What should I study to be a white hat?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

YukoValis

What should I study to be a white hat?

Postby YukoValis » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

Yes I know that generally every hacker is a grey hat, but to a company where everything is black and white, I want to be a "white hat" hacker

I have done courses for network and security, got that fancy A+ cert somewhere, and have a general hatred for malware and spyware.
I just want to get some general direction on the things I should learn. Things that would be useful for that kind of career. Maybe something towards the penetration prevention type of white hat work, despite the horribly boring title that would be.
"what do you do for a living?" "Oh just penetration prevention"

I'm tired of working in general IT for the worst company in the world (you know the one) I would just appreciate some sagely direction. Thank you

Jorpho

Re: What should I study to be a white hat?

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:11 am UTC

Surely a "white hat" hacker would learn pretty much exactly the same things as everyone else?

YukoValis

Postby YukoValis » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:16 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Surely a "white hat" hacker would learn pretty much exactly the same things as everyone else?

In what regards? You mean everyone who is a grey and black hats? What things specifically would they learn and how? Those are the answers I seek

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:18 pm UTC

It seems incongruous to ask what things would specifically be learned by someone with a broad, generalized title such as "hacker". I reckon courses for network and security would be the way to go?

douglasm

Postby douglasm » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

The primary thing would be, well, the mechanics of black hat hacking. The knowledge sets required to hack a system with nefarious intent and to prevent other people from doing so have a huge amount of overlap, especially once you get to the level of how and why various techniques work rather than just what those techniques are, which any really good professional should know.

YukoValis

Postby YukoValis » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:28 am UTC

douglasm wrote:The primary thing would be, well, the mechanics of black hat hacking. The knowledge sets required to hack a system with nefarious intent and to prevent other people from doing so have a huge amount of overlap, especially once you get to the level of how and why various techniques work rather than just what those techniques are, which any really good professional should know.

I certainly thank you for this. Though I am mostly now curious if there is a certain course work known for it, or is this something one just does research on their own for? I am currently stuck in the general IT security field, but all of my schooling or vocations since have never seemed to feature anything close to black/grey/white hat hacking concepts.

douglasm

Postby douglasm » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:44 am UTC

A lot of schools are hesitant to teach such things because of the possible PR trouble of people thinking they're systematically training up black hat hackers (and to a lesser extent, the possibility that it might actually turn out that way). I remember seeing a news article once about a school that started teaching a course on it, but I'd have to go searching to find it again.

You may be able to find formal schooling on hacking techniques, but you'll probably have to search for it.

YukoValis

Postby YukoValis » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:10 am UTC

douglasm wrote:A lot of schools are hesitant to teach such things because of the possible PR trouble of people thinking they're systematically training up black hat hackers (and to a lesser extent, the possibility that it might actually turn out that way). I remember seeing a news article once about a school that started teaching a course on it, but I'd have to go searching to find it again.

You may be able to find formal schooling on hacking techniques, but you'll probably have to search for it.

yeah that was my fear, no official schooling on the subject. I hoped it might have been something I was just missing, or some inane wording a school used for its program. What you said makes sense. Thank you

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

I have a friend who works in cyber security. I'll pass along your contact info to him.

Frankly though, if you've already taken the course work and already gotten the certificates, how are you unsure of where to go from here? Surely you know of at least a few companies that fit your criteria?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

YukoValis wrote:Yes I know that generally every hacker is a grey hat, but to a company where everything is black and white, I want to be a "white hat" hacker

I have done courses for network and security, got that fancy A+ cert somewhere, and have a general hatred for malware and spyware.
I just want to get some general direction on the things I should learn. Things that would be useful for that kind of career. Maybe something towards the penetration prevention type of white hat work, despite the horribly boring title that would be.
"what do you do for a living?" "Oh just penetration prevention"

I'm tired of working in general IT for the worst company in the world (you know the one) I would just appreciate some sagely direction. Thank you

Ideally, get a CS degree. Certs are good. Knowledge is good. There's a giant pile of various stuff out there, and not all of it is found in degrees and certs, but having titles that look pretty are important for actually having a career. Be aware that a lot of the practical implications of "cybersecurity" programs is often boring as crap. Writing policies, configuring active directory, junk like that, and this is often seen as a transitional position to a "real" CS job.

Return to “School”