How do you stop yourself from snacking on bad things?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Odd_nonposter

Re: How do you stop yourself from snacking on bad things?

Postby Odd_nonposter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:19 am UTC

Most of the time I eat out of boredom. I need something to do with my mouth to keep me entertained. Freud would say that I have an oral fixation of some sort.

So, I do what quitting smokers do: chew gum. Chewing sugarless gum was probably the best thing that I started doing to keep from eating junk food. One piece of gum, chewed until it's repulsive to keep in, will occupy me for hours. Afterwards, my jaw muscles will be too tired to do anything else. Unshelled sunflower seeds are another thing you could try, but the fat and salt (and anything in the flavoring) would be something to watch out for. That, and they're kind of messy, which is fine if you're a farmer or a construction worker, but not something you'd want at your desk.

Also, +1 on the reading labels thing. Sometimes, those gram and calorie figures seem to lose meaning in comparison to portion size.
Figure out or estimate, by mass, the percentage of fat, sugar, starch, etc. your snack is composed of. e.g. (g sugar)/( mass per serving) You'll stop eating things when you figure out "holy shit, this shit is half sugar!"
Also, one of my favorite pastimes is reading the ingredients list and trying to figure out what each thing is supposed to do. "Hmm.. maltodextrin... I bet that's there for mouthfeel, or to stick the salt to the chips... BHT is an antioxidant... that would stop things from going rancid..." But that's just my chemistry geekery showing through.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

lag

Postby lag » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

I found a free calorie lookup site on line and it has changed my life. Keeping an accurate diary of all my food and oversize had put my snacking to a complete standstill. I look at a cookie and visualize: Why would I eat that thing? I could have an entire dinner for the same calorie cost! I feel full and healthy, I eat throughout the day and sipping my ice water constantly. Sure I have my cravings from time to time like anyone else, but they have been further and fewer between. I've lost 6% of my body fat so far, and I hope to keep going. :)

A little backstory for reference...

I was on a DIY portion control / healthy eating diet about two years ago that worked great but I kept snacking and eventually fell off the wagon. I couldn't figure out how to keep from snacking on bad things I mean, come on, free cookies at work? How can you pass up that offer? All you can eat? Challenge accepted.

Then a little over a month ago I became physically ill looking at myself in the mirror... I was that disgusting. To give you an idea: I tried to weigh myself but I exceeded the max weight of every scale I could find, even the one at the grocery store. I finally resorted to using the freight shipping scale at work. I weighed more than before my first diet! (BMI of 46!)

I knew from watching shows like the biggest loser, and reading articles about morbidly obese individuals that I needed to cut my calorie intake drastically. Funny enough, one good thing about being obese is that with your BMR you burn a ton of calories naturally. To start off I could still eat quite a bit of food and lose weight, as long as I ate the right things. Now with my weight loss I am starting to feel my energy coming back, I'm able to go swimming and on longer walks without getting winded. My goal is to lose 11.5% body fat by October and start lifting weights again. I am really looking forward to feeling healthy again.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

lag wrote:I found a free calorie lookup site on line and it has changed my life. Keeping an accurate diary of all my food and oversize had put my snacking to a complete standstill.
This really is what I found to be the best, simply counting calories, especially if you know how much you have to exercise to make up for it. "This cookie has 350 calories how long would I have to run to burn that? *Looks it up* 3.5 miles? Yeah, fuck that cookie. This apple has 20 calories, I think I will have that instead." Simply keeping track of my intake and outtake, and understanding of the relationship of the two has done wonders for my health. Also to be honest the pure pain in the ass it is to keep track sometimes dissuades me, I would eat that... but that means I have to take the time to write it down in my journal... too lazy.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Return to “Fit Club”