Teachers that cannot teach

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

fjman

Re: Teachers that cannot teach

Postby fjman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

I'd just like to point out that everyone has these stories.

And laugh at everyone who wants to teach.

(It's okay. I wanted to be a cop, until I realized that ALL of my coworkers would be those assholes who give tickets for retarded stupid shit, instead of chasing real problems (read: anything that can shoot back)).

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:I had a physics class (AP, with calculus) in high school that basically consisted of the teacher telling us what problems to do for homework for the next day.

When he left the classroom (15 minutes into the class) to go do other things, I would then get up and give the day's lecture, on the topics from the topic sheet given out beforehand, to anyone who had decided not to leave early.

This is not an exaggeration, by the way :(

The same teacher also taught "Conceptual Physics" (for freshman, in my crazy school), and was really good at it. In fact, a good half of the students who took the AP class had decided that they liked physics when they were in his Conceptual Physics class. Go figure.

As a teacher in my second year, I find it very challenging to switch back and forth between teaching Freshman Physics (high school) and teaching the "advanced" physics (traditional, algebra/trig based Jr/Sr class) course. It is hard to figure out what to not teach the Freshmen, and what I can skip with the Jr/Sr class. Inevitably, I will either be giving the Freshmen something too hard, or I will skip something "trivial" with the Juniors/Seniors that they can not, in fact, do.

It leads to a lot of backtracking, reworking of problems, and general frustration on my part. But, as someone who wants to do a good job at this teaching thing, I continually work to improve my teaching at both levels.

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:19 am UTC

My Spanish teacher is quite amusing
She:
    is (surprisingly) fluent in Spanish, yet tells us everything obvious in English and everything else in lightspeed Spanish.
    misspells every word (with the exception of "a" and "y").
    makes us watch videos of poor deprived children in third-world countries.
    makes us watch videos of a man beating the shit out of his incestual sister.
    teaches stuff we learned 5 years ago. In elementary.
    discriminates against the poor little black kid.
I feel that last one deserves a bit more elaborating. This kid happens to be fairly vocal, however, there are three Spanish-fluent students who consistantly swear and scream during class. (Ironically, she only yells at them when the curse in Spanish...Perhaps she's not fluent in English?) Everytime she heard someone talking, she would yell at the kid regardless of the actual perpetrator. One time, the kid was walking out to take a leak, and he gets socked by one of them. After lodging his complaint, the teacher asks, "Did you walk over to him?", and then proceeds to punish him. :shock:

This is our third teacher this year. Sadly, this is an improvement.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

ThinkerEmeritus

Postby ThinkerEmeritus » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

ks_physicist wrote:As a teacher in my second year, I find it very challenging to switch back and forth between teaching Freshman Physics (high school) and teaching the "advanced" physics (traditional, algebra/trig based Jr/Sr class) course. It is hard to figure out what to not teach the Freshmen, and what I can skip with the Jr/Sr class. Inevitably, I will either be giving the Freshmen something too hard, or I will skip something "trivial" with the Juniors/Seniors that they can not, in fact, do.

It leads to a lot of backtracking, reworking of problems, and general frustration on my part. But, as someone who wants to do a good job at this teaching thing, I continually work to improve my teaching at both levels.

Don't worry too much, just keep working on improving your courses. It gets easier with repetition, at least if you keep track of what the students knew and didn't know in previous years. Meantime, nothing beats asking them if they know something already or if they are getting completely lost, which you must be doing in order to know you need to backtrack.

As an aside, I think that the most important thing you can teach beginning physics students is that they don't have to memorize the formulas by brute force. Get them to use units, pictures, assume linear and learn which terms aren't, and learn/practice the most general convenient form of a formula. I have had too many students who think x = v0t,
x = v0t+at2/2, and x = at2/2 were three separate equations, and I am almost afraid that the old saw about the army teaching 3 Ohm's Laws [V=IR, R=V/I, and I=V/R] may be correct.
"An expert is a person who has already made all possible mistakes." -- paraphrase of a statement by Niels Bohr
Seen on a bumper sticker: "My other vehicle is a Krebs cycle".

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:40 am UTC

I noticed that a friend of mine has this quote from our professor on his facebook account:

"Twinkle twinkle little star, power equals I squared R".

