MY WEIGHT!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

HerNerdiness

MY WEIGHT!

Postby HerNerdiness » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

And a very serious/heavy subject it is indeed...

I definitely weigh too much and I would like to have an email-friend to sort it out. If more people want to join, we could also all post our stuff in this thread everyday.

Someone who also wants to shape up and would like to share everyday-data like weight, training, food eaten.

The required data (Yes, I actually read the forum rules! :wink: ) : I am 28 years old and study sports, I play handball in the fifth German League (just having left the fourth =/ ) and I like freewater swimming and wheel gymnastics and some other stuff, but this does not really prevent me from liking chocolate and ice-cream as well. Currently I weigh 89 kg while being only 174 cm tall. My muscle mass is about 40%, which is good as far as I know, my body fat is about 30% which is said to be on the verge of being overweight as far as I know. Considering muscle mass, body fat and data from other female handball players etc. pp. I should lose at least 5% of body fat and since you never get rid of fat alone, I think I should aim to weigh about 80 kg.

So, who wants to join the thread or start mailing? I really need some help since I will finish my studies in early 2013 and I will want to apply for a job by then and I want to look fit and cool when I do so.
:wink:

Evengeduld

Re: MY WEIGHT!

Postby Evengeduld » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:14 pm UTC

If you want someone to post data about weight and training I'm happy to join in this thread. But however I have another problem then you. I need to GAIN weight preferably muscles :)

Right now I'm 185-187cm tall and I only weigh 71kg which is not to much for my height. (yes healthy BMI...) The goal for me is to gain 4-5kg muscle weight over the next year which should be possible if I start paying attention to what I'm actually doing :)

An alternative is joining Fitocracy there you can log your trainings and make a game about it which is really fun and very social. And there you can find alot off people who log all kinds of stuff.
Send me a PM with your e-mail adres and I'll send you an invite key for it so you can check it out. :)
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

First off, massive props for having some sort of forward thought. Getting to what you want is certainly possible by (May?) 2013, and by doing this sort of thing now you won't be stupid and reckless like, say... a to-be-married person who wants to lose twenty pounds for the wedding and despite knowing the date for well over a year does nothing about it until one month prior and such. But I digress.

I started doing similar back in Dec/Jan. Back then I was a 5'11" male with ~210 lbs on him (that'd be... 180 cm tall, 95 kg) -- in terms of BMI that landed me right at the cusp of being obese. I'm now 167 pounds (76kg) and have dropped a size or two for both shirts and pants (XL to L with the rare medium, size 36 pants down to 32), BMI now on the cusp of being overweight.

Biggest thing to focus on is diet. If you consume 2000 calories a day but only burn 1800, you'll gain weight. So, your options are to exercise those 200+ calories away, or simply not consume that much in the first place. At the same time, it's still generally better to meet your body halfway and actually exercise instead of be 100% sedentary and eat very little, both in terms of overall metabolism and fat loss versus fat+muscle loss.

As per:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator

my BMR is ~1825, and by being lightly active through my weight lifting and cardio I burn upwards of 2500 calories a day on average. Thus to put myself on a deficit I try to make my daily intake about 1800 calories, complete with a higher-than-previous protein intake which'll help with both the satiation and preserving muscle mass to make the fat burned more. With my current routine I rarely feel full/stuffed, but then again I also rarely feel hungry.

Diet:
Spoiler:
Breakfast 1: (I'm hardly hungry in the mornings)
Coffee with cream and sugar: 80 cal
Hardboiled egg: 80 cal
1 oz cheese (mozzerella string cheese!): 80 cal

Lunch:
See my posts in the "healthier work lunches", but they usually clock in at about 600-650 calories and are about 50/50 meats and whole grains, sometimes with a side of beans or fruit

Dinner1 (after work):
1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese - 90 cal (I've heard about this thing called "Quark" which is supposedly superior but unavailable here in the states
1 serving fruit - 100 cal (I normally have a pineapple presliced and good to go, else something like a peach or banana or something to mix in with the cottage cheese)
1 hardboiled egg - 80 cal

Dinner2 (after workout, late evening)
1 cup 2% milk - 150 cal
1 scoop whey protein (or one can o' tuna) - 130 / 100 cal
1 serving fruit (or 1 tbsp mayo for can o' tuna) - 100 / 90 cal
(some crackers for the can o' tuna + mayo) - 60 cal

