A blank slate can go into almost any career.

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Deskchair Intellectual

A blank slate can go into almost any career.

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:16 am UTC

I'm 13 yers old, and going to high school next year.
I need to think about what i want to do for a living, and I thought it'd be fun to ask the XKCD forum people, what I should do?

You can ask questions about my interest to see what might suit me, but here's a general overveiw of what I may be suited for.

I do well in the sciences, and I've always been fond of researching. I do not like doing experiments though.
I do best in what I consider the 'natural' sciences, such as Biology, and Astronomy.
I have a knack for math, so long as I know the formulas, and in extreme cases, given a little bit of time, I can figure out my own formulas. I generally learn the steps on how to do them, and then wrap my head around them so to speak later. I tend to make arithmetic errors though, often miswriting numbers or silly things like that.
I am not a good writer. That might be something I need to work on, or something I need to avoid.
I can draw, but atm, it's mostly a hobby.It's moer artistic than generic 13 year old anime style, and less artistic than doing amazing abstract art or realistic portriats. I realize I can pull crap art out of my ass and bs some meaning behind it though, like not drawing faces and claiming it's so the veiwer can insert themselves into it.

Alright, go.
14 year old, spends her life reading links of Wikipedia articles and webcomics.

Solt

Re: A blank slate can go into almost any career.

Postby Solt » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:35 am UTC

I think most people are going to tell you that 13 is far too young to decide what career you want. At your age you should be exploring and developing your basic skills and, just as important, your interests. You probably don't really have a sense yet of what most careers consist of, and you will pick up more of that in high school, both on the academic side (for example, learning math that is useless in every day life but essential in many fields) and on the practical side.

Be curious and keep your options open. Try out as many new things as you can, and figure out what you enjoy.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:39 am UTC

What you should do for a living?

First, finish high school. Then go to college and study something you're interested in. Maybe change your mind about what you're interested in and consequently change your major. Maybe two or three times. Then, decide what you're still interested in, and either study that more, or find a job that includes it. Or, find a job that includes something completely different that you'd never even considered before. Like teaching English or working in real estate. Then, uh... dunno. Take up some hobbies. Maybe amateur photography or professional kite-flying.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:41 am UTC

Just do physics because it's awesome, hahaha.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Habanero

Postby Habanero » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:46 am UTC

Let's not forget that even after you get your college degree, you may end up in an entirely different field just because you discover you like it. I agree with the above. Cover all your basics in high school. Learn the subject matter offered in the curriculum and ready yourself for college.

You'll figure out the rest in due time.
Why make things difficult when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogical with just a little bit more effort?

Deskchair Intellectual

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:49 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Just do physics because it's awesome, hahaha.

I hate physics. So boring.
Unless you are talking quantem mechanics and shiz, it all goes through one ear and out the other.

To everyone else: You think I don't know that already?
This is not Srs Bizness, where you discuss how early a kid should be thinking about college.
I'm just thinking.
I like getting opinions from people, as my parents are like, 'Do whatever your heart tells you to do!'
And everyone else doesn't care, and I..
Well, I don't know.
So I'd just like some discussion and ideas.
This is not about me personally, or giving me advice, or whatever.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:54 am UTC

Deskchair Intellectual wrote:

Unless you are talking quantem mechanics and shiz, it all goes through one ear and out the other.

You have to get the boring stuff out of the way to get to the interesting stuff :-).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

King

Postby King » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:59 am UTC

Actually I think that was what you put forward as the point of the topic.

A good start to finding a career would be to learn how to spell things correctly.

That said I agree with what has been said above, theres really know hurry. Hell, I've alreadly finished high school and started uni and I still don't know what I want to do.
Yesterday never was, and tomorrow never will be.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:00 am UTC

Do a language. You will be able to talk to more people, and you will be more employable.

I wrote several replies to this thread, and various posts within it, but I don't think my advice is welcome here. It mostly revolves around what not to do, and sadly that's everything that I did.

I'll tell you anyway.

- Don't pick subjects because your friends are doing them.
- Don't drop a subject because it's not cool.
- Think long and hard before choosing a subject that is "easy". Chances are, you will hate it and get bored.
- Do science and maths, and art, and a language. And something else. Diversity is the mother of a well-paid career.
- Listen to your teachers and guidance people. They probably know what to do.