I chuckled...

mandalore

Postby mandalore » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

My L.A. teacher. We have vocab lists every week, and she can't even pronounce half the words on it. Plus, she thinks that she's funny and nice, but everyone hates her. Now my history teacher, on the other hand, is probably one of my favorite teachers that I've ever had.

Cailin Coilleach

Postby Cailin Coilleach » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

l33t_sas wrote:He also once walked into the wrong classroom and instead of just leaving, pulled out a toy reindeer out of his bag and sat down and watched it for 5 minutes as it sang some Christmas Carol. He then picked it up, put it in his bag, announced to the class: "Only 20 bucks, bargain!" and left. My friend said it was simultaneously the funniest and most bizarre thing he'd ever seen.

The first thing I thought was that the guy could've been a Discordian. We like to mess with peoples' minds :mrgreen:

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

My web design teacher last semester, who is also my CS teacher, knew nothing about web design. Literally. He admitted it to us the first day of school. How he got the job I haven't a clue... perhaps they figured if he can teach one computer class, he can teach them all?

Anyways, he managed to get through the semester by reading the textbook and learning stuff that way, just like everybody else in the class. Which is very bad, because the textbook sucked. Most of it was teaching you how to use Dreamweaver to make web pages for you. And the one chapter it did have on HTML coding, was not XHTML, so it was using examples like

Code: Select all

<A HREF=http://...>
and

<BR>

I ended up getting a 100% for the course, including the final exam, and I didn't learn a thing about web designing except how to use a piece of expensive commercial software that I'll only be able to acquire by pirating.

Paiev

Postby Paiev » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

My Electrical Engineering teacher is teaching us C++ this marking period. I, who have been programming in C++ for a few years, am still required to take the class (and have been doing rather well, of course). I also happen to disagree with half the stuff he says. Before you think that I'm being conceited about myself in thinking that he's not a great programmer, consider the following:

While we were taking a test, he told us that positive numbers evaluated to true and that zero and negative numbers evaluated to false. I disagreed and told him that negative numbers were true. He did something on his computer for a few minutes (which none of us could see), then looked over at me and told me again that negative numbers were false. I said "No they're not...", he told me to "throw out whatever book I'm using because it's garbage".

After I finished the test, I wrote a simple test program, compiled it with g++, and it confirmed that negative numbers were true. I then checked the C++ language specification, and sure enough, in section 4.12 it quite clearly said that all non-zero numbers evaluate to true. The next time the subject came up (when he was telling us again that negative numbers were false) I disagreed more adamantly. He got mad, went over to his laptop, and opened up a program that he had apparently written during the test to check if negative numbers were true.

The source code?

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
  int i;
  if (i == -1)
    cout << "A";
  cout << "B";
  return 0;
}

Outside of the daily wtf, my early projects, and my some of my classmates' code, this has to be the worst program I've ever seen.

Non-coding qualms with him include me having an issue with him distributing VC++6, a non-standards-compliant compiler. Just distribute the freaking Visual C++ 2008 Express Editions if you are going to distribute Visual C++...

Bah. I should probably let little things like the negative numbers being true go, but I can't bring myself to. After all, duty calls.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:01 am UTC

RedWolf wrote:...perhaps they figured if he can teach one computer class, he can teach them all?

This actually happens a lot. Teachers may initially be hired to teach specific subjects, but over time are assigned to teach subjects they know nothing about. My mother for instance was initially hired to teach the basic grade 9 and 10 tech courses (basically shop+how to use microsoft office). A few years later they forced her into teaching Media Studies, Journalism, and Computer Science. She's since learned how to teach them after taking some summer courses and going through the old lesson plans, but there are a lot of teachers that just don't put the effort into learning the courses they're assigned. So long as the majority of their students pass, administration tends to put teachers wherever they feel like, and then the teachers are stuck with it.

Osirius

Postby Osirius » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:05 am UTC

I remember when I was a HS freshman, I went to a small Chrisitian school. Very small, as in 17 people in each grade, you all had the same classes, and each teacher taught 4 subjects. Being a Chrisitian school, we had to take Bible, and my teacher was quite, shall we say, opinionated.

She would teach us from a small study book that she swore was the truest thing we would ever read. We would ask questions and she would scream at us for questioning it and her. It became quite argumenative many times in her class, and the only way to shut us up was to threaten to fail us. Parents payed good money for us to go, and failing wasnt an option.

