Formula for calories lost doing INSERT EXERCISE HERE

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Bishop

Formula for calories lost doing INSERT EXERCISE HERE

Postby Bishop » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 am UTC

Hey guys,
So I'm trying to lose weight, and get back some athleticism I lost when I was in high school. Since I thought it'd be fun, I'm writing a program that stores what I eat and what exercises I'm doing, as well as pretty graphs for my weight over time, calories lost in day, and other things. So far it's been really fun to program, but for whatever reason I can't seem to find and formulas for calculating lost calories given an exercise, only calculators that are supposed to calculate this for me.

An example of this would be that I can find a calculator that will give me the amount of calories I lost doing a minute of crunches. I realize that sit ups aren't really calorie burning exercise, but I'm kind of mapping out all the calories I've lost.

Does anyone know where I can find these formulas that I'm looking for online?

PhoenixEnigma

Re: Formula for calories lost doing INSERT EXERCISE HERE

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:46 am UTC

You can probably get a decent enough approximation with a linear equation - (someValue)*(yourWeight)+(someConstant) = calories/hr burnt. Obviously, you'll have to know those values for every exercise you want to be able to compute, and that's going to be a bit of a pain for a comprehensive library of activities.

I used this list, and working out a couple examples by hand it seems to work quite well perfectly. I suspect you won't be able to find the values of the constants actually listed anywhere, but it shouldn't be too difficult to automate the work (or, hell, do it manually if you've got some time to kill).

I guess you could also look at the source for a javascript calculator if you find one, but copyright issues might be a bit of a problem unless someone has been kind enough to license the code you want under something fairly permissive.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Bishop

Postby Bishop » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:02 am UTC

Thank you :D ! That's an excellent start to what I'm looking for. I did think of sifting through some of the calculator's code, but a lot of them seemed sketchy in the first place so I couldn't be sure as to how accurate or reliable they are. I really like your idea of approximating the formulas though, so I think I will take that direction!

Thanks again!

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 am UTC

MyPlate! It not only tracks the calories you input from food, but also how many you burn for exercise, how much water you drink, recipes, calories in a recipe, how far you've run, and the nutritional information in the food you eat. It has changed how I think about food. It gives you a bar graph of your calorie intake, and a line graph of your BMI/weight. It also has a feature to calculate your body fat percentage, target heart rate, and BMI. The sections on health are also helpful; they have diets, exercise routines, and other helpful information like skincare and first aid safety.

caje

Postby caje » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:00 am UTC

Frankly the odds are anything that calculates your energy expenditure will be wrong and not only that will probably be anti-useful. You should seriously think about NOT not doing it. It can lead to obsession over useless numbers. Even if the calorie count was accurate for the exercises it would still be relatively useless because their are much more important issues for weight loss then how much you lost just during the exercise.

PaulNefets

Postby PaulNefets » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

I can definitely tell you that any calculator (like say bodybuilding.com's) will way underestimate weightlifting and sprinting.

The calories burned during these exercises won't be much due to the durations of effort. However, when you incorporate the continued "after effects" your metabolism stays elevated a bit longer than a simple jog. Therefore, I think it's important to differentiate between "during" or "all resulting metabolic effects".

bosco54

Postby bosco54 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:46 am UTC

If you REALLY wanted a fun project, you could go down to the university physiology/kinesiology department and ask if they need subjects in exchange for making measurements. You would only need a VO2 test for each exercise and it's surprisingly simple to interpret. Or, you could apply some biomechanical measurements (e.g. model your torso as a rectangular prism with constant density, measure the height you're lifting your head/shoulders, and after some calculations, voila: energy expenditure! Of course, that's labor intensive.

Return to “Fit Club”