"Ouch" moments in school

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Mmmm, Pi

Re: "Ouch" moments in school

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:04 am UTC

I take a computing class at uni - it's just for engineering students, and there's about 30 of us. I'm the only female in the group. Normally, this isn't a problem, but when we get our coursework back and the lecturer goes on about the person who got the highest grade and uses female pronouns, everybody in the room certainly knows it must be me.

Although it was cool that I got a percentage I'd be happy with at A-Level at uni.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

I failed Health and Human relations. Which was pretty much the easiest subject in the entirety of high school. No-one could believe that I had failed it, or even that it was possible to do so. And given the subject matter the result suggested I was entirely socially inept or something.

Okay, so I failed because I didnt bother handing in an assignment. Or maybe the teacher lost it, I dunno.

Apart from that, I didn't get any bad grades really. I mean, I didnt try very hard, so when you're above average in your worst class when you did no homework, you dont complain.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

windshrike

Postby windshrike » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

This isn't exactly school, but my friend wrote 'Beast' across his scantron answer sheet at a MAO competition and got an 82, placing him 15th in the region. Of course, he also cheated, but it still stings to think about.

jakkle

Postby jakkle » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

once got 3.5 out of about 20 in a physics test in class. my teacher framed it and sent it to my mother. its now in the bathroom.

:(
geek love in its noblest form.

Daemen

Postby Daemen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:13 am UTC

Gr 11 chem - At the start of the semester the teacher gives us this page. Front and back, it is filled with all the question numbers from the text book that we're supposed to do as homework for the whole semester. Size twelve font, mind you. Once every couple of days he would tell us what question we should be at by then. Other than that he never checked the homework, let alone collect it.

After the final me and a friend a few days later go and ask him how we did. At the end of the course I pulled off an 88%, which was both the mark I had going into the final and the mark I got on the final. My friend pulled of an 97%. Teacher goes on about how there was about four in the class of 25ish who had marks in the 80s and 90s, one or two in the 70s and high 60s, and the rest either failed or got marks in the 50s and low 60s. He said "you can tell the difference between those who did the homework and thos who didn't". After we left my friend turned to me and told me that he never once did the homework - neither did I. I started scratching out the questions that I did on the paper the teacher gave us at the start of the semester. I managed to scratch off maybe the first 10 questions. I wrote my lab reports during the half an hour I have between when I get to school and when classes start. My studying for the exam consisted of that half an hour, the day of the exam. I'd say the mark difference was more the difference between those who understood what the hell the teacher was talking about and those who didn't.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 am UTC

Not yet an ouch moment, but I am probably getting a test back tomorrow, and I went VERY badly at it.
Just preparing you for my despair.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:46 am UTC

Hurrah! I went pretty good in that test, actually!
But I got about 20% less than I thought I would in another test...

EDIT: Sorry about the double post, I thought someone else would have written.

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

Materials Science test:

Teacher wrote:Median 82
Mean 79.7
High 100
Low 21

Ouch.

Even worse, at least 40% of the test was word-for word from the practice, which our professor gave us the answers to.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

I ate school lunch on Tuesday and just now recovered from the food poisoning. No joke.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

GBog

Postby GBog » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:49 am UTC

This is based on hearsay, so I don't know if it's true. Still kind of funny, though, so I thought I'd share it:

There was this student who hadn't studied for a test. The test was multiple choice, so the student decided that since he didn't have a clue, he might as well answer 'D' on every question, giving him an expected score of 25%. The problem was that he didn't even look at the question sheet. While the answer sheet was a standardized, machine-readable sheet with four alternatives for each question, the questions on the actual test only had three alternatives, 'A' through 'C'.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:51 am UTC

GBog wrote:This is based on hearsay, so I don't know if it's true. Still kind of funny, though, so I thought I'd share it:

There was this student who hadn't studied for a test. The test was multiple choice, so the student decided that since he didn't have a clue, he might as well answer 'D' on every question, giving him an expected score of 25%. The problem was that he didn't even look at the question sheet. While the answer sheet was a standardized, machine-readable sheet with four alternatives for each question, the questions on the actual test only had three alternatives, 'A' through 'C'.