She assigned a weekly " religious" current event article, which nobody ever did except her son. Oh yes, I forgot to mention her son was in the class. Quite proud she was that he was the only one with an A other than the Vice Principle's daughter.

It all worked out though. I left to a larger public school the following year, and I found out from my cousin who still goes there that they caught her fixing grades for students she liked and failing those she didn't like. Kicked her out the day it happened.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:07 am UTC

RedWolf wrote:My web design teacher last semester, who is also my CS teacher, knew nothing about web design. Literally. He admitted it to us the first day of school. How he got the job I haven't a clue... perhaps they figured if he can teach one computer class, he can teach them all?
I've heard of stuff like this, and in most cases I've heard of, it's more of a problem of bumbling administrators who think a teacher who can teach one technology class can teach any other one. I know a couple friends who took AP Comp Sci with a teacher who was in his first year of teaching the class. The old AP Comp Sci teacher left on some kinda extended leave, so apparently the administration threw the new teacher into the class just because he did a good job of teaching other technology classes (stuff like image/video editing, 3D modeling, and web design courses), in spite of the fact that he openly admitted not knowing diddley-squat about Java or computer science. So he had to learn everything as he went along, and repeatedly spent days on trivial topics not covered on the AP test.

I heard that the class went from a 100% "pass" rate (3 or higher on the AP test) the year before (with the old teacher) to less than 10% with a median score of 1 with the new teacher. Boy, was I glad I wasn't in that class.

And said friends re-took AP Comp Sci the next year. But as an independent study.

On a similar note, I also once knew of a teacher who openly admitted that a student once spotted him driving down the wrong side of the road by accident. The administration forced him to teach Driver's Ed.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

lentamentalisk

Postby lentamentalisk » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:41 am UTC

My English teacher, who for identity reasons I will call Ms. Stupid is not so much a person as a random word generator.
Here are just a few of the things she has said to us:
"The Andes mountains are rising at hundreds of feet per year."
"From now on when I put time on the board, it'll be time on the board!"
"It'll be 5 minutes, then it'll increase geometrically to 25 minutes."
"... As easily as a fish swims through a beautiful forest... [5 seconds pass] ... under water."
"If you don't call and you don't care, the you don't care."
"What kind of word is 'beating'? A verb, thats right."
"Its Manhattan, its a rat."
"Some of you want me to hold your diaper, and wash it, and smell it."
"The difference between morphine and heroine is like riding a bike and flying in an airplane."
[tech guy] "check your email" [Ms. Stupid] "I did, its working" [tech guy] "No, check your email because thats how I'm going to contact you..."
[reading from a book] "'It was mathematics, geometry, it was beautiful.' Meaning it was poetry"
[student] "Ms. Stupid, can I have a bandaid?" [Ms. Stupid] "I don't have any cigarettes."
and last but not least:
"I wouldn't lie to you"

My friends in one of her other periods have another list of things that she said, but I don't have that on me at the time.
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

Osirius wrote:fixing grades

Oh, damn, that reminds me of my English teacher in high school. I think I had her for freshman or sophomore year, can't remember exactly. I knew there was something up about her, I could tell she played favorites, but never had any evidence to back it up.

Come senior year (different teacher), and my class is giving a sort of mini-presentation type thing; we spend about 7-10 minutes in a bunch of other classrooms giving the presentation. We go into my 9/10-grade English teacher's class, and stand around the edge of the classroom. I happen to stand behind and to the right of the podium, where I can just make out what that old hag is doing.

She's grading projects. I saw her, very clearly, and several times, look at the top of the paper for the name, and then write a grade down before filling in the rubric. To be more clear: There were several different categories this particular project was graded on, each one worth a certain number of points (I'm sure you're all familiar). Down the right side of the page there were spaces for all the different categories, and at the bottom there was a box for the total. She wrote the number in the total box first.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

hat_on_a_rat

Postby hat_on_a_rat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

My Math class recently got a student teacher to start helping out.

My lazy-ass Math teacher has her doing ALL the teaching.

The problem with that is, the the student teacher can't teach for shit.

My grades have started going down, and I noticed that she's been marking some of my responses wrong, because I use big words.
She's just an awful teacher.