Snacks:
More eggs/cheese - 80 cal
almonds - 100 cal worth
granola bar - 100 cal per bar
cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots - presliced in tupperware in the fridge

Pending daily variety and hunger/snacks usually works out to 1800 calories a day, complete with ~120g protein. The biggest differences to how I used to eat include doing a LOT of cooking on sunday and then munching on all stuff throughout the week (including lunchs, no more cafeteria for me), and then basic portion control. In your case, ice cream is perfectly valid snack provided you're able to portion out ~100 calories worth and only 100 cal worth. Personally I can't always do that so I just leave it on the grocery store shelf. But the whey is chocolate and awesome, at least.

There are a lot of websites/apps which let you track intake -- fitday is good for tracking, but they lacked a lot of products so I eventually settled with caloriecount.about.com and your basic computer spreadsheet. I'm not one for daily input, especially on things I'm well aware of their content, but it's good at the start to know how much your total is and where the interchangeable parts are. It's the same problem I have with fitocracy; I already have my routine established so recording that I did the exact same thing again 3 days later is just... unnecessary input.

Either way, it'll take a bit of trial and error at first to find a food schedule that works with the rest of you, and a lot of number crunching upfront regarding calories, but once you've cleared that hump it becomes second nature.

Regarding exercise, I've been less than stellar on that front, pending mood and fotm research, but I usually go to the gym 1 to 6 times a week, with an even split of cardio (both HIIT for a 15-20 minute session and steady state for 25-40 minutes) and weight training.

For weights:
Spoiler:
I was doing a compound-heavy fullbody routine 2-3x a week (squats, bench press, overhead press, pull ups, tricep dips -- no deadlifts because of low equipment options, subbing in hamstring isolation for lack of better, usually 3 sets of 8 reps each). Recently I've expanded that to a skeleton push/pull routine, because by the end of the fullbody routine I'd be so worn out I couldn't do the last sets well, especially with my triceps. So now it's ABx, with A being: squats, OHP, bench, calf raises, and tricep dips, with B being pullups, situps, cable pulldowns, lateral raises, bicep curls. Again, 3x8 with about 1 min rest inbetween sets.

Each week add on more weight and see if you can do it. If you can, great, keep it up. If not, whatever, try again next week. That's a few degrees different that the standard bodybuilding mentality, but being at a caloric deficit your gain aren't going to be the same, and if you're anything like me "deloading" isn't much of an option.

And... that's pretty much been it. Lost 1 pound (~0.5kg) a week like clockwork well into September. Since september I've slowed to about 0.5 lb a week, but I've also put on a little muscle in the process so I've been going more by tape measure measurements more than my weight for progress checking. Belly's still shrinking. Whoop.

Current plan is to keep this up until the end of the year, and then ramp up my caloric intake by like 1000 and get some of dat muscle.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

Oh my god, such long posts.

; )

Thank you!

I think, I dont want fitocracy or writing it down for myself. I just don``t want to be..alone with it somehow. If you`d be with me here, that would be great.

Cannot write anything down about food today, it was my aunt`s birthday and terrible things have been happening!

I had 15 min. of Stretching and 30 min. of riding out in the woods. And i forgot to check my weight this morning, but hopefully will do tomorrow.

With the calories, I think I burn a lot cause of sports, perhaps about 3000. Calculated it in some Seminar. Unfortunately, there is no problem for me in eating 3500 everyday. At least I estimate that, I have never really been counting.
I also thought of counting gramms of fat per day, I had once been losing weight with that, but only in combination with writing it down for a friend in the icq. But she quit losing weight and now I am alone.

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

counting fat is less than ideal. It takes an equal amount of effort to instead count calories, and by counting fat you're completely neglecting carbs which are arguably more to blame in making people fat than dietary fat.

Personally I shoot for 1800 calories a day, +100g protein a day, and then a near-even split between fats and carbs in terms of calories for the rest.

Cannot write anything down about food today, it was my aunt`s birthday and terrible things have been happening!

No. When you start you start. Log everything. :) Occasional splurges are fine. In fact a lot of people endorse a "cheat meal" if it'll help maintain the rigor elsewhere -- once a week, you're free to eat whatever you want for a single meal. 300 extra calories a week will take about 25 weeks to actually become another kg of fat (rather, you'll retain another kg, economically), and if that'll help with the rest of the lifestyle (NOT DIET.) as opposed to randomly gorging yourself to sate the sweet tooth it's a net gain.

