Operation 3S - (Super Slim Sytri)

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Sytri

Operation 3S - (Super Slim Sytri)

Postby Sytri » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:59 am UTC

OK, so as some of you may know, I've been trying to lose weight for a good while now. And whilst I've succeeded pretty well so far I'm reaching a stagnation point and need a good kick up the rear.

So this is where I'm going to put what I eat and when I exercise. I tend to lie to my better half and myself about what I eat and can talk myself out of exercising faster than you can say, "Fancy a game of Halo instead?"

So, a little about me. I'm 26 in 2 months. Currently weigh 96kg, 15st 2lb or 212lb. I live in Reading, UK. This time last year I was closer to 16st so I know that I've made progress and I can see it in myself and so can others (will post pictures soon).

2/3 years ago I slipped a disk in my back, L5S1 I think, (the one just above your coccyx) and due to various wonders of the NHS i ended up not having it fixed for 12 months. As a result I put on a lot of weight and lost a lot of muscle due to atrophy aswell. So for the last year I've been fighting to get back to reasonable levels of fitness.

Now for what I do:

I cycle 3 miles to and from work twice a week ( the other three times I work in London so have to commute.)
I go bouldering once a week (every Monday).
I go to the gym 3 times a week in (usually Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday)

Current Calorie aim is to eat 1865 calories a day, I looked up a way to calculate it based on height and weight (BMR Method i think its called); I'm 5'10 and want to weigh 14st so am eating a 14st amount of calories.

Snacks are my little demons so any good advice on what is healthy and nice and cheap is appreciated.

Now, I will be updating this weekly with what I've eaten and roughly what i do in the gym; but encouragment and advice are always welcome.

Thanks all!

(Sorry about it being so long and well done for making it to the end, give yourself a pat on the back)
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Ulc

Re: Operation 3S - (Super Slim Sytri)

Postby Ulc » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:28 am UTC

Sytri wrote:Current Calorie aim is to eat 1865 calories a day, I looked up a way to calculate it based on height and weight (BMR Method i think its called); I'm 5'10 and want to weigh 14st so am eating a 14st amount of calories.

That's not how it works.

You're not supposed to base your calorie intake on what you want to weigh, but on what you actually do, and subtract according to what you want to lose. And to be honest, 1865 is probably to0 low. You're around 2350-2400 in basic metabolic rate + normal light activity, with the amount of exercise you do, you're probably closer to 2800. That means you're at a deficit of 900 kcal. per day.

900 kcal/day is a lot, and it's probably more than is entirely healthy. Normally it is recommended to not go above 500 kcal/day. If you're to far in deficit, what is going to happen is that your body go into starvation mode, drops the metabolic rate, breaks down muscle in preference to fat and makes you sleep more. So I suggest that you up that to 2200 at the least, then as you lose weight, slowly lower that number at the same rate.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:39 am UTC

And thats why I posted on this site! :D Thanks! Will up my intake to 2200 then and slowly work down to ~1865 as the weight drops off.

Thanks again!

edit: Won't aim directly for 1865 but just to slowly lower it till i find a good point where I weigh want I want and have enough energy to go about my day.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 am UTC

Not really sure if you're allowed to double post if it's in your own thread but if it isn't; someone say.

So this week has had it's good and bad points. My eating has been erratic and quite bad at certain points.

Number to aim for: 2200
Thursday: 2368
Friday: 2798
Saturday: 2379.5
Sunday: 2127
Monday: 1955
Tuesday: 2857
Wednesday: 1963

Now; most of the overeating, I think, was because I was so tired. I need to get up at 5.30 to travel to work and I just havent been getting enough sleep. I've since fixed that and I'm getting 8 hours again.

Exercise-wise I went bouldering on Monday, finally managed to finish more routes than not; but they were all intro so not a massive pat on the back, more a gentle tap. I've not cycled as it's developed some funky noises and the rear tyre needs changing, all of which I can't do at the moment so I've been walking lots.

I went to the gym on Saturday and got one of the instructors to set out a new routine for me; it's all body upper body strength and core stuff but lots of dynamic movements that should help me lose the weight. My plan is to do Core strength one day, cardio the next and then upper body strength on the final day. this way I get rests between muscle groups and I don't wear myself out for bouldering.

