shifting learning out of the classroom

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

>-)

shifting learning out of the classroom

Postby >-) » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 pm UTC

Has anyone else experienced a trend of moving the actual learning outside the classroom at different "levels"?
I'm not criticizing the teaching, but I noticed that the amount I learn inside the classroom versus outside has decreased.

In high school, classes usually consisted of
1. Introducing a new topic (for example, the chain rule)
2. Demonstration of the new technique on a few examples by instructor.
3. A short exercise for students to try it out for themselves (usually in small groups)

A format more typical in university:
1. Introduction of topic (a theorem or an algorithm)
2. One or more proofs about the topic
3. Application of the theorem or technique.
4. Actual familiarity about the topic is only gained after playing around with it in the homework.

And lately with some graduate classes it looks more like this.
1. Introduction / motivation / background of a topic (takes up a significant portion of the class)
2. A bunch of theorems / claims with proofs not given (or sometimes, lecturer gives 30 second "sketch" of the proof accompanied by a few slides of equations no one can possibly read in time)
3. Proofs located in "required" reading / done as homework. Learning actually happens here.

If it's relevant, my major is computer science. I think the last class format is the most interesting. It almost makes the most sense in that all the information about the subject is probably readily available on the internet, and the difficulty is forming a big picture view of the topic. At the same time, it can also be a bit tricky to adapt to if you're not familiar with it.

Return to “School”