Weird lent challenge - 4kg in 40 days!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

spudtheimpaler

Weird lent challenge - 4kg in 40 days!

Postby spudtheimpaler » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

I'm not a religious type, but I think the idea of lent is a good one. Also, I like pancakes.

Long story short, rather than give up one thing, fail, then wait again to next year for pancakes, i thought I would try something different. Rather than being motivated by religious reasons, it should be motivated by personal goals.

So - what am I giving up? What are the goals?

Giving up: alcohol, and excess
Goal/motivator: lose 4kg in those 40 days.

My plan is give up alcohol in its entirety for those 40 days, as well as modern comforts such as take aways, and excess, such as eating more food than I actually need. This is more a 'kick-start' into the better eating I had last year, which has fallen by the wayside since xmas.

I chose 4kg by looking up the high end of what is stable weight loss. Depending on where you read I may still be pushing that boundary a little, but I figure if I push hard now, and a little bounces back afterwards, then thats ok. It works out at 0.1kg a day, which is roughly a 800 calorie defecit (I know the conversion isn't exact, I'm just putting it as an indicator).

So, I'm telling you lot because if I have to write it down it means I have to do it. I'm gonna think of it as a bit of a diary of diet and exercise and see if I can't spot what's working, what's not, etc.

Weigh in this morning at 86.8kg
fat at 22%
height 177cm

Wish me luck! :-)
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

ian

Re: Weird lent challenge - 4kg in 40 days!

Postby ian » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

Good idea and good luck. Doesn't seem overly high, definitley a do-able amount.

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

I think you'll find if you start eating healthy(ie replacing the booze and soft drinks from the take aways) and drinking 4litres of water a day you'll probably lose 2-3kg in the first week through water retention alone:p

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

I'm Jewish, but one year I gave up meat for Lent, to see if I could do it. Whooie. I did it.

The next year, in the spirit of 300, I gave up weakness. It was a very rough month. I mean. Meh. It was a month like any other.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

I'm also not religious, but I do like the idea of giving something up for Lent. I think that it is a good character building thing as much as a religious thing.

This year I'm giving up red meat, since I find that most of my protein tends to come from beef, and I would really like to switch down to something a little heathier, and I would like to challenge myself to invent new recipes. I tend to lean on the crutch that beef makes everything better, and I'd like to get away from that thought.

Good luck with your challenge! I agree that you may find you lose quite a bit just from drinking more water rather than calorie-laden beverages, but it will also help you with a lifestyle change - after the first few weeks of my giving up soda, I found that I no longer craved soda but started craving water instead. Soda just tastes too sweet now.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:28 am UTC

ian wrote:Good idea and good luck. Doesn't seem overly high, definitley a do-able amount.

Here's hoping :-) Like I said, I got it from the top end of the 'stable' amount I could lose - I don't fancy much losing it only to put it straight back on. It should still make a big chunk of difference I'm hoping.

shocklocks wrote:I think you'll find if you start eating healthy(ie replacing the booze and soft drinks from the take aways) and drinking 4litres of water a day you'll probably lose 2-3kg in the first week through water retention alone:p

Hehe, well seeing as I lost a kilo magically today I think you might be right ;-)

I do drink a lot of water and virtually no soft drinks, the only non-water drinks I have a milk in the morning/evening and Cider/Vodka. I do drink a *lot* and am sure that by cutting out the booze it will lose most of it. Hopefully it won't all be water retention though, it's not really about the weight after all, it's about how good you look in the mirror ;-)

Izawwlgood. Genius. I think I have my idea for next year!

kgirlfae - what you said about the finding new recipes is another factor. I don't eat that many take aways but I don't get nearly enough veg in my diet and that is something else I plan to run with. Normally if I have a rush meal its meat and pasta, or meat and noodles, whereas now I'm trying to make it meat and veg. E.g. lamb steak and sooooo maaany peas last night I couldn't finish them. (I had peas in the freezer, need to go shopping so I've got some variety).

