Intensity Vs Duration for weight loss

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Pansori

Intensity Vs Duration for weight loss

Postby Pansori » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:37 am UTC

I was wondering in regards to losing weight which would be better, a short extremely intensive work out, or a longer semi intensive one? Specifically, I am wondering would I burn more calories if I sprinted for 20 minutes or if I did a steady jog for 45? Or is there much of a difference? I am not looking to build muscle mass, just want to lose 20 pounds or so.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Intensity Vs Duration for weight loss

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:17 am UTC

If you're avoiding building mass, then likely cardio, since the increased VO2max of interval cardio can take several hours to dissipate, and results in increased caloric burn for the entire duration. SO, your best bet is say 2 minute max sprint, 2 minute jog, back and forth. Interval training is tremendous for caloric burn / weight loss.

psyck0

Re: Intensity Vs Duration for weight loss

Postby psyck0 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:38 am UTC

Researchers put two groups on identical diets and had one group do endurance work and the other do intensity work. The intensity group exercised for slightly less time overall and burned fewer calories during the course of the exercise, but lost over 50% more weight.

Return to “Fit Club”