paddles that go up really easy but have resistance going down) or one of those so-called "climbing treadmills" (think vertical treadmill with climbing holds on it)?

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

It was a stairmaster, except that it had handles that also moved. Basically the motion you are doing is climbing up a ladder, I think.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

Sorry for doubleposting, I think I'm just sort of adopting this thread as a bloggy thing.

Zumba was cancelled again today. I have yet to zumba. :(

I am getting discouraged. I have gained 2 pounds back, despite keeping up with my diet and exercising. I am steadily improving in how fast and how easily I can do a mile on the treadmill. I feel like I'm getting to be in better shape. But my clothes all fit the same and I am not losing anymore weight. I loathe my genetics. I don't know how it is that I was born with this weight problem (seriously. I've had it my entire life, and I was a VERY active child who played soccer, volleyball, was on swimteam, and did a lot of horseback riding), but yet my mother and sister think they're fat when they hit 120 pounds. It's about the most frustrating thing ever.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

Don't get discouraged! It sounds like you're doing great with your running! If you're doing better with a mile on the treadmill, try running 1 1/4 next time. Also remember that fluctuations of a pound or two (or three or four, really) could be anything from muscle gained/lost to water to how much undigestible food is on its way out.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

Sarah, as I have been telling you, fitness is a long-term goal. You don't lose more than 1 pound a week healthily. You also can't weigh yourself every day. Fluctuations happen between days and weeks. It has to be at least a 4-week trend and you have to be weighing yourself at the same time every week, preferably on an empty stomach.

That is to say, don't get discouraged!
Last edited by psyck0 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

I came to Fit Club to find your thread :) It looks to me like your body is probably gaining muscle and losing fat from the running. That happened to me when I started losing weight, I gained some before I started losing. The important thing, I think, is to keep up the routine you're on, and make sure you're increasing your calorie intake on the days you're working out. That website that I PM'd you about tells me that you probably burn about 1900 calories a day when you are completely inactive. With those workouts you're doing, plus normal daily activity, you probably burn closer to 2400 on the days that you do work out or go for walks.

All of the advice I've seen on that website, which is the one that helped me drop 35 pounds in about a year, says that under no circumstances should you have more than an 800 calorie deficit on any one day, or else you'll plateau because your body thinks it's starving. Which means if you do NO activity, you shouldn't consume under 1100 calories (like your nutritionist said). But on the days you do exercise, it should be more like 1600 calories. A lot of that should be protein. If you can up your calorie intake, I will guarantee that you'll start losing. It worked for me and all the other people on the website that I talked to.

And I also want to say that mathematically, you will not gain anything unless you eat more than you burn. By burning 2400ish on the days you're exercising, you can eat more and not gain. The only reason you'd be gaining without eating more than 2400 calories those days is either because you're gaining muscle, or if your body believes it's starving and starts storing fat.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

waltwhitmanheadedbat

Postby waltwhitmanheadedbat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:12 am UTC

Is your vegetarianism ideological/ethical, to treat a particular problem, or for fitness?

I had a hell of a time controlling my intake/hunger and losing weight when I ate vegetarian. I was a "good" vegetarian too, and incorporated a fair amount of beans/sprouts/whole grains and stuff like that.

(Not that I have any business commenting on it if you're doing it for ethical reasons.)

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:53 am UTC

It's mostly ethical. I am also a "good" vegetarian as far as not eating junk food (mostly) goes, but I don't *really* call myself a vegetarian. I eat dairy products, eggs, honey, and fish. I give up entirely when I go to dim sum. The more I cook for myself, though, the less meat and animal protein in general I eat. When I cook for other people, I find it much easier to make meals that incorporate meat or animal proteins of some sort.

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:38 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Um. I assure you, running will not cause me to die. When I say that I am "unfit," I mean that I am overweight and not in peak physical condition. I don't mean that I'm a blob of ill cardiovascular health. Running a mile does not feel fantastic, but it's quite safe for me to do so.