So yeah, weighed in this morning and lost a magic kilo. Pretty sure it's water retention and pretty sure it now won't budge for a while but hey ho - 3 kilos left to go :-)

Weight: 85.8kg
Fat: 23.2%
Height: 177cm

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

Lack of sugar is really getting to me now. Huge cravings and a headache.

It's good to do this sort of thing once in a while just to show you how addicted you really get...

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

If you work in more fruits you'll at least get some nutrition with a little sugar, so that will help with the "sweets" cravings.

My new favorite treat is to mix about 3 oz of plain low-fat yogurt with a handful of frozen strawberries. I'll let them thaw for about half an hour and then eat. Frozen strawberries are a little sweeter, and the yogurt gives just enough fat for it to feel decadent. But over all it's a pretty good treat nutrition wise.

I really enjoy the idea of not just cutting calories, but to talk what calories you allow yourself and pack them full of nutrients and good stuff. That way you can still have treats, so long as they're healthier alternatives to the normal treats.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

Don't give up ALL sugar. That's a terrible idea. It's an important energy source.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:30 am UTC

psyck0 wrote:Don't give up ALL sugar. That's a terrible idea. It's an important energy source.

Of course :-) With the exception of alcohol, which I'm giving up entirely, the onus is on excess. Excess sugar = sugar in tea, chocolate, that sort of thing.

I'm already 2kg down, which at this point in time I'm attributing to water retention, but I'm surprised it's so much, so maybe some of it is weight as well. Time will tell. :)

kgirlfae - fruit is pretty much my saviour, to the point I'm worried I'm eating too many. Yesterday I ate a third of a panet of grapes, 3 bananas and an apple. And some freshly squeezed OJ. That was a heavy exercise day though. I also had a lamb steak and some peas, and a big bowl of pasta. Not the widest variety I know, but it's what I could lay my hands on. Will try the yoghurt idea though, could be a nice change. Frozen fruit isn't that common over here though I don't think, will have to keep my eye out.

I'm starting to try and think of food as medicine, and act on that mentality. Eat whats good for me most of the time, and have a treat once in a while. There is no reason I should feel the need to thoroughly enjoy every meal...

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

You can enjoy every meal. In fact, you should. Take time for each meal to sit a quietly savor ever bite. You'll slow down your eating and feel fuller. At least, that's the advice and it seems to work for me.

The fruit intake is high, but I'd say it's better to have a lot of fruit than a lot of candy/etc. But they still have calories, so if you're going to slowly cut down on those you will have to cut down on everything. But I used fruit to ween me off of the things that are worse for me, so once you're used to that you can just slowly cut back on the fruit too.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

kgirlfae wrote:The fruit intake is high, but I'd say it's better to have a lot of fruit than a lot of candy/etc. But they still have calories, so if you're going to slowly cut down on those you will have to cut down on everything. But I used fruit to ween me off of the things that are worse for me, so once you're used to that you can just slowly cut back on the fruit too.

This is indeed my plan, although the intermediary step will be to replace them with vegetables which i do not get enough of.

So, the weekend happened, the first of lent and bang, I got drank and ate takeaway. It was a big joint reunion/farewell so the fact i lasted as long as I did was good, though I took to much stock in the "well I've already broken it, so lets write off today". I've got until Wednesday to weigh myself and if I'm still a kilo down (which is where I was this morning) then I'm on track.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Is it not still quite firmly established that BMI can be a very poor indicator of one's body fat percentage? Best to stick with weighing in rather than throwing that number around, unless you're checking in at a submersion tank every day. (I really want to try one of those someday.)

kgirlfae wrote:This year I'm giving up red meat, since I find that most of my protein tends to come from beef, and I would really like to switch down to something a little heathier, and I would like to challenge myself to invent new recipes.
Red meat is high in iron, no? It's healthy in that regard. I probably don't eat enough red meat.

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Red meat is high in iron, no? It's healthy in that regard.
It does have iron, but also happens to be very much not a lean meat. There are other options for iron that are leaner. And I'm not giving it up entirely, just for Lent. After Lent my plans involve a very large, large pot roast or buffalo burger...

