College/University GPA

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

What is/was your college or uni GPA?

Above 4.0
1%
3.9-4.0
20%
3.66-3.9
27%
3.33-3.66
25%
3.0-3.33
15%
2.5-3.0
7%
2.0-2.5
3%
1.5-2.0
1%
1.0-1.5
No votes
Below 1.0, with the otters and ducks.
1%

Total votes: 96

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

College/University GPA

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:29 am UTC

I figure, if there's a high school one, there should also be a college/university one. I'm assuming universities don't weight their grade-point averages like some high schools do, but put in an option for "above 4.0" just in case.

Mine was 3.973, thanks to a math alpha course and a math research projects class I took my fourth year.

(I made the poll options changeable, in case you're still in college and your GPA changes from time to time.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Re: College/University GPA

Postby MotorToad » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:08 am UTC

The first semester, 4.0. Second semester, 3.85. Then 3.6, 3.5, ~3.2... It went this way continuously until I barely got a degree. Honestly, I don't know what my GPA was at the end. But I did go from intermediate algebra to a BS/EE, so I can't be that dumb. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

shifuimam

Postby shifuimam » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Let's see...

3.49/4.0 degree GPA, 3.5/4.0 overall GPA.

Damn. I was thinking my degree GPA was like 3.6. I feel dumb now. :( I did pretty well in school, but my unfuckingbelievably useless ASP.NET prof managed to suck enough that I got a C+ in her course. Plus I got a C- in Trig II...which is the worst grade I've ever gotten in a class in my entire educational history.

What's everyone's SAT scores? Although, that's a tough comparison because the scoring system changed...

<edit>
I am proud of my high school GPA. After I was officially accepted into my degree program in college, I quit caring about high school. I went from like a 3.53 to a 3.09 in my last semester of high school. It was epic.
</edit>
I'm a girl. I'm also a geek. I listen to Dragonforce a lot. By "a lot", I mean almost nonstop. I have a lot of shit on the internet. I also have a lot of geeky crap.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

Average in the school of engineering is a 2.7 though, so I'm happy with that.

triangl

Postby triangl » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

We don't use GPA in UK (or at least I've never heard of it) any ideas what the "exchange rate" is, so to speak? 1st class = 4, Upper 2nd = 3 etc.?
a sequence an is null iff, given eps>0 there exists N(eps) such that n>N(eps) => ¦an¦<eps

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

I'm a junior in uni right now, and at the moment my GPA is hovering around 3.68. I'm really hoping that in my last two semesters I can raise that above 3.7 so I can graduate magna cum laude. I've improved pretty steadily each semester since I got here, and my lowest grade has been a B.

It's weird though, in high school my GPA was around a 3.3. Isn't it counterintuitive that I would do better in college than in high school?
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:It's weird though, in high school my GPA was around a 3.3. Isn't it counterintuitive that I would do better in college than in high school?

Maybe college keeps you alert. I know it had a huge influence on me to have something productive, even a tiny something, to think about during a day at school.
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Nebulae

Postby Nebulae » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

How much of an effect will your college GPA have? Will employers even look at it? (Engineer here)

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:
lanicita wrote:It's weird though, in high school my GPA was around a 3.3. Isn't it counterintuitive that I would do better in college than in high school?

Maybe college keeps you alert. I know it had a huge influence on me to have something productive, even a tiny something, to think about during a day at school.

Depends on the college you're going to...I have friends at community colleges who say it's easier than HS, but where I am is definitely much harder--hard enough that GPA here is done out of 98.3 instead of out of 100. If you (somehow) manage to get over 98.3 you have over a 4.0 GPA.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:01 am UTC

Nebulae wrote:How much of an effect will your college GPA have? Will employers even look at it? (Engineer here)

Some employers will ask for your transcript, others couldn't care less as long as you got the degree. Dunno anything specific about engineering.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:31 am UTC

Looks like my 3.59 is below the mean. Daaaag.

I never thought those stray Bs would mean I would have to come FACE TO FACE with mediocrity.

dreamcatcher_31

Postby dreamcatcher_31 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:47 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Nebulae wrote:How much of an effect will your college GPA have? Will employers even look at it? (Engineer here)

Some employers will ask for your transcript, others couldn't care less as long as you got the degree. Dunno anything specific about engineering.

