Teachers that cannot teach

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Re: Teachers that cannot teach

Postby Ati » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:35 am UTC

Oh my, how I hate my math teacher.
She fails to return most of the work done, or returns it months late (I have yet to get my midterm back. Term ends in a few weeks). Her homework is radically different from the stuff she's actually teaching. She's totally unhelpful when answering questions, and her corrections on the stuff she does return are totally indecipherable. Another part I'm not quite sure about - she talks plenty long (she allways talks for longer than the class period, which is hell when you have a bus to catch), but somehow, never seems to actually explain how to solve problems more than once. I've started checking everything she says to see if she's starting the new technique yet, since you're fucked if you miss it the first time. She takes roll call twice during the class in case someone has slipped out. Two thirds of the class have dropped it (I was in the dumb/persistent third - yay me).

And that's my bad teacher story.
I can kill you with my brain.

DrProfessorPhD

Postby DrProfessorPhD » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:19 am UTC

As a followup to my two bad teachers, the problems have magnified. For the computer course, we have our final on Sat. It is based on the book, which I have not read, and has nothing to do with class. I did not read the book because I could go into class, take the tests, get 60%, and be given full credit. Now, I have tomorrow to learn it all, because I am busy all Fri.
My accounting teacher is starting our practical final next week. We need to be done with Ch. 16 by then. We started 14 on Mon and haven't finished by the end of today. I seriously doubt his ability to get us to learn it all.
I am probably a swordfighting octopus. In case you can't tell.

Nosferatu

Postby Nosferatu » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:18 am UTC

My so called Science teacher of this year.

-Googles the answers to questions we ask in the middle of class. (This then led to us asking her very simple questions and seeing if she knew the answers. Eg. "What is a noble gas?". Her: "uhhh....*google*". Point made then and there on our part.

-Tries to tell the class things which are completely wrong. Eg. "the rarest blood type is O." Myself and another guy: "hey! That's not even slightly right! The rarest is AB-!"

- She is a fairly big slut too...always flirting with the sporty kids who don't do anything up the back. We figure she either payed or slept her way through university. Naturally slutting around eats into teaching time, so not a lot of that actually got done.

-Has nearly blown up the class three times and nearly took out the eyes of two students with an exploding silicone rock that was heated in a Bunsen burner.

- Does plain down right ditzy things. Eg. She got a projector out from the library and then tried to play a video for us, sounds simple enough right....only she didn't get any speakers for it. So she goes to play the video...and naturally no sound comes out, even from her laptop because she has mute on. She then says "Why doesn't the computer have a voice!?". Us:.....Bahahahahahah!

- Oh and finally we had to make a "road safety video", showing what can be done to lower crash rates and then the death rate. So she goes and gets the video cameras from the department holding them. She brings them back to class and tells us all to get started. We look at her and ask "..where are the tapes". Because these cameras only take mini DV tapes as the school hasn't updated their camera stocks in quite sometime...it seems that sport needs all of that money. Any way she in a state like a deer in the headlights says "..they need tapes? But can't you just record it anyway?". We then had to explain all about how camera work...a very tiresome task. They got a science teacher, who can't teach science to do a Media project with her students. So now we know she can't teach science or media.

-Overall because of her lack of teaching ability pretty much any test we were given was failed by about 90% of the class. Some of us decided to read the text book over and over on our own time, hoping that we would get decent, passing marks on the exam. I chose to do that; and I was able to learn more about our subjects in 15 minutes of revision than what she taught us in the year.

The students knew more about science than her! A pathetic excuse for a teacher! Well at least I know that I will never have to have her as a teacher again now that the year is over...however I feel sorry for all those who have to go through the years to come with her.

(update!: I'm very happy to be saying that the year has ended and that teacher "will not be having their contract renewed". Hehehe, I love it when that sort of thing happens; however it doesn't undo the damage she did, but it is better than nothing.)
Last edited by Nosferatu on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Real terror is not the sight of death, it is the fear of death. What is the fear of death? Terror of the unknown.

Eleni

Postby Eleni » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

I had a teacher whose class went something like this:
Teacher stands at the chalkboard with his lecture notes in one hand, a piece of chalk in the other. He writes whatever he has written down in his lecture notes onto the chalkboard, reading the notes aloud. We all copy the lecture notes into our notebooks. That's it. He could have just handed out a copy of the notes and saved us all the trouble. The worst part was he gave us all bad grades for not participating enough in class. What were we supposed to be doing? Interpretive dance?
http://rpgcalledlife.blogspot.com/
(aka "Maybe if my blog is witty enough someone will finally love me")

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:36 am UTC

1. My fourth grade science teacher. She was really boring - all she ever did was drone on and on about something or other, and we were supposed to take many more notes than elementary school kids should even have to think about. On top of that, I had started at a new school that year, so when I got called to the nurse's office for those vision and hearing tests, I asked where the nurse's office was, since I didn't know my way around yet. She blew her stack and berated me for about three minutes before anybody told me where to go.

