What should my goal(s) be?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

What should my goal(s) be?

Postby maninblack » Sun May 01, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

I'm 28, 6'0" and right now I weigh 240lbs. When I *woke up* from a long battle with depression roughly two years ago I weighed 315lbs. (Yeah I've lost 75lbs :-D) My initial goal was to get my weight down to 225. I'm thinking I should lose more weight than that, but idk what my goals should be.

I'm an engineer and spend all my working hours sitting. I am married and have four boys. I want to be healthy (very general). I want to live a long life. I also want to enjoy life. I eat pizza, drink some alcohol (2 or 3 drinks 2 or 3 times per week). I was planning on starting to run when my joints can do it comfortably, but what should my fitness goals be?

I don't want to be a power lifter. I enjoy running so that is where I will likely get my cardio from when my joints can carry me. I don't think I'll do a marathon ever. I want to look good naked but I don't want to spend years in the gym..... idk I guess right now the weight loss alone isn't motivating me. I'm wondering what's next.....

Open to suggestions.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

caje

Re: What should my goal(s) be?

Postby caje » Mon May 02, 2011 12:08 am UTC

maninblack wrote:I'm 28, 6'0" and right now I weigh 240lbs. When I *woke up* from a long battle with depression roughly two years ago I weighed 315lbs. (Yeah I've lost 75lbs :-D) My initial goal was to get my weight down to 225. I'm thinking I should lose more weight than that, but idk what my goals should be.

I'm an engineer and spend all my working hours sitting. I am married and have four boys. I want to be healthy (very general). I want to live a long life. I also want to enjoy life. I eat pizza, drink some alcohol (2 or 3 drinks 2 or 3 times per week). I was planning on starting to run when my joints can do it comfortably, but what should my fitness goals be?

I don't want to be a power lifter. I enjoy running so that is where I will likely get my cardio from when my joints can carry me. I don't think I'll do a marathon ever. I want to look good naked but I don't want to spend years in the gym..... idk I guess right now the weight loss alone isn't motivating me. I'm wondering what's next.....

Open to suggestions.

Luckily for you that takes years and years of dedication and hard work so you won't accidentally wake up one day with an 800 pound squat :wink:

I'd suggest you lose more weight and put on some quick muscle via squats, dead lifts, presses, bench presses, pull ups, chin ups. At the beginning you will get way stronger really fast without that much work. Like twice a week for an hour to 1.5 hours each session would be fine. I can get more specific if you'd like.

For running I suggest you look up pose running, it should help with joint problems. I'd also suggest you limit your distances and do faster shorter runs.

What's next should be performance oriented. 400 meter time, mile time, Squat weight, etc.

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon May 02, 2011 2:21 am UTC

maninblack wrote:I enjoy running so that is where I will likely get my cardio from when my joints can carry me.

If you're having joint problems you could swim instead? Or bike?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon May 02, 2011 3:18 am UTC

Well, you're the only person really qualified to know what your goals should be, but I'll echo caje's advice. Strength training is not just for powerlifters.

As for how to choose a goal, I'd suggest trying a bunch of physical activities and see which ones you enjoy. Play some sports. Visit a few martial arts classes. Climb a rock wall, paddle around in a canoe, that sort of thing. Once you know what you want to be able to do, it'll be easier to figure out how to get there.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon May 02, 2011 6:59 am UTC

First of all, I'm very impressed by a 75 pound weightloss, that's a huge difference.

Free weights aren't just for power lifters, it's good for everyone that wants some muscle. It's much better than isolation work on muscle groups.

That said, I don't think I'd recommend you taking it up quite yet - it can be murder on the joints, and as you say, those are the real trouble. I'd recommend taking up swimming, it's excellent cardio, and is less likely to hurt your joints. Taking up bodyweight strength training also seems like a good idea, it will build some muscle, not as much as free weights - but it will be easier on your joints.