I have a pretty decent GPA (3.5) but some embarrassing C's and B's. It has definitely hindered my job search, as I'm attracted to companies that are very selective in their hiring. I have considerable experience for a college senior, but my transcript doesn't hold up against my competitors. I've been turned down from a couple of interviews because of my transcript. I'm not an engineer; it may be that internship experience is more highly regarded there.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:14 am UTC

dreamcatcher_31 wrote:I have a pretty decent GPA (3.5) but some embarrassing C's and B's. It has definitely hindered my job search, as I'm attracted to companies that are very selective in their hiring. I have considerable experience for a college senior, but my transcript doesn't hold up against my competitors. I've been turned down from a couple of interviews because of my transcript. I'm not an engineer; it may be that internship experience is more highly regarded there.

That seems very harsh. What exactly are you trying to do?

Also, I had no idea that employers looked at your entire transcript. Golly.

akashra

Postby akashra » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:26 am UTC

Mine was just below 6, but that's because we use a different system here in Australia :)
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

dreamcatcher_31

Postby dreamcatcher_31 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:27 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:
dreamcatcher_31 wrote:I have a pretty decent GPA (3.5) but some embarrassing C's and B's. It has definitely hindered my job search, as I'm attracted to companies that are very selective in their hiring. I have considerable experience for a college senior, but my transcript doesn't hold up against my competitors. I've been turned down from a couple of interviews because of my transcript. I'm not an engineer; it may be that internship experience is more highly regarded there.

That seems very harsh. What exactly are you trying to do?

Also, I had no idea that employers looked at your entire transcript. Golly.

I was applying for management development programs at companies like Intuit. They might interview over a hundred fresh people for each position in the program not filled by a previous intern, so it's pretty competitive. It's not like I was overwhelmed by courses or anything, my 3.5 GPA is just the result of laziness. There has to be a school/social life balance, but if you're really looking to prove yourself a high GPA never hurts.

I'm not committed to going into management, but if I do decide to, I may take a route through consulting instead. Consulting firms are not as selective as long as you can demonstrate you're smart and willing to work 50-80 hours/week, much of which is on the road, for at least 3 years. It's a good way to prove yourself and develop a network of contacts (or so I'm told). I may do consulting for 5ish years, and then go back to school for an MBA or perhaps a more academic degree.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:38 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Also, I had no idea that employers looked at your entire transcript.

I imagine it might be because, without an official transcript, you could just be pulling that number out of your ass.
---

(he/him/his)

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:47 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:Also, I had no idea that employers looked at your entire transcript.

I imagine it might be because, without an official transcript, you could just be pulling that number out of your ass.
You could be pulling the entire degree out your ass. Plus, that's how they make sure you pay for it if you got it on loan.

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:36 am UTC

As someone who works for an admissions office from time to time.... The word on the street is that your GPA is RELATIVE to the college you went to and the courses you took.

E.g. Har, excuse me, certain Ivy league institutions' 4.0s are weighted the same as a 3.7 from Amh, er....certain small liberal arts colleges.

Grade inflation and grade undercutting (the part no one talks about) plays a huge role. As a rule, GPA is a number to go by, but just sayin', don't freak if you're in the latter category....and don't feel OVERLY secure if you're in the former.

/Went to a school that believed that passing was in itself a right of passage.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:42 am UTC

I'm in my last semester at Pitt, and to be fair, academics are not my #1 priority.
I was president of the Environmental Club for a year, ran crosscountry for 2 years, did Circle K for 4, Outdoors Club for 2, tutored for 2 years, you get the idea.
My CS major GPA is around 3.7, Math major GPA is around 3.5, and my overall GPA is at 3.52. I'm teetering on the edge of losing that 3.5+ for that magnum cum load at graduation.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:55 am UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:
MotorToad wrote:

Depends on the college you're going to...I have friends at community colleges who say it's easier than HS, but where I am is definitely much harder--hard enough that GPA here is done out of 98.3 instead of out of 100. If you (somehow) manage to get over 98.3 you have over a 4.0 GPA.