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:03 am UTC

My physics teacher... Dr. B is a genius with numbers, and apparently is head of the math and science department, but she cannot speak clearly, and is in general not understandable. She just paraphrases the textbook, does all the problems in there (sometimes getting them entirely wrong because she's not a native english speaker, articles confound her), then expects us to understand the concept. That, and she fails you if you ask questions.

She's a great upperlevel math teacher, though (trig and calculus). I have her for both Physics and Precalculus, but if you start to slip up in one class, she gives you looks in the other.

On the other hand, she bribes the physics class with food every morning... Its working, but I do wish I could get her to explain some concepts with electromagnetic fields...

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Cooley wrote:That, and she fails you if you ask questions.

Wait, really? Does she understand what a teacher is? How the hell did she get a job?

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:21 am UTC

A teacher told my Rh- sister that she couldn't have two Rh+ parents (which she does). That teacher gets a double fail for essentially questioning my sister's parentage while being absolutely wrong.

Our father was not pleased.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

flummerina wrote:My current math teacher is fairly appalling: he has no idea of what he's doing and, when asked to explain concepts, gets highly defensive. His main coping mechanism is to insult his students' intelligence when they ask him to explain anything.

He has also been known to say, "Just trust me." Now, I'm not a fan of maths by any level, but doesn't saying that in a math classroom just seem wrong to you?

Well, I'm not a teacher, only a student. But even so, I don't see it as that wrong --- I've used it on several occasions when explaining things to friends. Mostly, it's useful for sweeping irrelevant details under the carpet if they would be confusing at the moment.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

My math teacher divided by zero...

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

Oh man, I love these stories.

Right now, my little sister has the most ridiculous Honors Biology teacher in the history of ever. He acts all smart and open-minded, for example, refusing to give straight answers to questions. That's not so bad in itself, trying to guide your students to discovery of the answer, but he's just so very smug about it. He doesn't listen to what his students are saying, he's always convinced that his way is the right way, and perhaps worst of all he thinks his class is the most important thing in his students' lives.

Some students had to miss their (first period) bio class to go to a math competition, and he insisted that instead of missing his class, they skip whatever their third period was to go to the other bio class. She told me how he spent half the class yesterday complaining about how all of the Honors World Studies students have to go on a field trip, on a day on which they have his class. "I can't believe you decided to go on this field trip without asking me. And now I know you'll all expect me to do the whole lesson again just for you, and I'll have to spend eight extra hours teaching because I'll have to do it five different times for different groups of students, and I'll have to spend an hour just signing these field trip forms." etc.

Such arrogance on the part of teachers really gets to me. Dude, this is not about you. Get over yourself.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

FoodSciGuy06

Postby FoodSciGuy06 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

I once had an English teacher who had the class make monopoly boards for a class project based on locations in a book...for about a month. We also had to write an essay on the book and he questioned whether "vat" was a word.

Another English teacher blatantly told me that he doesn't care what some of the words I used in an essay meant and that is someone with a master's in English doesn't know it, chances are it is too obscure to use in an essay. This was after he allowed another kid use all the flowery language he wanted...because the teacher knew what they meant. I eventually sought out more and more obscure words to put into essays just to mess with him. He finally gave up and I got a B in the class.

Graham Finch

Postby Graham Finch » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:05 am UTC

I had a Motion Graphics class last semester where I got to utilize After Effects for the first time. The teacher taught us nothing. He just reiterated the book, word for word, and then we went home. What was the point of the class if he wouldn't give us his own original lectures? We also never went to the lab or got any hands-on training during sessions; we had to do it on our own independent times. Some of the students didn't even have the patience to come to class; they just downloaded the AE free trial and turned in the book's chapter lessons several weeks ahead of time from home.

I'm so glad my Photoshop and Flash classes this semester are the exact opposite. My professors give us lab time, hands-on training, and lessons the books don't have.

Mother Superior wrote:Fereshteh:

Before a few days ago we all saw her as boring, hard to understand and not a very good teacher. She had been the author of such classic quotes as; "We could classify America as a post-colonial country, but we can't." And; "And then, cows broke loose" (She pronounces 'chaos' 'cows').

Actually, if you do a bit of research on classic Greek etymology (where the word originated), that's the correct pronunciation of chaos.

