The Official Running thread!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

el_loco_avs

Re: The Official Running thread!

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri May 29, 2009 9:46 am UTC

I love the feeling of getting back into shape. I had a much more relaxed and effortless run than last week (11k). But i was a minute faster despite actually answering my phone in the middle (I use it as my mp3player)
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 29, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:I love the feeling of getting back into shape.

This. So this. I hit the trail about a month ago and couldn't pull more then 3 miles without feeling achy and sore, and my belt was tight on the fourth notch. Two weeks ago my girlfriend made a deal with me that I could play videogames all night (instead of hanging out with her) if I did 200 situps with her, so after taking her up on that deal four time since, combined with the jogging, I can pull 5 miles at whatever my pace is before I feel sore and achy, and my belt is comfortable at the fourth notch.

Hoorah. It aches so good!

Actually, the most pain i'm experiencing is my ass from biking to and from work.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

WholeLottaSean

Postby WholeLottaSean » Fri May 29, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

As long as you've got a saddle

Threb

Postby Threb » Sat May 30, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I was thinking of beginning to run some over the summer. Is running barefoot okay, or absolutely horrible? Everything I read is talking about shoes, and nothing says anything about not wearing shoes. I like to be barefoot whenever possible. (my callouses are strong because of this.)

Threb

Postby Threb » Sun May 31, 2009 1:46 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Threb wrote:I was thinking of beginning to run some over the summer. Is running barefoot okay, or absolutely horrible? Everything I read is talking about shoes, and nothing says anything about not wearing shoes. I like to be barefoot whenever possible. (my callouses are strong because of this.)

I think the consensus (reached earlier) is that, if it works for you, go for it, just don't step on broken glass.

I'm trying to buy barefoot-like shoes because I have squishy feet.

Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't skim hard enough and didn't think it was the sort of thing that would have been already asked. Thanks, though!

Barefoot-like shoes?

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Sun May 31, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Threb wrote:I was thinking of beginning to run some over the summer. Is running barefoot okay, or absolutely horrible? Everything I read is talking about shoes, and nothing says anything about not wearing shoes. I like to be barefoot whenever possible. (my callouses are strong because of this.)

Also, I have been seeing a LOT of articles lately talking about running barefoot. To me, it seems like it would hurt (especially the shins), but these are serious articles by serious runners. My best recommendation would probably be to try it in small increments, and maybe on grass or a soft track first. But yeah, LOTS of current discussion on it. And maybe if you already go around barefoot a lot, you will have an easier time adapting than most ...

Tell us! For science!

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Sun May 31, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

So I ran about 3 hilly road miles today (~5K) pretty easy. I ran almost the whole way on my toes though. Last... two hundred feet maybe I had to stop. Pretty sure I'll get hardcore blisters if I do it more than once a week, at least to start. Still, it felt pretty good, and my knees felt better than usual.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:29 am UTC

Samsoneffect wrote:Anybody have any advice on how to work on improving the shorter runs, like the 400 and 800? For stuff like the 5 km, I've mostly just been trying to run a little bit farther and a little bit faster each time, but I'm not sure how to work on the shorter faster ones. My bests for the first three are 1:15, 3:05, and 6:58 respectively, for the record.

Do you do any kinds of intervals or speedwork?
lol everything matters
-Ed

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:06 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:I love the feeling of getting back into shape.

This. So this. I hit the trail about a month ago and couldn't pull more then 3 miles without feeling achy and sore, and my belt was tight on the fourth notch. Two weeks ago my girlfriend made a deal with me that I could play videogames all night (instead of hanging out with her) if I did 200 situps with her, so after taking her up on that deal four time since, combined with the jogging, I can pull 5 miles at whatever my pace is before I feel sore and achy, and my belt is comfortable at the fourth notch.

Hoorah. It aches so good!

Actually, the most pain i'm experiencing is my ass from biking to and from work.

I'm almost tempted to only wanna do fast half-hour runs. And then emptying the tank with situps (as many as I can, 3 times) and pushups (same) and some side..plank..moves... whateveryoucallem.

Pain is good.

Reminds me of this running shirt I saw.

Run like hell, feel like heaven.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:58 am UTC

duckshirt wrote:
Samsoneffect wrote:Anybody have any advice on how to work on improving the shorter runs, like the 400 and 800? For stuff like the 5 km, I've mostly just been trying to run a little bit farther and a little bit faster each time, but I'm not sure how to work on the shorter faster ones. My bests for the first three are 1:15, 3:05, and 6:58 respectively, for the record.

Do you do any kinds of intervals or speedwork?