Besides, counting cuts both ways. Sometime you'll balk and go "holy crap, that Dairy Queen Blizzard was HOW MUCH?!?", but other times you'll be like "oh noes, I need to eat 300 calories today. Whatever could I possibly eat!? *wide eyed*"

If you're burning 3000 cals a day on average (maybe 2750, unless you're active every single day), then that gives you a lot more flex and freedom regarding diet.

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

It went ok with couting fat and I`d rather try that first before doing something new. But if it does not work again, I think i will start on the kcal.

I need more carbohydrates than fat, definitely. But you remind me of finding out the actual amounts of everything I need. I wonder where THAT paper has got to...
; )

Logging today would just be...demotivating. So, will you join me tomorrow? Then we can just start together.
And what about Evengeduld?

Oh yes, I know that state with not having eaten enough or already being over it. Will surely happen. =/

Yes, but I still overdo that flex. My average is 3000 actually. Still, I eat more sweets than i can burn with 15 hours of training and I think, this is the problem. If there are still other problems, I hope, we will find them here...

I forgot one thing...shopping is not easy for me as I do not have my own money. I live with my parents atm. This is surely something which makes it more difficult.

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

Got it now: 50-55 % carb, 15-20 % prot, 25-30 % fat. Might vary though depending on the sports I do.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

philsov wrote:I was doing a compound-heavy fullbody routine 2-3x a week (squats, bench press, overhead press, pull ups, tricep dips -- no deadlifts because of low equipment options, subbing in hamstring isolation for lack of better, usually 3 sets of 8 reps each).

How do you have equipment for squats but not deadlifts? Lack of floor space? If you squat in a power cage, you can deadlift in there too; just take out the pins.

philsov

Postby philsov » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:01 am UTC

So, will you join me tomorrow? Then we can just start together.

Whatever works for you. I'm just here to help out :) I can log myself from now through friday tonight in both foods and exercises.

shopping is not easy for me as I do not have my own money. I live with my parents atm. This is surely something which makes it more difficult.

Only slightly, provided you're willing to cook. For more than yourself moreso. But in general because you're eating less than before you're also spending less, which in turn lets you buy healthier alternatives for a net breakeven or even gain. My average grocery bill is a lot less than before I started all this, anyways.

How do you have equipment for squats but not deadlifts?

I don't even have equipment for real squats. Currently I utilize the gym at my apartment complex, which features dumbbells up to 50 lbs, a 150 lb cable machine, a bench, and an incline situp machine. I'm moving into a house in a month and already have a real gym lined up, but in the meantime I'm squatting with two mighty 40 lbers clasp in my hands and resting on my shoulders. 50's are theoretically possible, but holding the weight as such doesn't work for more than set (I can't OHP with 2x 50 just yet), and I'm slightly jerking the weight up there as is. 80 pound squats are better than no squats? And I'm too paranoid about my form with straight leg/back lifts with dumbbells. Oh well; next month.

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

Ok..

Today.

90,5 kg. Was to be expected, my aunts birthday...

1.5 hours of wheel gymnastics and 2.5 hours of handball about to come. 15 min. flexibility already done.

Food:
1 apple, 1 peer

But someone just lent me money. Think I will go for a bun with cheese and vegetables and some milk.

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

Ok, day`s over and I had:

apple, peer

2 Buns with cheese and vegetables..perhaps 10 g fat

Milk, cake 45 g fat (could not get low fat milk =/ )

potatoes, vegetables, chocolate 5 g

I have to stay between 40 and 80 g fat per day. Went ok. But should watch out with the milk. Not sure about the cake.

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

yesterday:

diet to the above. Lunch was chicken fricassee, so two chicken thighs (skinless) 300 cals, 200 cals worth of brown rice, and 100 calories worth of the delicious fricassee gravy/broth/whatever. Finally tally was about 1700 calories.

Managed to do 4 pullups in a single set. 6 weeks ago I wasn't able to do 2! Whoop. Also finally graduated to the 50 lb dumbbell rows up from the 40's and averaged out at 3x7 on those. Otherwise it was 3x8 150lb cable lat pulldowns, 3x8 140 lb hamstring isolations, incline situps with a 20 lb weight behind my head, and lateral raises with a 15 lb weights (was at like 10 pounds 6 weeks ago).