This seems like a decent resource for bodyweight exercises http://www.functionalbodyweightexercises.com/All-Bodyweight-Exercises.html

Then in half a year or when ever you reach the point where bodyweight exercises don't do anything for you, you might want to consider taking up weights. By that time, the exercise should also mean that your joints are capable. That's probably also the point where running begins to be possible.

What your goals are is only really up for you to decide. But I'd choose goals based on physical achievements, instead of weight. Being able to run 3 miles in 25 min. by the end of 2011 or things like that.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Tue May 03, 2011 1:48 pm UTC

Thanks. I've thought about swimming and biking. I abhor biking, so that really isn't an option for me. I could see swimming as an option if I had access to a pool, but atm I don't. There is a YMCA in the area, but it's roughly half an hour drive from home, and with my family situation the way it is now I find that I only have time to exercise either after the kids are in bed or in the morning before work. A gym membership might work for me provided that it's open before 0600 and I can get out of bed.

Ulc wrote:Taking up bodyweight strength training also seems like a good idea, it will build some muscle, not as much as free weights - but it will be easier on your joints.

This seems like a decent resource for bodyweight exercises http://www.functionalbodyweightexercises.com/All-Bodyweight-Exercises.html
What your goals are is only really up for you to decide. But I'd choose goals based on physical achievements, instead of weight. Being able to run 3 miles in 25 min. by the end of 2011 or things like that.

That site is indeed a decent resource for bodyweight exercises, and I would like to state for the record that I HATE Burpies. They do, however, work. The body weight exercises are right up my alley I tried four of them last night, and will work them into my workouts.

I timed my walk on my normal walk (2.5 miles in 38 mins) so now I will have a time to beat. Performances goal will help motivate me, and adding variety of exercise will also help me stay with it.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

gaurwraith

Postby gaurwraith » Wed May 04, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

If you have access to a nice swimming pool with sauna and steaming room and all that, im thinking of the old swwimming pool I used to go´, where you could do a bit of gym before, maybe static bycicle, then a good swim then the steaming thing then a shower... well, it was also about enjoying life :D and the feeling afterwards pure natural high!
I am a lvl 89 sword barb

biodomino

Postby biodomino » Mon May 09, 2011 7:02 am UTC

I'm going to give you the same guidance I give to P.E. teachers, particularly in light of you having four boys. Your goals for physical activity should be:
1. Have fun.
2. Be healthy.

Too often people see those things as mutually exclusive and rely on extrinsic motivations like weight loss and health to drive their workouts. They forget that physical activity actually can be fun. That's not to say that you should never go to the gym and hit the machines or freeweights, but the world of physical activity is so much more than that, and even so much more than common recreational activities.

Passing over that for a second, your fitness goals should be primarily weight loss and cardiovascular training. Muscle training isn't unimportant, but in terms of how good you feel, weight loss, and chronic disease prevention, cardiovascular fitness is by far the most important goal to work towards. Make that your primary goal and work on muscular goals just whenever you feel like it. Above all else, be safe and don't push yourself too hard- injury is a setback you can't afford. According to your height, you should aim for a weight of approximately 165 lbs., which may seem like a lot, but it's nothing you haven't done before :wink:

In regards to having fun, you have a luxury in having four boys- you could easily turn your workout time into playing games with them. Not only can that satisfy your fitness goals, but you'll have family time, you'll be promoting your family's fitness, and above all, it will be much more enjoyable. Sure, you can do basic recreational activities like sports, but be creative. You can come up with some really fun games just from using junk you can find at the dollar store, or Walmart. Grab some stuff that looks cool and try to work out something fun. Consider laser tag. Consider Wii or Kinect. Dancing or some other classes. It's summer, so try some water games. You're not limited to the mainstays, and certainly not to the gym. Change it up, too. Just remember to emphasize cardio.

For most people getting fit is more a problem of motivation than technique. Do what makes you want to keep being physically active.

Return to “Fit Club”