"Ouch" moments in school

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

lowbart

Re: "Ouch" moments in school

Postby lowbart » Sat May 31, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

When I got my report card for the quarter when my girlfriend and I discovered phone sex.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Beacons!

Postby Beacons! » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

reflectia wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The stares I get when tests are handed back, and the teacher says "And as usual, [MightyJalapeno] was the only one to get an A..."

Thanks, dick.
I don't think some teachers realize that it hurts us when they say that.

My Physics class is very amicable so whenever that happen I usually stick my arms in the air and proclaim "I am God"
"Woof!", explained the dog

Death Dragon

Postby Death Dragon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:32 am UTC

Well, there was this one (very amusing) time.

We had a quiz in Home Ec., and it obviously was supposed to be an easy 100%. 10 points, 3 questions. The 1st question is worth 8 points, and it is "What is emancipation?" (Becoming your own individual free from your parents, incidentally.) We'd had that drilled into our heads for the last week, so it wasn't hard. Then the next 2 questions were 1 point each: "Spell emancipation" and "Spell individual." Right there on the sheet, like that.

So the teacher had us just switch papers when we were done, and then had us read our grades out loud. So you hear - "10. 10. 10. 10. 10. (moment of silence.) 9. (moment of silence). (Laughter). It was actually very funny. That wasn't me, though.

My own ouch moments? Getting my report cards back to find that, although I am fairly smart and understand most of the material, I'm failing or getting Ds in classes because I don't turn in enough homework. Like it's my fault that I can't see a single advantage in wasting my time with homework?!?!

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:11 am UTC

lowbart wrote:When I got my report card for the quarter when my girlfriend and I discovered phone sex.

I originally read that as "When I got my report card for the quarter, my girlfriend and I discovered phone sex." And I was wondering why in the WORLD that is an "ouch moment." But upon further reading, I now see. Look on the bright side, even if you fail out of school you can be a solid phone sex operator? I jest.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:33 am UTC

We've got 5 days left before Finals and my AC algebra teacher decided we should do another unit, they usually take 10+Days... Our assignment sheet has some nights with 2x or 3x homework, ALONG WITH reviewing for the final...
Rawr!

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:24 am UTC

Death Dragon wrote:Like it's my fault that I can't see a single advantage in wasting my time with homework?!?!

yeah, getting good grades isn't an advantage to doing homework? A strong work ethic will carry you farther than being slightly smarter than everyone else.

OUCH: I questioned my English teachers' competency in fluid mechanics and climatology, had my parents called. She assigns a paper on global warming and assumes she can grade an essay primarily based in science? That, and the time she called because I thought an AP Composition class' quiz on Plato's cave shouldn't have been to draw a picture of plato's cave when AP exams are right around the corner. I wasn't even yelling... I was being passionate.*

*No, really, I wasn't. I asked people afterwards, everyone said I wasn't.

Death Dragon

Postby Death Dragon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:59 am UTC

Death Dragon wrote:
Like it's my fault that I can't see a single advantage in wasting my time with homework?!?!

yeah, getting good grades isn't an advantage to doing homework?

Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. I *should* have said, "The mindless busy-work that, although simple beyond belief, is tedious and time-consuming and is unfavorably comparable to hitting myself repeatedly in the head with a mace." Seriously. Drawing a picture of yourself as an animal and writing a sentence about why you are that animal is *not* worth wasting time on, and I just kinda forget about stupid assignments like that.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I was the only one to get 100 on a really hard Spanish quiz I took yesterday, out of 6 classes of about 28ish people. Everyone was super pissed at me for ruining the curve. I felt bad, but what, am I supposed to regret that I did well on the test? It's not like I was trying to ruin the curve for everyone else...

The funny thing is that I didn't even study for it. Normally, I study maybe 10 minutes the day of or the day before a test, but since it was just a verbs review quiz, I didn't think I needed to study- and it turned out to be the hardest Spanish test of the year. Not only did I not study, I actually arrived to the test five minutes late, and I fell asleep about halfway through it, which wasted another five minutes. Needless to say, I was almost positive I didn't get 100 on that test. So it was a pleasant surprise to learn that I did, although of course, the curve-ruining thing didn't make me so happy.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Themata

Postby Themata » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:15 am UTC

Oh man, totally fucked up my day today.

Couple weeks back we had a really stupid geography assignment (year 10). Had to gather articles relating to the 4 major links of aid, migration, trade and defence. 4 for each, 16 in total. Then glue them in a scrapbook, annotate each article, then write a 2 paragraph summary of one article for each link. After that we we had to write an extended response in class related to one of those links using our scrapbook. I thought I'd done well at the time.

