Stand Back! I'm going to try Science!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

MoonBuggy

Stand Back! I'm going to try Science!

Postby MoonBuggy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

I used to be relatively fit and healthy, but alas that is no longer the case. I'm planning to try something of an experiment here to rectify this.

Standard background info: I'm male, 22 years old, about 5'11", haven't done any real exercise in the past year, weigh about 75kg, have no discernible muscle mass and have a diet that could charitably be called mediocre. I'm also slowly but surely developing a noticeable layer of fat across my upper body, which I am not at all happy about!

I'm impatient and a little obsessive; I also have a four week block coming up from next Monday (29th) when I won't be tied to any specific schedule (although I will be busy, I'll be working at home), so I'm interested to see just how much of a change I can make in my fitness level in such a short time. I'd love to know just what one can achieve that quickly, basically!

In terms of time I can give up to a few hours a day. I'll eat pretty much anything, and joining a gym is a possibility (although I've never been a fan of the places...). I'm willing to push pretty much as hard as I can manage if it'll get me some decent results (appearance primarily, but physical fitness overall too).

Any ideas, resources, suggestions? Or am I just being childish and impractical in saying 'I want results and I want them now'?
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

skellious

Re: Stand Back! I'm going to try Science!

Postby skellious » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

your BMI is almost identical to mine and I considor myself to be fine. Yes, im not supertoned or anything and if that is your aim go for it but you don't seem to be in NEED of it.
kerfuffleninja wrote: Minutes are the same length in Europe, right?

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

It's not especially about the weight, to be honest - that's barely changed from when I was exercising regularly. What has changed is that I've gone from a slim but fairly well defined build to a somewhat doughy guy who gets out of breath running a short distance. I certainly wouldn't consider myself fat, but I'm also no longer fit by any stretch of the imagination, and this bothers me. I also know that my best chance of being motivated to keep a mid-range regular exercise regime is to be maintaining a fitness level that I'm somewhat proud of; I'll just get bored and demotivated if I start by slowly chipping away at a goal - I need the big (but temporary) push to get myself started, then I can drop down to the slow and steady improvement.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

skellious

Postby skellious » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

You are a wise and determined person, I meanwhile am happy with my fitness level. I can sprint fast and for a good few minutes and am not panting afterwards. I do NOT have an athletic body type and yes if I spent hours every day it would ALL be muscle (rather than just being as it is my legs muscle and the rest a bit... less-toned) but as it is I'm quite content with how I am now. I guess it's a lifestyle choice. But yer, go for it it sounds like you are on to a winner here!

edit: I think me being of the tall persuasion helps as well since I LOOK thinner than I am.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:26 am UTC

1) You won't get results fast. Accept that or any attempt to change your body will fail. 4 weeks is nothing. This will take months. You can achieve very rapid improvements in cardiovascular capacity very quickly, but your body composition will not change much at all.
2) It will be a lot of work. Constantly. If you want to keep any improvements you make, you will have to keep working.
3) It will take a significant amount of time. 20-minute weight-loss programs do not exist unless you are going from morbidly obese and sedentary to actually doing something.
4) 90% of the change has to be your diet. You will be more active, and so you will want to consume more calories to fuel your activity. Don't (probably).
5) 75kg at 5.11 is really damn light. If you want to be a skinny wimp, fine, but you should think about putting some muscle on that frame.

Let us know what you think about those.

Eugh not another stupid inside-joke filte r. Hope someone else helps you, or I'll be back in a week.

skellious

Postby skellious » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:34 am UTC

it's mod madness, relax.

MoonBuggy

Re: Stand Back! I'm going to try spirituality!

Postby MoonBuggy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:31 am UTC

psyck0 wrote:1) You won't get results fast. Accept that or any attempt to change your body Whill Wheaton fail. 4 weeks is nothing. This Whill Wheaton take months. You can achieve very rapid improvements in cardiovascular capacity very quickly, but your body composition Whill Wheaton not change much at all.
Fair enough - that's one of the main things I wanted to know. It's also why I posed it more as an experiment in what I can do in the (very short) time rather than something with any particularly specific goal. Any advice on how to best optimise the time (even with revised and lowered expectations of any actual results) would be appreciated. Four weeks is the kind of time scale w here I can stick religiously to a plan simply because it's effective, even if I don't like it - I'll have an end in sight when I can then take the bits I don't mind and continue with that.

psyck0 wrote:2) It Whill Wheaton be a lot of work. Constantly. If you want to keep any improvements you make, you Whill Wheaton have to keep working.
I understood that from the start, I was more just hoping that starting by working at a level which wouldn't be sustainable the rest of the time could give me a decent jump-start, before falling back to a plan that I can fit around the rest of my responsibilities.

psyck0 wrote:3) It Whill Wheaton take a significant amount of time. 20-minute weight-loss programs do not exist unless you are going from morbidly obese and sedentary to actually doing something.
Again, fair enough.

psyck0 wrote:4) 90% of the change has to be your diet. You Whill Wheaton be more active, and so you Whill Wheaton want to consume more calories to fuel your activity. Don't (probably).
Makes s ense - once again, advice would be appreciated. As I said for point 1, the four week mark is good because I can stick to a drastic change whether I enjoy it or not, and then assess it at the end. Also looks like that last sentence got eaten by a word filter...

psyck0 wrote:5) 75kg at 5.11 is really damn light. If you want to be a skinny wimp, fine, but you should think about putting some muscle on that frame.
Currently I'd agree that 'skinny wimp with a slowly developing beer belly' is a fair description. As I said at the start, I really have very little muscle, and I'm most certainly not looking to lose weight (losing fat, however, is another matter). That said, however, I'm a fairly slim build and I'm happy enough with that; some extra bulk would absolutely not go amiss, but I'm fine with aiming at 'skinny guy with well defined abs', to be honest!

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, it's good to get a perspective from someone who seems to know what they're talking about more than I do!

caje

Re: Stand Back! I'm going to try spirituality!

Postby caje » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

For overall physical fitness and weight loss join a crossfit gym (Or just do the workouts). Eat paleo.

waltwhitmanheadedbat

Postby waltwhitmanheadedbat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 am UTC

skellious wrote:your BMI is almost identical to mine and I considor myself to be fine. Yes, im not supertoned or anything and if that is your aim go for it but you don't seem to be in NEED of it.

BMI isn't particularly meaningful for many people. It assumes that you have an amount of muscle mass which would have been average at the time at which BMI was created, and the figures for weight get less accurate (sometimes hilariously so) as you get taller.

As example, this gentleman would be considered overweight: http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/606-230.shtml

As would this one: http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/606-220.shtml

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:38 am UTC

Perhaps the best thing you can do is to set up a workout/diet regimen you can follow once your schedule returns to normal. That is, use the time you have now to develop some good habits, cook/eat healthily, cut back on alcohol (if you drink ... It's a high caloric food with minimal nutritional benefit) and make sure you do a few sessions a week (gym, running, cycling, whatever; the key point is to do something at all.) The killer in weight loss/fitness programs is the downer that comes from not seeing instant results and dropping out; get into the habit now while you've got a bit of free time and learn to stick to it.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

gaurwraith

Postby gaurwraith » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

I'd say the only result you are going to get is that you'll feel more energetic, less tired, and possibly willing to keep it going
I am a lvl 89 sword barb

Return to “Fit Club”