Laptop Exercises

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

dahud

Laptop Exercises

Postby dahud » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

I have a 6.5 pound laptop that is always with me, and it occurs to me that I could be doing something while lugging it around.
What sort of exercises can be done with a five pound weight over long periods?

EDIT: Also, it seems that certain choice inefficiencies in daily life would pile up after a while; things like opening a door near the hinge.

Nath

Re: Laptop Exercises

Postby Nath » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

Pinky curls?

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:44 am UTC

The myth that you can actually accomplish anything by doing things like curls with your grocery bags really needs to die. Life isn't that easy.

TGM

Postby TGM » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:06 am UTC

You could do some sprints while carrying that weight. Though you can omit the carrying five pounds part.

psyck0 wrote:The myth that you can actually accomplish anything by doing things like curls with your grocery bags really needs to die. Life isn't that easy.

If you could we'd all have 30" arms.

There are a few international students that I've seen with .5kg weights strapped to their ankles and wrists. I have no idea where people get this stuff from.
- TGM

jtw

Postby jtw » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

5 lbs isn't enough to do anything, and you'll be sorry the first time you drop it. Don't bother; take care with expensive equipment.

Solt

Postby Solt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:38 am UTC

Situps.

Sidearm shoulder raises if you can get a good grip on the laptop. Wouldn't suggest it. Maybe with the laptop bag though.

Rotator cuff?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

eternauta3k

Postby eternauta3k » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

Hanging leg raises.
(but if you can raise your legs with 2kg on your ankles, you've earned my respect...)
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

sodium

Postby sodium » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:33 am UTC

TGM wrote:There are a few international students that I've seen with .5kg weights strapped to their ankles and wrists. I have no idea where people get this stuff from.

When I did gymnastics we would do simple skills while wearing weights. When you removed them you could do them with less effort. However, some people would fling their feet and use the weights for more momentum. In that case, it didn't work as well.

fooliam

Postby fooliam » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:10 am UTC

If you have .5kg weights on for a whole day, and you do a lot of going up and down stairs...like a couple thousand...it could do maybe a tiny bit? ha.

Bought ME2 based on my totally useful poll :-)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:22 am UTC

It can also cause inflammation and swelling of the joints if you're vulnerable to that sort of thing. I wouldn't try it, but then I'm an old bag who has to exercise verrry carefully so as not to damage anything. :/
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

markop2003

Postby markop2003 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

fooliam wrote:If you have .5kg weights on for a whole day, and you do a lot of going up and down stairs...like a couple thousand...it could do maybe a tiny bit? ha.

Well i think the idea is you run with them, they're more of an addition t what you currently do than a substitute.

TBH with just 5lb i don't think it's going to do anything more than make walking a bit more difficult. Perhaps if you brought a couple external hard drives, a large bottle of water, some text books and all your accessories you may be able to do something meaningful though whether that will fit in your bag is a different matter.

Return to “Fit Club”