That's why you always go with A if you want to say "Screw it."
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:34 am UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:
GBog wrote:This is based on hearsay, so I don't know if it's true. Still kind of funny, though, so I thought I'd share it:

Pfft everyone knows the correct combination is A-B-B-A-A-C-D-C
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

uTP

Postby uTP » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

My "Ouch" moment:

I consider myself a more or less well english speaking person (YOU my disagree on that ;) ^^) and so do other in my course. However, as we all got our tests back a friend of mine getting his earlier than me had a B (or a 2 as I'm in Germany), so I expected something around at least a C, because he isn't actually better than me (which he says himself). And I got a D ( don't know if it's correctly converted. It's a D if E is the worst possible grade. Or a 5).

That said, I was kinda upset and with kinda I mean a lot by which I actually mean that I was fucking pissed of. I somehow do get the impression the teacher really doesn't like me.

I don't say by this that I'm particularly good in english just that I'm one of the better ones of my course which isn't really difficult I suppose ...

Feel free to disagree with my english speaking 'skills' or my opinion.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:24 am UTC

hyperion wrote:
vodka.cobra wrote:

If you don't stick with a letter, you run the risk of running parallel.

For example, the correct answers are B,A,D,C and you put A,B,C,D and you get all 4 wrong. If you stick with a letter, you get at least 1 right.

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:32 am UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:For example, the correct answers are B,A,D,C and you put A,B,C,D and you get all 4 wrong. If you stick with a letter, you get at least 1 right.

The left side of my brain just exploded.
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:49 am UTC

Two weeks ago to a week ago gave me quite a few reasons to say "ouch." Mostly because it was all my fault and it didn't have to happen.

So I was doing a minor little research project with an astrophysics professor, looking at the cepheid star EU Tauri, and we were going to go to elsecollege at some point to present it. Being practical ol' me, I procrastinated until the week of the presentation (4 days prior) to do much more than outline the powerpoint, and then after a lecture one morning my prof. found me and said "so, do you want to practice presenting in an hour?" Punch to the gut #1. He'd gotten a room with a projector and a few other professors/students set up, and everyone was going to be ready in an hour. Suckerpunch to the face.

I managed to pull through the actual presentation and would have rated my performance "average" at best, so I was pretty regretful about my lack of planning. I had spent most of those four days struggling to put everything together and remember everything we'd done and worked on (we finished actually working/writing about a month or two earlier, and I have never, ever taken an astrophysics course, so I've never felt too confident in my knowledge in that field... I understood what we were working on just fine and did the work, but it was still a source of unease). In doing that, I didn't get much sleep, and also managed to not talk with any of my other professors about the classes I would be missing to go cross-state. When I got back, I forgot all about that as I slept away the weekend. When I got to the next section of the class I missed, I learned/realized that I had missed a midterm, and it was one I hadn't even studied for, so I only vaguely knew the material -- and the professor gave them back that class, so I had to take it THAT day if I was going to get away with taking it at all. Needless to say, dropkick to the groin here, I bombed that midterm. The class is History of Mathematics, one of my easiest classes. I still feel horrible about this and don't know how/whether I'll be able to pull my grade back up in that class.
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

Peregrin

Postby Peregrin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:22 am UTC

hyperion wrote:
vodka.cobra wrote:

Unless it's a biology test. Then you only want to use A's and C's.

As for an ouch moment, there was one calculus test that the class did horribly on. There were six of us who got A's, and the teacher sent us to the library while she chewed out the rest of the class. Ouch.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:00 am UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:If you don't stick with a letter, you run the risk of running parallel.

For example, the correct answers are B,A,D,C and you put A,B,C,D and you get all 4 wrong. If you stick with a letter, you get at least 1 right.

I'm pretty sure that there's the same chance that you do one letter and none of the ones you select are that answer. I had a physics test lately where none of them were A's.

