Mobikwa's transformation and blog

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

mobikwa

Mobikwa's transformation and blog

Postby mobikwa » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Since nothing is official until its on the internet and since others have "blog" topics I figure Ill make my own so I can maybe get some praise and inspire others. Ill answer any questions anyone has, no matter how embarrassing, or dumb they may seem.

Starting facts:
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 176.5 lbs
Sex: male
Daily Caloric Expenditure based on normal body functions, work, and gym: 2500-2600 calories
Daily Caloric Budget: 2700 clean calories (no sugars or anything that is not needed by the body)

Goal: lose 5-10 lbs of fat / gain 20-30 lbs of muscle
EDIT: Forgot pics. Here is an old pic ~300lb and a more current pic at ~185 lb
Spoiler:
Image Image

Starting with yesterday with my new diet. I was eating around 2300 calories and losing a lot of weight, it has been all fat loss as far as I can tell, tape measurements aren't accurate since fat loss and muscle increase are happening at once. But my lifts have all been creeping steadily upwards so I am not losing any strength at all.

My first day (6/27/2009) of Starting Strength[cite]http://startingstrength.wikia.com/[/cite] and 1/2 GOMAD was supposed to be yesterday but I had to help a friend move out of her apartment and I was thoroughly exhausted afterwards, iced my legs in the evening to try and prevent as much pain today as possible.
I am doing the Practical Programming variation of SS, chin-ups and pull-ups instead of power cleans.

Working sets today were: squat 3×5 165
bench press 3×5 165
chin-ups 3×5 BW+15

I thought the squats would kill me after all of the lifting I did yesterday but they went surprisingly well. Bench Press I struggled a bit but completed all reps without any help from my spotter. Chin-ups were good until the very last 2 reps but I locked them out.
I then did 8 tricep dips and 6 chest dips just to stretch my sternum tendons. (last time I did tri dips I strained the tendons and couldn’t move my neck for 2 days)
Total time lifting 50 minutes! Awesome!

I went out to the bar with my buddies, ended up only drinking 2 light beers, 200 calories, no biggie. Came home late and got hungry, snacked on some beef jerky, had a casein shake and went to sleep. Ended up 700 calories over my budget and 12 oz short of my 1/2 GOMAD.

Bought a bathroom scale yesterday (6/27), stood on it today(6/28) and my weight was about the same as yesterday but the damn numbers are too small for me to read even with my glasses, I don't know, maybe get a magnifying glass and attach it to the scale? Today is a rest day, just going to relax, clean my room and do my laundry. Ill try and keep myself about 350 calories under budget to make up for yesterday.

Monday is back to work and then the gym.
Last edited by mobikwa on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

shocklocks

Re: Mobikwa's transformation and blog

Postby shocklocks » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:29 am UTC

You're going to find it very hard to put on that sort of muscle mass with 2700calories. Most fit males will have a BMR around 2500calories per day. In order to gain a pound of muscle pw you need 3500calories surplus per week. At the bare minimum you should be on 3000. If you want to maximise the early gains from starting strength id say that needs to be closer to 4k(maybe more depending on how much cardio you do)

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:54 am UTC

shocklocks wrote:You're going to find it very hard to put on that sort of muscle mass with 2700calories. Most fit males will have a BMR around 2500calories per day. In order to gain a pound of muscle pw you need 3500calories surplus per week. At the bare minimum you should be on 3000.

You're right, I should eat a little more. I'm going to stick with 2700 for a week or so, try to get adjusted to eating this much more. Ive honestly been having a hard time eating 2300 calories per day so I don't want to stuff myself too much too soon.

shocklocks wrote:If you want to maximise the early gains from starting strength id say that needs to be closer to 4k(maybe more depending on how much cardio you do)

I don't do any regular kind of cardio, other than the occasional pickup game of basketball or football.