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:19 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Is it not still quite firmly established that BMI can be a very poor indicator of one's body fat percentage? Best to stick with weighing in rather than throwing that number around, unless you're checking in at a submersion tank every day. (I really want to try one of those someday.)

BMI is just a ratio of weight to height, and seeing as your height doesn't really change it is actually all just weight relative. It was used as a crude measurement to say if you were overweight or underweight for your height. % fat isn't a factor really (other than obviously there is a weight/fat correlation often).

What I think medical professionals now prefer is the waist size to hip size, as the correlation is stronger between those with weight related medical problems.

As a note to kgirlfae - I started using this yesterday: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/ and I recommend it - I think I found a link on this forum somewhere. It showed that I ate 222% of my daily allowance for protein yesterday - I think I may take up your lent sacrifice next year... :-/

Team503

Postby Team503 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

kgirlfae wrote:
It does have iron, but also happens to be very much not a lean meat. There are other options for iron that are leaner. And I'm not giving it up entirely, just for Lent. After Lent my plans involve a very large, large pot roast or buffalo burger...

Actually, broccoli is vastly better source of iron than red meat. It also contains the vitamin C your body needs to actually absorb the iron instead of passing it through, which beef does not. Also, calcium, tannins, phytic acids in grains, and excessive fiber can cause problems with the body absorbing iron, so watch that you're not over-doing it in those areas when making sure you get enough iron.

Chicken, turkey, fish, and most legumes are also great sources of iron.

An interesting article on iron: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv ... ained?open

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

Team503 wrote:
kgirlfae wrote:

Actually, broccoli is vastly better source of iron than red meat. It also contains the vitamin C your body needs to actually absorb the iron instead of passing it through, which beef does not. Also, calcium, tannins, phytic acids in grains, and excessive fiber can cause problems with the body absorbing iron, so watch that you're not over-doing it in those areas when making sure you get enough iron.

I actually ate steamed broccoli for the first time the other day and it wasn't as bad as I remember from my childhood - something I'm finding a lot lately. I'm not sure if its down to my tastebuds changing since when I was younger, or if they've changed since I've started eating differently...

That said I weighed in at 84.0kg this morning so have celebrated with about 700 calories worth of chocolate biscuits... Never mind eh? :-) (Was a colleagues birthday, it's harder to turn them down when they're free...)

Only 1.2kg to go and 28 days to do it in - I'm thinking I might actually make this target with time to spare - amazing what giving up booze and eating healthily can do!

gopher

Postby gopher » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

spudtheimpaler wrote:I actually ate steamed broccoli for the first time the other day and it wasn't as bad as I remember from my childhood - something I'm finding a lot lately. I'm not sure if its down to my tastebuds changing since when I was younger, or if they've changed since I've started eating differently...

I noticed the same thing... I think as a kid we were stuck on the "if it is good for me it tastes bad" and tricked ourselves in to believing some of it tastes bad?

spudtheimplaer wrote:That said I weighed in at 84.0kg this morning so have celebrated with about 700 calories worth of chocolate biscuits... Never mind eh? :-) (Was a colleagues birthday, it's harder to turn them down when they're free...)

Isn't that true though? I try to talk the people I work with in to healthier foods, but only a few agree ;)

spudtheimpaler wrote:Only 1.2kg to go and 28 days to do it in - I'm thinking I might actually make this target with time to spare - amazing what giving up booze and eating healthily can do!

The extra days could make it more difficult... or you could simply blow the goal away! well done!

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

spudtheimpaler wrote:Only 1.2kg to go and 28 days to do it in - I'm thinking I might actually make this target with time to spare
This is awesome to hear! Keep up the good work!

I've recently had my first "cheat" day, as it was my husband's birthday on Thursday and his grandparents took us out to a steakhouse to celebrate (didn't know I'd given up red meat... oops!) I just couldn't go to this place and not order a steak (ordering chicken in a steak house seems... wrong...)

I'm really glad to hear you're doing so well :D Gives me motivation to keep going!