Not very much, no, though I'll look into that stuff for sure. Any resources you can throw at me?
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

steelmole

Postby steelmole » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

Having never run before I'm wondering what is a good thing to do to start? Distance? Time? What is a good time to run a mile for a beginner?

libellule

Postby libellule » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:49 am UTC

Ooooh! A running thread! This is new since I was last active on these fora.

I used to be a mad runner, but work and life have got in the way and I have eased off immensely, much to my disgust. I am now running 3-4 times a week again, but only 3-4 miles at a go, with a longer run (6-8 mi) at the weekend. I enjoy mostly running trails, but used to love racing on the roads.

Maybe if I write it here I'll do it.... I really really really want to start racing again, but have forgotten how to suffer.

This evening, I did one of the informal xc runs we have here over the summer. It's been > 3 yrs since I actually pushed myself as opposed to running for fun. It's a 3-mi loop, and I was a full 4.5 minutes slower than when I was in shape... oh... 4 or 5 years ago. And I felt much worse too. Oh well, it's a start.

@Taiyo: I would concentrate on being comfortable with running a steady pace regularly for 20 min before introducing hard/easy intervals. Once you are comfortable with steady running, then it is important to vary the pace and not keep doing the same thing, if you want to improve. Your approach of increasing the pace for a few minutes at the end is sound, but I would add a few minutes of easy running to cool down afterwards.

@Duckshirt: I will follow your PRs this summer and enjoy them vicariously.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:40 am UTC

Had a really fun 4-ish mile trail run, awesome blend of up, down, and flat. Not too hot, either. Really enjoy just barreling down the hills, chugging up them, and then rolling on the flats.

This was hours ago and I'm still high from it :D

Agree with what has been said to beginners: don't sweat the time/distance/speed. Do what you can do, take it gently, improve CAREFULLY and then you will be there (wherever "there" is for you depending on your goal) in no time.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:47 am UTC

steelmole wrote:Having never run before I'm wondering what is a good thing to do to start? Distance? Time? What is a good time to run a mile for a beginner?

Well there are training schedules for starting at 0. Most involve running one minute followed by walking one minute, repeatedly. If you're already a little fitter than that you can ofcourse run for 2/4/5/etc minutes with short rests in between.
I'll try to find a good one to post in this thread. Maybe I can edit the first post with a list of good resources when I have the time?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Taiyo

Postby Taiyo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

steelmole wrote:Having never run before I'm wondering what is a good thing to do to start? Distance? Time? What is a good time to run a mile for a beginner?

Hello, a couple of months ago I decided to give it a shot and have been following a combination of these two programs:

http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/getstarted.htm

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/beginning-runner-program.html

I've found that mostly following the runningplanet.com schedule at my own pace has worked out really well, rather than pushing to follow it exactly (since it isn't always feasible to run the days they say) I've just focused on moving up to the next level as I start feeling comfortable with my current one.

For example, I started immediately with the 5 minutes walking, 1 minute running for 30 minutes because I didn't feel like I needed to do the 5 minute walking, 30 second running or all walking stages. Because you're supposed to do it for 30 minutes straight, I also noticed that going from 1 stage to another could vary in how much of a change it really was so I tried to do some "half-steps", here's my progression so you can see what I mean (format: minutes walking/minutes running):

5/1, 5/1, 5/1, 5/1, 5/1 = 30 minutes, 5 full cycles, 25m walking, 5m running
5/2, 5/2, 5/2, 5/2, 2 walking = 30 minutes, 4 full cycles, 22m walking, 8m running
5/3, 5/3, 5/3, 5/1 = 30 minutes, 3 full cycles, 20m walking, 10m running
5/4, 5/4, 5/4, 3 walking = 30m, 3 full cycles, 18m walking, 12m running
5/4, 5/5, 5/4, 2 walking = 30m, 3 full cycles, 17m walking, 13m running ** Added this as an extra stage because I was having a little trouble with the next transition **
5/5, 5/5, 5/5 = 30 minutes, 3 full cycles, 15m walking, 15m running
4/5, 4/5, 4/5, 3 walking = 30 minutes, 3 full cycles, 15m walking, 15m running ** Didn't stay at this stage long because it's the same running duration as the previous**
3/5, 3/5, 3/5, 3/2 = 30 minutes, 3 full cycles, 12m walking, 17m running
3/5, 2/5, 3/5, 3/4 = 30 minutes, 4 full cycles, 11m walking, 19m running ** Added this as an extra stage because I was having trouble with the transition **
2/5, 2/5, 2/5, 2/5, 2 = 30 minutes 4 full cycles, 10m walking, 10m walking, 20m running ** Stayed on this stage for a while because the next jump is a big one **
2/5, 1/5, 1/5, 2/5, 2/2 = 30 minutes, 4 full cycles, 8m walking, 22m running ** Added this as an extra stage because of the big transition **
1/5, 1/5, 1/5, 1/5, 1/5 = 30 minutes, 5 full cycles, 5m walking, 25m running