Yeah, I still don't have a career planned as yet, and I'm two weeks away from leaving school forever. I'm not going to varsity/college, and I'm probably working around the vineyards and orchards for a while. It's probably not a good idea to go to college without at least some plan of what you want to do, but then I don't understand the student loan/money scheme in your country.

((Holy crap, are you the youngest person here?))

And in reply to your post above, try becoming a nurse. They can save lives.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Deskchair Intellectual

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:10 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:

You have to get the boring stuff out of the way to get to the interesting stuff :-).

That's true, but I couldn't stand it, and I wouldn't get much money anyways.
pollywog:I wouldn't do the first two, I'd only pick an 'easy' subject as a space filler, or just not take a class for that.
I intend on doing a wide range of things, even doing a little bit of stuff I don't like, just to be sure I know what I'm doing, and my parents are making sure they have enough money for me to spend some college time finding what I'm doing, so being sure to do a little bit of everything seems like a good plan. As for languages, I'm gonna be forced into learning Spanish before I start college anyways.
My parents are smart and I consider them big guidance people, and I'm gonna go to college near them for sure.

This is completely unrelated, but my Science teacher is incredibly awesome.
When someone asked what Fire was, on the whole Solid Liquid Gas thing, and she said Plasma!
Oh me yarm, that made my entire week.

I'm not doing any loans or money schemes, my parents are saving up, so.

Deskchair Intellectual

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:12 am UTC

King wrote:

Actually I think that was what you put forward as the point of the topic.

A good start to finding a career would be to learn how to spell things correctly.

That said I agree with what has been said above, theres really know hurry. Hell, I've alreadly finished high school and started uni and I still don't know what I want to do.

Well, maybe I don't want to be like you. I perfer to plan things out.

I'm actually a superb speller, I just make lots of typos.
Unfortunately, I don't get graded on spelling tests any more. Heh.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:20 am UTC

Deskchair Intellectual wrote:I'm 13 yers old, and going to high school next year.
I've always been fond of researching.

Am I the only one who missed this? Future comedian or child prodigy?
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"
William Strunk, Jr.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:27 am UTC

Amicitia wrote:
Deskchair Intellectual wrote:I'm 13 yers old, and going to high school next year.

Depends on where she is - Highschool in Aus is year 7-12.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Deskchair Intellectual

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:30 am UTC

Amicitia wrote:

Wikipedia's mental disorder pages are some of my favorite things to read. But it's mostly just non-school related research for now. It'll come up someday, though.

Deskchair Intellectual

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:33 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Amicitia wrote:

Depends on where she is - Highschool in Aus is year 7-12.

I'm in the US. 9-12.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:34 am UTC

I wish Aus bothered with advanced school courses.. then maybe I wouldn't have such a shitty work/study ethic.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:43 am UTC

The only high school that does some research and really advanced stuff is Phillips, and it's a bigger institution than most colleges. Whoops, forgot the New York specialized schools and Andover.

Asides from that, I think it's kind of repulsive that 13 year olds are already obsessed with career. When I was 13, I just did math. That was it.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

pollywog

Postby pollywog » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:48 am UTC

Amicitia wrote:Asides from that, I think it's kind of repulsive that 13 year olds are already obsessed with career. When I was 13, I just did math. That was it.

It could actually be a good idea. If every 13 year old could decide on a career, and stick with it relatively well, we wouldn't have such high unemployment.
i'm fucking magic

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:02 am UTC

pollywog wrote:If every 13 year old could decide on a career, and stick with it relatively well, we wouldn't have such high unemployment.

Why? Sorry but that sounds like total bs.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

pollywog

Postby pollywog » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:08 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
pollywog wrote:If every 13 year old could decide on a career, and stick with it relatively well, we wouldn't have such high unemployment.

