seats in class

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

do you sit in the same set every day in class

yes i have assigned seats
10%
yes even tho they arent assigned
39%
yes i try to
16%
no but i sit in the same general area
26%
no i sit where ever
6%
no i sit in your set randomly
3%

Total votes: 251

d3adf001

seats in class

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

so ive had this class for over 12 weeks and always sit in the same seat, but today someone else was sitting in it. im pretty anal about seating and was wondering if i was the only one. personal i thought it was an unspoken rule that everyone knew.
Last edited by d3adf001 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shizo

Re: seats in class

Postby Shizo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

i gave up my assigned seat so a hot chick could talk with her friends without yelling across the room. the seat is also in the front row. score. i erase random doodles and stuff from my desks, though. seriously, keep it on paper.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

agreed. I had a class where I had the same seat for the first four weeks, then someone that somehow managed to miss the first 4 weeks started sitting in it. I was peeved.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

Most of my classes, not enough people come to lecture/discussion for there to be any competition for seats. People generally sit in the same sections of ten or so seats.
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

sethicus wrote:agreed. I had a class where I had the same seat for the first four weeks, then someone that somehow managed to miss the first 4 weeks started sitting in it. I was peeved.

well you have to go to class since theres a quiz every class. (meets once a week)

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:50 pm UTC

Shizo wrote:i gave up my assigned seat so a hot chick could talk with her friends without yelling across the room. the seat is also in the front row. score. i erase random doodles and stuff from my desks, though. seriously, keep it on paper.

I doodle back. Sometimes it can get interesting.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

I usually sit in the same seat but I'll jump around when the mood strikes me (e.g. to sit next to a cute girl.) Seating isn't exactly assigned (this is college not freaking middle school), so if you don't like me moving around you can go to hell =P
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:14 pm UTC

Will wrote:I usually sit in the same seat but I'll jump around when the mood strikes me (e.g. to sit next to a cute girl.) Seating isn't exactly assigned (this is college not freaking middle school), so if you don't like me moving around you can go to hell =P

well i like to sit near the front left so i can look at my paper and the board at the same time (im left handed) except for tests i sit as far from the exit so i dont get distracted from people going in and out and when i finish first i get to walk past everyone. its psychological warfare. im glad you arent in my class because i start to panic when my seats taken even if its not assigned if i set there i plan on sitting there for the rest of the semester.

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:17 pm UTC

I came late to class once and had to sit next to the professor :oops:

I always have the same seat for that class too ><x
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:29 pm UTC

I have classes where everyone sits in the same general area, but the exact ordering and positioning of empty seats varies day-to-day. In fact, this represents prettymuch every class I've ever had in a lecture hall or regular classroom. In computer labs, though, everyone more or less has "their" PC. Not because any data is on them (there isn't) or for talking (that's what AIM is for!) but because of some strange possessive force.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:42 pm UTC

When I saw this seat, I thought of that incident with the seating from the first episode of Haruhi.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

If I'm flying economy, I prefer a window seat over the wing.

Wait, what?

upstreamcurrent

Postby upstreamcurrent » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

At my school, with the exception of the large lectures, everyone sits in the same seat every time. It's kind of strange, when you think about it, an entire school that will always sit in whatever seat they happen to sit in on the first day of class.

Maybe most schools are like that and I just have a very poor sample, does anyone else notice this phenomenon?

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:04 am UTC

upstreamcurrent wrote:At my school, with the exception of the large lectures, everyone sits in the same seat every time. It's kind of strange, when you think about it, an entire school that will always sit in whatever seat they happen to sit in on the first day of class.

Maybe most schools are like that and I just have a very poor sample, does anyone else notice this phenomenon?

even with 300+ people lecture halls i still sit in the exact same seat. i had a few class in on to the largest halls on campus and for my first one i was 3rd seat in 10th row form the front for macro i was front row middle seat in the second section form the right and for chem i was the seat that the projector was over in the middle of the class. these were from 2 years ago and i still remember them for some reason. i think im ocd about this because in a class i have now they added 6 tables to the room and i walked into class monday and there was no table where i use to sit and i wondered around the room for 5 minutes or so(these tables are the 6 person tables too)

Verator

Postby Verator » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:15 am UTC

upstreamcurrent wrote:At my school, with the exception of the large lectures, everyone sits in the same seat every time. It's kind of strange, when you think about it, an entire school that will always sit in whatever seat they happen to sit in on the first day of class.

Yes, it's generally always true, that after the first 2 weeks or so, if they don't get locked, they'll stay that exact same arrangement.