Your's only works if you know there are a certain amount of an answer, like in guessing the colours of a pack of cards, if you guess all to be black then you will be 50% right.

circasirvibing

Postby circasirvibing » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

I always think it's an "ouch" moment when the people I study with do far worse than me on a test. My last physics test me and about 4 other people got together to study for the entire day of the test. So we spend the day going through notes and doing problems that sort of thing, I'm feeling confident and not really worried about the test at all. So we all go to the test, and afterwards everyone has pretty much the same comments on the test, "yeah wasn't so bad." So we get the test back the next week, I get a 77 or something like that, but everyone else I studied with failed the test save for one girl.

My friend got 4/35 Thats 11%, and the other guy I wrote the test right beside got a 9/35. This all after 8 hours of solid studying. I was baffled.

bert5412

Postby bert5412 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:42 am UTC

My worst moment was in World History. Both my friend and I didn't study one bit for a test on Eastern Europe and when the test was over we were talking about how we guessed on almost every question. We wanted to see how bad we did so we looked at our notes and it ended up that he had guessed 90% of the questions correctly and i seemed to have missed every single question I guessed on. he got a 90% and I got a 69%. :evil: :evil:
I think, therefore I'm awesome.

southside

Postby southside » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:35 am UTC

My greatest "ouch" came today, the class being AP Calc BC, which, being a history/language person doesn't work well. The class was preparing for a test for a full week, and I had thought I had the material down, despite rarely being in class due to non-math commitments. Then the test hit, and I zipped through 8 of the 12 problems. The last 4 baffled me, but I later had a sort of epiphany and thought I understood what to do. Upon receiving the test back, and scoring .5 points off the lowest in the class, I added the points lost: Of 8 points possible on those questions I scored 1. Worse, it was the final grade before midterm, thus dropping my grade from an 88(B) to an 82(C).
Better known as IB

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:04 am UTC

I'm in my first ever Renaissance Italy class right now. I studied for the midterm with a friend who's taken like 3 other Renaissance Italy courses before. Our studying was basically her telling me the answers to the study questions our professor gave us. I ended up with an 88. She got an 85. I do not understand this.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:15 am UTC

lanicita wrote:I'm in my first ever Renaissance Italy class right now. I studied for the midterm with a friend who's taken like 3 other Renaissance Italy courses before. Our studying was basically her telling me the answers to the study questions our professor gave us. I ended up with an 88. She got an 85. I do not understand this.

You probably just Phrased your ansers better or Understood what the question was asking to a greater degree, Test-marks can Fluctuate a surprsisng amount with no bearing on the actual level of Knowledge posessed.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:
lanicita wrote:I'm in my first ever Renaissance Italy class right now. I studied for the midterm with a friend who's taken like 3 other Renaissance Italy courses before. Our studying was basically her telling me the answers to the study questions our professor gave us. I ended up with an 88. She got an 85. I do not understand this.

You probably just Phrased your ansers better or Understood what the question was asking to a greater degree, Test-marks can Fluctuate a surprsisng amount with no bearing on the actual level of Knowledge posessed.

Which is sad, and not how school should work.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Lanth

Postby Lanth » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

Less of an "Ouch, I got a bad mark", and more of a "Ouch, I'm going to get a bad mark".

Doing a test, in either Geometry and Trigonometry or Calculus (can't remember, had the same teacher in both). Doing some random question, thought I was doing pretty well at it. Teacher walks over, starts reading over my shoulder at what I was doing.

Then she started laughing.

Never a good sign.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

Lanth wrote:Less of an "Ouch, I got a bad mark", and more of a "Ouch, I'm going to get a bad mark".

Doing a test, in either Geometry and Trigonometry or Calculus (can't remember, had the same teacher in both). Doing some random question, thought I was doing pretty well at it. Teacher walks over, starts reading over my shoulder at what I was doing.

Then she started laughing.

Never a good sign.

Do you remember how you did on the test?

Sirry

Postby Sirry » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

Studying really hard for my spanish final, getting to the room and seeing everyone with calculators. It was actually my physics final.
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win.
-R.A.H.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:52 am UTC

I once learned with a guy who had no maths skills AT ALL. He always relied on explaining how a certain thing was done, never figured things out on his own. The only thing he was good at was using my explanations and writing/calculating FAST.