Today we got our marks back individually. Teacher calls me up and shows me my marks. 25.5/30 for my media file, I was fairly pleased. My eyes glance over to my extended response mark and my heart sank so far I swear it fell out of my ass. 27/70, giving me a solid total of... 53.5%.

This was quite possibly one of the most embarrassing moments for me, seeing as I usually get fairly solid results in my assessments, in my last geography task I got a solid 29/30. And now I've dropped to a 53%. The saddest part is that the task was weighted 30% so the absolute maximum I can get overall will be 85%, assuming I get full marks in everything else. Safe to say that it fucked up my day pretty hard.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

In Higher Biology class, only two people passed the prelim exam, with 52% and 84%. Both were crashing the subject :/
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

brook_88

Postby brook_88 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:20 am UTC

I got a 4/40 on my maths paper in Janurary....

Thought "Oh I'll work really hard and catch up for the summer..." Have I? No.

And I have another exam on that day (Chem). 10% again it is then...

frenchToast

Postby frenchToast » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:27 am UTC

There was the time I slept through a final exam.

No, seriously. I did. It was for Theology Intro (private Catholic school yaay) and the exam was at eight in the morning.
I woke up about 10:15, saw the time, screamed and ran around the room a bit, and then emailed the professor, making something up about being ill or whatever.

She let me take the exam a few days later. I wound up with a B in the course. I'm the sort of person who freaks out when it's less than an AB (my school doesn't do A- or B+ or any of that, but we have this weird A, AB, B, BC, C, CD, D, F grading scale,) but I've never been so happy for a B in my LIFE.

I also got a 0 on a chemistry quiz in grade 11 once, but that teacher hated me and I suck at/strongly dislike chemistry. The sad thing was that I got all the answers RIGHT and showed all my work ... I just didn't show it the way he wanted me to.
Lame.

Death Dragon

Postby Death Dragon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:44 am UTC

Wow . . . so I learned my lesson about doing homework . . .

The moment? We got our practice Regents exams that we had taken in Chemistry back. I got a 91%. My teacher was very impressed.

The ouch? I've been border-line passing all year because I'm so bad at turning in labs.

So I'm pretty good at Chem. I just don't turn in homework . . .

Another ouch moment? My mom has made me start bringing a note to my teachers to sign on Fridays to ensure I've been doing my work. Last Friday she forgot to give me one, coincidentally on the day I hadn't done math homework. My teacher came around to check it, and when I told him I only had it half done, he asked for the note. When I told him I didn't have it, he started thinking out loud, "Hmmm, no note home and no homework? I'm seeing a pattern here. Are you?" So that attracted a lot of attention from the rest of the class, and I felt like murdering my teacher. Because I have NOTHING going on in my life that might affect my homework. Nope, nothing AT ALL that's going totally wrong. I TOTALLY don't keep a LIST in my head of what's gone wrong this week. Yes, my ENTIRE life revolves around that note.

And it really sucks, because (in case you couldn't tell) the above was sarcasm and I have a LOT going wrong right now . . . math is not #1 on my list of priorities. I'm not saying it wasn't my fault, I'm just saying I had other things on my mind.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:19 am UTC

Getting a zero on a physics test. And if that wasn't bad enough, the teacher decided to call out people's names and tell them how much they got. I pretty much wanted to jump out the window.

Double Blackbird

Postby Double Blackbird » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

In my last year of middle school, I was given a piece of Science homework - nothing too strenuous, simply measuring incident and reflected angles with a protractor. But I had a friend who wasn't very good in that subject, and wanted to mooch off my homework, so we collaborated on it (that is: I did it, he copied).

A few days later the class gets this homework back from the teacher, and she reads everyone's marks out loud. I got 5/10. My friend, with exactly the same answers as me, got 9/10.

This was also the last ever piece of homework I ever handed in to that teacher - a few days later, the school broke up for the summer, and I was off to Upper School.

rockin2the70s

Postby rockin2the70s » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

This really should have been an ouch moment, but I was expecting it and didn't really care.

It was test for the last unit of BC Calc, AFTER the AP test-multivariable limits, derivatives, and integrals in rectangular and polar coordinates. And it was work-on-your-own. Needless to say, I didn't even really do the polar stuff, and skated the rest. Thing is, I had a 90.8% going into the test. I had gotten maybe one A on a test the whole year, so there was basically no way I would keep my A. Studied a little-maybe I would get lucky-take the test, felt good about it. Get it back: 57%, didn't care; I still had the B I was expecting.