Janey

Postby Janey » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:03 am UTC

I went to two different Secondary Schools (I'm disruptive :D ). There were some great teachers at the convent but there were a lot of rules that I didn't like (I'll spare you the details). Anyway, we had a teacher from 1st to 3rd year for General Science who really, really sucked. She put her back out about a third of the way through third year and we got this really awesome Dead Poets Society type teacher who had some cool teaching methods. He freaked out when he found out that instead of using a year for each topic (Chemistry, Biology and Physics) that she'd done two years of Biology and a little bit of Chemistry. Cue him trying to teach us the entire physics course and most of the chemistry course in about 6 months. She was also an awful Bio teacher (she answered questions with one word, "because"), so we ended up trying to redo the Bio course too. Anyway, one of his experiments to demonstrate heat was to stand a girl up on one of the lap tables (the really high ones) with her hair against the light. Long story short he forgot about her and her hair caught fire. Ok so not ON FIRE, but it started to smoke and all made some really yummy smells.

I had this battleaxe of a German teacher at my next school. One day I forgot to bring my homework to class (it's always such a punch in the face when you really do forget it. Boy who cried wolf. wanker.) and I tell her i forgot it and that I was really sorry blah blah blah and offered to show it to her the next morning even though i didnt have her at all the next day. She get's all stroppy and asks me if I have a note from my parents.

"for what?"
"forgetting your homework"
"No, it's at home. . ."
"do you have a note?"
"What? . . no??"
"why not?"
"its. at. home."
"well then you should have a note"
"if i went home to get a note don't you think I'd just get my homework?"
". . . . . .I want a note tomorrow"

When I told my dad he was outraged and gave me a note that said "Dear Ms Whatever, Here is your note."

He also wrote one to my brothers fifth class teacher that just said "Dear Ms Whatever, Fuck you"

Because she was a total whore. I love my dear old dad.

AlterForm

Postby AlterForm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:38 am UTC

First, a teacher who cannot teach.

Let me start by saying that everyone who knows her calls her "Slats" in a way which is insulting, but ambiguously so. This way, we can semi-insult her to her face, since she's one the wiser since it's relatively close to her real name. My friend and I had her for an "Entrepeneurship" class (textbook was 200 pages of 20pt font. ugh), and we decided she is the worst teacher we have ever had. Her quizzes/test/homework were pulled pretty much directly from aformentioned book, and she has the charisma of a carrot. If you ask her a question (as if the material were somehow HARD to understand), she will mumble a vague answer, go off on a tangent, and then nod whilst saying "yes. yes. okay. yes." to any reply you might have. But there's a silver lining! With all the extra free time we had in that class, my friend and I managed to find a way to locally access the C: drive of every computer in the district, as well as getting ONE LOGIN STEP away from TOTAL REMOTE CONTROL OVER THE ENTIRE SCHOOL DISTRICT NETWORK. :D

Second, administration which cannot...uh...administrate. (Prepare for subjective bitching. Others' views may vary)

My school district is on an elementary/junior/high school system. That is K-6, 7-9, and 10-12. This setup worked awesome. We score consistently above nearby counties on state standardized tests, and have excellent and happy teachers, and have a school-of-choice program! It is/was awesome. But for whatever reason (I heard it was whiny suburbanites who moved to the FREAKING EDGE OF TOWN), the administration decided to build an entire freaking school no more than 2 miles from an existing one. Lo and behold, nobody goes to that school; they're either in another school boundary or school-of-choice out of it. It then, as administration is wont to do, does not admit its mistake and fix the problem the smart way (sell the building or something), but rather decides to f*** up the ENTIRE district. We are shifting to a K-5/6-8/9-12 setup, being forced to eliminate school of choice, piss off teachers, students, and parents, and cripple the AP curriculum since teachers will have to fit extra 9th grade classes into their schedules to handle the influx of 9th graders into high schools. Just so they can save face or something. Grrrr. :evil:

pi-3 orionis

Postby pi-3 orionis » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:42 am UTC

I've talked about this physics teacher in the classes that ruined you thread, but I figure I need to rant about this some more.