2. My ninth grade Latin teacher. He was a great guy, pretty funny, but he was really disorganized and couldn't really teach to save his life. He was either unintelligible, off track, and on rare occasions, in a terrible mood where he refused to listen to anything you said. He didn't give very much homework, but he made his own tests, which were insanely difficult, and then when desperate students asked him for extra credit, he would give them something like "Try to guess my favorite song," rather than something related to the subject matter.

3. My seventh grade science teacher. She never really taught anything, because when she came into class, she would start yammering about her daughters' swimming lessons or something like that, and then when she started to teach somebody would always ask some other question, like 'What kind of rock is that on your desk?' and she would get off track for the entire period, then when the bell rang she would assign the chapter of the book we were supposed to cover in class for homework. She never really looked to see what was written on the homework, though, so you could get credit for anything - one of my friends put down answers like "Earth is pretty," "Mrs. JP is a werewolf," and "dananananananana BATMAN!" Then when the tests came around most people would do badly because they hadn't learned anything.

Just this afternoon, I had a study hall right across from her classroom (my school goes from grades 7-12) and I heard her half-yelling to her class "If you want to know whether an asteroid is going to hit the Earth, just check the Weather Channel!"

4. My geometry teacher this year. He wasn't a bad teacher per se, but he decided he would take his day off for the term the Monday after Veteran's Day. He didn't show up the Friday after Veteran's day, nor for two weeks afterward, at which point he sent the school an email saying he would know in a few days when he was coming back. He has not been heard from since, and the school gave us a long-term sub almost a month ago now.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:54 am UTC

Eleni wrote:I had a teacher whose class went something like this:
Teacher stands at the chalkboard with his lecture notes in one hand, a piece of chalk in the other. He writes whatever he has written down in his lecture notes onto the chalkboard, reading the notes aloud. We all copy the lecture notes into our notebooks. That's it. He could have just handed out a copy of the notes and saved us all the trouble. The worst part was he gave us all bad grades for not participating enough in class. What were we supposed to be doing? Interpretive dance?

The Chem/Physics teacher at my school was like this. Add to the fact that he was just an all-around abrasive person, and that's a recipie for disaster.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:00 am UTC

My calculus teacher can't teach. He likes to look at us crazy when we don't know the answer to a question and he acts like a child when we ask questions ("Um hello! It's easy, what's wrong with you guys?" of "Understand? Understand?- *blank stares*"). Then he wonders why the average test grade is a 48%. The class is so bad that he has to curve the grades just so everyone can pass after letting us all correct our tests to add half of the points missed to the original grade.

And my physics teacher only talked about his BS in physics and never got around to teaching it. He played with his pulleys for the first two months of school and ditched us for the UAE and more money. No one passed the AP test.

Oh! My geometry teacher used to come in and complain about her love life and her boyfriend or her money problems and how she would never get social security and how she felt sorry for us because we wouldn't get social security...and she cried in class. Twice.

Yeeah.

ibtrippen

Postby ibtrippen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Easiest teacher I ever had was an economics teacher in HS. For the test, he would give us sheets of paper and pensils, then ask us questions about economics. Then he'd give us time to ask each other if we didn't know the answer ourselves. Then he'd tell us the answer and move on to the next question.

Half the class failed his tests. :shock:

I just finished an O-Chem class with a professor who was good one on one but didn't lecture in an organized way. He'd ask the moment he got in class whether we had any questions and then promptly spend the rest of the class answering three or four questions without going over any new material. Then he'd assign test questions that had nothing to do with the "lectures" or homework.

Hald the class failed his tests. :|
With the Persian army in "300" I'd have killed Leonidas in an hour.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Longtime lurker, first time poster. This thread drove me over the edge.

My worst ever instructor (who will NOT be dignified the term teacher, which would make one assume there was some caring) was a certain Mrs. XXXX in 5th grade in Elementary. She absolutely hated me. But there was a person named Logan in my class, and she gave him a lot of attention and great grades, even giving him what was essentially a "get out of jail free card". Basically, everything she did falls into 5 categories:
>Favoritism
>Anti(?)-Favoritism
>Inaccuracies
>Idiocy
>Screwing up my year

As I stated before, a kid in my class was named Logan. His mother taught as a music teacher at the school. He was short, and a little fat. He called me names (which hurts a little more in grade school, before the majority of children learn the new found magic that is cursing), spat in my food, took every little opportunity to make me look bad, and was just a general jackass to everyone. Let me bring to light one event that took place during a recess. Logan pushed me into the ditch, which has had a lot of snakes, some sewer pipes, and thorns. I get my hand bloody from the thorns, and SHE SENDS ME TO THE PRINCIPAL OFFICE, and he gets out of it, and I get yelled at, and am told that if I do it again (Do WHAT again?), that it will go on my permanent record. What. The. Hell. To clarify, There was a game of dodgeball on the field, and I was leaning over the ditch to pick up a ball, he comes over and pushes me in, and the aforementioned events happened.