Feels good writing this down, just wish I ate a bit better so that my numbers looked good. Have a wedding on Friday so am trying to be careful on the run up to it as no doubt it'll be packed with drink and food.

Thanks for reading :)

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:22 am UTC

There is nothing wrong with those numbers. They equate to an average daily ammount of 2350 which is only 150 calories short of your goal(a number which is still quite low for a male) and honestly 150 calories either way means nothing. You are making sure that 1/3rd of your calories comes from fat and at least 1/3 is from protein yes?

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 am UTC

I honestly never thought to check. I watch the amount of protein I eat and make sure there's not a lot of fat, will have to start looking into it more. With that in mind:

What are foods are good for losing fat but maintaining and repairing muscle?

How do other people track their intakes? I'm trying to put it all in a spreadsheet to give me decent numbers, but it seems I dont know what to track. I just had calories being watched originally; but should I be putting in food weights and the amount of protein and fats in them? And if I include fats, do I break it down into saturates and all the other fun friends he has? (complete blank as to the other types' names)

With foods from places like the butchers, where there is no information, how would you estimate your numbers?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

With foods from places like the butchers, where there is no information, how would you estimate your numbers?

http://caloriecount.about.com

Does the trick for me. They have most meats with most cuts. That plus a kitchen scale (<$20) will certainly give you a reliable estimate (it's always going to be a bit fuzzy thanks to fat variance)

How do other people track their intakes?

I mostly just stick to calories. Once you've done the math enough on the macronutrients it all becomes mental; protein heavy, from what I've read, is more ideal as a) when you're losing weight, your body will burn both fat and muscle, b) Protein (+exercise) will help retain said muscle and make the ratio of loss more fat, and c) Protein has a longer rate of satiation so you're less likely to feel hungry. I haven't been overly concerned with fat vs carb, but I do have a rough balance between em. Aim for at least 100g protein a day -- which really isn't that protein heavy in the absolute sense, but most diets still don't quite reach it.

Snacks are my little demons so any good advice on what is healthy and nice and cheap is appreciated.

Small protein shake? 4 oz 2% milk + half scoop of whey protein = ~150 calories, at about 50% pro / 25% fat / 25% carb
Handful of nuts -- Peanuts/Almonds
2% Cottage cheese (1/2 cup) + 1/2 cup pineapple
Veggies + cottage cheese ranch dressing. You know those Ranch packets, where they ask you to combine Mayo and milk with the seasonings to make the dressing? Screw that noise. Cottage cheese + blender does the job remarkably well. I use an old, small butter dish to hold it.
anything in a small portion - takes some preplanning, but I have about 5 pounds of halved, cooked chicken breasts (baked en masse) all individually frozen just waiting to be reheated and eaten. Hell, even chocolate chip cookies are ok, provided you only eat, like... 1 if homemade/bakery or 2 if chips-ahoy-ish.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

And another week down: Gym was hit and miss as I've been running around the country going to weddings and bbqs galore. My eating was quite good as the bbqs I had were chicken based or if not, largely lean meat. So high protein, low fat, good amount of calories.

I'm off to the gym later today and I can already feel the benefit of my slightly healthier eating and longer sleeping.

Calories for the week:
1709 - Thurs
2800 - Fri - Rich wedding food and red wine; at least I'll have a healthy heart when it all clogs up :D
1601 - Sat - Long trip back from a wedding and just didnt eat as the trains didnt have food :(
2242 - Sun
1711 - Mon
2098 - Tues
1722 - Wed
2099 - Thurs

Average is 1997 a day. I'm trying to keep a good intake and I may be missing some foods out or just not calculating them right but hopefully I'll be ok.

Sadly I missed out on climbing as my bike needs to be repaired, which I dont have time to do and my friend who was going to take me climbing couldn't take me. Luckily, I've found a bus route to get me there next week :)

Think I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow morning to see if I've lost anything. Should also take measurements but I keep forgetting.

Return to “Fit Club”