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

kgirlfae wrote:
spudtheimpaler wrote:Only 1.2kg to go and 28 days to do it in - I'm thinking I might actually make this target with time to spare
This is awesome to hear! Keep up the good work!

Ha, now I actually feel quite guilty - I cheated terribly all weekend. I had way too much to drink, curry twice, kfc, fried english breakfast. Was a big weekend reunion thing though, 14 lads out on the town - couldn't be avoided :)

kgirlfae wrote:I've recently had my first "cheat" day, as it was my husband's birthday on Thursday and his grandparents took us out to a steakhouse to celebrate (didn't know I'd given up red meat... oops!) I just couldn't go to this place and not order a steak (ordering chicken in a steak house seems... wrong...)

Well at least misery loves company, right? As I'm sure we've both told others on these forums, as long as it's cheating and not the norm then it's ok, and one weekend in a while, especially for special circumstances, is perfectly acceptable :)

kgirlfae wrote:I'm really glad to hear you're doing so well :D Gives me motivation to keep going!

Glad to help, and yeah, progress is great. Will weigh myself tomorrow to see some of the damage but this is the good thing about rolling averages, the blip is never quite so drastic :)

Yey for us!

Kingreaper

Postby Kingreaper » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:07 pm UTC

gopher wrote:
spudtheimpaler wrote:I actually ate steamed broccoli for the first time the other day and it wasn't as bad as I remember from my childhood - something I'm finding a lot lately. I'm not sure if its down to my tastebuds changing since when I was younger, or if they've changed since I've started eating differently...

I noticed the same thing... I think as a kid we were stuck on the "if it is good for me it tastes bad" and tricked ourselves in to believing some of it tastes bad?
There is an aspect of that I'm sure, but there's also something that a lot of people forget: Children need a different mixture of nutrients to the ones adults need.

Your tastebuds are adapted both for eating things you know are safe and for the purpose of telling you what you need at the time. So maybe broccoli really isn't all that great for children?

Protein does need to be a higher proportion of your intake when both body and brain are still growing. And sugars are more useful if you're constantly active (as most young children tend to be, while teenagers/adults nowadays are relatively sedentary)

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:56 am UTC

Kingreaper wrote:
gopher wrote:

There is an aspect of that I'm sure, but there's also something that a lot of people forget: Children need a different mixture of nutrients to the ones adults need.

Good point!

Ok, so I'm doing well. I weighed in at 83.5 this morning which is .8 off my target, though my rolling average is sitting pretty at 84.0. (Target is 82.8). I still have just shy of three weeks so I am pretty confident!

My problem is, however, that my extremeties are feeling really cold lately! I'm constantly trying to warm my hands and my feet aren't much better. Perhaps it's because I'm eating so little (1500-2000 calories a day), something that will change when I get back to normal calory amounts, but at the moment its very uncomfortable and is a long way from helping me get warmed up to climb on them. Anyone else found that they get cold extremeties on a low calorie diet?

spudtheimpaler

SUCCESS: Re: Weird lent challenge - 4kg in 40 days!

Postby spudtheimpaler » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 am UTC

Yey,

Well the past few days I've weighed in low and finally, today, it brought my rolling average down to exactly what I was hoping to get it for before easter - 4kg down! There is still time before easter so I'll go even lower but I've actually found it not too difficult, I mean I've slipped a few times but often enough that it's not been crippling and could keep up my current vice regularity and still stay healthy.

Thanks for all advice and motivation people - I appreciate it!

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

Congrats!!!

Are you feeling any changes other than just the weight loss (different cravings, more energy, anything of the like)?

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:35 am UTC

As long as I don't push myself too hard on the exercise front I definitely seem to have more energy, (despite consuming less!) but that is possibly due to the exercise. I've found doing the exercise a lot easier being lighter, for example I haven't really done any proper cardio exercise in ages apart from what I do climbing, but I played football last night and I never got anywhere near as out of breath as I'd have used to.