The last test of my high school career, and the first one I have ever failed (I think)
Why are we here?
Because we're here, roll the bones.
Why does it happen?
Because it happens, roll the bones.
-Rush

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Just found out my English final grade. 100%

OUCH: It brought me up to a 89% in the class, just barely not an A.

What a waste of 9% of my work in that class.

Benzene

Postby Benzene » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:49 am UTC

I showed up 45 mins late to my 2 hour Differential Equations final, also unintentionally slept in through a common hour (lunch) Phys II test worth 20% of the final grade (lowest test was dropped though, so I ended up with a 96 in that class :P).

Organic Chemistry II, getting a test back with a 44/100 grade and the Prof telling me that I'm above the class average; there are 8 people in the class.
--llo? What beep; I didn't hear anything? Is it even recording? (inaudible) Hey, how do I get this thing to--- *BEEP*

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Death Dragon wrote:Drawing a picture of yourself as an animal and writing a sentence about why you are that animal is *not* worth wasting time on, and I just kinda forget about stupid assignments like that.
Hey, that's valuable, real-life experience that'll be useful when you become a furry!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Cass

Postby Cass » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:39 am UTC

In a fairly hard unit in Chem 12 I seemed to be the only one getting the matterial, so I ended up re-teaching a quarter of my class my method which was the exact same method but left out steps that where easily done in your head and added the ones that my teacher thought easy but where actualy not at all straight forward. So when my teacher saw a bunch of assignments handed in done my way he claimed that all of them copyed me, half my class including me got a 0 on about 5 assingments and a few quizes.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own"

WalkerRiley

Postby WalkerRiley » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:19 am UTC

Not sure if this would qualify as an ouch moment or not, but it certainly qualifies in my book of "bad things that happened at school" book.

So during my last two years in high school I got very involved in theatre. I ended up not only a lead actor in many of the productions, but also the lead light/audio tech, one of the main set designers, and the special fx tech for every production put on those two years.

So anyways, one day I was alone in the auditorium doing some lighting work. I was pulling down fresnels and 'soids and replacing the gels in them then repositioning them for an upcoming show. We normally used a traditional 5 downstage 3 backstage lighting setup, but the show required a 7 downstage 4 backstage along with a few special spots. (For those who don't know, 5 down 3 up means that there are five seperate pools of light across the downstage and three pools of light upstage. Least, that's how we referred to it.) I also needed to change the gels in the cycs but that came after what happened.

So there I was on the hydrolic lift some thirty/forty feet above the stage floor hanging a fifteen pound ellipsoidal when sudden the power goes out. Mind you, we're talking about a sealed room with no windows to speak of. It was pitch black in there.

This would normally not be a problem except that I was already nervous due to having a deep fear of heights. Add no power and thus no way to lower the platform I was on (or so my panic stricken mind thought) and you can imagine the state of mind I was in.

So the ouch moment? After twenty minutes of panic and terror, the power comes back on and i lowered the platform and got out of there.......only to discover that the lift DOESN'T require power to lower the platform.... I spent twenty minutes panicking about being forty feet in the air in the dark with no way down for nothing.

Another REAL ouch moment, as in pure physical pain, also happened during my tech theatre classes. As it turned out we were doing A Christmas Carol for one of the theatre class productions (I happened to have been cast as Bob Cratchit). I had designed some excellent replica street lanterns for the show and was in the process of actually building them. I was in the process of wiring the light socket, and told the people around me to watch what they were doing and not plug the cord in. Well, no sooner did I say it that I felt the shock of a current of electricity run through my arm.

Only one hand was gripping the wiring and I only felt the shock up to my elbow before I managed to pull my arm away. But it still hurt. And he hurt afterwords with the beating I gave him.

Oh but the lamps came out awesome. And from what I've been told they still use em now seven years later.
Le1bn1z wrote:No more Florida babies. Except for the purposes of scientific research or food.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:58 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Death Dragon wrote:Drawing a picture of yourself as an animal and writing a sentence about why you are that animal is *not* worth wasting time on, and I just kinda forget about stupid assignments like that.
Hey, that's valuable, real-life experience that'll be useful when you become a furry!

Because that's what we do..

OUCH: Accidentally slagging off a teacher as he stands directly behind me.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Iamwalrus

Postby Iamwalrus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

I got 61.1/65 on my math exam yesterday.

The 'ouch' part was.....

there wasn't. Just thought to brag.
You are now breathing manually.

Iamwalrus

Postby Iamwalrus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Oh yeah, this isn't a huge blow to the tummy or anything, but it still struck me hard.