Edit:

2nd day of SS.
Pre workout weigh in: 176.0
Working sets: Squat: 170
Press: 105
Deadlift: 195

All went well, last 2 reps of the squat were tough but got them out, as was the last rep of deadlift. Threw in some calf raises and some ab machine at the end to make it a 55 minute workout. Going to increase my calorie budget to about 2850 for today, and a little more tomorrow.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

Day 3. Preworkout weigh in: 176.8

Edit: Thighs measure in at 22.25 inches

Working sets were Squat: 175
Bench Press: 170
Pullups: BW + 20

Squats went well, lost my balance on rep 3 set 2 but regained and finished the set. Bench press SUCKED. Failed on rep 5 set 2, dropped it down to 165 and easily rocked it. Ill stick with 170 again next week to make sure I can get it. I figure my failure was more mental than physical, didn’t psych myself up enough or something… Pull ups were very easy, gonna go with 30 lbs next time.
Decided to do some dips to destroy my chest, 1×5 BW, 1×5 BW+25, 1×5 BW+50, 1×5 BW+75. On the +75 set I failed after 3, took a 10 second break and did another, took another 10 second break and did the last. Never felt a pump in my chest like that before.
My legs look like they are getting bigger already, I need to measure them now to be sure. Overall, feeling pretty good, taking a break until Tuesday though, holiday with the family, hope it does more good than bad.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:23 am UTC

Just a quick post now, will update more tomorrow.

The holiday weekend, holy shit I ate a lot. I figure I had about 6000 cal per day!

Just weighed myself, it is inaccurate since its at a much different time than my usual weighins and I have a few meals in my belly still... Get ready for this...

Spoiler:
187 :cry: :oops:

10 lbs, wtf! I hate myself, gotta bust my ass now to get back on track.

Edit: Weigh in this morning, about 191, thats with 7 lbs of work clothes and gear, so 184. I feel a little better about myself, well see if I have any more strength to show for it.

Real edit: This weekend I was away at a neighbor's uncle's house for the holiday party and I was bored Saturday morning. He has a weight set in his basement and since there was nothing to do and the other guests werent to show up for another 6 hours I decided to get a workout in. I didnt have my workout notesheet with me so I tried to remember what day 4 was supposed to consist of. I picked: Squat, Press, and Deadlift. But it was supposed to be Squat, Press, Chin ups. Anyway, working sets were
Squat: 3x5 195
Press: 3x5 115
Deadlift 1x5 205
chin ups 1x10 BW
close grip pull ups 1x6 BW

All of the lifts went very well and I was surprised.

Today: Workout #5 was supposed to be squat, press, chin ups but I did squat, bench, chin ups on accident. Fuck me, right?
Squat: 3x5 200
Bench: 3x5 170
Chin ups: 3x5 BW+25

I failed on the last rep of set 3 on each lift. Ill stay at the same weight for next workout. I was extremely frustrated before my workout, I had this sort of OCD thing going where nothing was going my way and I was freaking out, not the best mindset to workout in but whatever.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

Workout 6 was on Thursday; squat, press, pullups.
I went to a new gym to lift with this guy I met online (man date). He was an experienced lifter who was going to watch my form and make sure I was doing everything correctly. Turns out he doesn't do barbell squats, only smith machine squats... He doesn't deadlift... Awesome! The 2 lifts I NEED to have right he doesn't do.
Squat:200
Press:120
Pullups: BW+20

Failed on squats and presses, I'm deloading for the next workout and I am going to eat more, a lot more. Friday I ate about 4200 calories, 140g fat, 467g carbs, 262g protein. That's a ratio of 16/54/30. Drank 3/4 gallon of 1% milk, milk is good.
Just weighed myself this morning, 180.9 lbs, and that's on a scale that usually reads .5 lbs more than my usual one.

Will workout at another new gym today with my work buddy, apparently this one is nicer than Thursday's gym, and its closer to my house.
Working sets will be:
Squat 185
Bench 165
Chin ups: BW + 30

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

A lot of people starting to get fit will see a rise in their weight just before it drops. This is usually because of retained water. To get an accurate reading of your weight, stand on the scale before breakfast, and weight yourself naked. You'd be surprised how much weight clothes are.

Don't worry about the weight so much! Just eat a lot of healthy foods with a lot of protein (and don't just get the minimum cups of water, shoot higher than 8), and do as much cardio as possible, and you'll drop weight like a mofo. Lifting weights is always great exercise, but it won't drop fat as much as most people expect/want. Good luck, and I'm proud of you for getting into shape! :D
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

Hobgoblin wrote:A lot of people starting to get fit will see a rise in their weight just before it drops. This is usually because of retained water. To get an accurate reading of your weight, stand on the scale before breakfast, and weight yourself naked. You'd be surprised how much weight clothes are.