Yes, I know. I wasn't referring to you, I was giving a really extreme example in a pointless attempt to prove 22/7 wrong, which is something of an idle hobby of mine. Sorry for temporarily hijacking your thread (I'm sure he's sorry too), just ignore us.

Speaking of which, I just ran 1.2 miles in 11:45. So, I can now run more than a mile in less than 12 minutes. Yay!

Awesome! Progress is always exciting.

PictureSarah wrote:I am getting discouraged. I have gained 2 pounds back, despite keeping up with my diet and exercising. I am steadily improving in how fast and how easily I can do a mile on the treadmill. I feel like I'm getting to be in better shape. But my clothes all fit the same and I am not losing anymore weight.

I just want to reiterate that you shouldn't give up! Just keep increasing your distance and reducing your time and, like lanicita says, I guarantee that you'll start losing weight. The ability to burn many calories quickly (and safely) is not easy to come by, and you shouldn't expect amazing gains unless you develop the ability first. If you are running 2 miles in 17 minutes and still not losing then you have the right to start getting discouraged but not yet!!

Fitness isn't a short term goal, it's a lifestyle. Make it part of your routine and you will surprise yourself with the results.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

I didn't go to the gym last night because it was snowing, and I'm still learning how to drive a stick shift, so I wasn't really comfortable driving in the snow to the gym :(

It is still snowing. I think we have upwards of a foot now, down in town (3500 feetish), so I know that up on the mountain and up at the ski park, there are probably 3-5 feet of fresh powder. Tomorrow the sun is supposed to come out...I foresee myself skipping the gym in favor of trekking a few miles on snowshoes or x-country skis!

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:29 am UTC

Ok. I went to Zumba tonight. It was...lame. I didn't break a sweat or get my heartrate up the whole time. If I want to dance around all crazy-like just for the hell of it, I can do that at home.

So afterwards I ran my mile (and didn't start huffing and puffing until about the 1/2 mile mark. Yay!), and then did A LOT of weights. Like, about 4 times more than I normally do. My arms are going to hurt tomorrow. But I am totally gettig to have guns. You could see them, if it weren't for all the fat.

*tells people that da beach is dat way*

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:09 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:So afterwards I ran my mile (and didn't start huffing and puffing until about the 1/2 mile mark. Yay!), and then did A LOT of weights. Like, about 4 times more than I normally do. My arms are going to hurt tomorrow. But I am totally gettig to have guns. You could see them, if it weren't for all the fat.

Great! Though when you say you did 4 times more than normal, do you mean repetitions or weight? If the former, you may see diminishing returns as you continue to increase the number.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:24 am UTC

Normally I do only one set of each thing on the weights. I didn't know that was supposed to be a lot more. I was recently told that I should be doing more like 3-4 sets of reps, so tonight I did. I will be sore tomorrow.

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

First off. Good for you for taking this on. My girlfriend is working on a diet so I spend a lot of time cooking for her and working out with her. It's very inspiring. Because of this my diet has gotten tons better.

I think you've got a very realist attitude about this which is great. Exercise and diet go hand in hand. Trying to diet without exercising is futile and trying to exercise while eating like a slob won't get you anywhere. This is stuff you already know tho' so let's move on the inevitable advice section of the post. :D

Running a mile in about 12 minutes is nothing to be ashamed of. I think it's pretty great. There are a couple things I'd say about running. When you're starting out running, don't try too hard for speed, worry more about the amount of time you can run continuously. It'll be better on your body if you wait until you can run solidly for 25-30 minutes before you start working on how far you're going during those 30 minutes. Your muscles will be better conditioned for this sort of exercise by that point.

A very good way to increase your physical endurance is to run intervals instead of running flat out. Run fast (not sprinting but at a good clip) for 2 or 3 minutes then walk for 1 minute. Or just run hard until you're out of breath and then walk and then run again. Do this for 30 minutes. Alternate your workouts between intervals and solid runs where you conserve your energy more. If you've got an mp3 player there are podcasts that you can download that have timers for intervals. I find those to be pretty useful.