And at this point I got sick for 2.5 weeks with a horrible chest cold so I'm going to need to figure out where to pick up again. Happily, my doctor said the knee thing wasn't anything serious and she said when it hurts to put ice on it and try to stay off of it for a little bit. I'm saddened by being set back by 2+ weeks but I'm really hoping it won't be too hard to get back into the program. :)

Hope this helps! I've never been a runner and one of the best parts of this whole program thing so far has been that at the beginning I was looking at the later weeks and thinking, "There's no way I'm ever going to be able to run 30 minutes straight! I mean, look at this, 1 minute walking 5 minutes running? I'd die!"

Then, at around the 4/5 cycle suddenly I realized, "Hey... I think doing that 1/5 is actually pretty feasible, I don't know about that walk 5, run a 1.5 miles, walk 5, run 1.5 miles though! I think I'd die!"

By the time I hit 1/5, I was thinking, "You know...I didn't think I could ever run for 30m straight, but if I keep at this I think I could! In fact, I can't believe it but I think I could actually eventually really run something like a 10k one day!"

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:48 am UTC

This summer, I'm going to be running mon-fri, and I was talking with my friend about how I should go about it. He said, instead of running for distance (like running 5k a day, for example), he said I should just run for a certain time, like 30 minutes each day, and just try to run harder each day.

Now, I don't have any particular running goal for distance, or how fast I can run a mile. I really just want to stay in shape for swim season, and I don't have a pool. Does my friend know what he's talking about when he says to run for time rather than distance when running for fitness?
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

Welp, I just SMASHED my 5 km target. Beat 26 minutes, even beat 25. 24:56.19. I is a happy goose. See if I can get that down to 24 by the end of the summer, maybe?
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Samsoneffect wrote:Welp, I just SMASHED my 5 km target. Beat 26 minutes, even beat 25. 24:56.19. I is a happy goose. See if I can get that down to 24 by the end of the summer, maybe?

=D Good job!

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:36 am UTC

libellule wrote:@Duckshirt: I will follow your PRs this summer and enjoy them vicariously.
I too enjoy following other people's progress in training, so keep the updates coming, Samsoneffect and others.
lol everything matters
-Ed

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:57 am UTC

Samsoneffect wrote:Welp, I just SMASHED my 5 km target. Beat 26 minutes, even beat 25. 24:56.19. I is a happy goose. See if I can get that down to 24 by the end of the summer, maybe?

Yay, congrats!! That is awesome :)

Hobgoblin wrote:This summer, I'm going to be running mon-fri, and I was talking with my friend about how I should go about it. He said, instead of running for distance (like running 5k a day, for example), he said I should just run for a certain time, like 30 minutes each day, and just try to run harder each day.

Now, I don't have any particular running goal for distance, or how fast I can run a mile. I really just want to stay in shape for swim season, and I don't have a pool. Does my friend know what he's talking about when he says to run for time rather than distance when running for fitness?

Erm, I disagree. Especially if you normally swim, which is not weight-bearing, I think you would be setting yourself up for injury. I would suggest a few different types of runs per week (sprints, hills, distance, trail, tempo (and not more than one sprint/hill per week)), but also only running every other day for at least the first couple of weeks. My 2cents.

And of course come back and tell how it's going, and if you have more than the normal muscle pain, the people here will have good suggestions. Also, once you've done it for a few weeks, you might know if you prefer long/slow or fast, or whatever.

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

^_^
I think, though I'm not at all sure of how accurate the measure is, that I just ran about 6 miles. This is very contenting, since it only took me ~53 minutes, and is my first run since that last one where I made my calves sore.

I learned to not run 5Ks on my toes that day. And the next day. And the next day. Maybe an 800, but not a 5K. ._.

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

Aaaaaand summer XC is now open for business.
If I can do 10 miles per weekday, I get a nifty shirt. 500 mile club. =D Not quite up to doing that all at once, but in sets of 5 miles, or 4 and 6, set for morning and evening, I think it's feasible.

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

I intend ts run Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays - that a very bad plan?

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

rat4000 wrote:I intend ts run Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays - that a very bad plan?

