Kess Attempts to "Get Active"

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

KestrelLowing

Kess Attempts to "Get Active"

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

Sooo, here's another random thread about someone trying to hold themselves accountable. We'll see how this goes.

I'm painfully sedentary right now. I hardly ever do anything physical. I drive everywhere because it's too far and too dangerous to walk anywhere in this city and my bike got stolen. I drive for a half hour to work, sit in front of a computer for 8 hours and then drive back home and plop. I usually watch online lectures for my class and do homework, play around on the internet for a while, and then go to bed and do it all over again.

The only remotely active thing I do is rock climbing in a gym two days a week. That's really a workout! But, most of my time there is spent resting because I'm so out of shape otherwise.

In August, I will be forced to be more active. I'll be back at college and walking or biking (once I buy a new one) pretty much everywhere. I'll also be in a Pilates class (gym's required for graduation) and continue rock climbing at least twice a week, hopefully more. In addition to that, I'd like to start swimming twice a week with my boyfriend as well.

I need to get ready for this sudden jump in physical activity, but I don't have access to a normal gym or pool.

Here's the plan:
  • Continue rock climbing twice a week
  • Drive to the much safer parks and have a good hike every day
  • Stop playing so much on the computer after work!

Hopefully I can manage this as there are very few requirements!

KestrelLowing

Re: Kess Attempts to "Get Active"

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

Well, so far I've managed just one of the point - I've continued to rock climb, but that's about it.

Sadly, I don't know if I'll be able to walk today as it thunder-stormed pretty decently this morning and looks like it won't dry out by the time I'm off work. All the parks are pretty much swamps, so that's kind of important.

Oh well, I'll keep trying.

gaurwraith

Postby gaurwraith » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

I'm going to try rock climbing, i.e. bouldering, by the start of the new academic year in september... the few times I did it it felt like I had strongly activated every muscle in my body... if you like it I guess you could go for a bit more... anyway, keep it going!
I am a lvl 89 sword barb

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

gaurwraith wrote:I'm going to try rock climbing, i.e. bouldering, by the start of the new academic year in september... the few times I did it it felt like I had strongly activated every muscle in my body... if you like it I guess you could go for a bit more... anyway, keep it going!

Yay!! You should definitely try! I'm still not quite able to do bouldering yet (the grades are too difficult for me - I'm really bad so don't be discouraged) but climbing is tons of fun. I'd probably be there every other day if the gym wasn't an hour drive away.

And Thanks!

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:40 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Here's the plan:
  • Continue rock climbing twice a week
  • Drive to the much safer parks and have a good hike every day
  • Stop playing so much on the computer after work!

Set a goal for yourself. Like walk a round in one of those parks and try and shave of 10% of the walking time by training. (don't start cheating by running) I know that having a goal will make it easyer for (most people) to actually go out and do stuff.

btw: Fresh air never killed someone (I hope) :)
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

Return to “Fit Club”