sparring

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

natey

sparring

Postby natey » Tue May 24, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

My friends and I have been sparring with staffs, not to lose weight or build muscle mass or anything, (although it's becoming a very aerobic exercise as they get better) but just because it's fun. I'm having a minor problem though, namely I got slow and ended up getting a good hit in the arm and now it hurts sometimes. it feels like a knotted up muscle. Is there a remedy for this that will fix me up faster than time alone? if not it's easy enough to deal with I was just wondering if there were a way to make this more convenient for me.

Edit-

also if anyone can think of tactics that would make my friends and me more effective at fighting with staffs, that would be helpful.

biodomino

Re: sparring

Postby biodomino » Fri May 27, 2011 10:38 am UTC

Sparring with staffs is EXTREMELY dangerous. My advice is that you stop doing it immediately- you may have even already sustained a hairline fracture. The risk for serious or permanent injury isn't really even fair to call risk... it's inevitable.

If you're going to spar with staffs, get those that are made specifically for contact sparring (e.g., rubber or foam). Alternatively you can use foam noodles (like what LARPers use to simulate combat) or faux gladiator weapons which mimic staffs (like the one pictured here http://workdayrant.blogspot.com/2010/07/bring-back-violence.html). These will allow you to simulate the combat and still gain experience and exercise. Save the wooden/carbonite staffs for solo training.

natey

Postby natey » Sat May 28, 2011 2:22 am UTC

when you say foam noodles I can't help but think of those pool toys and laugh a little, I got some specially made for sparring, they look similar to the one pictured (albeit with a lot less padding). It wasn't a hairline fracture, just a muscle soreness. I was wondering how to fix it faster than a couple of days but it was better by the time you posted. these sparring matches have been going on for a long time with no serious injures, other than the muscle soreness from getting hit occasionally (which I'm still wondering if there's a way to fix them faster than waiting).

still wondering about tactics if anyone has anything to help us fight more effectively.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat May 28, 2011 6:07 am UTC

Get some safety gear; kendo stuff for instance. Why waste time recovering from injuries when most of them are quite preventable?

Find some instruction if possible. When it comes to combat sports, it's possible for dick around with friends in a garage for years without getting as good as someone with six months of actual training.

natey

Postby natey » Sat May 28, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

we're in the process of safety gear. good idea on the instruction, I'm searching for some in my area, any ideas for a website or something until I find someone?

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat May 28, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

natey wrote:we're in the process of safety gear. good idea on the instruction, I'm searching for some in my area, any ideas for a website or something until I find someone?

What sort of staffs are you using? (How long are they?) You could look up jojutsu or bojutsu videos, or find some good books on the subject. Just don't let that delay you from finding actual instruction -- books and videos are a supplement, not a substitute.

Also, lacrosse gear might be easier to find in your area than kendo gear, and might also work.

biodomino

Postby biodomino » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

I actually was talking about using foam noodles like the pool toys. I'm getting the sense that you might not understand the potential for injury here, or at least wrapping your staffs in foam. I know that I could cause serious or permanent injury with a staff very easily, and it's only a matter of time before one of you does so.

Adam Preston
WINNING

Postby Adam Preston » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:10 am UTC

Whenever i get hurt from physical exercise or muscle exhaustion, the best thing I do is eat food with a bit of protein to rebuild the muscle structure and just rest, don't eat fatty food, but eat healthy food and drink water. Always helps me, fruit seems relaxing to eat.
He who will not economize will have to agonize - Confucius

Return to “Fit Club”