ACT Writing Test

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Mark_Cangila

ACT Writing Test

Postby Mark_Cangila » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:37 pm UTC

I just got my ACT and I did well on the composite (35). However, I did awfully on the writing test (5/12). I think it's because of my handwriting. Do you guys think I can go into a good college thru my writing test being carried by a composite (note: I am a freshman). Also, what can I do to improve my handwriting day of? I can't write neatly in 40 minutes normally.

freezeblade

Re: ACT Writing Test

Postby freezeblade » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 pm UTC

No thoughts on the "can I get into a good college" point, but for improving handwriting the key is to just practice. My major (Architecture) has a tendency to force all-caps block lettering into our skulls, via endless pages of mindless letter forming sheets. As much as everyone bitches about writing up 3 pages of the letter "A" It certainly seems to work, as everyone ends up with lettering that is pretty close to to the following forms
Spoiler:

Nobody likes doing lettering practice, but perhaps find a personal style that you like and can be done quickly. If your hand is getting tired, it's possible you're holding your pen too hard, or using an "incorrect" grip
Spoiler:

The "correct" grip is the dynamic tripod. Personally I can never get used to it, and am a "dynamic quadrupod" gripper. I do tire after a bit of writing though.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 pm UTC

My goodness.
Those last two grips look quite uncomfortable and just shy of making a fist and carving your letters.

I seem to have a hybrid grip, where I'm only using three fingers like the dynamic tri, but using my middle finger like the quad. Losing my index finger might not affect my writing at all as it floats.

As far as college goes, I expect your major would have a notable impact on how important writing is.
I was Math-Computer Science/Physics, and mostly typed on a laptop for notes. Actual paper I'd do straight printing rather than writing; slower but easily legible and nobody cared that I could tell.
You'll need to make sure you can at least maintain a decent duty cycle of writing/thinking over a 3 hour exam, but surely most day to day things can be done on a keyboard these days?

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:05 pm UTC

Wow, i can write ln 'lateral tripod' for a loooong time comfy. sometimes 'dynamic quad". I know that everyone says the 'dynamic tri' is 'correct' but it was never comfy, it makes my wrist hurt in under 5 min. I will say my grip depends on what 'font' i am writing in. Neat printing is lateral tripod, cursive is more dynamic quad, big sweeping lines I do use dynamic tri like for fancy lettering work.

Do they allow computers to type on for the test? I took act before that was added, but for GRE we took it on computers.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Return to “School”