beach body?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

gwehnyfar

beach body?

Postby gwehnyfar » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:54 am UTC

So this is a thread to hopefully keep me from getting into my teenage funk of eating when im bored or depressed. For a little background info: im 5'9 and currently weigh around 165lbs. Last spring I weighed 195 and managed through a fairly simple South Beach-esque diet and pilates in addition to my water polo practices to lose the extra weight. However, I still have at least another 20 pounds of weight to lose and I cant seem to get myself to start dieting or exercising. I think its stress, and that stress is just causing me to eat more. What should I do?

Patman

Re: beach body?

Postby Patman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:55 am UTC

It's all in your head buddy. You're probably unhappy. Fix that. Make friends with positive people, even if they are not the coolest cats about, their positivity will be contagious.

gwehnyfar

Postby gwehnyfar » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:53 pm UTC

agreed. you are definitely right, life just seems to be getting in the way

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

5 foot 9, 165 lbs? Put on some muscle. Your body fat percentage looks way lower when you have some muscle on your frame. It's the easiest way to improve your looks by far, plus it'll help you lose the rest of that fat eventually since the muscle will use more energy. You don't want to be one of those stick figure males, do you? At 145 you'll look positively waif-like and emaciated.

Try Starting Strength and check out 70sbig.com.

I am assuming you are male. You didn't specify.

bleakeh

Postby bleakeh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:5 foot 9, 165 lbs? Put on some muscle. Your body fat percentage looks way lower when you have some muscle on your frame. It's the easiest way to improve your looks by far, plus it'll help you lose the rest of that fat eventually since the muscle will use more energy. You don't want to be one of those stick figure males, do you? At 145 you'll look positively waif-like and emaciated.

Try Starting Strength and check out 70sbig.com.

I am assuming you are male. You didn't specify.

I'm pretty sure gweh's a girl.... If he/she said he/she has 20 more pounds to lose at 165... that means he/she would want to be 145... and for a guy that's like being a stick, for a girl that puts you at average (or above) weight.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:22 am UTC

Im around 150 and not at all sticklike.

Garzahd

Postby Garzahd » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

I'd advise running if you want to lose weight, it will help with the stress too. And, if you're a girl you probably don't want to be bulking up anyway. Diets have always been a waste of time in my opinion, then again, I've never actually been in a position where I needed one. Just keep in mind that running usually takes about 2 weeks hard work before it becomes relaxing and easy.

Patman

Postby Patman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

Garzahd wrote:Just keep in mind that running usually takes about 2 weeks hard work before it becomes relaxing and easy.
QFT. But it's hell worth it.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

Girls pretty much CAN'T bulk up anyway, that's a stupid myth that dissuades most women from doing something that is really far more beneficial for their bodies and for their appearance than running.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:At 145 you'll look positively waif-like and emaciated.

Lol - I'm a male, 5'10", and I've been in the low to mid 140s for a couple years. I would like to build more muscle.
Exit the vampires' castle.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

This cardio vs. strength (or more specifically, weights vs. running) seems to come up in every thread now, doesn't it?
lol everything matters
-Ed

jtw

Postby jtw » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:03 am UTC

psyck0 wrote:Girls pretty much CAN'T bulk up anyway, that's a stupid myth that dissuades most women from doing something that is really far more beneficial for their bodies and for their appearance than running.

Exactly. Men respond somewhat better than women to resistance training, and most men can't "bulk up" anyway. If it were so easy to "bulk up" then don't you think all those scrawny guys who spend hours in the gym would be huge??

gwehnyfar

Postby gwehnyfar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:23 am UTC

firstly to clarify, im a girl. secondly i need to replace my fat with muscle, im not really trying to bulk up significantly, and dont tell me it cant be done because ive been at that point, but had to stop practicing for a few months to focus on school work. i play water polo just fyi. i do it do i dont have to run because im clumsy as hell :). anyway im just having trouble with motivation, dieting and excercise arent that big a deal to me. this thread is kind of moot at this point because i neeeeeed to get my strength and endurance up because im out of shape now, while the harvard coach is recruiting me

Return to “Fit Club”