Pez Loses Weight

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Pez Loses Weight

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:01 pm UTC

...and refers to himself in the third person.

So, in honour of MJ's promotion to purple, I am starting my own weight-loss thread. I've been browsing other's threads for useful tibbits, and this one is mostly to track my progress over time.

I am 168 cm's tall and at the start of the year I weighed about 84 kg. That's 5"6 and 185 pounds for you imperial folk. With a bit of dieting I've come down to 72 kg (158 pounds) in about six months, and dropped about two or three inches on my waist. That leaves me as overweight, by a whisker, according to my BMI, and I want to get down solidly in the 'normal weight' category, which for me would be about 65 kg.

I've successfully cut back on softdrinks (coke, etc) and white sugar in my coffee/tea, but I still drink quite a bit (I'm sure a scotch and water is better than scotch and coke, but it still isn't the best). I generally have an apple or a banana each day, and something like a tin of tuna for lunch. Dinner is when it's most likely to go wrong, because I still live at home, and my mother is in charge of those meals. I'll sometimes cook, so I can balance it with what I've already eaten, but there are times she gives me a meal that's too large and I just eat it anyway. I try and keep up with vegetables and water so my body is getting enough goodness.

Habitually, I'm a fairly dedicated eater. I'm the first to finish my meal and if I'm not watching myself I can majorly overeat. That is, I'll keep stuffing my face long after I'm full. Lately, I've been pretty good at keeping a check on this. Previously, for example, it was impossible for me to stop at two slices of pizza, which I'm more content about today (and even that is quite rare).

I don't like sports, so my exercise routine isn't the best. I am incredibly apprehensive about joining a gymn. But I do like going for walks and I don't mind doing pushups and squats from the comfort of my room.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for advice (although any of it would be welcome), I just want this here so I can track my progress and make sure I'm sticking to things.
Last edited by Pez Dispens3r on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Pez Loses Weight

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

I was about to say "You're 6'8" and you want to get down to 65kg???? Do you want to post for Starving Children posters???"

Then I checked the math :) 168cm is about 5'6". The rest of your stuff makes a lot more sense now. Your diet seems fine, lots of protein, low in fat, lots of roughage. Dinner is where I always tended to screw up, too, but from the looks of it your end-of-day calorie count seems fine, unless you're packing away a seriously big dinner. Can you just ask for less? Or not eat all of it, and save it as leftovers?

Walks are good, if you can keep up a fairly quick pace. When I started doing my lunchtime walks at a very brisk pace, that was when I noticed the belt getting noticeably looser.

fooliam

Postby fooliam » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

wait wait wait...you're 6 feet 8 Inches tall, and you think 185 is overweight?

Thanks MJ for checking the math...5'6" makes a LOT more sense.

Anyway, if you're not big on going to the gym, lots of walking can be fine. If you can get an hour to 90 minutes of brisk walking in a day, you should be ok. Obviously, it won't get the same results as jogging or interval training, but the best exercises is the exercise you'll actually do.

Bought ME2 based on my totally useful poll :-)

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:29 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:I am incredibly apprehensive about joining a gymn.

Do you have any particular concerns about this which we might be able to address?
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:03 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I was about to say "You're 6'8" and you want to get down to 65kg???? Do you want to post for Starving Children posters???"

Then I checked the math :) 168cm is about 5'6".

Goddamnit this is where you all realize I suck at imperial. Halfway through using the conversion calculator I jogged the numbers around in my head. Edited to fix it.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The rest of your stuff makes a lot more sense now. Your diet seems fine, lots of protein, low in fat, lots of roughage. Dinner is where I always tended to screw up, too, but from the looks of it your end-of-day calorie count seems fine, unless you're packing away a seriously big dinner. Can you just ask for less? Or not eat all of it, and save it as leftovers?

Affirming post is affirming. "Not eating all of it" is not on the list of my personal strengths, but I am getting better at it. Still, I have been known to slip.

Re: gymn stuff, I would be more likely to go if I had a group of friends to go with I felt comfortable with, but at the moment I don't really have the funds to do even that. It's walking/jogging all the way down, for the time being, but if it doesn't net me results I might change my tune.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:32 am UTC

I weigh um, a lot more than you, and I really think a gym membership would be great. Start strength training now, instead of waiting for the fat to go away. But yes, try to get a workout buddy to keep yourself motivated!

I personally have a planet fitness membership. It costs 20 dollars a month (I also joined during a no-down-fee promotion but I did have to sign a 12 month commitment, withdrawn monthly from my bank acct). The part is, I can bring in a partner for free every single time I visit. I definitely recommend it if you have a PF in your area and are looking to go to a gym. You can split the membership fee with the friend you plan to bring if there is one person who could afford 10 dollars a month. (oh and they're 24 hours)

So um, I promise I'm not a spambot or anything. But I love my gym! Their whole motto is no judging, and it's a good place to work out as long as you're not the meathead super-competitive type (cause they don't have free weights, it's dumbells, cardio machines, and weight machines).