He passed, I didn't :(
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:39 am UTC

On the Waterloo physics contest you get I think 3 points for a correct answer 0 for a blank answer and -1 for an incorrect answer (14 multiple choice questions), and I noticed one year there was actually one mark of -14. The odds of THAT happening are simply incredible. Even if you're trying to fail, how do you not get at least one correct by chance?
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:26 am UTC

On the AP US History test, my teacher is walking around the room answering questions. She looks down at my essay, and starts yelling at me to stop treating the test like a joke.

I had to scribble out my entire essay and write a new one in 10 minutes.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Had a French teacher a while back who would say things like: "Class did very well. Lowest grade was a 36%, but even Jeremy is improving over 25% last time."

wst

Postby wst » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

Passing a USB drive to someone this week, through the normal method (a throw- they caught it), so they could cut something on the laser cutter.
"Hey, it's not working"
It had my only up-to-date copy of loads of my DT coursework on there.
I went to the ICT guy, we twisted it slightly to maintain the connection (we had to hold it in position while it was connected to the USB port!), ripped it to the techs computer, moved that onto an SD card I'd fortunately brought in that day (on a camera), via my MP3 player.
Went to PC World on the way back, got a 4GB SanDisk Skin for £15, and I'll be doing a full backup of everything later on this weekend.
*Phew*
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

makaveli

Postby makaveli » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

I once walked into class, only to find out that I had an up-and-coming mid-term test in English, and by up-and-coming I mean 5 minutes away. My heart sank to my underwear.

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

For my English Class we had to read the book "About a boy" from Nick Hornby. One of the other students was asked something by the Teacher. Here is how it went:

Teacher: Jan, have you read the book?
Jan: Yes, of course I have
Teacher: Well then, what was your favourite scene of the whole book?
Jan: Uhm.... I think.... when Will went up to the stage to join Marcus. *confident look*
Teacher: Jan.... That was not at all in the book.

Ouch moment for him.
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

hollygolightly

Postby hollygolightly » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:57 am UTC

Organic Chemistry exam. Class average = 56%.

It was a TAKE-HOME exam, and all of the big synthesis problems were straight out of the book, +/- a few functional groups.

(To explain (somewhat), we had a snow day the last day before spring break when the exam was scheduled, so he emailed it out and changed it to take-home, and I think a lot of people waited until the last second of break, 2 weeks later, to write it.)

Berni

Postby Berni » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

I just had my English professor ask me to re-write a 25~ page paper for Monday because she thinks I plagiarized the phrase "cloud of guilt", even though I explained that I don't have the vocabulary of a four year old.

The really hilarious part is that I have finals on Monday too.

Blipo

Postby Blipo » Sat May 03, 2008 6:06 am UTC

I got a 47/63 on my last Earth Science test. The fact that I had the top score in the class would be bad enough; but then consider that the second highest mark was 37. =/

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Sun May 04, 2008 12:54 am UTC

We spent two weeks learning how to verify trigonometric identities. I thought I had them down cold, even though I missed the first day of the section.

Big mistake.

Apparently that was the only day she talked about methods one and two. The entire test consisted of "use method 1 to verify:..."

I got a 5/30, by sheer luck. That test brought me down to an F immediately, and I've only now managed to get it back to a mildly embarrassing C-.

Ouch.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Sun May 04, 2008 1:31 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I got a 6/12 on the essay in the writing portion of the SAT. Got 100% on that section otherwise. The instructor in charge of the classroom I was taking it in gave no sort of 5 minute or 1 minute warning, just said "drop your pencils. now." and I had to finish mid-sentence. And I got a 5 on both the AP Lit and Lang tests.

Christ, that pretty much exactly happened to me. Needless to say, I was pissed off after I got my SAT scores. Writing is my strongest skill, too, and I was hoping that it would make up for my math, which isn't my best subject.

FortMax

Postby FortMax » Sun May 04, 2008 3:37 am UTC

One of my friends managed to get -8 out of 100 on a Language Arts exam in 8th grade.
Hasbro wrote:Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing RANSFORMERS CYBERTRON on 9.13.05

Transformers Instruction Scans from Generation 1 to Robots In Disguise
TFWiki.net: The Transformers Wiki

Return to “School”