She hated me. On numerous occasions she just seemed to not care that I existed. One such occasion happened when the field was being used for field day for another class, which she also ruined for me. But let's leave that for later. We were playing tackle football (first off, what idiot of an instructor let's elementary kids play tackle football?) on a ROCKY area on a STEEP hill. I get tackled, and tumble down the hill, hit my head on a rock, and get the wind knocked out of me. Some kids come over to help me up, she walks over, I can't breathe, so I lay down. Guess what she does. She YELLS AT ME for playing tackle football! When she allowed it! I ask to go to the nurse, and with a sigh, she says I can. I go there and the nurse checks my back and listens to see if my breathing is fine (she really was a good nurse, I got sick a lot that year, including but not limited to: Strep, Fifth Disease, and the Stomach Flu), and I ask for some ice for my head, which I hit on a rock. She tells me to go to the cafeteria to get some, and so I came back, and guess who is there? The instructor. She asks me what I am doing outside the nurse's office. I tell her that I am getting ice for my head, which hurts. Does anyone remember those little "incident reports" that you had to file, mainly in middle school before the cops could get involved? She says she doesn't remember me saying my head hurt. Now, to say this again for anyone reading, I hit my head on a rock. If I didn't hurt, something is very, very, very wrong. I tell her that it definitely is. She says that she will put, "did not report head hurting at first" down. Later on in class, my back is throbbing, and so is my head. I ask her to go home, and she acts like I just asked if I could steal a car, go to the ghetto of the town, and buy some cocaine to freebase. After a small argument, she lets me go. Also, that same day she accuses me of stealing a math stencil, which I later found inside my desk, where I had looked the previous day. When my mom gets there, the instructor acts all sentimental, but still doesn't admit that it was not my fault.

Some smaller instances happened a lot, but a huge one happened on field day. Remember field day? Where you get to have all those little games, like tug of war and relay races? Well, we had one. First, she wouldn't let me take a folding chair, but let another student (guess who. You guessed it, Logan) take one, on the grounds that I "wasn't responsible enough for a folding chair." So, we go out and, surprisingly, I have a good time, no thanks to her. Then comes the bathroom break, and I complain to a few of my friends. A child we shall call John for anonymity meant to tell the instructor that "James said he is going to drop a line on his parents", but it came out as "James said he is going to drop a line in your pants!", as he did have a speech impairment. First off, this is fifth grade, where they only tell you what the sex organs are called, not what sex is or anything like that. I didn't even know sex slang. So, rather than doing what any logical person would do, and asking the KID WITH THE SPEECH IMPAIRMENT to repeat it, she just called out in front of everyone lined up on the wall outside the bathroom that I couldn't do field day anymore because of what I said, and that I was going to the principal after everyone was done. I asked her what I said at least 15 times along the way, but all she would tell me was that "You know what you said." So, field day happens, and I go to sit with my mom, who, along with the parents of every other kids, sat to watch the games. I go there and start sniffling, and she asks me why I am not playing any of the games, and why I am sniffling. I tell her the story, aside from the part I didn't know about what I supposedly said, and she says she will come to the principal with me. I wouldn't have gotten through that year without her, as she and my dad always stuck up for me. Field day ends, and everyone else goes back to class to have a small party, which some parents donated snacks to. I finally learn what I supposedly said when the principal walks out, and there's even a cop there, as she had filed several fake reports before of "sexual harassment" from a 5th grader to some girls, who even TOLD HER THAT I SAID NOTHING! Can a 5th grader even know those things, even in this age of technology and any information readily available to anyone? Now, to make me look stupid, she gets John out to to say to me what I said, and he tells me a slurred "James is going to drop a line on his parents", making "his" sounds like "yirs" and "parents" sounding like "pairnts". She then turns white, and apologizes to me, John, and my mom, and she actually tones it down the rest of the year. Before that on 60's day, which is a day for 5th graders to get to do things like the 60's, like tie die, but instead of black students being segregated, each class had "armbands", but everyone knew who they represented.

She had a lot of inaccuracies, but the major one was when she said that we have had the same water forever! She didn't say the same amount, but that we had been using the same water! Now, I understand that this is an elementary class, and that no one would understand if she talked about the light-dependent reaction phase of photosynthesis, or the electron transport chain in aerobic cell respiration, but still, it came to me as a shock that water could be broken down during the Cell Respiration/Photosynthesis unit in 9th grade honors biology (which I have a B in, which if I retain, lets me go to AP Physics next year).

Still, it was just a few months, and while she was the biggest jerk that I had ever met, she still taught me that even 'mature" adults can be assholes.

Wooh, finally got all that grief off of my chest.
Spoiler:

Tatshua

Postby Tatshua » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

This thread instantly made me think of the only reason I have ever failed a class... A former math-teacher of mine was increadibly bad at explaining things. Now that I'm redoing the course I get suprised of how easy the course realy is! This teacher failed almost everyone in my class. Sure, while some of them might not have been the brightest there was enough smart students in it so that it'd be impossible for the class to realy be that good that almost all of us failed.

Oh, and sex-ed! We had it once a year and they said the same thing every time, and that was what womens womb and so on looks like. Ofcourse, they didn't teach us about the male genitalia. God forbid that those teachers whould ever draw anything having to do with a penis.