Good luck on your journey and don't be scared to try a gym. I was apprehensive at first because of self-image, but I love it!
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:37 am UTC

You can lose weight without lifting weights, 'fact you'll lose weigh faster however a fair portion of it will be muscle. You need to do some form of strength training in order to preserve the muscle already on your frame while you lose weight. That's the only way you'll be able to be successful in the long term. For the 6 months you were dieting, was the weight loss consistent over that entire period? If so you're actually going about the process quite intelligently for the most part. How come you're asking for help now? Are you not satisfied with the results you've got over the last 6 months or have you reached a peak?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:55 am UTC

Beated me to it, but yes, he makes an excellent point. Pez, can I interest you in two excellent e-books that have helped me a ton? :)

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:59 am UTC

shocklocks, the weight loss was fairly steady for about four months, when I ducked just under 70kg, but it's been wavering a little since then. I didn't start this thread earlier because I was apprehensive I wouldn't be able to lose any weight, and that the whole exercise would be made of fail. That I did lose weight has given me more confidence, though. But mostly this thread is because I want to keep on track and this sort of anchors me to my convictions. That is, I plan to waste the fora server space by making this my online weightloss diary (and there's nothing you can do to stop me, mwa-ha-cough).

Thanks for the tip, meaty, but that's not really the point. Gyms scare me. PF sounds good in that respect, but they seem to be located in NSW which is a bit of a bike ride away. Still, this is something I'll get to in my own time. It doesn't help that my highly athletic brother keeps pestering me to go to his gym, where I would feel super crazy uncomfortable.

MJ, I've read about half of your thread, and was meaning to ask you about the ebook you were pimping. I would be super interested to look into them, if you felt like sending them on (justin.boden@gmail.com).
this isn't my cow

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:01 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno : Diet Pimp.

I sound like a soda.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:01 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:Thanks for the tip, meaty, but that's not really the point. Gyms scare me.

I know exactly what you mean, and I was uncomfortable the first few times I went to a large gym. I didn't know the etiquette; I didn't know how to use the equipment; I figured there'd be fitter people all around, rolling their eyes.

But if you come in with a plan and train hard, you'll quickly realize that: a) nobody else notices or cares what you do, b) with just a little research, you'll know more than 90% of the people there, and c) once you know what you're doing, you won't care what Joe Gymrat thinks, and you'll quickly overtake him anyway. Going to the gym is now one of the most relaxing parts of my life; it's almost a form of meditation. I mostly keep to myself, and the few interactions I've had have been uniformly positive; people who know how to train productively are usually helpful, smart folks who remember being beginners.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:13 am UTC

Yeah, I take the point, and that is reassuring. But I'm the sort of person where, to do something spontaneous like join a gym, I need about six months to prepare for it. If not, two years. I'm maybe half-way there. In the meantime, morning jogs and evening pushups are where it's at.

Also, email was received very promptly. Thanks, MJ (:
this isn't my cow

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:02 am UTC

Where are you located, Pez? If you were to go to a gym that uses free-weights rather than machine-based junk, you'd probably find them to be more equitable than a mainstream gym, since the culture there will be more about lifting weight than losing weight. (And at your weight, I'd expect you to be able to lift a reasonable amount right from the start.) This also has the advantage of letting you focus your weight loss on burning fat while protecting muscle, rather than just dropping weight of any kind.
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:but I still drink quite a bit (I'm sure a scotch and water is better than scotch and coke, but it still isn't the best).

How much, exactly? A shot of 40 proof liquor has 100 calories. Depending on how much you drink cutting it out could easily drop you a few pounds.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:45 am UTC

Small update: despite not following a particularly tight regime I'm down to 69.8 kg. So, still on track towards my goal weight :)

Solt wrote:
Pez Dispens3r wrote:but I still drink quite a bit (I'm sure a scotch and water is better than scotch and coke, but it still isn't the best).

How much, exactly?

Yes.

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:Where are you located, Pez? If you were to go to a gym that uses free-weights rather than machine-based junk, you'd probably find them to be more equitable than a mainstream gym, since the culture there will be more about lifting weight than losing weight. (And at your weight, I'd expect you to be able to lift a reasonable amount right from the start.) This also has the advantage of letting you focus your weight loss on burning fat while protecting muscle, rather than just dropping weight of any kind.

I'm in Adelaide. That's good advice, but I'm still not about to join a gym. Maybe I will starting next year.
this isn't my cow

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Update: I weighed myself today and I'm down to 66.5 kg. So I'm quite a lot closer to my target weight, just from continuing my diet. Annoying, though, because pants and belts I bought a few months ago no longer fit my waist, and where a medium-sized shirt was tight I'm now finding smalls a little loose. Hoping to carry the trend, though.
this isn't my cow

Return to “Fit Club”