Losing weight for a few hours (Making weight in Sports)

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

SPsnow02

Losing weight for a few hours (Making weight in Sports)

Postby SPsnow02 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

Disclaimer: I know that sweat runs and other ways to drop weight for at least a few hours are generally bad for ones health.

Many sports, wrestling, rowing(Me!), boxing, and others all have weight categories such as heavyweight, lightweight, and flyweight. How can one drop a few pounds fast to make weight?

The two methods I've heard of are noting eating much, but still a bit, before the event, and a "Sweat run" in baggy clothing to get the water out of your body right before you weigh in.

Can anyone give me any others?
Rawr!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Losing weight for a few hours (Making weight in Sports)

Postby poxic » Sat May 02, 2009 12:56 am UTC

If you want to be really awful to your body, take a diuretic to lose your stored water. (I think lemon juice and caffeine both act as mild diuretics, and there are prescription drugs available that are very potent.)

A diuretic pill might keep the water off for a day or two, but if you use it very often at all you'll built up a resistance and screw up your body in short order. I don't recommend it, obviously.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sat May 02, 2009 2:49 am UTC

Cut off a body part?

As others have noted, the only weight you can lose in a hurry is water weight, and that can have severe side effects (up to and including sudden death).

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Sat May 02, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:Cut off a body part?

As others have noted, the only weight you can lose in a hurry is water weight, and that can have severe side effects (up to and including sudden death).

SUDDEN DEAAAAATH!

But yeah, he's right. You can't drop fat in a matter of hours. That comes with aerobic sports and dieting.
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Sun May 03, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:As others have noted, the only weight you can lose in a hurry is water weight

Well...how about a laxative? Or, even more extreme, an enema. Not recommending either, just saying.

Asad

EnderSword

Postby EnderSword » Thu May 07, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Vomit,
Might seem obvious, but even if you haven't eaten much, you'll still lose weight from liquids in your stomach, can easily be a pound of stuff. Unpleasant of course.

Sweating really is great, if you don't mind getting really dehydrated too, do you sweat run and come home and go to sleep in a jogging suit with the covers on and heat up, you will sweat buckets.
WWSD?*
*what would Sheldon do?

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Fri May 08, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

Get a haircut. Shave as many bodyparts as desired. Clip fingernails and toenails. Take off your glasses and contact lenses. Blow your nose.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

EnderSword

Postby EnderSword » Fri May 08, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Donate blood too :)
WWSD?*
*what would Sheldon do?

cycoden

Postby cycoden » Sun May 10, 2009 12:38 pm UTC

SPsnow02 wrote:Disclaimer: I know that sweat runs and other ways to drop weight for at least a few hours are generally bad for ones health.

Many sports, wrestling, rowing(Me!), boxing, and others all have weight categories such as heavyweight, lightweight, and flyweight. How can one drop a few pounds fast to make weight?

The two methods I've heard of are noting eating much, but still a bit, before the event, and a "Sweat run" in baggy clothing to get the water out of your body right before you weigh in.

Can anyone give me any others?
...I would have a strong coffee, and rehydrate between the weigh in and the event. But I would usually drink strong coffee in the morning anyway. Also, I found that there was nothing like nervousness before a bout to (how do I put this delicately), find yourself able to pass a significant quantity of solids.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you are struggling to meet a weight division, perhaps you should not try and instead carbo load before the event. Even if you are towards the bottom of the next group, by being able to eat properly before the event you may find you have an advantage over those competitors who had to starve themselves to make weight. YMMV.
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

Token

Postby Token » Wed May 13, 2009 10:19 am UTC

cycoden wrote:One thing to bear in mind is that if you are struggling to meet a weight division, perhaps you should not try and instead carbo load before the event. Even if you are towards the bottom of the next group, by being able to eat properly before the event you may find you have an advantage over those competitors who had to starve themselves to make weight. YMMV.

Unfortunately, with lightweight rowing there is no next weight category up. You are either lightweight or not. If not, you don't get to compete. My advice - diet properly and be comfortably at weight in plenty of time for your race. If this is too hard, it's possible that lightweight rowing is not the thing for you. Sweat runs are the next best thing, but they're clearly not ideal, since you won't be at maximum rowing performance if you aren't properly hydrated - and you probably won't have enough time between the weigh-in and the race to fully rehydrate.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Return to “Fit Club”