Mysidic

Postby Mysidic » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:00 am UTC

I have three teachers:

My US government teacher is a very nice woman, but she gets distracted too easily. I've learned about her sadism, coyotes, random anecdotes about her sister, getting drunk, her sister getting drunk, random state laws, more anecdotes about herself, and other amusing facts, but nothing about the government. 80% of the class if failing(You have to read the textbook to pass her tests, or at least know a bit about politics). She also has absolutely no control over the class, and half of them no longer bother to show up.

We all love her, but she's not the best teacher.

My Computer Science teacher(Java class) wastes about 30 minutes of each class with "good times", where we talk about good things that happens to us. A third of the period. We then have to boot the computers which takes another 10 minutes. The first part of the unit, we do nothing, then he tries to cram the quiz and test material into the last 2 days of the unit. He answers questions incredibly vaguely, leaving me to search through some humongous java refrence to find answers to simple questions.

My other Computer Science teacher(C) hasn't updated his course materials since 1989. This isn't really a problem, but he teaches the course completely differently now. Hence, his tests have nothing to do with what we learned, and several times asked about things specific to SunOS(all he taught us was how to terminal into it and use vi/the shell/gcc). He's generally very nice and funny, and can tell some interesting stories, but he's lazy and refuses to fix the computer we use(I swear that ancient sun machine's developed schizophrenia or something) or write new tests to reflect what he teaches. He also has no control over the stuff the newbie class does(mostly play flash games instead of coding).

He still has the best your mom jokes, though.
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:50 am UTC

-KF- wrote:Just this afternoon, I had a study hall right across from her classroom (my school goes from grades 7-12) and I heard her half-yelling to her class "If you want to know whether an asteroid is going to hit the Earth, just check the Weather Channel!"
They're meteorologists, see...

Tatshua

Postby Tatshua » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:56 am UTC

scowdich wrote:
-KF- wrote:Just this afternoon, I had a study hall right across from her classroom (my school goes from grades 7-12) and I heard her half-yelling to her class "If you want to know whether an asteroid is going to hit the Earth, just check the Weather Channel!"
They're meteorologists, see...

"And be sure to bring extra strong umbrellas tomorrow, because theres gonna be rain... But it's not any kind of rain!"

An Englishteacher mannaged to make me insecure about my English-skills. I dunno how... She gave me top grades, so I guess it's not realy that bad.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:26 am UTC

I had two teachers in third grade that I almost hated (Less than hate, more than intense dislike[They had us changing classes in third grade.]). One was just plain mean to everybody, one spent 99% of the class time lecturing the class for being noisy.

In seventh grade I had a teacher who knew her stuff and didn't teach too badly, but was ridiculously strict and wouldn't let people ask questions.

Now I have a biology teacher who is teaching us almost nothing. Previously, we had a teacher who was teaching us a lot and doing a good job of it, but because he gave us material at our level, not everyone was getting an A and the parents got mad at him. Now our new teacher is teaching us the stuff he taught us in the first two days of class in the span of a month. She makes everything extremely simple. For example, each person recently presented a paragraph each about a cell function or organelle. We had two entire days without any other assignment/teaching to do the paragraph. While we presented, she stopped at every word more than two syllables long and said: "Please use smaller words." What. The. Heck. This is ninth grade honors bio. We had two days to write a single paragraph. We're talking about cells. Wouldn't most people try to do a good job on such a small assignment with so long to work on it? Everyone knows what a macromolecule is. I'm not exaggerating. She actually made me say "Big molecules" instead of macromolecule. This happened to almost every person who presented. Also, she appears to be trying to teach us to take notes. We had to take three notes from each person's presentation. Exactly three. It had to be three, whether or not it needed more or less. And she would give the three things to write down to us. Everyone's paper clearly demonstrated knowledge far beyond what she was teaching, but she brought everything down to a third grade level of understanding. After half of the people were done, she told us a much simpler version of what the person had said and told us that what she said was what we ought to know.

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

First hour is study hall- if you can't teach that I feel sorry for you.
Second hour is U.S. History, perhaps my BEST teacher there..
Third Hour is Health/PE. Our teacher is 48. His biological age is 65. 'nuff said.
Fourth Hour is physical science. I know more about physics than my teacher...
Fifth hour is english, don't LIKE my teacher but she's good.
Sixth hour is math. Our normal teacher is good, but is away on maternity leave- our current teacher blows.
Seventh our is reading class. My teacher decided to take the reading aptitude test with us. I beat her score. She's in the 93rd percentile (of 8th graders in Illinois) and I'm in the 99th.

6th grade teacher- TOTALLY sexist.
I am a 14 year old who types at 60 words per minute and can read at a post-college level.
Please view my articles!
http://www.triond.com/users/ralith

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

Ralith wrote:Seventh our is reading class.

Reading class? In addition to an English class? What do you do in there? Do you just read the whole time?
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

Think lit. I'm only in eighth grade, they're still working on getting the redundant classes out.
English is more the rules of grammar. Advanced phonics, pretty much.
I am a 14 year old who types at 60 words per minute and can read at a post-college level.
Please view my articles!