Don't worry about the weight so much! Just eat a lot of healthy foods with a lot of protein (and don't just get the minimum cups of water, shoot higher than 8), and do as much cardio as possible, and you'll drop weight like a mofo. Lifting weights is always great exercise, but it won't drop fat as much as most people expect/want. Good luck, and I'm proud of you for getting into shape! :D

I'm not worried about my weight going up in fact that's what I am trying to do, the problem is I am losing weight...
I gained a bunch of weight last weekend from pigging out during the holiday and I gained about 8 lbs and since then I have been eating about 400 calories above maintenance, meaning my weight should continue going up. Yesterday I ate about 1500 calories above maint., and my weight went down this morning.

Workout #7

Squat: 185
Bench: 165
Chin ups: BW + 30

All lifts went well, going to start increasing weight again. Hopefully with more eating I will be able to go up in weight every workout. Threw in some BW + 50 dips (2 sets of 5) at the end because I felt the bench press part was too easy.

Victoria Maddison

Postby Victoria Maddison » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:32 am UTC

Off-topic for this strength/mass gain thread but...
Hobgoblin wrote:do as much cardio as possible, and you'll drop weight like a mofo.

Indeed, say goodbye to pounds of body fat and muscle mass, not to mention your previous PRs.

Hobgoblin wrote:Lifting weights is always great exercise, but it won't drop fat as much as most people expect/want.

All that's required for weight loss is a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter where this deficit comes from. The best weight loss is controlled and stable over the course of several weeks/months anyway.

Take two 90 kg (198 lb) men at 20% body fat wanting to lean out to 10% body fat. One a lifter and the other a runner. Both decide that it's a good idea to go with a modest 500 kcal/day deficit for approximately 0.5 kg/wk (1 lb/wk) weight loss. The lifter cuts these calories from his diet and the runner runs an additional 6.2 km/day[1].

The lifter won't lose any lean mass and will continue to slowly gain strength, so he will lose 0.5 kg/wk body fat, 0.0 kg/wk lbm. The runner will lose body fat along with some muscle mass at a ratio of say 75% body fat, 25% lbm, giving him a loss of 0.375 kg/wk body fat and 0.125 kg/wk lbm.

After 20 weeks the lifter is at 10.0% body fat and after 27 weeks the runner is at 10.3% body fat. A 7 week difference due to the runner losing 3.5 kg (7.7 lbs) of muscle. The lifter lowered his body fat percentage 35% faster than the runner, that's pretty significant. Even if the fat to muscle loss ratio was more like 9:1 the lifter would still reach their goal two weeks earlier, 10% faster, than the runner.

If they both wanted to lose weight dangerously the lifter would go on a protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) dropping around 4 lb/week while consuming only enough carbohydrate to support their lifting, almost no fat, and 1.25-1.5 g/lb protein to support recovery/spare their muscle tissue from being broken down, achieving the same fat loss mentioned above in around 6 weeks. The runner would probably cut calories while significantly increasing the amount of running they do but this would greatly amplify the amount of muscle tissue that they lose thereby making it harder to reach their goal, like running a race where someone keeps moving the finish line.

This effect is magnified if you have a say an obese 140 kg (308 lb) person with 35% body fat. Through cardio alone if this person were to drop to a healthy 90 kg (198 lbs), 15% body fat, they would lose 14.5 kg (32 lbs) of lean mass. Although this transformation is a great achievement for them and is sure to improve their quality of life considerably, there is no reason to waste this lean mass when they could keep it while losing fat faster and just as healthily through lifting with a mild caloric deficit.

TL;DR At the same caloric deficit a lifter will reach their goal body fat percentage faster than someone doing solely cardio because lifting protects lean mass.

[1]Running Calorie Calculator

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:21 am UTC

Workout #8
Morning weigh in: 183.3 lb

Squat: 3x5 190
Dead lift: 1x5 200

Lifted with a friend today, he said my form was good the whole time. So that's good.
I dropped weight in the past 2 workouts, but I didn't drop enough weight on the press, failed on rep 4 set 2. Rested more than usual and got 5 reps on set 3, but had to REALLY struggle on rep 5. I will take 5 more lb off for next press day and go for 3 non failing sets.
squat and deads were good.