In my AP Euro Hist class we can just sit wherever, and every day this group of people ends up sitting somewhere different because they get there kinda late. Lately though, all of the brown [Re: Arabs and Indian kids] moved into one corner of the room, so us Anglicans and Caucasians were thinking of launching crusades on them.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:20 am UTC

I've found it to be the same. There is often a little shuffling in the first weeks. With larger lectures the variation increases, but it seems most people sit in the same seats, or the same row, or the same area.

For Labs we kinda have to sit in the same place, having an assigned demonstrator.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:09 am UTC

After the first couple class periods, I have not really moved from my regular seat. The seat is almost always in the back (so I can plug in my laptop and, er, "take notes" like I'm doing right now in calculus), and I try to be in the corner so I have more privacy.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:43 am UTC

Hmm. How bizarre. Laying claim to a seat? This was the general case in second level I suppose, but in university, with classes ranging anywhere from 100 to 300 there was no real continuity of seating. I always had to sit on the edge, though, because a lot of my lectures were two hours long and I'd either need to make a bathroom visit or leave...really, in the last year I'm not sure I sat through a two hour lecture in its entirety.

In an exam I preferred to sit as close to the exit as possible, but it was better for me to sit far far away as I usually had to spend the duration of an exam fighting the urge to flee. I'd be far less inclined to leave early if I had to walk past the exam hall population.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:50 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Hmm. How bizarre. Laying claim to a seat? This was the general case in second level I suppose, but in university, with classes ranging anywhere from 100 to 300 there was no real continuity of seating. I always had to sit on the edge, though, because a lot of my lectures were two hours long and I'd either need to make a bathroom visit or leave...really, in the last year I'm not sure I sat through a two hour lecture in its entirety.

I see more people tending to sit in the same spot than actually laying claim to a seat. I've haven't yet seen someone complain 'you're in my seat'.

Off topic, on lecture length, I almost refuse to attend a lecture that is less than 2 hours. 1st year chemistry (and physics too, it turns out) have a lecture format of three one hour lectures a week, that seem to usually go under time. One <1 hour lecture at 6pm? Not enough to get me to uni.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:54 am UTC

ive never complained to a person in the seat that i normally sit but ive had people tell me that i couldnt sit next to them or that they were saving it. (i hate when stuck up sorority bitches "save" seats but they never come and you have to walk around the room looking for a class because you are late.)

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:32 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:If I'm flying economy, I prefer a window seat over the wing.

Wait, what?

I like left side behind the wing. Row 30-35ish in a 757 2-class configuration.
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:02 am UTC

I like to sit behind the wing, because then I get to see the flaps and speed brakes deploy.
I still remember my seats in high school. Every one for each class.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 am UTC

Shizo wrote:i gave up my assigned seat so a hot chick could talk with her friends without yelling across the room. the seat is also in the front row. score. i erase random doodles and stuff from my desks, though. seriously, keep it on paper.

Aww, I occassionally write on the desks, normally in hopes of giving the next person a bit of a giggle. I think last time I wrote

"I am slowly going crazy
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Switch
Crazy going slowly am I
6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Switch"

for a couple hundred times. It was a loooong week. Normally I do use paper. And I always sit in the same seat, along with all my friends.
~Kat

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:09 am UTC

I always have my preferred seat, but I don't mind if someone occupies it as long as I'm in the same general quadrant. I prefer within the front two rows, within one or two seats of the middle to the right. As far as everyone in class goes, they tend to have their claim on seats too. The only time I've ever gotten a bit off about it (even though I never said anything) was the day after the group of asshats who sit in the back right corner of the class got chewed out by the professor, and I walked in to find they had completely filled my quadrant. I was on the far right and felt way out of my depth the whole lecture. It was odd.

And Kat, that is absolutely amazing. I'm tempted to do that now. even if I can't bring myself to write on the desks, I'll just leave the sheet of paper or something. Or cover the desk with post-it notes.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:22 am UTC

Just use pencil. It'll get cleaned eventually, by someone just as bored by you. Or in my case, I came back the next class to see that someone wrote a couple times that "Idle hands are the Devil's playthings" or something to that extent. I think I got a couple of Jack lines too "All work and no play..."

But yeah, pencil tends to rub off just by using the desk, and it's not exceptionally difficult to clean.
~Kat

Dyo

Postby Dyo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:24 am UTC

'cos you know, if you don't have control over what chair you sit in, you don't have control over anything!

Usually.

I do understand though... we all have our peccadilloes...

Personally, I learned a while ago that stuff like that just doesn't matter. It's best to move on.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:32 am UTC

We've got assigned seating in one of my classes, but that's mostly due to the configuration of the room and the necessity of terminal use--your files are only available on your assigned terminal. Granted, you do get to choose your seat, though.

Otherwise, yeah, everybody just takes the same spot every day anyway. It's kind of funny like that. The only times I don't do such things are when I'm in a large class, and that hasn't happened recently.