Her method of teaching is by quickley going over the basics of the topic in a few minutes. Then giving the class worksheets to learn the more advanced aspects of the subject. And of course, you must work in groups, and by work in groups, I mean, sit next to some people and everybody just works on it individualy and asks "so. . . wadjyou get for bleh" when the teacher walks by. So then an assignment will get assigned and be due the next class. Everyone does the assignment, and it's not terribly difficult, there's nothing that you couldn't learn from reading the text. Then on the day of the due assignment, everyone turns in the homework. She hands out more worksheets. And she draws a check mark on all the homework without even reading through it. One day I think I got my homework handed back to me within one or two minutes of turning it in. An occasionaly question will be asked by a student that was on the homework and she will begin to solve the problem. But she does not finnish the problem. Ever. Then the quiz comes along and the problems presented are much more difficult than any problem that was given for homework. And everyone gets about 50% on the quiz but it doesn't matter cause she grades on a curve or whatever anyway. And she likes to grade problems with the whole 'I don't know anything as I'm grading your test' attitude. So all of my answers have question marks and stuff written all over it. It doesn't matter if I can get the right answer and show my work along the way. I have to do the problem the way she would have done the problem. After the quiz students ask questions. She proceeds to half solve the problem and then lecture us on the material even though we've just taken the test.

hypersoar

Postby hypersoar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:05 am UTC

I had a science teacher in 8th grade who had supposedly majored in geology and knew what she was talking about. A couple weeks into the class, I got into an argument with her about satellites. She contended that they experience weightlessness because they're far enough away from Earth to not experience significant gravitational pull. She asked that I back down, as she didn't want the rest of the class confused with wrong explanations.
There is no god. If you would like to dispute this, contact me and I will happily debate the issue.

tehmikey

Postby tehmikey » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

hypersoar wrote:I had a science teacher in 8th grade who had supposedly majored in geology and knew what she was talking about. A couple weeks into the class, I got into an argument with her about satellites. She contended that they experience weightlessness because they're far enough away from Earth to not experience significant gravitational pull. She asked that I back down, as she didn't want the rest of the class confused with wrong explanations.

This makes me sad.

In my case, I had a pre-calculus teacher who always had to leave in the middle of the lecture to verify what she was doing with other teachers. In one instance, she taught the class the wrong method for solving a problem which produced incorrect answers. On the day of the test, she merely stated that she made a mistake and spent the first 10 minutes of class showing us the proper way to do it. Epic fail IMO.

Kilogolf

Postby Kilogolf » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:44 am UTC

hypersoar wrote:I had a science teacher in 8th grade who had supposedly majored in geology and knew what she was talking about. A couple weeks into the class, I got into an argument with her about satellites. She contended that they experience weightlessness because they're far enough away from Earth to not experience significant gravitational pull. She asked that I back down, as she didn't want the rest of the class confused with wrong explanations.

ha, that reminds me, in 8th grade, I had this somewhat amazing teacher.

now, I say somewhat because of the following argument I had with her.

I don't remember exactly what it was, but, here are the main points (we were measuring mass with triple balance scales at the time.)

me: these wouldn't work in orbit
her: yeah, they would, objects still have mass in outer space
me: yeah, they still have mass, but these work by comparing the weight of a mass to the weight of another mass.
her: no they don't, the compare the masses of each mass to another mass.
me: but how? by using gravity, in orbit, you only have microgravity affecting you locally, these would not work!
her: yes they would
me walks away thinking "dumbass"

My current english teacher gives political lectures which I'm not even sure he can legally give. like, he tells it from such a liberal standpoint that I've seriously considered becoming a libertarian just to piss him off. (and let's not have a flame war about this, the point is that I'm not sure he can legally give those lectures)

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:49 am UTC

Oh, man. Oh fucking man. My English teacher right now... God, I don't know how a college with supposedly good standards can hire people that are so RETARDED. She's so contradictory-- on my paper, she said "you have to cite your ideas, not just your quotations" but all semester she's told us to create our own ideas based on our research. Well, WHICH IS IT? She treats us like we're in an upper-level English class, which is not good.