It's not a bad plan, but you might benefit a little more from running non consecutive days. I can't think of any reasons why physically, but I'd assume it'd be better for you in terms of not getting burned out and tired of running.
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Bright Shadows wrote:Aaaaaand summer XC is now open for business.
If I can do 10 miles per weekday, I get a nifty shirt. 500 mile club. =D Not quite up to doing that all at once, but in sets of 5 miles, or 4 and 6, set for morning and evening, I think it's feasible.

Be careful - daily running wears you out real fast.

Maybe missing Wednesday and running Saturday instead would work better... Spacing for rest n stuff.
Run-Run-Off-Run-Run-Run-Off
instead of
Run-Run-Run-Run-Run-Off-Off
makes sense, right? I would miss a practice for the team XC stuff, but I can handle running alone alright...

psykx

Postby psykx » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

I've only really just started running regularly, and I run up and down hills, but I've found I needed at least day between each run and sometimes a couple of days off completely just to recover properly. I have done a couple of runs on consecutive days and I've started adding other things to my workout (swimming, weights and climbing) but I still feel like I need loads of time to recover.

I was pretty skinny before though and I've noticed (motivation boosting) muscle growth.
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:09 am UTC

psykx wrote:I've only really just started running regularly, and I run up and down hills, but I've found I needed at least day between each run and sometimes a couple of days off completely just to recover properly. I have done a couple of runs on consecutive days and I've started adding other things to my workout (swimming, weights and climbing) but I still feel like I need loads of time to recover.

I was pretty skinny before though and I've noticed (motivation boosting) muscle growth.

It's okay to take a few days out to recover. It's EXTREMELY beneficial for you to change up your workout like you have been. This makes sure you hit more muscles when you exercise, and a range of different stuff causes something called "muscle confusion" which makes it so that your body doesn't get to used to one exercise and it becomes too easy. Don't forget to keep changing it up- even if that just means swimming a different stroke when you swim, or running harder, or longer, or whatever! Just remember to keep it changing up, and remember that you're awesome! :D

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:47 am UTC

So I'm a fairly awful runner. I'd normally be content to stay that way, but i joined the Army a few months ago and unfortunately they're not okay with me being a lazy ass. Good news, I improved from running a 26+ minute two mile jog / shuffle / walk to 20 minutes over the course of basic training. Bad news is, I need to get it solidly under 19:36 to pass my pt test, and I have one tomorrow. It's technically just an assessment, but it would make me feel so wonderful if I could make it. One question I've been contemplating, the army has a thing for never eating before morning pt. Is this the best way to go, or would i be ok / benefit / die if i ate a very small snack before going out? Any tips for not sucking balls at running? I'll probably pop back later and expand more on what I'm probably doing wrong, but i gotta go.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:09 am UTC

femtometer wrote:So I'm a fairly awful runner. I'd normally be content to stay that way, but i joined the Army a few months ago and unfortunately they're not okay with me being a lazy ass. Good news, I improved from running a 26+ minute two mile jog / shuffle / walk to 20 minutes over the course of basic training. Bad news is, I need to get it solidly under 19:36 to pass my pt test, and I have one tomorrow. It's technically just an assessment, but it would make me feel so wonderful if I could make it. One question I've been contemplating, the army has a thing for never eating before morning pt. Is this the best way to go, or would i be ok / benefit / die if i ate a very small snack before going out? Any tips for not sucking balls at running? I'll probably pop back later and expand more on what I'm probably doing wrong, but i gotta go.

First, congratulations, thank you, and God bless.

Second, I always eat a tiny amount before any PT Test (AF). Maybe a banana _or_ half a breakfast bar. I would *not* necessarily recommend doing something different the day of, though, than what you've been doing, although you said this is just an assessment, so maybe it won't hurt to experiment? I also have a large refillable cup of coffee. I max out my test. (Just for reference, that means as a 33 y/o female, I do something like 40 pushups in 60 seconds, followed by 55(ish) situps in 60 seconds, followed by 1 1/2 miles in 11:54. And my BMI has to be under 25.)

Other folks probably have better suggestions on how to run FAST, but if no one else chimes in, I suggest reminding yourself that pain is temporary (hey, it's only 20 minutes ... I don't say this when talking about training, just when performing); watch your running form (again, not something you'll learn over night, but something you can work on in the future); know where you need to be at what points in the run.

Good luck!

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

Well that was demotivating.

I ran a 5 k today, and got sick ~2/3 of the way through. Final time was just under 40 minutes. :oops:
Why do you assume that I exist?

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

So for saying I've had a pretty rough week and have no get-up-and-go, I think running a 6:22.50 mile is not too shabby at all.

