How many of you view exercise as a chore?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Is exersise a chore to you?

Yes exersise is a chore
30%
No exersise is not a chore
21%
Maybe exersise is a chore
15%
I Don't Know if exersise is a chore
1%
Can You Repeat That Question about exersise being a chore?
3%
Yes I am obsessed
5%
No I'm not obsessed
13%
Maybe exersise I'm obsessed
2%
I Don't Know if I'm obsessed
1%
Can You Repeat That Question about being obsessed?
8%

Total votes: 151

DenSomKastade

Re: How many of you view exercise as a chore?

Postby DenSomKastade » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

I see going too the gym as achore since it is boring and it always reminds me of a modernised medieval torture chamber. Running and jogging outside is on the other side fun and it one of the only ways I can feel total freedom

Mavrisa

Postby Mavrisa » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:55 am UTC

I used to find it chore-like, and as a result, I just about stopped altogether. But recently I've started parkouring, and that is so much fun and is such a good workout that I no longer feel that way. It's actually made me want to do other exercises when I can't get outside - I am setting fitness goals now, which sounds *really* weird for me.
If you're looking for something fun to do that only counts as exercise because it's a good way to get fit, try parkour! I recommend going with one or more friends. It's more fun when the experience is shared, and it really helps to have someone to both encourage and challenge you.
"I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's, she's never gonna let us relax."

Danik

Postby Danik » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

Mavrisa wrote:I used to find it chore-like, and as a result, I just about stopped altogether. But recently I've started parkouring, and that is so much fun and is such a good workout that I no longer feel that way. It's actually made me want to do other exercises when I can't get outside - I am setting fitness goals now, which sounds *really* weird for me.
If you're looking for something fun to do that only counts as exercise because it's a good way to get fit, try parkour! I recommend going with one or more friends. It's more fun when the experience is shared, and it really helps to have someone to both encourage and challenge you.

This is good advice.

Also if you find exercising a chore, FORCE yourself to go workout/run, you will probably hate it, but record what you did, and as you see yourself become better you will get addicted, that's what happened to me, i actually became addicted to working out, and it lasted for a while, until my schedule got out of whack, then i just couldn't work out, make sure there is always time to workout.

georgeswift

Postby georgeswift » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:29 am UTC

For me Exercise is a Habit and there is more than just a physical habit.

Doing my exercise in the afternoons/evening helps me just reboot my mind in a sense so that I can take away all the stress and worries after the work day.
After a great run or swim, I find that all my problems are a lot easier to solve for some reason.

So no exercise for me is not a chore. It is a good habit to tone the body and reboot the mind.

gfile-destroyer

Postby gfile-destroyer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

Exercise has never been a chore except when I first started when I was 11, then when I saw the results I got I fell in love. Ive always loved getting stronger and feeling better the more I worked out. However after being hurt for 4 years I feel very privileged to have found an exercise I can do without hurting myself. Going out and swimming myself ragged is probably the most enjoyable part of my day. Im so grateful I even have the chance to work hard and exhaust myself it's kind of laughable to wonder if I think of it as a chore.

I was obsessed with baseball when I was younger, but I was highly competitive and put a lot of effort into multiple sports, not obsessively though I suppose. There was a reason the varsity team had me playing summer baseball with them as a freshman.

eaglewings51

Postby eaglewings51 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

I don't go religiously (although I should start going more) but I don't view it as a chore either. The key to enjoying exercise and not viewing it as a chore is doing an exercise you enjoy. I enjoy running but in the winter time, it's too cold to run outside. I hate running inside especially on a treadmill so instead, I swim because I also enjoy swimming. I also rock climb. If you hate a certain type of exercise, don't exercise that way! There's so many different types of exercise, there's bound to be at least one you enjoy and would have fun doing.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 am UTC

Exercise is not just a chore for me, but something that's actually physically painful for me to do. I try to avoid exercise because, even in small amounts, it causes me a lot of pain. Even at physical therapy, I'd often throw out my back exercising.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

_-KM-_

Postby _-KM-_ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

I've always been skinny, but lately as I get into my 20's and I drink more booze (UK here, so I've had a good 3 year run up to 21...) I've noticed I've got a bit of mini moob and some belly fat that bothers me immensely. I have reasonable lookin biceps (as in, they're there) but that's about it, and it bothers me cos I know I could be a beefcake if I just put the effort in, but I am SO goddamn lazy it's unreal. I only got biceps cos I had a gym buddy for a few weeks a couple of years back and he got me into free weights, now I'm solo, despite buying some free-weights, it's just not happening. I should get a gym membership and go out really... but ah. Yeah, back on topic, total chore atm. I don't run, swim, cycle, do anything at all really!

Return to “Fit Club”