No clue on the weight, I usually do that on a weekend morning. There's too much day-to-day flux to bother with it for me.

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

Sounds great with the pullups.
=)

Today...
15 min. flexibility, 90 min. gym-wheel

90.9 kg. I will just try not to panic...

Food:
muesli with youghurt, cocoa 10 g
vegetable-soup, bread with butter 15 g
potatoes, bread with tomatoes and cheese, cocoa 25 g

I am still hungry. I hope, nothing bad will happen.

You can read everywhere that it is not good to go onto the scales everyday, but..I need the pressure. Makes me not forget what I want. ; )

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

meh. water weights 8 pounds a gallon. (that'd be... 1 kg a liter?). That plus food plus poop means too much noise to signal for me for daily scaling.

savanik

Postby savanik » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

philsov wrote:meh. water weights 8 pounds a gallon. (that'd be... 1 kg a liter?). That plus food plus poop means too much noise to signal for me for daily scaling.

I find that a 5-day simple moving average cancels out most all the noise quite handily and gives you a good baseline to work with.

If you like, I have a Google spreadsheet all set up for counting calories, calculating things, graphing weight tracks and all I can quite willingly share.
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

Hum...thanks, but right now I will try without the sheet.

I need the scales everyday. Just not to forget...
*G*

Today:

90.8 kg

Bun with honey and butter, cocoa 10 g fat
Noodles with tomatoes and cheese, chocolate 25 g fat
Cake 5 g (one of my pupils made it for me...)
pear, apple, strawberries (yes, the last five or so out of the garden..at this time! *G*)
2 potatoes, vanilla pudding 10 g fat

15 min. flexibility, 3 h handball, 2 h building a fence for the ponies, does that cout?
; )

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:02 am UTC

HerNerdiness wrote:I need the scales everyday. Just not to forget...

No you don't!!

You'll turn your weight into an obsession and make losing weight a whole lot harder...
You should weigh yourself 1 times every 2 day MAX.
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

I need to be obsessed, otherwise I will be obsessed with eating sweets.
Usually I am only good at things when I hyperfocus. I do not know if this is an ADHD-thing, but I think it might help here.

Also..well...mostly I do not have a big problem with weighing myself, but if I didn`t do it for some time, I`d wonder what happened while I didn`t. So better do it often and see it is nothing big.

So, 90.1 today.

Training was finally 45 min. swimming and 15 min. flex.

Food:

Bread, cocoa etc. 15 g
chocolate, cocoa, tofu-sausage, bread/cheese/tomato 30 g
bun with cheese, 2 potatoes 10 g
2 more tofu-sausages 20 g

Only eating what I find in the house or garden is hard. I wish I had some money.
=/
Perhaps next month.

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

Ok, 89.8 today.
=)

Looks a lot nicer than 90.x.
*G*

15 min. flex, 30 min. riding

bun, egg, butter, honey, cocoa 25 g
muesli, milk, icecream 10 g

We will play p&p tonight. I hope, noone brings any sweets. I only packed some chocolate I do not like myself and I did a cake with lowfat-milk, less sugar and less butter than it usually has. And I made it smaller than I usually do, I will let the others eat first.
During the week it is a lot easier somehow...

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

I don't know whether it's your personality or just the way you write but i find your posts delightful :3

philsov

Postby philsov » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:39 am UTC

167 lbs again.

But my gut lost another inch/half inch in its diameter. Diets been mostly the same;grabbed some honey roasted peanuts at the gas station so I'll be munching on those for... the next week or so. Was social today and todays final tally is closer to 2k calories. Feeling like a run tomorrow morning!

HerNerdiness

Postby HerNerdiness » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:54 am UTC

shocklocks: Perhaps it is just my bad english. *G*

philsov: Less diameter sounds great. =)

..the cake did what it had to do and I went up to 89.9 again. But it is the weekend and it`s ok.

Just done 15 min. flex, no shoulderproblems whatsoever today. =) Handball-match at 5 p.m., dunno if I will play yet again since I am new in the team and already got to play last week, but I am looking forward to warmup, is always good for my technique.

Food nothing yet.

philsov

Postby philsov » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

weighed myself this morning -- 165 and some change. Woo.

Still maintaining 1700-1800 caloric intake. Lunch is a turkey drumstick with skin removed, with a very small side of black bean + corn salad. Thurs/Friday I'm halving the drumstick (only bought 4) and then having a larger portion of said salad.