This should get you to the point where you can eat comfortably and run comfortably and still lose some weight. Remember to stretch before you start running. Best thing is to do dynamic stretching before and static stretching afterward. Pay special attention to your knees. Women are four times as likely as men to hurt their knees during sports and training.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

You can officially out run me. So next time I see you we can race or something?
(My way of saying "Wow! You are doing so great!")

I was talking to the personal trainer at the YMCA and he said that if you keep doing the same workout you will plateau. So to keep getting benefits (like weight lose) you need to change resistance/exercises/things. Also it will maybe make things less boring?
Also, cross country skiing is supposed to be one of the best cardio work outs, and I am sure beautiful with the fresh snow. /jealous.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Garm

Postby Garm » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:15 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:You can officially out run me. So next time I see you we can race or something?
(My way of saying "Wow! You are doing so great!")

I was talking to the personal trainer at the YMCA and he said that if you keep doing the same workout you will plateau. So to keep getting benefits (like weight lose) you need to change resistance/exercises/things. Also it will maybe make things less boring?
Also, cross country skiing is supposed to be one of the best cardio work outs, and I am sure beautiful with the fresh snow. /jealous.

Sophy's spot on. Make sure that you're working towards some time. Like running for an hour. Or running a 10k. If you get bored of running long distances you can do sprints. :D
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

Well, yesterday I ran 1.25 miles, which is the most I've ran at one time without taking walking breaks in between. That's only about 2km. So it's going to be a while before I can make it to 10, but I'm making progress! Also, my 107 pound sister came with me, and couldn't even run a whole mile without taking walking breaks. I didn't gloat, but that made me feel good.

Today I didn't go to the gym for my cardio. Instead I did about a 3 mile loop on x-country skis. Some ups, some downs. I don't think I breathed as hard as I do when I run, but it was hard work, and my inner thighs are killing me now.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:36 am UTC

Well, after my last post, we got snowed in. I probably *could* have gone to the gym except for one of those days, but I'm still learning how to drive a stick shift, and I didn't feel comfortable driving on the snowy, icy road. I also made homemade bread, and sweet potato latkes, and other non-diet foods...basically I totally blew it for 3 or 4 days. And it resulted in me feeling fat and gross and apathetic. :(

Today, however, I got back in the saddle, so to speak. I ran 1.5 miles. Best yet! 5k doesn't seem so impossible now, I'm improving fairly steadily. I also did 5 miles on the bike. Then I did weights, but it was a pretty half-assed attempt at weights, I was just too exhausted. I think I either need to alternate weight days and cardio days, or I need to do the weights first, after just a small warm-up.

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

I think the 5k was mentioned (by me or whoever else) because it's a nice number and it's a goal to work towards. Personally I find just running to difficult enough. I need something to motivate me, generally a ball of some kind that I can chase. Training for a 5k is something I'm finding doable. Running with the intention of "going long enough to lose some weight" is nebulous enough to be disagreeable. Plus my thought is that once you reach 5k you can make a decision. Do you continue at the pace you're going and shoot for 8k or 10k or do you try for speed in the 5k before going for longer runs.

I think alternating cardio and weights would be a good idea. I've been trying to alternate days between aerobic and anaerobic exercise and it seems to be working. I wouldn't worry too overly much about off diet food. As I've mentioned before my girlfriend is on a diet. She went off diet for a couple of days while we were traveling. When she got back on the diet she dropped a bunch of weight quickly which was good because she'd reached a plateau of sorts. So it could serve to wake your body up.
- JFK

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Hey Sarah, just to chime in, keep up the good work. I'm not sure if you're a competitive person, but setting achievement goals in regards to your workout, not necessarily your body, always worked well for me. Adding weights to the rack or being able to nail a 5.11 without tearing my hands apart was a tangible and evident means for measuring my successes.
Also, your mile time is great, keep running, keep running!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Team503

Postby Team503 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

As an active vegetarian like you, I really, really, really, REALLY need to point out how important it is that you consult a nutritionist regularly about your diet. Yes, this means you need to go back. Don't have a casual chat - log your food intake and your exercise habits, turn it over to your nutritionist, and let them come up with a diet tailored to your specific needs.