If everyone has a job, and had that job for life, starting when they were 13, there wouldn't be as much unemployment. Sure there would be a great many other negatives, but low unemployment!
i'm fucking magic

Oblivious Bear
is Oblivious

Postby Oblivious Bear » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:23 am UTC

I'm going to advocate indecision here. Not "wait until later to decide what you want to do with your life" indecision, but "study what interests you and then see what jobs you can get once you're sick of school" indecision. Short-term gratification is the bomb - also, if all else fails, you can get a Ph.D. and become a professor. Tenure is really easy to get these days in the US, and while you'll never be rich, you'll never starve, either - and depending on the subject, you might be getting paid to talk about books/math/whatever with 20 year olds the rest of your life.

Then again, you really shouldn't take my advice. I'm only 3 years ahead of you in age and 5 years in grade level, and I'm majoring in English with a minor in Philosophy - if you care about money, success, or even avoiding starvation, listening to me is not the way to go.

On an unrelated note, if any of you know of good graduate (with a doctorate option or without) English programs (either in or out of the US) other than Amherst's, please PM me. I have two years before I need to start applying, but it's never too early.
Serious? What's that?

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:36 am UTC

pollywog wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:

If everyone has a job, and had that job for life, starting when they were 13, there wouldn't be as much unemployment. Sure there would be a great many other negatives, but low unemployment!

Childhood math is most productive because of the absence of worldly worries, and I think Wiener would agree with me on that.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

Deskchair Intellectual

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:28 pm UTC

Amicitia wrote:The only high school that does some research and really advanced stuff is Phillips, and it's a bigger institution than most colleges. Whoops, forgot the New York specialized schools and Andover.

Asides from that, I think it's kind of repulsive that 13 year olds are already obsessed with career. When I was 13, I just did math. That was it.

Obsessed?
Who said I was obsessed?
I'm just thinking about it, and I thought it might be interesting for some XKCD people to think about it.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:38 pm UTC

Oblivious Bear wrote:I'm going to advocate indecision here. Not "wait until later to decide what you want to do with your life" indecision, but "study what interests you and then see what jobs you can get once you're sick of school" indecision. Short-term gratification is the bomb - also, if all else fails, you can get a Ph.D. and become a professor. Tenure is really easy to get these days in the US, and while you'll never be rich, you'll never starve, either - and depending on the subject, you might be getting paid to talk about books/math/whatever with 20 year olds the rest of your life.

Then again, you really shouldn't take my advice. I'm only 3 years ahead of you in age and 5 years in grade level, and I'm majoring in English with a minor in Philosophy - if you care about money, success, or even avoiding starvation, listening to me is not the way to go.

On an unrelated note, if any of you know of good graduate (with a doctorate option or without) English programs (either in or out of the US) other than Amherst's, please PM me. I have two years before I need to start applying, but it's never too early.

How much to you think a tenured professor makes at a public university in the US?
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:44 pm UTC

It's good to have something that you want to do when you're out of high school, but as others have said, prepare for that to change. Life may or may not throw a wide variety of spanners into any well-laid plans, or you could simply change your mind. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do at 13 and I was lucky enough to get a course and, subsequently, a job that is in that field, but SO MUCH will change over the next five years for any 13 year old that it would be silly to make any concrete plans.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

Solt wrote:I think most people are going to tell you that 13 is far too young to decide what career you want. At your age you should be exploring and developing your basic skills and, just as important, your interests.
BS! [In a nice way. :) ] I knew I was gonna be a programmer since I first played on a computer in 2nd grade. That said, I very much know that I'm the exception, not the rule.

My only advice, Deskchair, is to not rule anything out and to be open to ideas. Try out anything you can because you never know if you'll like it or not until you try.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:18 pm UTC

Don't hesitate to make salary a factor in chosing a line of work. Money isn't everything, but being poor sucks. Good pay shouldn't be the only factor in chosing a job, but it definitely should be a factor.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:22 pm UTC

Plastics!

That or an astronaut. Commercial space pilots are gonna be necessary in the future, so start preparing for a potential job market.

In more serious advice... Well I got nothing that ain't already been said.
This space intentionally left blank.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:27 pm UTC

You sound like you'd be inclined towards the sciences, maybe something like chemical engineering perhaps. Then again, four years from now you might turn around and realize you want to do psychology instead--I know one person who ended up doing that.