TheCitadel

Postby TheCitadel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

My French teacher, last year. The only word in French I heard from her was 'bonjour', and that's it. It was so very frustating. She wrote in the blackboard in French, thank God, but she had terrible spelling.
Oh, and my Economics teacher, I don't know how they let him be in charge of 30 teenagers! After a few months of talking about life and personal opinions on various (non-economic) subjects, he made us study ten chapters of Mochon and Becker's book on banks, monopoly, money, supply and demand, etc. So far so good. The day of the final test we read the exam paper and all it said was: 'Explain the crisis in which the world has been submerged for the last few weeks' Whaaat???? Weren't we supposed to study something else? I'd love to say someone stood up and confronted him, and I'm sure someone would have done that if my teacher hadn't been absent that day (he sent the exams via e-mail to our headmaster) So, we did our best. I'm not a down-to-Earth person so I didn't do as well on the exam as the people in my class who read newspapers everyday. But I swear I had studied a lot for that thing!!!!
Now that I think of it there are an awful lot of teachers who deserve to be mentioned here, but I don't want to bore you all, even if complaining about them has an incredibly healing property! :)
Fight apathy, or don't.

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

TheCitadel wrote:Now that I think of it there are an awful lot of teachers who deserve to be mentioned here, but I don't want to bore you all, even if complaining about them has an incredibly healing property! :)

This is place for it- do it, do it, do it!
Please view my articles!

Generic Protoplasm

Postby Generic Protoplasm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:21 am UTC

I have a computer science teacher that is so inept that she fails her own tests.

She is also teaching another teacher to teach.

Fortunately, he actually gives a shit and works hard to learn the material.
Life is like a rock candy, you never know which attribute you're gonna increase next.

here_and_now

Postby here_and_now » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:10 am UTC

I guess I've been lucky in the past, because I can only think of two teachers that really failed to teach me anything - My high school Geometry teacher and my current Physics teacher. This is not to say that they aren't either very nice people. I just feel woefully uninformed when it comes to Geometry and Physics.

My Geometry teacher was also the school wrestling coach. I'm not sure whether it's been discussed yet that coaches generally fail at teaching, but in this case, that stereotype was definitely true. Every day he would stand up and draw a few diagrams on the board, ask a student to hand out worksheets, sit down at his desk, and chat with the athletes in the class for 45 minutes. He graded by completion as well, so nobody ever even made an effort to fill the sheets in correctly. Needless to say, I didn't get much out of the class, and it made the subsequent maths even more confusing.

The Physics teacher I have this year has definitely lost a few marbles. Actually, that was one of the topics of discussion in class a while back - how she has brain damage. Seriously. Nearly every day, she begins talking about a lesson or a law and digresses into something completely off topic. At the end of class, as everyone's walking out of the door after an hour-long lecture about her sweater (which she knit!), she calls out the problems due the next day. Often as not, I've already left and so my grade is abysmal because I have so much missing work.
Also, she makes really awful jokes.

I really wish I had a better Physics teacher, because I think I would really enjoy that class if it was less chitchat and more learning about physics.

Qman

Postby Qman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:32 am UTC

At my school, there is a Psychology 11 class in which there are 9 people passing and 19 failing. Anyways, the teacher is a PE teacher who somehow managed to get a job teaching psychology...

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:24 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:My calculus teacher is pretty bad in that she can't explain anything. She teaches the lesson, then has over half the class complaining that they didn't understand it. She also goes off on tangents and starts talking about the stuff they'll learn later when it has no bearing on what they're doing now, leaves class for large stretches of time for no discernible reason, and wastes large amounts of class time talking about stuff that isn't even remotely related to the course.

She also doesn't seem to realize how stupid it is to give a test on a day when over half the class is missing, and she knew they would be missing in advance.

My history teacher was evil. And like this.

Overall, I think he spent half the time in the class teaching.

Lectures about black history
More lectures about black history
Even more lectures about black history
Finally some teaching
Lectures about black history and street culture
Lectures about shit
Conversation
"I CAN SEE YOUR BUTT! RAISE YOUR FUCKING PANTS, BOY!"
Teaching
Conversation
Lectures about more shit
Videos

This year, my history teacher is like this:
Video
Video
Video
Lecture about video
Video
Lecture about all videos
Video
Video
Movie
Lecture about movie and video
Test
Video
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:35 am UTC

The teacher that sent me to the office because I said ,"damn."
In sixth grade.
Where I got in school suspension (DS for some) for 1 day.

Oh, but let me explain the situation behind it all.

End of P.E. One of the jerks in my class, big, ugly, fat chick(this is the sexist teacher, by the way) waddles up to me, slams me with her entire body (probably 185, 190 pounds moving at a significant rate of speed) into ONE point in my thigh, I hold myself back from beating the crap out of her, don't even say more than DAMN that hurt, go back to room, get told on, try to explain situation to teacher, futilely, get sent to office halfway through day, sit there until 10 minutes left in school day, then principal walks in and scolds me about cursing. I try to explain the situation, he listens. When it's done he says ,"It still doesn't justify saying the d word!" (he won't say it) and makes me wait until my bus is there to release me. I miss the bus, and have to call my parents to pick me up. The next day I spend in ISS.

At least I'm smart enough to be able to learn from the book- I didn't miss anything important in my classes.
Please view my articles!