In the meantime, make sure you're getting enough protein!

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:04 am UTC

I think I'm generally very good about eating a balanced diet, getting plenty of the vitamin Bs, getting plenty of protein and Omega 3 etc....but I will make an appointment with a nutritionist soon.

In other news. I ran two miles today! Without stopping! AWESOME. One more mile and I can run the 5K! They were not fast miles. They were 12 minutes each. But still, 2 miles without stopping is more than I expected to be able to do this soon. Then I did a bunch of weights. Then I went swimming.

But...I'm not losing any more weight. And I really cannot cut down my calories any more. I am eating little enough as it is. I'm trying not to starve myself, but I am basically never satisfied, and I've been dreaming of cheeseburgers. I don't know what else to do. I'm very discouraged. I'm working my ass off here (or rather, I wish I was). Fitness is great and all, but I want to look nice too!
Last edited by PictureSarah on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:39 am UTC

Congratulations on the progress! I can think of two plausible reasons for the lack of weight loss:
- You have probably burned off some fat, and gained some muscle.
- Your body could be in energy conservation mode, considering you were barely eating enough to maintain the status quo before you started this exercise program. You need more now.
It could, of course, be combination of the two. If your nutritionist OKs it, you might actually want to eat more to offset the second.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Sarah, how many calories a day are you eating right now, and how many do you estimate that you are burning? You want to burn about 250 more than you eat. That works out to about 1lb/week worth of fat in pure energy terms. Also, how often are you making it to the gym? Finally, if you do weights, you MUST do them before cardio or on a different day. You need the energy that cardio burns to lift the weights; otherwise, they're not really helping you any. Try to do compound exercises, as I said, and make sure you're doing enough weight that the last rep is a real struggle, but not so much that your form is wrong.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Do you mean that you literally haven't lost any weight, i.e. the scale reads the same? Do you feel like your body has changed? Do your clothes feel any different?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:01 am UTC

psyck0 wrote:Sarah, how many calories a day are you eating right now, and how many do you estimate that you are burning? You want to burn about 250 more than you eat. That works out to about 1lb/week worth of fat in pure energy terms. Also, how often are you making it to the gym? Finally, if you do weights, you MUST do them before cardio or on a different day. You need the energy that cardio burns to lift the weights; otherwise, they're not really helping you any. Try to do compound exercises, as I said, and make sure you're doing enough weight that the last rep is a real struggle, but not so much that your form is wrong.

How many calories I eat varies. I'm trying to stay between 1200-1500. Today, however, I had 671. I know, I'm bad. Trying to watch what I eat is really making me develop an unhealthy relationship with food. I resent the fact that I can't have what I want, and I feel guilty if I think I've eaten something wrong, or too much of something, and then I start to gag. It's no good. I'm making it to the gym about 4 days a week. I usually do a little cardio to warm up, then do weights, then do the real cardio workout.

Moo wrote:Do you mean that you literally haven't lost any weight, i.e. the scale reads the same? Do you feel like your body has changed? Do your clothes feel any different?

I literally haven't lost any weight, the scale reads the same, my clothes fit the same, I think my body looks the same.

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:47 am UTC

You are eating far far too little. By putting that few calories in your telling your metabolism to slow down to a snails pace.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

I'm going to have to agree with Shocklocks, and recommend you try a different nutritionist and get another opinion. Also, try to be really aware about how you're feeling about food. We REALLY don't want you developing an eating disorder!

