How effective is my treadmill desk?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

circumlocuted

How effective is my treadmill desk?

Postby circumlocuted » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:13 am UTC

A few months ago, I built a treadmill desk.
It's the biggest new thing.

I usually walk at about 2.5-3mph, but on a very steep grade, and burn ~1200 calories for a three hour "work" session.
I also try to work brisk runs in at about 6mph, while I'm watching a video, where I don't need to type anything.

How effective is this?
It feels pretty good.

Evengeduld

Re: How effective is my treadmill desk?

Postby Evengeduld » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:30 am UTC

I don't get it you build a desk on your treadmill? and do you have a picture? because in my mind it looks awesome :)

Besides that if you keep up the 3 hours sessions the effects will show faster then you think.
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

circumlocuted

Postby circumlocuted » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

Evengeduld wrote:I don't get it you build a desk on your treadmill? and do you have a picture? because in my mind it looks awesome :)

Besides that if you keep up the 3 hours sessions the effects will show faster then you think.

Treadmill desks are quite common now, there have been stories about them in the nytimes, and recently one on boingboing.net

I just threw together some slabs of wood at my local hackerspace, and it fits nicely over my treadmill.

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

I had this idea when I was thinking back at the sheer ammount of time wasted playing WoW back when it first came out X years ago. Looking back if I reallly reallly wish I'd down something similar and spent all my WoW time on the treadmill walking on an incline. I suppose I could still do it now while I use my computer for other things but considering the sheer ammount of time I used to spend mindlessly grinding and raiding that I now consider wasted I really wish It had been on the tread mill.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:12 am UTC

How difficult is it to type and such when you're on the treadmill?

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

I mean...how do you sort your feet? I would just...hurt myself...

Return to “Fit Club”