The mind works in annoying ways though, as soon as I hit the target I had all the cravings I used to have in one big surge: chocolate, chips, kethup, steak, pizza, chinese... I want it all! I let myself cave a little as a reward and have had my fun (chinese, 2x chips and gammon steak in 3 days!), but I will try and carry on the diet until the end of lent to see how far I can go down.

I am a little surprised, I have to admit, that 4kg seems less on my frame than I had hoped. I was hoping for a more noticable change but then thats the nature of the best I guess.

Overall though I'm happy, I hit my target, proved I could do it, Now I just have to maintain it :-/

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

I think its awesome! I plateaued right before my target (I'm at 125 pounds and I really want to hit 120). I'm working on shaking up my diet and exercise to try and keep dropping weight, but so far not much is working. So major kudos to you for hitting the target :mrgreen:

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:58 am UTC

kgirlfae wrote:I think its awesome! I plateaued right before my target (I'm at 125 pounds and I really want to hit 120). I'm working on shaking up my diet and exercise to try and keep dropping weight, but so far not much is working. So major kudos to you for hitting the target

If it makes you feel any better I've plateaued since! I hit the target weight at the weekend, but was waiting until the rolling average came down too. Thing is, since i hit that weight, I haven't lost anything, and have weighed consistently the same since to the 100g! (to the point it's freaking me out!).

Maybe I just got lucky with my target? ;-)

What are you doing to 'mix it up'? I subscribe to the interval training idea where I spend a month concentrating on one area - this month was weight loss, next will be finger strength training (for rock climbing). I think if you just concentrate on diet alone constantly your body will adapt and the diminishing returns will kick in.

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

I'm running more often now that the weather is getting warmer in my area of the world. Previously I was more focused on strength training (which I think might be hurting the "weight loss" side of things as I know my waist has lost about 1/2 of an inch, but I'm weighing the same thanks to muscle building. So I'm not really freaked out about the plateau).

One thing diet wise that I read was that if you change your breakfast every morning it seems to help get you off a plateau. The article said they weren't sure why that worked, just that it did. So I've been trying that (at the very least it keeps breakfast interesting). I've also been a bit harder on myself about my occasional temptation to get the delicious nestle toll-house mini-cookies while at work and sharing them with everyone (meaning I get two tiny chocolate chip cookies). It's not much, but I figure if I cut out two cookies every other day that it can't hurt.

I have read/heard in multiple areas that your body gets used to certain routines. So even something as simple as changing the order that you do your strength exercises in can help prevent that acclimation. I'm not sure how much I believe that, but again, doing things in the same order every time for me really makes me bored. So for my strength work I put all the exercises I'm working on on notecards, and before each workout I shuffle the cards and just go through them one at a time, making for a different workout each time.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:21 am UTC

kgirlfae wrote:I'm running more often now that the weather is getting warmer in my area of the world. Previously I was more focused on strength training (which I think might be hurting the "weight loss" side of things as I know my waist has lost about 1/2 of an inch, but I'm weighing the same thanks to muscle building. So I'm not really freaked out about the plateau).

This is definitely true. I got back onto the Strength training after my weight loss interval and bam, plateau. I'm extrapoloating too much, but at this rate I'll actually put on a bit more weight! But as you say, as long as the fat is coming off, and I think it is, then all is well in the world. I'm having an 'I feel slim' day which is always nice :)

kgirlfae wrote:One thing diet wise that I read was that if you change your breakfast every morning it seems to help get you off a plateau. The article said they weren't sure why that worked, just that it did. So I've been trying that (at the very least it keeps breakfast interesting). I've also been a bit harder on myself about my occasional temptation to get the delicious nestle toll-house mini-cookies while at work and sharing them with everyone (meaning I get two tiny chocolate chip cookies). It's not much, but I figure if I cut out two cookies every other day that it can't hurt.