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:14 am UTC

I've done slightly better today. After I finish my dinner I will have had 1,054 calories. That's suboptimal, I realize, but it's better than under 700, and I really am pretty full. I also went to the gym. Ran 2 miles, this time was easier and I shaved off 30 seconds per mile. So they were 11:30 per mile. That is not amazing, but it's a pretty decent improvement over less than a week, yes? I also did lots of arm and chest weight things.

Better thing: This morning, for the first time since the end of January, the scale moved! Have evidently lost two more pounds. This has improved my outlook some.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:44 am UTC

Good!

Can I ask again if you know how much you are burning? I have a hard time seeing how you can be doing to the gym and still burning under 2000 calories.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:47 am UTC

I don't really know how much I'm burning per day. Per gym visit...I have no way of knowing how much I burn on weights. If the little calorie-meters on the cardio machines are at all accurate, I'm burning around 260 calories per cardio workout.

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:35 am UTC

There isn't any point including the weights in your calories in / out. They're mainly to add some lean muscle mass and speed up your metabolism. The machines should give a fairly good average however i'd use it more of a means to track improvement(ie burning more calories in the same time period) then an accurate counter. I'm really confused that your nutritionist would advocate such low calories, it sounds like shes just looking to force your body to slowly starve it self rather lose the pounds in a healthy way.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

Shocklocks, you're probably right? I'm going to make an appointment with another nutritionist soon. I think the first one just *didn't believe me* that I was already eating sensibly (and not very much to begin with!) and working out on a regular basis. I encounter this problem a lot. People go on tirades about how the answer to being fat is to "eat less and exercise more," and when I point out that I'm ALREADY doing that, they just say I need to eat even less, and exercise even more. It's not as simple as it seems on the surface, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else, and not one doctor (nutritionist or otherwise) has even acknowledged that they heard me when I explain the whole history about the really extreme weightloss and weightgain (doesn't -40 pounds in 6 weeks for no reason and then +30 in 8 weeks a year later seem noteworthy?).

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am UTC

Good luck!
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Team503

Postby Team503 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Shocklocks, you're probably right? I'm going to make an appointment with another nutritionist soon. I think the first one just *didn't believe me* that I was already eating sensibly (and not very much to begin with!) and working out on a regular basis. I encounter this problem a lot. People go on tirades about how the answer to being fat is to "eat less and exercise more," and when I point out that I'm ALREADY doing that, they just say I need to eat even less, and exercise even more. It's not as simple as it seems on the surface, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else, and not one doctor (nutritionist or otherwise) has even acknowledged that they heard me when I explain the whole history about the really extreme weightloss and weightgain (doesn't -40 pounds in 6 weeks for no reason and then +30 in 8 weeks a year later seem noteworthy?).

Yes, it is QUITE noteworthy. And something that you should be checking with your nutritionist and doctor about. A 70lb weight variation in less than four months is hugely out of the norm, and is something that should be checked into.

As always, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for you to log your intake, workout, and weight during this process, and to share that information with BOTH your doctor and your nutritionist. Trust me, I've been there, and it made a HUGE difference for me once I did and was able to arm my nutritionist with the proper information so she could adjust my diet.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

Well, it wasn't in less than 4 months altogether. Between August 30th 2004 and Halloween of 2004, I'd lost about 40 pounds. Without any diet or exercise, but under a high level of stress. Then, in November 2005 I started the birth control pill, and by the end of January 2006, I'd gained back about 30 pounds.

The last few days I've totally killed my diet. On Thursday I had an english muffin with cream cheese and marmalade and a big cup of hot cocoa. yesterday I went out to dinner with the grandparents to a Chinese buffet, and had pineapple rice, tempura veggies, a couple of cookie things and a soft serve cone. I am terrible. Despite all of that, though, I didn't eat a lot quantity-wise...and I will get back on track today. So everything is not ruined forever. I also somehow pulled a muscle in the back of my thigh. That hurts. We shall see what I can do at the gym today.

Return to “Fit Club”