Ajtucker22

Postby Ajtucker22 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

My 10th grade Geometry teacher didnt teach. He just told us to look at the book. And if you asked for an example on the board, all he did was give you the answer. His room is right next to my English 4 class, and apparently he discovered the magic of videos, because he plays them really loud and everything within a 5 mile radius can hear it. So according to his current students, they watch a movie, do some work, fail tests, rinse, lather, repeat.

TheCitadel

Postby TheCitadel » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:
This year, my history teacher is like this:
Video
Video
Video
Lecture about video
Video
Lecture about all videos
Video
Video
Movie
Lecture about movie and video
Test

Oh dear, my History of Arts teacher was just like that! But she always turned the lights off and it was impossible not to fall asleep. Really, I like art, but it was impossible. All the videos about Da Vinci or Michelangelo had lullaby music and the seats in our classroom were so comfy (they even had cushions)! :lol:
Fight apathy, or don't.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

Hmmm, well, I'm going in tomorrow to see if I can talk aforementioned bad teacher into changing my grade to a W (dropped class). The ground I'm standing on is that she didn't get my grade average or midterm back to me until _after_ the deadline to drop the damn class (and avoid an F), and when she did, it wasn't complete. I don't think she likes me very much, though, so I'm not expecting much more than a cold shoulder.
I can kill you with my brain.

iddqd

Postby iddqd » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

I took a "digital electronics" (I'm not sure that's the correct English name, but we talked about logic gates and stuff) and the teacher was probably the most boring teacher I've ever had. She was about 50 years old, spoke with an extremely monotone voice and didn't interact with the class at all. Pretty much everyone slept, talked shit or did something else during class and she didn't care. The tests were really easy, it only took about an hour or two of studies to get the highest grade (even if you slept through every class).

Last year, I had a couple of lab supervisors in a HCI course that were completely incompetent. Stuff that supposed to be on the website weren't there, they said they fixed it but didn't until after a week and so on. Every time we had a lab, I thought about telling them to fuck off and leave. I failed one lab where we were supposed to evaluate a system from the a certain persona's perspective because I had written some things about how the system would work for users in general. The worst thing that happened was when we had a session where we were supposed to do any labs we couldn't come to. I came late because I had some things I needed to take care of, and they just told me to sit down and start working by my own. Far enough. I sat down and started reading. I thought we were going to hand in our reports one week later like we always did, so I didn't do much actual work. Five minutes before the end of the session, one of them came over and asked me if I was done. I said I wasn't. She said that the purpose of the session was to discuss our results at the end, and that I would fail since I didn't have any results. I can't understand they didn't tell me that earlier, but I wasn't surprised.

Lleu

Postby Lleu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

My psychology teacher:
She gave us these journal questions we had to answer. 5 sentences each. We had to choose two to answer. All of them assumed you had some sort of mental illness (phobias, OCD, multiple personalities, or some anxiety disorder.) Each question could have been completely and honestly answered by the word "No."

And my Precalculus teacher didn't teach us certain things on the grounds that she didn't like them, so now we're wasting time in Calculus going over them.

Lóng the Dragon

Postby Lóng the Dragon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

Fortunately, throughout my years at at school, I haven't had teachers that were quite as bad as some of the ones mentioned here (then again, I go to a rather prestigious school). I've had three bad teachers though.

My first form Geography teacher was eternally grumpy, even called one of our students stupid after he asked if he could try to teach the class rather than just give assignments and answer questions.

My fourth form computer science* teacher was really stupid. I don't want to sound arrogant and say I knew more than her, but she was really, really incompetent at solving problems, which I usually did work out eventually. Pretty much my whole class agreed, by the way. She taught with two students from a university close to our school, and whenever we had a question we would go to them.

*Could be using incorrect term, I don't really know the English one.

But the absolute worst was my fourth form Latin teacher.

Fourth form was the year we went from textbook Latin to "real" Latin, and we translated Ovid. Which is (or at least for me felt like) a really large step. Up to that point our class was used to translating simple, straightforward prose and we went to complicated poetry with way too many metonymies, hyperbatos and more of the like.

Our teacher would slowly go through each of the sentences with the class. However, she did not once move. She'd stay at her desk the whole time, she didn't use the blackboard once (at least that taught me that the blackboard serves a really important purpose, might I ever become a teacher) and it was hard not to get distracted by something interesting like walls, ceilings or pencils. She also spoke in an extremely low voice, so that we had to be dead silent to hear what she was saying, and then tell us that we were such a loud class.

All of this would have been bearable, if she actually knew Latin. She literally had to ask one of the students (the smart one, that could actually keep up with her monotone ramblings) what she had for a translation several times. She never got her teacher's license (no one was surprised).

I fortunately have a new teacher now, and the first ten or so weeks of the new school year, I felt a huge relief during Latin class, because of having a competent teacher.
I'm just being bilingually redundant.

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

Just so you know, one of the teacher tricks when dealing with a loud classroom is, rather than raising your voice, to drop it.