Also, my physics teacher senior year sucked. He'd give us tests AND have us turn in homework that day with stuff that's on the test (isn't that what he's supposed to be explaining so we can do well on that test?) AND give us homework for the next day. What a fucktard. I got the worst grade of my high school career in that class.
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

Marlon

Postby Marlon » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I had a sub teacher the other day for Science, really irritating, mean lady. While we were doing the work, the stupid woman put on an incredibly loud and obnoxious radio station on her laptop, which was somewhat distracting, so I complained, yet she didn't turn it off. The work was fairly easy so the people at my table started talking, and because she dislikes me more than anyone else in the class, she claimed I wasn't working. I had done more work than many of the other people in the class. Eventually she moved me to the other side of the class, despite me showing her how much work I'd done. The substitutes at my school suck.

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:45 am UTC

Gah! I was assigned 20 probability problems! As in "Jamie has 4 purple marbles, 3 blue marbles, 1 white marble... what is the probability of randomly picking..." and I'm a high school senior! And this is an honors class! I'm just glad the back of the book has the answers...

Edit: This is precisely the reason why I hate math this year: we're assigned such repetitive, tedious homework that I either have to on B.S. the work so I can get it done in time, or actually learn the material, yet get a bad grade because I don't turn in my homework. And I can't make up for my bad homework grade on the tests considering that she times them and I normally need an extra 5-10 minutes after class to finish just about any test. (I'm sick the assumption that I'm bad at math because it takes me longer!)

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:19 am UTC

I really don't want to throw a current teacher of mine in, but any time a teacher tells me I did too much research, sirens go off in my head.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

Currently we have a teacher who, if we ask that he explains something to us, gets angry, says "If you don't understand this you are an idiot" and then walks away while pulling his hair.

At 6th-9th grade I had an english teacher who would pull my grades because "The words you are using in this text are too advanced for the level of this class". This was after I had used the words distinguish, desintegrate and crave in a paper :(

Also I had this lovely gym teacher at some point, who refused to give me final grades (which you need if you want to pass and to continue on to the next class) until I had run the Cooper-test. At this point I was on crutches with a broken knee. Her approach was something along the lines of "I don't care if your knee is broken and I don't care what your doctor says, if you do not take this test I can't give you a grade in this class", this was at the end of the year and I had up until then participated in every class and test she had. It all ended with me doing the Cooper-test on crutches.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

shizam

Postby shizam » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

My physics teacher told us on the first day of class that her class would involve absolutely no math.
*sigh*
......nah

Kilogolf

Postby Kilogolf » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

shizam wrote:My physics teacher told us on the first day of class that her class would involve absolutely no math.
*sigh*

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you, or to laugh at the inaccuracy of the quote, it all depends on the answer to "have you had any math involved?"

shizam

Postby shizam » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Our only grades this year have been vocab quizzes. So, I know the book's definition of polarization, but that's more memorization and regurgitation than actual understanding.
......nah

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:37 am UTC

shizam wrote:My physics teacher told us on the first day of class that her class would involve absolutely no math.
*sigh*

It'd be even funnier if you used my physics book that called physics the most mathematical of the sciences throughout the book.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:03 am UTC

My forth grade teacher was...well, as much as I hate the word it perfectly describes her...she was a raging xenophobic cunt. She had a mad anger problem, slamming chairs around in raging fits, she made thinly vieled racist tangents, and once riddiculed a kid to tears because she took riddelin.

My freshman science teacher was...interesting. She was really strict, but she seemed more favoritive to the white students and I heard from friends of mine that I trust that she made some distasteful, off-hand comments to them.

My creative writing teacher was annoying, too: First off, a lot of his lectures were about his trying to get into hollywood, his life story, and plugging his children books like a crazed used car salesman. He would also get crazy political, and unlike my previous shit teachers, prefered the retarded ways of homophobia, going as far as to say that homosexuality was exactly like pedophillia. He just pissed me off to hell and I learned more from my classmates then from that bloated douchebag.

Currently, I have a pretty bad Spanish teacher. First off, I would be surprised if she's known English for longer then a year. I would think being fluent in both Spanish and English would be a requirement even in a small community college. She also likes cramming a LOT of shit into huge exams where you almost had no choice but to cram. It also sucks in that it also counts as a lab and yet she doesn't seem to know a whole lot about computers.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:21 am UTC

The English teacher, who teaches my English class managed to PO me after only 2 hours. She lives in Germany since a few years and became interested in a local soccer team because there is a player of the same nationality as her in it. She spends more time talking to us about it (at least in English) than actually teaching.
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Return to “School”