Will wrote:I usually sit in the same seat but I'll jump around when the mood strikes me (e.g. to sit next to a cute girl.)

Dude...there are girls? I mean, seriously, my department is a major league sausage fest. This is admittedly due to a cultural onerous against women in science and engineering disciplines that I do not understand. Of course, that's another problem for another board.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:32 am UTC

ZeroSum wrote:

Same here. Writing messages to other people is fun.

And for one of my classes, there's a left handed desk in the class. Just one. I'm a lefty, so it's nice to have it. However, it always MOVES AROUND. So it's a pain to find where to sit.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 am UTC

I always, always, sit in the same place.

I suspect it's part of my personality.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:43 am UTC

I tend to start near the back and then work my way to the front row over the first few weeks of class. Once I get there, though, I'll pick a seat and stick with it.
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:52 am UTC

i decided to make it a poll. im pretty sure its a think that people with higher intelligence levels tend to sit in the same set after reading this and talking to my friends.

jamanjaman

Postby jamanjaman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:15 am UTC

i like to sit in the back and watch heads turn when i recite and kick everyone's ass :)

i do it to practice my voice modulation so the teacher can hear me all the way from the front.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:07 am UTC

Aluminus wrote:I like to sit behind the wing, because then I get to see the flaps and speed brakes deploy.

You mean you get high off the unnerving realization that "there really isn't much to one of these planes!" too!? It's almost like a feeling of impending doom but with an element of "whatever, I'm comfortable with that" tied to it.

Verator

Postby Verator » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:11 am UTC

wing wrote:
Aluminus wrote:I like to sit behind the wing, because then I get to see the flaps and speed brakes deploy.

You mean you get high off the unnerving realization that "there really isn't much to one of these planes!" too!? It's almost like a feeling of impending doom but with an element of "whatever, I'm comfortable with that" tied to it.

lol at the irony of your name and this post. I get the exact opposite. Every time I sit in a plane, I look at how tiny the thrusters are, and am just awed and impressed and respectful of the accomplishments of mankind.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:52 am UTC

When I was in highschool everyone would usually sit in the same place every day (but different places for different classes, sometimes).

In uni, obviously there are no assigned seats but I usually sit in roughly the same area.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:45 am UTC

Seating arrangments for me: Un assigned.

English: Back 'row' (Desks are in a H shape) second seat from the right
History: See English.
Physics: Back row: Second seat from the left
Bible: Back row: Third seat from the left
Maths: Back row: Far left single seat
Business Management: Backrow: Second seat from the right.

So now if anyone comes to my school they'll know where I sit if they try to kill me.

(Lucky I don't have anymore classes this year.)
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:15 pm UTC

sethicus wrote:agreed. I had a class where I had the same seat for the first four weeks, then someone that somehow managed to miss the first 4 weeks started sitting in it. I was peeved.

That kind of happened to me. People just don't come to the lecture section I'm in (they go to a different one, even though they're registered to be in mine), so there's a nice variety of seats to choose from, and I get to sit in the same one ever class. But after the midterm this year, you had to pick them up in your OWN lecture section, so everyone who was registered for the class came back and sat in my (along with everyone else's who bothered to regularly show up) seat. But meh, it was only for one class.

Besides, that only works in classes of 30 people or less; I have an intro economics course where there's > 200 people in it, so you don't get a regular seat unless you get there 10 minutes before class starts.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:16 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:so ive had this class for over 12 weeks and always sit in the same seat, but today someone else was sitting in it. im pretty anal about seating and was wondering if i was the only one. personal i thought it was an unspoken rule that everyone knew.

It is. I fight this by organising maps of the classrooms with people's seating position. Then, I post my friends to steal particular seats to cause maximum destruction. FUCK YEAH.

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

I start flicking paper balls around if I don't get my seat. I don't function well outside my "comfort zone". Plus I usually map out a spot that is near the back but not all the way there, and angled enough away from the professor that I can read other books or doodle without them seeing it. When you take the time to do that, you get to keep your seat. Unspoken rule.

I once became engaged in a desk scribble-fest with someone from the class after mine. We ended up talking about games and correcting each other's doodles. Never met in person though :( .

Also, does anyone else have a problem with evidence of other people on their seats? I have some unjustifiable queasiness about other people's hair, and must pick it off the (cloth, ugh) seat before I can sit down properly. Though, on a cold day pre-warmed seats are pretty nice.
YOU HAS FEESH?!

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:

I had a doodle conversation with someone that lasted a whole semester. I never learned their name or gender, but I like to imagine that I was speaking with a hot nerd-girl, and that she's waiting for me somewhere out there (WAAAYYYY out on the furthest reaches of the bell curve).
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Return to “School”