I think college does keep me more alert. Also I went to the same school for 1st-12th grade so I'm pretty sure I was just really, really bored of it by high school.

I go to NYU, but I still think it's easier than high school, mostly because I have a lot more free time now than I did in HS to do homework and other things, and because I'm taking classes that I want to take, in subjects I'm good at, instead of history and chemistry junk.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

Any idea on how to map a GPA system where it goes from 0 - 10, and a 3 is the failing line (for undergraduate, it's higher for graduate degrees) onto the American standard?

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

The Ethos wrote:As someone who works for an admissions office from time to time.... The word on the street is that your GPA is RELATIVE to the college you went to and the courses you took.

This is the same thing I've heard from career centers as well. I've also heard (from professors at my old university) that, for graduate degrees, the weight placed on your school is far greater, since for many fields, the difficulty from school to school has a much wider range.

Anyway, I had a 3.85 by the end of my four years of college. For us, A(93~100) = 4.0, A-(90~93) = 3.7, & B+(87~90)=3.5, I think. I was usually between 3.8 and 3.9 for all those four years. KF
~Kizyr

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

I'm only at 3.25 at the moment, after 2 semesters, but then my uni seems to work it out oddly, and I would've gone better if not for starting work at the beginning of last semester, that screwed me up a bit since I never had a proper job before that.

EDIT: Basically at swinburne, any HD is a 4.0, any D is a 3.0, any C is a 2.0, any pass is a 1.0 and a fail is a 0 iirc. So a 1 can actually mean someone passed all their subjects... seems odd to me.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:05 am UTC

4.0 after one entire semester! English this semester might bring that down, though.

@The Ethos
Can you tell me what Georgia Tech's "weight" is or would that be revealing too much information?
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:02 am UTC

In the last 10 years Georgia Tech has reported that they are giving out a lot of A's as B's, both of which are double the sum of C, D, and F grades. I have a report somewhere. Long story short, I think they're aware that they have a problem with it.

It does however depend on your major. Going by this report, music averages a >3.8 GPA (WTF?) down from a perfect 4 10 years ago. Bio and aerospace engineering have a much more normal 2.75 average.

"Many of the problems facing universities can be summed up in a conversation between a University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (UNC-Chapel Hill) professor and a student. “I took your course last year and it was the worst experience of my life.” “Oh?’ “Well I mean, I enjoyed the course and I learned a lot, but it just about destroyed my GPA.” (Fearing the worst) “What grade did you receive?” “A B+.” Students are expecting good grades in the classroom. Students feel it is not only their right to receive an education, but to receive good grades and to receive a degree."

I had a student yell at my once when I TAed him in undergrad because the professor (and I by proxy) "ruined his chances of getting into Tufts Med Pre-Admission" His end of class grade? B. Fuck him. I told him as much. He was a freshman.

/hates his own kind sometimes
//friggin premeds
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:25 am UTC

"In the crapper" would be my choice to describe it. I hope to be hired on my merits and skills, not on my grades. I'm banking experience at the fastest rate I can - contract programming, leadership roles in class projects, my own personal-time portfolio projects...
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

ABFA00

Postby ABFA00 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Currently, as a sophomore, mine's 2.867. I am choosing to blame the D+ my first semester and the C+, C+, and C- my second semester that made it this way on the professors which isn't that unreasonable. It's not my fault I can't understand Calculus 2 with an insanely strong accent [That same professor taught one of my current classes the other day, and even though I know the material well, I had no idea what he was talking about and had to tune out].

DougP

Postby DougP » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

3.33 exactly as an undergraduate.(I put myself in this category for the poll) I am currently a graduate student with a 3.8x GPA (can't remember it to the hundredths place at the moment), but I didn't average into my answer because undergrad/grad seem pretty different to me, so no use mixing degrees.

bananarchy

Postby bananarchy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

shifuimam wrote:What's everyone's SAT scores? Although, that's a tough comparison because the scoring system changed...