So I was taking an anatomy test a week ago and it was open book, oddly. I took my time to search for all the correct answers but I was seriously stuck on one problem. It was a true or false question- fifty/fifty. I thought I found the answer [true] but it looked like it could pass as something else [false]. I then saw the paper of a very smart girl sitting kitty-corner from me and she had 'false' for that answer. I greedily took that answer and turned my test in feeling accomplished.

The next day we got our test back and I saw I had an A with one wrong. Yay for me, but I was highly curious to see what one that held me from a 100%. I looked on the next page and found that the answer I cheated from was wrong. I wanted to kick myself! I had it right! And I'm not even smart! That bothers me to no end. Gah.
You are now breathing manually.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

Iamwalrus wrote:The 'ouch' part was.....

There is already a bragging thread.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

The_Truth
Location: At your local Panera's eating a bacon turkey bravo.

Postby The_Truth » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

Ah yes.. the all famous ouch moments, I remember one of mine (well technically my friend's, but anyway..)

Well, both my friend and I are big guitar hero fans. It was near the end of the year, and a small scantron test was coming up in biology class, so we decided to put down guitar hero notes. I chose the B solo from jordan, and he chose the fast solo A from "One" (he's pretty lazy that way, as any guitar hero fan would know remembering the solo doesn't take much) and considering their notes are -relatively- close to each other, we figured we'd get around the same grade.

I got an 82.

He got a 13.

It was hilarious, apparently the alternating notes with mine were one beat off, so essentially everything I got right, he got wrong, and then some. Regardless I believe he still has a 92 in the class, so all is well.
I can has a cookie?

Death Dragon

Postby Death Dragon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:17 am UTC

Death Dragon wrote:
Drawing a picture of yourself as an animal and writing a sentence about why you are that animal is *not* worth wasting time on, and I just kinda forget about stupid assignments like that.

Of course! Why didn't I think of that!

I got 61.1/65 on my math exam yesterday.

The 'ouch' part was.....

Go die.

Guess who has a math regents coming up in about a week? And for the bonus round, guess who's goal is simply to PASS? And finally, guess who will most likely be back on this thread after Regents week?

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:15 am UTC

About 5 people in my science class got a 0% on the FINAL because they didn't put what form the test was (A or B)
The worst part: we got notice of our grades on the final a day before final grades came out, so there was no way to get any extra credit, and nothing to make up.

x-Swamp

Postby x-Swamp » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:11 am UTC

The teacher writing "micro-orgasms" instead of "micro-organisms" on the board.
Under development - my html sucks.

http://www.hitpenguin.net - any comments?

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:58 am UTC

x-Swamp wrote:The teacher writing "micro-orgasms" instead of "micro-organisms" on the board.

My friend did that on our powerpoint presentation... multiple times. Fortunately, we caught all of them before we presented. :roll:
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

I took two 65 question short answer tests on the european countries, it wouldn't be too hard if it wasn't so detailed. One question I remember was "The native language in Ukraine is very old and almost no one can speak it, what does Ukraine mean in Ukraine's native language?" So the week after everyone is getting the tests back I'm in 3rd hour so I'm hearing many horror stories about how the highest grade in their classes were 29's and lower. I'm waiting for the the tests to come back and my teacher hands them to me and while he does he saysto everyone "He must be the only one who studied and actually cares about this at all." I look at the tests, 65 and 64. The only bad part, I was with my friends all weekend setting of fireworks and being pyros, no studying at all, and to top it all off I hadn't done any homework at all for that whole semester in that class. So I got the best grades in the school by not studying, not doing any homework, and only listening when we read the book as a class.
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

Death Dragon

Postby Death Dragon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:50 pm UTC

So I got the best grades in the school by not studying, not doing any homework, and only listening when we read the book as a class.

I wish I had 'ouch' moments like yours.

L0cke

Postby L0cke » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:04 am UTC

At the end of my AP calculus BC class there was apparently a presentation worth 10% of our grade to be presented on the day of the final. I did not know about it because after the ap test i spent every day outside playing games of ultimate frisbee. thankfully my teacher let me do it over google talk that night instead of just giving me a zero. he didnt even take off any points!!

every other class i ignore the teacher pretty much. and my grades suffer a bit,usually falling to low a's.

omega

Postby omega » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:58 am UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:Getting a zero on a physics test. And if that wasn't bad enough, the teacher decided to call out people's names and tell them how much they got. I pretty much wanted to jump out the window.