Point is, I didn't have any idea what I wanted to do, field-wise, until I was 16-17. And even then it was only a vague idea; I didn't settle into it until around 20-21 in college. So, it's fine to have a general idea of the kinds of things you like, and just go with that. College selections, majors, and jobs, will all come as a result of that.

You sound as if you're not stressed out about it at all, so I'd say you're doing fine. KF
~Kizyr

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:53 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:

That's true, but I couldn't stand it, and I wouldn't get much money anyways.

physics can get you plenty of money i assure you. physics is fundamentally the broadest of the sciences, in that you get an overview of far more of the universe but don't delve so deep into the nitty gritty (until later anyway). if you are finding it boring it could be that your teacher, while being a good chemisty + biology teacher, is not so hot with teh physics. you say QM is interesting and you like astronomy (both very much physics) what are the bits that you don't like?
in ur beanz makin u eveel

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

look at it like this:
Grade school is to teach you the basic skills needed to learn, ie. your readin', figurin', letters...
Secondary school (high school) is to teach you HOW to learn. This is one of the more important things that I think gets missed in the American public education system. Take a wide variety or courses (as has already been said). But the really important thing is learning how to successfully master new subject material. Take as much higher level math and as many foreign languages as you can with out going insane. Learn how to write! There is no faster way to look ignorant than a poorly written email, letter, report or essay.

After secondary school: you don't necessarily have to go to college. I'm going to get shot but, learning a trade that you both enjoy and are skilled at is not a bad way to go. Look at the military. Consider ALL of your options (and do this before your senior year, say about junior year or so). Take some time to travel if that's an option. If college is the way to go, that's good. All of the plans you made in high school will have been changed by this time anyways (if not totally at least a small amount).

Other suggestions that have been missed:
-Read for fun
-Read the newspaper, both local and international
-Do math without a calculator when you can
-Get a job. Nothing that takes away time from school or your social life though. Just something to put some money in your pocket and teaches you how to deal with the inanity that is the public.
-Spend more time with your family and close friends and less time in front of the XBox-en

It's good to be thinking about these things now, but damnit, be a kid. You have lots of time to think about this stuff.
(now i'm going to get off of my family values soap box and get back to the job that they pay me to do)
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:01 pm UTC

Amicitia wrote:The only high school that does some research and really advanced stuff is Phillips, and it's a bigger institution than most colleges. Whoops, forgot the New York specialized schools and Andover.

I'm pretty sure that by "research" she means "reading about stuff from authoritative sources" ie, the kind of research you would do to write an essay or prepare an argument. Wikipedia, that kind of stuff.

While I still say keep your options open, and while I don't regret going into engineering, if I could do it again I would have tried to get into the Air Force Academy and become a fighter pilot. If you want to do this, it is something that you should be thinking about at your age because you need to be in good physical shape, need to demonstrate leadership and academic talent, and you need to do some fairly crazy things. Like get a letter of recommendation from one of your state congressmen (!). Basically, if you can get admitted into the Air Force Academy you win the first 18 or so years of your life.

And what's a cooler job than flying around in $100 million machines at mach 2 all day?

Not to mention if you leave the military you'll get hired almost anywhere because military leadership training is supposed to be second to none.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:11 pm UTC

Amicitia wrote:

The thing is, the fact that she uses the Internet (MySpace, Facebook, GameFAQs, YouTube, ect. =/= Internet) automatically makes her more intelligent than most people her age. Most 13-year-olds on the Internet are completely different from most 13-year-olds in real-life.

jskyhawk

Postby jskyhawk » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:18 pm UTC

a few pearls of wisdom for you. and btw I feel its never to early/late to learn, and with focus. you will have many interests in your life, some will come and some will go.

one of my late mentors had this to day
"If you can't wake up and goto work/school with a smile on your face, don't go."

similar to what Mark Twain says about working/ being successful.
"The secret of success is to make your vocation your vacation."

and from personal experience, there is no one correct path to doing what makes you happy and/or successful... which are separate things. I had a blast through grade school, dropped out in high school. started to educate myself rather than taking the fluff. went back for a degree (3 actually electronics/electrical/computer engineer) and now and am happy and successful multi-faceted engineer. If I could write myself a letter and send it to my 13 yr old self I would recommend to simply read +1.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
-Douglas Adams

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

Whoa, you're deciding what you're going to be at thirteen? More important thing to do in highschool: Decide who you are right now.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

In high school, at least at my high school, there is not much choice. There's the choice between AP Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Environmental science. Physics and chemistry are harder and require more math.