Especially with it being a PB.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Samsoneffect wrote:So for saying I've had a pretty rough week and have no get-up-and-go, I think running a 6:22.50 mile is not too shabby at all.

Especially with it being a PB.

Damn.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:02 am UTC

eekmeep wrote:First, congratulations, thank you, and God bless.

Second, I always eat a tiny amount before any PT Test (AF). Maybe a banana _or_ half a breakfast bar. I would *not* necessarily recommend doing something different the day of, though, than what you've been doing, although you said this is just an assessment, so maybe it won't hurt to experiment? I also have a large refillable cup of coffee. I max out my test. (Just for reference, that means as a 33 y/o female, I do something like 40 pushups in 60 seconds, followed by 55(ish) situps in 60 seconds, followed by 1 1/2 miles in 11:54. And my BMI has to be under 25.)

Other folks probably have better suggestions on how to run FAST, but if no one else chimes in, I suggest reminding yourself that pain is temporary (hey, it's only 20 minutes ... I don't say this when talking about training, just when performing); watch your running form (again, not something you'll learn over night, but something you can work on in the future); know where you need to be at what points in the run.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it. I actually ended up *barely* passing my run last Thursday, literally by a second or two. I did ace on my push-ups and sit-ups though, I did 35 push-ups (85 points out of 100) and 67 sit-ups (83 points out of 100) in two minutes each.

There's a running improvement group that I've signed up for, I'm not sure what it entails but I'll hopefully start this Friday, and I'm going to try to get to the gym on the weekends. It's good to know that I can make the standard even if it's just barely, but I know that I really need to improve so that I can have one less thing to stress about.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Congratulations!

For an improve-over-time program, I would expect to see at least one long, slow/moderate run per week, and one intensity run per week (either sprints or hills). For the long run, it would be something longer than you've ever run before, but not by too much, and then increase the distance (but not the pace) every few weeks. Anyway, that's what worked for me when I wanted to cut time off my run, and I've used it with others pretty successfully, too.

Taiyo

Postby Taiyo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

Does anyone have any suggestions for running now that the temperatures is rising? I'm probably a wimp but the last time I went out on my little "learn to run" session temperatures were in the 90s, I started feeling really worn out about 2/3 of the way through and had a tough time finishing even at a slower pace. I chugged some water before going but maybe I didn't hydrate enough?

Are there any secrets to having an easier time of running when it's hot out?

psykx

Postby psykx » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

I run later in the evening, and I sometimes take water with me too. I'd try drinking about a pint or so before running, although all that water sloshing about might take a bit of getting used to.
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

Well, after that first 5K, I can't quite seem to get back up to it. I tried running the same 5K route today, and managed to run myself out of steam at about 3.8 km, but I clocked it just under 18 minutes, so that at least is heartening; I'm getting faster. I think it was that I snookered myself in the third km; I took that one at about 4:36, as opposed to the first two, both around 4:50, and probably burned myself out. Ah well, try it again in a few days.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Well, my first race of the year last Saturday didn't go so well... It was hot all week and I was having dehydration problems again (hence the thread I made). Although, everyone else I know there ran slow, too, but I was still hoping for better. I ran the 5k in 18:51 (good for an age group medal, at least), and it was a 5k/10k, and you could run them both for one price, so I ran the 10k at a moderate pace. I realized after if I had run it a little harder I could've won another medal, but that's just getting greedy :D

I met up with my college's cross team today for a hill workout, and ran it pretty well, keeping up and finishing ahead of some of the team members. I'm not sure if I'll try out for cross country this year; my main deciding factor will be how well I run races this summer. I'm running one on the Fourth this week by my relatives' cottage, and I'll be a little more focused and hydrated for this one. It's kind of a hilly course, so I've never run fast, but I'm hoping to place well in it, and maybe still PR...

Taiyo: I'd suggest drinking more water after you run and during the day, well before you run as opposed to right before you run... Hydrating can take a while sometimes, and if you drink right before a run, you might not give your body enough time to absorb it (or whatever the word is).
lol everything matters
-Ed

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:47 am UTC

The word is assimilate ;).

I agree you should drink water all day, but not right before running. If I drink too much right before, I feel something goes wrong in my belly.

I drink a lot of water all the time, and I can run at noon in summer (now, I still don't measure speed or distance, only time - but I know I don't run as fast as someone who's into competition).

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Awww man, good to get back on the horse. Had to take a week and a half off, and pounded out a 2k yesterday, clocked it at 9:02. I'm happy about it, gonna go a little further tonight, if my migraine decides to let me.

Return to “Fit Club”