That's an interesting idea. I must confess to having the most boring diet in the world, I have the same breakfast and lunch every day, and most of the time the same fruit as snacks during the day too. I do change my dinner's around but it's hardly exciting. I guess this is also where cost comes into it, I can afford a sandwich, so I have to have the cheapest 'healthy' bread i can get, it can't be dry so i use low fat cheese spread instead of butter (which also makes it more filling) and a lean meat, normally turkey for cost. If I stray too far from that it ends up expensive or more calorific than I'm trying to get away with. Breakfast is just cereal for the same reason.
That's good about the cookies. I remember a time when I wouldn't share my food for love nor money, but that has changed :) Now it's like I'm handing other people calories - don't mind giving them away ;-) (Starting to sound obsessive, aren't I? :-/) Definitely makes a difference in the long run though.

kgirlfae wrote:I have read/heard in multiple areas that your body gets used to certain routines. So even something as simple as changing the order that you do your strength exercises in can help prevent that acclimation. I'm not sure how much I believe that, but again, doing things in the same order every time for me really makes me bored. So for my strength work I put all the exercises I'm working on on notecards, and before each workout I shuffle the cards and just go through them one at a time, making for a different workout each time.

That is a surprisingly simple way to mix things up, and then you're guaranteed to end up having to do the stuff you really don't want to, as it is the fates who decide. :-) Personally I do a self evaluation each month and try to find my weaknesses, and then spend the month targetting those. This month is balancing out my strength (e.g. trying to reduce the difference in strength between my right and left side) and really pushing my core muscles. Next month will probably be finger strength (for climbing). I think if you have something specific you're aiming for it gets a lot easier to train for it, whereas if the goal is just to lose weight it can be a lot harder to focus your self and for that, using tools like your cards are a great idea.

Have you got a progress thread of your own?

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

I do, but it got pushed to the second page and I just keep forgetting to update it. I should go do that.

So how do you feel the challenge went over for you now that its quickly coming to an end? Any big plans for the next few days?

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:49 am UTC

kgirlfae wrote:I do, but it got pushed to the second page and I just keep forgetting to update it. I should go do that.

So how do you feel the challenge went over for you now that its quickly coming to an end? Any big plans for the next few days?

Yeah, the challenge has gone ok. To be honest once I hit the target I onsidered it done and so your question for what will I do is more about what did I do. And boy, I ate. :) I had a week of Gammon, chips, Fried chicken. It was disgusting but glorious. Today I am back on the straight and narrow so we will see how it continues but I think it was definitely worthwhile, it's made a noticable difference for a month's hard work and getting a noticable difference is hard with weight loss so I'm really happy.

Big plans coming up are birthday in a couple of weeks - I need to bring my tolerance back up otehrwise I'm going to fall over after 2 pints and that will just be embarassing ;-)

gopher

Postby gopher » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

Its great you hit your target, and after the glorious chow-down, were you able to return to your goal weight and maintain? Just wondering as when I finally fall off the wagon on diet, I have a harder time returning.

spudtheimpaler wrote:I need to bring my tolerance back up otehrwise I'm going to fall over after 2 pints and that will just be embarassing ;-)

That is too funny. The other way to look at it is saving money when you can drink less for the same effect ;)

What I've been told by people that have quit all together is that it is more fun getting other people drunk and laughing at them!

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

gopher wrote:Its great you hit your target, and after the glorious chow-down, were you able to return to your goal weight and maintain? Just wondering as when I finally fall off the wagon on diet, I have a harder time returning.

Well it's only been a week or so but I'm staying pretty stable weightwise, considering I've had my 'chow-down'. I do a lot of exercise however so that is probably a factor.

gopher wrote:
spudtheimpaler wrote:I need to bring my tolerance back up otehrwise I'm going to fall over after 2 pints and that will just be embarassing ;-)

That is too funny. The other way to look at it is saving money when you can drink less for the same effect ;)

What I've been told by people that have quit all together is that it is more fun getting other people drunk and laughing at them!

Oh yeah, I'm a cheap date (Ladies? :wink: ). Thing is for the birthday I wont be buying, they'll be bought for me. And in all likelihood it wont be a white wine spritzer if you catch my drift. Otherwise I'm quite happy being a cheap drunk, and indeed you can get pretty drunk off the atmosphere of drunk people so the need to drink isn't there. Now, I drink probably a 10th of what I used to.

Return to “Fit Club”