Still eating 4000 calories a day, I notice a gut more than usual but its really just because I am always eating and my stomach is constantly full, I look a lot smaller when I first wake up and the veins in my hands and forearms are staying the same so not much fat gain yet. Feeling really good. I'm drinking a LOT of milk and even with Lactaid I am constantly breaking wind, no biggie though, I work in a smelly chemical plant so no one can tell, my girlfriend is 230 miles away so she cant smell them and everyone else? Deal with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Victoria Maddison

Postby Victoria Maddison » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:03 am UTC

mobikwa wrote:Morning weigh in: 183.3 lb

I dropped weight in the past 2 workouts, but I didn't drop enough weight on the press, failed on rep 4 set 2. Rested more than usual and got 5 reps on set 3, but had to REALLY struggle on rep 5. I will take 5 more lb off for next press day and go for 3 non failing sets.

I would recommend that you don't drop back on the press, you've only missed one rep so stay where you are and get all of the reps next time. A 115 lb press for 3x5 is pretty heavy for a 183.3 lb novice. I don't think you'll be able to make 5 lb jumps going forward. Now would be the time to switch to micro plates and make 1-3 lb jumps per workout. If your gym doesn't have any then find some online. They're invaluable for the presses.

Backing off should only be done about twice if everything else (nutrition, sleep, form, etc) is good. After that you'd make better progress with more advanced programming. Fortunately it's easy to switch to advanced programming for the pressing movements only while your squat/deadlift play catch-up on Starting Strength, and by the looks of it your squat and deadlift have a lot left in them.

One last thing, how long are you resting between sets? You should be resting as much as you need to make the next set. Resting say 2-3 minutes could cause you to stall prematurely. If you're finding the press really heavy then 4-8 minutes might help.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:30 am UTC

Victoria Maddison wrote:I would recommend that you don't drop back on the press, you've only missed one rep so stay where you are and get all of the reps next time. A 115 lb press for 3x5 is pretty heavy for a 183.3 lb novice. I don't think you'll be able to make 5 lb jumps going forward. Now would be the time to switch to micro plates and make 1-3 lb jumps per workout. If your gym doesn't have any then find some online. They're invaluable for the presses.

Backing off should only be done about twice if everything else (nutrition, sleep, form, etc) is good. After that you'd make better progress with more advanced programming. Fortunately it's easy to switch to advanced programming for the pressing movements only while your squat/deadlift play catch-up on Starting Strength, and by the looks of it your squat and deadlift have a lot left in them.

One last thing, how long are you resting between sets? You should be resting as much as you need to make the next set. Resting say 2-3 minutes could cause you to stall prematurely. If you're finding the press really heavy then 4-8 minutes might help.

Alright, how about I just stick with 115 for the next press workout?

I like to rest at least 3 minutes, depending on how difficult the previous set was. After I failed set 2 I rested a good 6 minutes.

Victoria Maddison

Postby Victoria Maddison » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:12 am UTC

mobikwa wrote:Alright, how about I just stick with 115 for the next press workout?

Sounds good to me. Given that you made the final set of 5 after failing on the second, the rest between sets seems to be your limiting factor at the moment.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

Victoria Maddison wrote:
mobikwa wrote:Alright, how about I just stick with 115 for the next press workout?

Sounds good to me. Given that you made the final set of 5 after failing on the second, the rest between sets seems to be your limiting factor at the moment.

Listened to your advice, not a working set rest was less than 5 minutes, longer after the second working set.

Squat: 195
Bench: 170
Pull ups: BW + 22.5

Got all of the reps/sets pretty well. Felt my core tighten so hard for the first time during squats today, it was awesome! Ive never felt that many muscles tense up at once! Rep 5 set 3 of bench went up ssslllooowwwlllyyy but got it locked out.
Im going to make some micro weights at work tomorrow, take some nuts/bolts/washers, hook them together and weigh them on the expensive scale, then take a wire and attach it so I can hook them onto the bar at the gym. I figure 2x 1 lb and 2x 0.5 lb are enough. I doubt I will need to have 2 lbs on each side at any time, at that point I might as well use the 2.5 lb plates that the gym has.

Looks like my next gym visit won't be until Sunday, my girlfriend is visiting me for the weekend. Ill still be exercising :wink: :wink:

I have new motivation for this workout. This kid gained 42 lbs in 4 months on SS! Insane! Pics in link. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=923892

Victoria Maddison

Postby Victoria Maddison » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:03 am UTC

mobikwa wrote:Im going to make some micro weights at work tomorrow ... I figure 2x 1 lb and 2x 0.5 lb are enough. I doubt I will need to have 2 lbs on each side at any time, at that point I might as well use the 2.5 lb plates that the gym has.