It works.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

My French teaching in Year Nine was quite a bitch to most people, so nobody really liked her, but she was an OK teacher so we put up with it. She did have very little patience though, and we could never work out exactly what set off. We always had written reports at the end of the term, and in mine one term her main point was 'She really must learn to listen.' This would be a fair point, if not for one thing... I am profoundly deaf. I can't hear at all without hearing aids, and she always had to wear a special microphone for me so I could hear her at all! I couldn't believe it, and when I showed it to my parents they got really upset. The hearing impaired resource base in my school got involved, as did my head of year and head of the French department, and they moved me to a different teacher.
The sad thing is, apparently it took a lot of explaining to get her to realise why it is NOT OK to tell off a deaf child for not hearing you properly.
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

Symmetrical Feet

Postby Symmetrical Feet » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

fairbanks002 wrote:If I could count all the times I wanted to choke a school teacher for giving me extra credit for coloring...

Once in PreAP Bio (honours course, nothing to do with real AP Bio. I just took it for the required credit.) I failed my homework simply because I didn't colour in a graph, even though the data was perfectly distinguishable...
I feel blessed, though, that my AP Chemistry teacher knows what he's doing. Seems to be harsh and mean, but is really nice and explains things as thoroughly as possible. I love you, Mr. A!

I'm kinda surprised at this whole thread; I think that I might have gotten off pretty easily, as far as teachers. My only real complaints are with administration: last year, I had taken German 3 and failed it spectacularly, not because I didn't know the German, but because I simply never did my homework. My teacher thought that I should advance a level anyways, on those grounds. Okay, all's well. I come back, and I'm stuck in German 3 again, 'ccording to my schedule. I go to complain to my counselor (who really only adjust class schedules and sits around and chats with the other counselors, goofing off; oh, I learned that...), but she claimed that I couldn't be moved up because I had failed. Couldn't consult my Greman teacher, because she was struck with cancer over the summer, and her leave extended into the first month or so. No, no one could up and give her a call, asking if I could simply be moved... When she finally retuned (yay!), it was apparently past the drop/change class period (about three days at the beginning of each semester), although I had absolutely no interest in changing any classes aside from the already-fucked-up German. I'd still be in the same math, sciences, history, etc. classes, but different periods. Omaigawd, that's so difficult! I can understand their argument, but srsly. It's not like I'd be missing coursework or anything. At semester I got to change to German 4, though, so I'm happy.

Oh! I remember one... I grew up in Texas, which, one can imagine, has horrid schools. In 3rd or 4th grade (shortly after I had to learn what division was), my English class was reading a novel set in Nazi Germany. To spice things up, the book used German vocabulary in the text, and had a mini-dictionary in the back with the pronunciations and meanings of the words used. My teacher, despite my complaints and physically pointing out the guide in the book, kept mispronouncing things; "ja", like in "job", rather than with a "y" sound... gaaah....
Otherwise, I dunno. Didn't pay much attention to school before high school.

Also, shortly before I moved away (hooray!) in 5th grade, I got a sudden mental shock; we lost at the Alamo. Texas history was taught every year of our public-school lives, but framed it in such a way that one being taught the material could swear that all of those 'heroes' saved the day. Weird experience, it is, the realization.

And there were the 9th and 10th grade English teachers... I swear, they were hatched from the same nest. About the same age, similar mannerisms, same taste in patterns in clothes and hair. The only real differences are that they teach in different buildings (6-9/10-12 schools here) and the former wore reds/oranges, and the latter blues/greens. I prefer to refer to them as "Red Chicken" and "Blue Chicken", due to a sort of hen-pecking mannerism of pestering kids who aren't doing anything wrong, waddling about the class, and kinda of puffing out their chests when they're oh-so-proud of themselves when they give a lecture (riddled with errors in grammar). Red was incredibly fond of Shakespearean England, and even stooped to having us take a little 'test' to find out which 'humour' represented each of us. (To what educational benefit? I'll never know.) According to the damned thing, I was melancholic. Woo. She had everyone raise his hand when she called out his respective humour, didn't see my hand when she called out "melancholic", and she ranted, "Oh, I'm so glad that none of you in this class are melancholic! Such nasty, horrible people, they are". Oh, yes, thank you very much. I love you, too.
Then there's the fact that she had everyone try to read aloud the text in our book for Romeo and Juliet... everyone was so goddamned slow at reading... She didn't plan ahead, and so were were running out of time before the year ended, and skipped over the middle bit of the play, with all of the intersting, non-Romeo-and-Juliet things; 'least she didn't test on those bits. All I remember is reading things from our text, on time in class. Spew out bullshit essay, write a poem, and she gives As.

Blue was obsessed with Mexicans. She apparently grew up in the South, which may be a bit of it. All we did the year was read a few books (all of our texts relating to Mexicans or Mexican-Americans*, except for The Merchant of Venice, regarding which she and I had quite a few disagreements regarding 'mercy' and 'morals'), complete tests that asked basic information, like "why doesn't X talk in this chapter?" (kid's mum died, simple PTSD, and that fact was rather essential to the chapter), "how much money did Shylock led to Antonio?", or "where was Shakespeare born?". There were also my life's only grammar/spelling tests, but even then her PowerPoints explaining the grammar had a few errors in them, and then came all of the problems with having peers grade the tests (though she calls out all the answers)... I had been discounted for correcting "German Sheperd", which she adamantly claimed to be an acceptable spelling, when I picked through all of the reference material in her room to demonstrate that it's "Shepherd". I want my point back (_ _; )

I've completely bored you, but I feel a hell'a lot better now :D
Also, what is with teacher that preach the Bohr model as the almighty truth? Teaching it as a simple way of thinking about energy levels, sure, but not like it's reality...

