Yoga

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Shro
science genius girl

Yoga

Postby Shro » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Has anyone ever done any Bikram Yoga? What were your experiences? For those of you who don't know, Bikram yoga is a series of 26 poses done over 90 minutes in a room heated to 100 degrees.

I'm taking advantage of a new student offer at a Bikram Studio here, and I get 10 unlimited days for $20. Being kind of poor, I wanted to be able to go every day so I got the most benefit. Let me tell you, I'm on Day 3 and it has been kicking my butt. The first two days, I was SOOOO TIRED afterwards, I couldn't even do anything. Today, however, I was energized like nobody's business (although I didn't get as deep into the poses as yesterday) . It's kind of nice noticing progress.

Also the sweat. The sweat literally drips off me, practically raining onto the towel. I started getting a bit of acne when I started working out, but it's started to go down, and my skin feels all glowy and soft. I'm eating better, because I don't want to put bad things in my body anymore. I quit smoking, just like that, no big deal, because I really want to be healthier in a whole-mind-soul-body way instead of just in a body way. Bikram requires so much self control for me, that I feel like the rest of the things in my life are just easier to deal with. It's just a cool feeling, and I feel like most yoga practices, if done with dedication, really change your whole outlook on what it is to be healthy.

What other types of yoga have you tried? What kind is your favorite? What do you like about it? What poses do you have the most trouble with? Do you perceive yoga as just too easy to be considered a workout? Do you think it's overrated? Why haven't you tried yoga?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

meatyochre

Re: Yoga

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

I love yoga as a form of exercise. However, I prefer to keep religious overtones out of my exercise. I tried Sahaja yoga in college but I never went back after the first meeting because it seemed like the entire point was worshiping some Indian woman whom I'd never heard of. I mean, creepy cult-like worship.

I also like guided meditation, but again prefer it unassociated with religion. Spirituality or general "energy" references are OK though. I have found a lot of free meditation audios online. I should remind myself to do that tonight, I've been going crazy with stress lately and I always forget to spend time unwinding when I get home.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:50 am UTC

Just did my first-ever yoga class tonight, one of the classes offered by my gym that I almost never go to. I like it. There's another class on Thursday nights with a different teacher, so I'll probably go then too.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:23 am UTC

I'm a fan of Bikram, but I don't feel that it's a surrogate for other forms of fitness. It certainly is a fantastic supplement however.
EDIT: that's maybe not fair; there are many different fitness goals, and Bikram will likely get you to at least a few of them. It isn't good for strength training...
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:00 am UTC

I'm going to be honest here, I think Bikram is pants, and Ashtanga is where it's at.

I think Bikram is pants because I'm not convinced that the high temperatures are necessary or safe, and because the guy who 'invented' it is ridiculously rich from franchising and aggressively protecting his 'invention'. I love Ashtanga because I like the balance between strength and flexibility, but I will freely admit that for the most part it is that I really like my teacher. I think a good teacher is more important than what kind of yoga you do.

I've been doing it for almost a year, and have noticed huge, huge improvements in my health, body, and strength. I know the sequences well enough that I can also do it at home, which is good when I want to save money.

meatyochre wrote:However, I prefer to keep religious overtones out of my exercise

Same here

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue May 24, 2011 9:56 am UTC

Resurrection time.

I'm not big on physical fitness in general but since getting pregnant I've been thinking more and more about doing yoga. There are classes at a gym I'm a member at (haha) which I keep threatening to go to; I want to go and talk to the instructor about doing it while very unfit, inflexible and pregnant. That's my first option as it's the cheapest.

There's also specialized preggie yoga nearish my work I could do once a week.

I did a bit of yoga at my university gym half a lifetime ago, and it was cool, but I'm still quite apprehensive as I'm in very potato-like physical shape.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Return to “Fit Club”