In math, there's pretty much a set progression.

So basically you don't have a choice in high school. If you take the advanced classes, your selection is very limited.

Relax. It's not that it's not a good idea to think about, but you can't really do anything about it, beyond maybe taking a CS class if you're interested and your school offers it. I'll point out that all of the smart kids in my class took basically the same classes. Those who went into engineering, those who went into business, etc.

The only exceptions are music and CS (where your school may not even offer those courses).
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

theonemephisto

Postby theonemephisto » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:43 am UTC

Likpok wrote:In high school, at least at my high school, there is not much choice. There's the choice between AP Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Environmental science. Physics and chemistry are harder and require more math.

In math, there's pretty much a set progression.

So basically you don't have a choice in high school. If you take the advanced classes, your selection is very limited.

My high school is pretty good about advanced math courses, something which I am very thankful for. They're letting me take Multivariable calc as a junior, and I'm also taking a Differential Equations independent study through UVA, which is nice. I've also heard that as a senior they'll probably be letting me out to take math courses at UVA, which is pretty much amazing.

Of course, I get the idea that my experience isn't quite normal and that most high schools just push you to do well on standardized tests/push you into standard APs so that they can look better.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:00 am UTC

If you're planning to go to college, APs can be useful after all, even if people have intellectual objections to them. My APs saved me a ton of money by getting me out of a bunch of required general education subjects (like English 1000 and such) and enabling me to start on my sequences early. Plus, I am now classified as a junior in my second year of school, and this does get you some nice precedence benefits, depending on the college.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to try taking some classes at a local college. It costs money, but you can take some classes that a high school wouldn't offer. Also, get involved in extracurricular clubs, or debate, or oral interp, or newspaper, or science club, or whatever's available. Basically, what the older and more experienced people are saying above - don't focus on finding the One True Career Path, mess around with things and see what you like.

Of course, all this is based on my high school memories...I've purged from my memories most recollections of middle school, so I'm not sure how to help you at the age you're at.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

BVD

Postby BVD » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:05 am UTC

King wrote:A good start to finding a career would be to learn how to spell things correctly.

ahem! ::looks at second line::

DI, I know that we aren't really playing along very well, but even those of us that are only in college (/uni, overseas) are kind of wary about giving any 13 year old, even a smart one, advice about what to do with their (her?) life on the chance that we're taken seriously. I had someone tell me when I was your age (I'm sorry, I hope that doesn't sound patronizing; I know I'm only half a dozen years older than you are) that I would make a great engineer....and so all through high school I thought of myself as a future engineer. I ignored the fact that I enjoyed my english and history classes much more than my math classes, didn't do my research about what the day-to-day existence of an engineer looked like, got myself into a prestigious engineering program....and it sucked. Now I know that it was foolish of me to put that much stock in what others said, and I get the impression that you're smarter than that, but I'd prefer not to put ideas in your head, y'know? So I'll echo what others have said and suggest that you don't focus in on any one thing too quickly. If your high school offers any courses in the social sciences (sociology, psychology, etc) you might want to take a look at some of those, too.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:07 am UTC

My high school is pretty good about advanced math courses, something which I am very thankful for. They're letting me take Multivariable calc as a junior, and I'm also taking a Differential Equations independent study through UVA, which is nice. I've also heard that as a senior they'll probably be letting me out to take math courses at UVA, which is pretty much amazing.

But you still have the standard progression. You go through algebra, geometry, algebra 2, precalculus, calculus, multivar, diffeqs and/or linear algebra.

The classes you end up taking are dependent on what you've taken before. It's not like history where (at the high school level) the courses are largely independant (i.e., World history, Modern Euro, US History, Econ, Political Science can be taken in any order, although schools may have regulations/traditions about who takes certain classes).
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

Return to “School”