Whee, 12th Grade!

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish

Whee, 12th Grade!

Postby Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:06 am UTC

Today's my second day of my last year of grade school!
My schedule is as follows:

P1: AP Chem
P2: Hon Econ/Gov
P3: AP Calc AB
P4: Graphic Arts 2
P5: AP Psych
P6: AP Lit
P7: Digital Media 4

I would have been in BC this year if it weren't for that pesky PreCalc teacher that made my life miserable! But I'm finally in the class that I've looked most forwards to all throughout high school! AP Chem might be tough, because I never took Honors Chem (I took Hon and AP Physics, Hon Bio in 9th), so I might be coming to this forum to ask questions (by far, this has been the most helpful forum I've ever been on). AP Lit is also going to be a bitch, because I suck at and hate reading fiction. But AP Psych should be a "gimme" AP class. AP Calc... well, one gander at my username and y'all know that I'm *really* gonna enjoy that class, haha! Digital Media 4... we more or less do nothing in that class :P It's effectively a free period for me, because as long as I'm doing something Adobe-related, the teacher doesn't seem to care. Graphic Arts 2 is a very fun art class, and my nickname there is "Crazy Woman," ahaha! Honors Econ should be quite interesting, but IDK about Hon Gov (I saw the teacher, and second semester seems like it'll be tough for me) because I hate anything to do with politics (I'm a person of logic, and what's more illogical--except for maybe religion--than politics, haha).

But yeh, I think that I should do well this year. I mean, the AP exams, first day Chem and Psych, and the next day is Calc, and the next Lit, but... at least I'll get them done and over with. x'D Holy crap, so close to graduation x'D
I'm sexually attracted to the International Space Station. You have now had your daily dose of Internet.

Jorpho

Re: Whee, 12th Grade!

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:36 am UTC

Ah, the last year of high school. I sometimes feel a twinge of regret that I didn't take something slightly more useful and/or challenging like accounting or criminal law instead of the questionably useful computing courses that were on offer, but if I did that I probably would have regretted letting my grades take a slight dent.

In my experience it was linear algebra (and the anguish of matrix arithmetic) that was the great leveller more than calculus and pre-calc. You might want to watch out for that one.

Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish

Postby Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Ah, the last year of high school. I sometimes feel a twinge of regret that I didn't take something slightly more useful and/or challenging like accounting or criminal law instead of the questionably useful computing courses that were on offer, but if I did that I probably would have regretted letting my grades take a slight dent.

In my experience it was linear algebra (and the anguish of matrix arithmetic) that was the great leveller more than calculus and pre-calc. You might want to watch out for that one.

I'm going to go into pure mathematics xD (and cosmology :V ehehehe)
I think the hardest part in calculus will be trying to suppress my... feelings for the subject openly x'D But seriously. I should have no problem with the class. Chem? o.O errr... there's a difference between a class that's going to be difficult and one that's going to be hard. Chem is gonna be hard, since I didn't take hon Chem, and I need to put in a ton of effort to do well in that class--nevertheless possible. Lit? That class is gonna be difficult. Critical reading and anything to do with it has always been my weak spot. I mean, I'm still above average with it, but nowhere near the standard deviation level I'd be in math and science. That class... I'll struggle with... because even if I put in all of my effort into that class, it'll still be very difficult, because my brain is hardwired for math, not reading comprehension >.<
I'm sexually attracted to the International Space Station. You have now had your daily dose of Internet.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:59 am UTC

Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish wrote:because my brain is hardwired for math, not reading comprehension >.<
I would advise against limiting yourself in that way. It's all fine to say that you're bored with a subject, or that you don't like the way it is taught, or that you're inexperienced with it, or things of that nature – but please don't say that something in your biology is diametrically opposed to it.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:39 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish wrote:because my brain is hardwired for math, not reading comprehension >.<
I would advise against limiting yourself in that way. It's all fine to say that you're bored with a subject, or that you don't like the way it is taught, or that you're inexperienced with it, or things of that nature – but please don't say that something in your biology is diametrically opposed to it.

At the same time, it is possible for people to simply be better at some subjects or learning tasks than others. I'm terrible at new languages, in spite of trying 3 times with 3 different languages, all for substantial time periods, both in and outside of academic settings, often with significant personal motivation and enthusiasm, with all zero success. Yet my sister (Identical upbringing and 50% identical genes) has learnt 6 languages, and picks them up to the point of moderate fluency within months.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

Euphonium

Postby Euphonium » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:19 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Ah, the last year of high school. I sometimes feel a twinge of regret that I didn't take something slightly more useful

Fuck "useful."

It's not a goddamn trade school.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:38 am UTC

I mean it's a unique chance to apply oneself to something unfamiliar in a structured environment – perhaps one best not wasted on something familiar and easy.

I ended up taking Psych 101 and first-year Japanese in my last two semesters of undergrad. 'Twas totes worthwhile. (But then, I was feeling pretty burned out at the time.)

Return to “School”