If you want to be able to make 1 lb jumps then you'll need 2x0.5, 2x1.0 and 2x1.5 lb fractional plates. That way you can go 2x0.5 (1 lb), 2x1.0 (2 lb), 2x1.5 (3 lb), 2x1.5 + 2x0.5 (4 lb), 2x2.5 (5 lb, with standard 2.5 lb plates). With only a pair of 0.5 and 1.0's you can't make 4 lbs and would have to skip over it.

Once you can't make progress with 5 lb jumps per workout you want to switch to 4 lb jumps and that may only last a few more weeks then 3 lb jumps etc. making the biggest jumps you can until a programming change is required.

These may look like small jumps but given that you already have around a 200 lb bench press 1RM you know you're not going to be able to make 5 lb/wk jumps for another year. If that were possible you would have a 460 lb bench press in 12 months time. ;)

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

Workout #10 (I think)

Weight: 185 lb
For what I ate this weekend I am surprised at how little weight I gained...

Squat: 3x5 200
Pull ups: 3x5 BW+32.5

Squat and press went very well but struggled on the pull ups. Ended up doing 4 sets, first 3 were for 4 reps each and the last was for 2 reps. Then did a set of BW pull ups really slowly. Increasing the rest between sets has really helped.
Edit: Forgot to mention, I am battling a head cold at the moment, since my illness is all above the neck I felt it was fine to work out. I guess I was right, and I felt so much better after I started lifting, as if I wasnt sick at all.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:30 am UTC

Workout #11

Weight: 191
Guess the weekend weight was delayed in coming in, or I couldn't read the scale on Monday.

Squat: 205
Bench: 175
Deadlift: 225

Shrugs: 3x8 225
Chin ups: 1x8 BW
Dips: 1x10 BW

Failed on the last rep of Bench, got to halfway and it just wouldn't go up. An asshole was waiting for me to finish, I felt hurried and only rested about 5 minutes, I hate fuckers like that. Ill stick with 175 again next time.
Edit: Thigh measurement: 23.2 inches. Up about an inch from 7/1

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Workout #12: 7/24
weight: 190lb (why am I not gaining weight? Im eating like 4500 calories a day! I notice I am not gaining any fat, maybe Im losing fat while gaining muscle???)
Squat: 210
Press: 120
Pullups: BW + 25

FAILED on: squat rep5 set3, press rep5 set1, press rep5 set3, pull ups rep 4 set 1!!!
Took the pull up weight down to 15 lbs and still couldnt do 5 reps.

I had a terrible day, probably the worst workout Ive ever had... I rested between sets for a long time, total gym time ended up being 1:30-1:45!!

Workout #13: 7/26
squat: 210
Bench: 175
Chin ups: BW + 32.5

Squat and Bench went soooo easy! I felt so much stronger than 2 days ago.
Chins I failed on rep 5 set 1. Took weight to 25 and finished.
I think Ill take pulls and chins back to just BW and restart, maybe do sets of 8 instead of 5

Did tricep pressdown and barbell curl at the end and total workout time was 65 minutes, complete 360 from fridays workout.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Alright, havent updated in a while so Ill do a mass update.

Workout 14 7/28
squat: 215 all good
Press: 125 Failed on rep 5 set 3
Deadlift: 240 all good

Workout 15 7/30
Squat: 205 all good
Bench: 165 all good
Pullups: BW all good

Workout 16: 8/1 (went home for the weekend, went to a gym I dont normally go to. I have a feeling their bars werent the normal 44lb, I think they weighed less. Good thing about this gym is all of the old people who watch in awe as someone squats or bench presses, makes my pitiful numbers seem better to me.)
Squat: 210 all good
Press: 125 all good
Chins: BW all good

Workout 17: 8/4
Squat: 215 all good
Bench: 180 all good
Deadlift: 250 all good

Workout 18: 8/6
Thighs 24 inch, Arms 15.2 inch
Squat: 220 Lost my balance on rep 5 set 1, nearly fell backwards but got it up, next 2 sets no problem
Press: 130 Failed on rep 5 set 1, went to 125 and got the next 2 sets
Pulls: BW all good

Workout 19: 8/9
Squat: 220 All good, felt easy, should have gone for the big daddy 225, oh well, Ill do it next time
Bench: 190 Failed rep5 set1, dropped to 185 got the next 2 sets
Did dumbbell bench: 65's x 8, 75's x 6, 80's x 6
Chins: BW + 10 all good
Dips: BW 2x10

Weight is up to about 198 lbs, bodyfat calipers say Im at around 18% bodyfat and have been consistent for the past few weeks

Im feeling really good with the workouts, wish my days off could go by faster so I could hit the gym more!