No PRs this week.

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

161 now. Haven't been the gym in two weeks and ate way too much fast food while moving around boxes. Weird, but welcome.

But! Now that I have moved and graduated myself out of the apartment gym and into a location that has barbells(!) I wanna take things to the next level. Veering offtopic here, but:

Starting Strength seems to be rather popular nowadays. But what're its advantages over 2-day push/pull?

(tl:dr is that SS is xAxBxAx + xBxAxBx, with 3 exercises each day; squats e'erday and everything else is compound that alternates. push/pull is xABxABx with 5 exercises per day, typically 3x compound and 2x isolation)

From the looks of it, push/pull has more exercises (5 versus 3), more active time in the gym (4 over 3), and higher frequency (2x a week instead of 1.5x per week). Is there any reason to do SS? Time constraint? Some sort of less is more concept that makes it beginner friendly?

Adam Preston
WINNING

Postby Adam Preston » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

Not to sound insulting or anything, but 81kg at 174cm is somewhat very bad isn't it? I mean I'm male, about 75kg and are 5'9, which is as you know taller than 174cm. I thought I was quite cut, haven't checked my muscle mass but my body fat is around 10%. This may sound all good but I am 16 so of course my metabolism is going to be incredibly fast. More on the topic at hand, the easiest way I seem to lose weight, and this is genuine is simply don't eat after 8pm, when I'm going to sleep starving that's a bonus, my body actually consumes some of it's body fat in order to survive.
He who will not economize will have to agonize - Confucius

gaurwraith

Postby gaurwraith » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:18 am UTC

Very bad? no way.
I am a lvl 89 sword barb

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:38 am UTC

philsov wrote:161 now. Haven't been the gym in two weeks and ate way too much fast food while moving around boxes. Weird, but welcome.

But! Now that I have moved and graduated myself out of the apartment gym and into a location that has barbells(!) I wanna take things to the next level. Veering offtopic here, but:

Starting Strength seems to be rather popular nowadays. But what're its advantages over 2-day push/pull?

(tl:dr is that SS is xAxBxAx + xBxAxBx, with 3 exercises each day; squats e'erday and everything else is compound that alternates. push/pull is xABxABx with 5 exercises per day, typically 3x compound and 2x isolation)

From the looks of it, push/pull has more exercises (5 versus 3), more active time in the gym (4 over 3), and higher frequency (2x a week instead of 1.5x per week). Is there any reason to do SS? Time constraint? Some sort of less is more concept that makes it beginner friendly?

Four workouts a week aren't inherently better or worse than three. Your body's recovery ability is limited, so you can only do so much in a week; there are many ways to distribute it between days.

The 2-day push/pull is a program template. It doesn't recommend specific exercises, intensity levels or set and rep schemes. You'd have to do this yourself based on your experience and programming knowledge; this is what makes it unsuitable for beginners. This particular template appears to have a body-building focus.

Starting Strength is a specific program for beginners. Its tells you what exercises to do, what weight to use, and what rep scheme. These recommendations work quite well for most people, but being a one-size-fits-all program, it won't be tailored to the individual (apart from the optional accessory work). The exercises and program are explained and justified quite well in the book, though the wiki can give you the gist of it. (Note that the authors of the book are not affiliated with the wiki, and some recommendations differ.)

So if you haven't done much lifting and you want a good off-the-shelf barbell program, I recommend Starting Strength. If you have some experience and want to design your own program from a template, the 2-day program might be appropriate, depending on your goals.

lesley_h

Postby lesley_h » Tue May 29, 2012 6:26 am UTC

:cry: I want to join in . i am over weight .............................. :cry:

madd0ct0r

Postby madd0ct0r » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 am UTC

then post!

kudos to all you guys and I'll also say this - sport is one of those things where for a LONG time it dosen't seem to be making any difference. Then suddenly you'll find everything gets easier.

When i started kung fu i felt dead for the first month, but everyone said i was standing taller and looking better*. 3 months on I still feel dead sometimes, but I feel taller and stronger and faster, and It's been well worth it.

If you're competitive, place a bet with a friend whether you'll still be doing it in 3 months. Spite is a powerful motivator.

*Well, to quote father in law - "He looks less like a dead chicken now."

Return to “Fit Club”