Ditto. Only that he didn't tell everyone what they got but just gave the tests back, and when he got to mine he asked in front of class "What happened, <my name here>? In the first test you had 100 percent and now a zero? What's wrong with you?"
It was just a pop quiz asking for details one had to memorize - no way to derive them from what I already knew within ten minutes, that usually saved me -, and I hadn't studied at all. Everyone just stared because I was usually good at most subjects and got an A nearly everywhere, and they couldn't imagine I could get something worse than a B in physics. It was in 8th grade so it wasn't so bad, it's not that anyone cared for the grade after the year was over.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Back in 11th grade, I took Calculus I and got A's on everything. Since I was doing so good, it was my teacher's suggestion that I just skip the final and take the Calculus AB AP test. Now, I was ecstatic about that, since it meant that I could blow off a test and go take one I was probably going to take anyway. It was only after I opened the test that I got a bad feeling...

Final Score: 2 (of 6, if I recall correctly)

As it turns out, I'd gotten a (censored) course that was better suited as Math History/Basics of Calculus. I learned what deriving and integrating were, but not much else and was pretty pissed, as I'd chosen to send my score to a college I wanted to go to very badly.

Eventually I came out with a solid B after several misadventures with an online Calculus I class.

Never take higher math online...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Part Deux

Scene: Calculus I final, in a college class I'm dual enrolled in.

I come into the room, having accidentally not studied and freaking out that I might fail again for the second semester (First semester was the online class). The teacher hands out the tests, and I find out that all this stuff is basic derivation and integrating. I zip through the test and am one of the first people to leave. I ended up having to wait a while for a ride, and the teacher was grading as others took tests, so after hearing people moan about the test and say they'd be happy with a 70, I ask the teacher if graded my paper and I find out that I got a 93. :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And of course, there was the day I was supposed to make a 30-minute presentation on the life and music of Franz Liszt. I typed up the whole Powerpoint on my laptop (my Chemistry teacher thought was taking good notes) the class before and came out of it all with a B+.

I love procrastination. :P

setris

Postby setris » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

Sophomore year in high school, in Latin II (since there about 20 kids total in the class, they don't bother splitting into regular and honors until junior year), we got a test about two weeks into the year. For latin, you'd change teachers between freshman and sophomore year, and most people in the class were used to the way the freshman teacher tested, and not the sophomore teacher's way. It was a disaster. About six of us got A's or high B+'s (the ones who would go into the Latin III honors class, me included), while the rest of the class topped off at about 75%, with most people below the failing mark (70%). One person got a 6. Not six right, but 6% out of 100. To top it off, the teacher's way to solve the grade problem this created was to give us even more tests over the next few weeks, to improve our grades, since "just having a test like this one would destroy your grade for the rest of the semester."
IN SANE WE TRUST

I'm not a democrat or a republican,
I'm just right no matter what.

Hexadecimator

Postby Hexadecimator » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:03 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I got a 6/12 on the essay in the writing portion of the SAT. Got 100% on that section otherwise. The instructor in charge of the classroom I was taking it in gave no sort of 5 minute or 1 minute warning, just said "drop your pencils. now." and I had to finish mid-sentence. And I got a 5 on both the AP Lit and Lang tests.
Same, except I got a 5/12, but 100% on the multiple choice. Worked out to be a 730 on that section, but still painful.

The worst ouch moment I can think of was in 10th grade when my friend got 7/10 on a piece of science homework, even though he turned in someone else's math assignment which already had comments on it from the math teacher.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Plustax

Postby Plustax » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:44 am UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:Scene: Calculus I final, in a college class I'm dual enrolled in.

I come into the room, having accidentally not studied and freaking out that I might fail again for the second semester (First semester was the online class). The teacher hands out the tests, and I find out that all this stuff is basic derivation and integrating. I zip through the test and am one of the first people to leave. I ended up having to wait a while for a ride, and the teacher was grading as others took tests, so after hearing people moan about the test and say they'd be happy with a 70, I ask the teacher if graded my paper and I find out that I got a 93. :D

I know the feeling, I had the exact same thing happen in a math course I took, I ended up knowing around 23 out of the 25 questions, but since I didn't get the material earlier in the semester I ended up with a "C" I must have raised my grade in that course from a 61 to a 75. Thank God for finals that make up 20% of your grade.

I learned my lesson though. Didn't have any finals jitters the next semester.

CanadianGreenBeret

Postby CanadianGreenBeret » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Sleeping through exams is bad... I haven't fully slept through one ever, but I did show up to my Automata Theory final with 15 minutes (out of 90) left in the exam. I made a B+ in the course, but that was mainly because of a horrible professor and a huge curve. Midterm median grade was 60%, with a standard deviation of 22. I'm pretty sure I ended up with about a 70 in that class and a B+.

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Resorted to trig in a simple scaling problem. Multiple choice, and I still got it wrong. I hate it when I think too hard.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

Return to “School”