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Workout 20 8/11
Squat: 225
Press: 130
Deadlift: 265

Squat + Deadlift went great. Failed on all 3 sets of Press.

Workout 21: 8/13
Squat: 230
Bench: 190
Pull ups: BW + 10

All went great. Did dumbbell bench after barbell bench, 1x6 75lb 1x5 85lb 1x1 95lb
Dips at the end, 1x5 BW+45 1x3 BW+70 1x6 BW+45

I just realized why I love Starting Strength, everyday I go to the gym I hit a new PR and I lift the most weight Ive ever lifted in my life, feels good man!

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

Workout 21: 8/15
Squat: 235
Press: 130
Chins: BW + 20

Finally got that goddamn press 3x5!

Workout 22: 8/17
Squat: 240
Bench: 200
Dead: 270

Got greedy on the bench, went for the 10lb jump, got it on the first set but failed on 2 and 3. Did 185x3 after.
Then did 3 sets with 80 lb dumbbell (bench) 4, 5, 4

If you add up those lifts (the powerlifting lifts) you'll get 710 lbs x 5!!! I broke that 700lb mark, Hell Yeah!
And bodybuilding.com's lifting stat estimator puts my 1 rep powerlifting stats at over 800lb

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 am UTC

8/19: workout 22
Weight ~ 206
Squat: 245
Press: 135
Pull up: BW +20

Form breakdown on squats, Ill keep it at 245 next workout
Press went up super easy, finally got the daddy plates up
Felt discomfort in my rotator cuff so I just did 2 sets of BW pull ups.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

8/21 workout 23

Squat: 245
Bench: 205
Chins: BW + 25

Since I was an idiot and did an arms workout yesterday instead of resting I failed on the bench, got 3, 4, 3 reps out. Chins were hard but I got em.

Then I did dips
1 x 5 x BW
1 x 5 x BW+45
1 x 2 x BW+90
1 x 5 x BW+45
1 x 15 x BW

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

Its been a while so I think Ill post an update.

On Sept 1st I moved, there was much lifting and carry stuff down stairs, into a truck, out of a truck and back upstairs. I was sore for a while. I guess I twerked my back or something because I couldn't lift as much after that. Things got hectic with school starting and I wasn't lifting well. Started getting back on track and then about a week ago I deadlifted more that I should have and my back went out (stupid me).Its finally feeling better and I will be hitting the gym tomorrow. I studied correct form as a refresher and I guess Ive been letting it slide recently, gotta fix that. Tomorrow's lifts will be:

Squat 225
Bench 210
Deadlift 240

Another big thing, Ive gained a lot of weight, more than I should have. It was my first intentional bulk and I got carried away, slipped into my old, 300 lb me, habits. I tipped the scales at 219 this morning and have decided to go on a cut. Dropped my calories to about 2500 while maintaining a high protein intake. I know I wont be able to progress as I would normally on SS with a calorie deficit so I think I will switch up my program. Going to a Legs/push/pull/rest split that focuses on heavy compound movements with low reps. I have taken before pictures and will upload at the end of the cut.

Will post update tomorrow.

Edit:

I woke up yesterday and I must have slept weird because my back was a little sore. Skipped the gym.

Went this morning after practicing my form all day yesterday with an empty bar, got it perfect except for some hip tucking at the bottom of my squat, I will stretch my hamstring hardcore for the next few weeks to correct the problem.

Did the following:
Squat: 3x3 @ 185
Press: 3x4 @ 125
Dead: 1x5 @ 255
Dbell Bench: 1x4 @ 85's

I did the deadlifting turned 90 degrees so I could glance at the mirror and form check myself before every rep, my back felt GREAT!
I felt great overall but I did notice that the lower calories were hitting me midway through my workout, I was exhausted but kept pushing with good form.

Return to “Fit Club”