I pulled a ~3.25 (don't remember the exact figure) overall in biomedical engineering at Texas A&M, and a 1520 on the ol' 1600pt SAT, complete with analogies. I loved the analogies. Didn't much love studying, though, as you might have guessed.

spiralingsnails

Postby spiralingsnails » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Yes, if companies recognize where your degree is from then they weight your GPA by the school, and sometimes by the colleges/departments within that. At my university the Sciences & Engineering GPA transcripts are bloody horror stories, whereas in the Business college I was able to waltz away with a 3.97 and a healthy social-life :D

entropy_

Postby entropy_ » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:01 am UTC

lanicita wrote:I'm a junior in uni right now, and at the moment my GPA is hovering around 3.68. I'm really hoping that in my last two semesters I can raise that above 3.7 so I can graduate magna cum laude. I've improved pretty steadily each semester since I got here, and my lowest grade has been a B.

It's weird though, in high school my GPA was around a 3.3. Isn't it counterintuitive that I would do better in college than in high school?

My case is almost exactly the same. I'm a junior right now with a 3.67 GPA(started with a 3.4 on my first semester and it's been steadily rising) and my lowest grade so far is a B. In high school I had pretty good grades but not really high ones(I was in a French school so there's no GPA but it would've been in the low 3s).
I enjoy college much more than school, I don't know about American schools but I didn't have much chance to choose my courses. We had to learn *everything*. Also I went through my 15 years of school without ever studying(last 3 years I never bought my textbooks and I had a single notebook for all classes)

shifuimam wrote:What's everyone's SAT scores? Although, that's a tough comparison because the scoring system changed...

Well I took the new SAT. I scored 2060/2400 (730 on both math and English comprehension, 600 on the writing section). I'm pretty happy with my English scores especially since English is only my 3rd language. (They do say however that French speakers have an easier time with the SAT since the "hard" words in English are usually common ones in French(Or at least resemble common ones(I just love nesting parentheses)))

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

There's already a thread for that, which I just moved into this subforum.
---

(he/him/his)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Ha, LOW. And with Honors and government grants. Take that academic institutions!

At my grad review (hippy school, deal with it) my advisor goes "He graduates with departmental honors in Biology, a thesis pending publication in a reputable Marine Ecology journal [this was sort of a stretch, as the paper was never published and the journal wasn't very reputable], the president of two academic clubs and one extracurricular organization, and a 2.3 cumulative GPA."
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

11-Sodium

Postby 11-Sodium » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

How irritating! I have 3.89, just below the threshold. It is only one semester, though, and it was a general education course that caused it to not be a 4.0: I got a B+ in my Architectural History class, which was by far the hardest class I took last semester. My other courses were Calculus II, Intro to Programming for CIS Majors 1, Intro to Philosophy, and Marching Band. Hopefully my GPA will go up after this semester.

spi

Postby spi » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

I had a 4.0 my first two or three semesters.

I ended up with a 3.87 or so. At least it was high enough to get the Magna Cum Laude cutoff.
"Pain is a wonderful emotion, scariest sea in a world of oceans" - Iris

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:52 am UTC

We got percentage grades, but according to the conversion table at http://www.101online.com/ask.cfm?loc=4&page=3&story=390&topic=17&cart=1, I got a GPA in my undergraduate years (as a math student) of 4.26
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:44 am UTC

NathanielJ wrote:We got percentage grades, but according to the conversion table at http://www.101online.com/ask.cfm?loc=4&page=3&story=390&topic=17&cart=1, I got a GPA in my undergraduate years (as a math student) of 4.26

University of Pittsburgh's conversion:
A+: 4.0
A: 4.0
A-: 3.75
B+: 3.25
B: 3.0
B-: 2.75
C+: 2.25
C: 2.0
C-: 1.75

I really don't like it because of the 0.5 difference between a B+ and an A-. That's a big difference. 0.33 in the link you provided seems more reasonable to me. Alas. Also, A+ == A. What's up with that?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

NathanielJ wrote:We got percentage grades, but according to the conversion table at http://www.101online.com/ask.cfm?loc=4&page=3&story=390&topic=17&cart=1, I got a GPA in my undergraduate years (as a math student) of 4.26

Maybe in some high schools, but I don't know of any universities that have over 4.0 GPAs possible. Treat your A+ grades like As and let us know what it actually comes out to.
---

(he/him/his)

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

(Post Edited)

Kk, I found my University's conversion chart, and I got 4.00
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

Return to “School”