*I hope I don't sound racist; I merely want to state that it is weird when almost all of one's material relates to one topic, for no discernable reason.
Things go in one ear, and are then promptly annihilated by the resident ninjas.

Generic Protoplasm

Postby Generic Protoplasm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

Here's one of the questions my AP Computer Science teacher felt necessary to put on the semester review...

Note that the other answers aren't even grammatically consistent.
Life is like a rock candy, you never know which attribute you're gonna increase next.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:41 am UTC

I can learn how to hacking? This could be the birth of a new meme.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

blackrose

Postby blackrose » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:52 am UTC

I have a love hate relationship with workshop classes. Specifically, my physics course. When I "get it" I'm golden. When I don't and the instructor tells me things like "that's trivial" and "this is simple" I want to rip his head off. He's supposed to be there to facilitate my learning, but sometimes it is impossible without some explanation from a live person other than my book.
I don't watch 24 hour news channels because they are retarded.

Lóng the Dragon

Postby Lóng the Dragon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

ks_physicist wrote:Just so you know, one of the teacher tricks when dealing with a loud classroom is, rather than raising your voice, to drop it.

It works.

Not really the case. One particular time I remember (because it was a bit over the top), we were with only 7 or so people (the people with Biology classes were off on some excursion), I could hear myself breathe, but I still couldn't hear what she said. Fortunately it wasn't really relevant what she said - she was reading us some story because of the absence - but it was still annoying.
I'm just being bilingually redundant.

Miro

Postby Miro » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

This isnt really a cannot but a would not.

In AP Comp Sci my senior year of Highschool, the Prof would not teach anyone who used a mac. He told them to either get a real labtop or use the IBMs in the back which ran Windows 2000.

Xv8M4g3r

Postby Xv8M4g3r » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

<rage>
My old primary school headmistress.

Came in when i was in year 5 (9-10) changes the uniform, timetable mid year and pisses off every teacher and 90% of the perants basicly.

Near the end of the year there is sports day, she organises it and basicly tells me im too slow to race for my class (WTF?!) i kinda get a little annoyed (i had major anger problems back then monor is an understatement) and she immediately drags me off to her office. My mother who was watching appears, so the head makes me wait outside and goes inside with my mum. 1/2 hour later she comes out tells me im suspended till monday (this was thursday).

Then in speech day at the end of year 6 i get no prizes even though - the IT teacher and all 3 year 6 teachers say i deserve the IT prize. My mother complains and the answer is that due to my disaplinary record i am ineligable for a prize. (read: she is still pissed i shouted at her).

</rage>

oh thats better now
Slowpoke says: 'GENERATION BB/9000*(A(g_64,g_64)): World first ever social experiment! Add one meme to this sig and post it in yours!'

jakemaheu

Postby jakemaheu » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:40 am UTC

My 5th Grade teacher was pretty horrible. Now, this was the year that I got Type 1 diabetes about a month into the school year. Now, every year before that, I'd done amazingly well-- straight A student. That year was shit.

In the first month, I got 9 (at least) demerits. I had gotten one previously, in first grade, because of something that wasn't my fault (stopping a kid from trying to kiss a bunch of girls). I also got in-school suspension for 1 1/2 days because I threatened a kid that same year. If my memory serves me correctly, I said I would "snipe him in the back 21 times." I'm lucky I didn't get sued or put in juvy-- his dad was a police officer. I then proceeded to blame it on Unreal Tournament 2000 GOTY. I'm ashamed that I did that, but you never want to be punished when you're a kid, so you do what you have to. My parents didn't go so lightly, though-- my dad was pissed, so I was grounded for a month (I built a pinball machine out of knex) and I had to write a 500-word report on Columbine. Yeah, as a 10 year-old.

I also hate my freshman U.S. History teacher. He's a douchebag who puts all sorts of restrictions on what we can do. He completely bans all electronics. I pulled out my Nokia N800 Internet Tablet one day to bring up a picture, and he took it for the day and called my dad at work. He was pissed. Between classes, we have passing time, which is because some people have classes on completely opposite sides of the school. Most people go to the bathroom or talk to their friends. When you go into his class, you stay there. Once you are in, he simply says "Take a seat, please!" If you try and reason ("I'm going to piss my pants!"), he just repeats it or threatens to give you a detention.

What an asshole.

On the upside, my Health teacher is awesome. We're one of the few schools whose sex ed program covers contraception, as well as abstinence. He makes the class fun and we get away with a lot of crap.

Unrelated: Did you know that they don't distribute condoms anymore in schools? I guess they lose like 5% of their school funding if they do.
Dauric wrote:Rent more backhoes and order more fill-dirt. This molehill needs to be a mountain by day's end.

sje46 wrote:It's not if when you get married the husband ceremoniously places his dick in his wife and a baby

Return to “School”