"Ouch" moments in school

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Decker

Re: "Ouch" moments in school

Postby Decker » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

I had one professor that gave me, and everyone else, a very rough time. During my Theory of Computation class, I was struggling at best. During the midterm, I got a 36. Highest grade in the class was mid sixties. My final grade was a C-.

I will never, ever have that professor again
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

Well here's a fucking "ouch" moment. My uni just booted me out of the honors college. I can't afford uni without the scholarship they give me to be an honors student, which will remain available for one more semester to give me time to get my grades back up.

[RANT]
Spoiler:
To keep it I need a GPA of 3.2 and B or better in all honors courses. This pissy little man who doesn't even teach real courses gave me a C in an honors seminar because I skipped class for exams instead of sitting partway through class thinking about my exam while some moron drones on about about a book on monkey brains. Without the absences counted I have an A-.

Oh, and I can see that the quality of my teachers in the Computer Science department is getting steadily better! They started me with the worst teacher in the department, followed by the second-worst. This semester I will receive the incredible blessing of a merely mediocre professor! RatemyProfessors.com says there are a whole bunch of great profs in our department, but somehow none of them ever teach courses below the 300 or 400 level!

And God damn all the fucking ridiculous honors requirements. It starts with that stupid seminar, which we actually have to take 3 times in freshman, junior, and senior year. Then you have to take 2 honors courses a year, even if that means adding extra seminars or colloquiua on top of your normal class load because your department doesn't cater to the honors college by offering special honors sections of courses that would normally have only one section anyway. Or you can just take honors courses outside of your major. And you have to take an honors general-education course.

Now combine the extra honors requirements with the grade and GPA requirements, and it becomes clearer and clearer why I know so many upperclassmen in engineering and science majors who told the honors college to fuck off so they could get good grades without the extra crap.

Oh, and to top the whole fucking thing off, I was really kind of hoping to go to grad school! A good grad school! So even though this was just freshman year, I now have to keep fulfilling all the stupid requirements this university throws at me, the requirements the honors college throws at me (at least until I can find some other source of money), and getting As in all of it! There goes my fucking social life. So now I can happily spend my time learning everything on my own to compensate for the complete inability of anyone in this university to teach students! My courses outside the CS major (ie: in the Math department, for example) don't even get taught by full professors. Instead, we get some postdoc earnestly explaining things to us as best he can.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT. I FUCKING HATE HAVING TO BE THE FUCKING BEST AT WHATEVER THE HELL THE DAMN SCHOOL WANTS WHEN THEY WON'T EVEN PUT IN THE SLIGHTEST FUCKING EFFORT! I could learn this stuff more easily through self-study!

Oh well, at least operating systems this semester should be easy enough. I learned OSs a couple years ago for a hobby.

[/RANT]
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

ohnoesmilk

Postby ohnoesmilk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

Nothing to see here.
Last edited by ohnoesmilk on Mon May 03, 2010 5:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?

ohnoesmilk

Postby ohnoesmilk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

In French class Freshman year there was a guy who always complained about how boring the class is. One day he asked the teacher how to say "This class is boring" in french. Now, our teacher is usually pretty calm and timid, but after he asked her that she snapped. She yelled at him for being an ass and such and ended up telling him to stand outside in the hall. But then she suddenly apologized and said she was just PMSing.

Needless to say, the whole class burst out laughing.
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?

Ciega

Postby Ciega » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

I had what I thought was going to be and ouch moment in Chemistry 1 last year. The teacher was very fond of giving extremely hard/long tests. But he did warn us about them in advance. This particular one was going to be graded the way they do standardized mulitple-choice tests, giving -1/4 point for wrong answers so people can't just guess. We were also allowed to use some notes on it but he warned us that "It will take you the whole 45 minutes to finish, and that's if you know what you're doing." I was pretty confident that I did know what I was doing, and most of the problems were just putting the right numbers into the right formula, but I still didn't even have time to look at all the questions. About 3/4 of the way throught the test, I started skipping problems because they'd take too long to do, and I still didn't get to the last three. I was pretty upset, considering that on the last "hard test" I had 15 minutes left over. I got a B minus. But then I found out that that was the second highest grade out of both classes. He ended up curving it a lot-- some people got negative scores.
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, add one to the generation number and put it in your signature on any forum. Social experiment.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Well, this one isn't actually an "ouch" for the student, but for the teacher who I heard it from:

My former science teacher, who was also our Science Olympiad coach, was once invited to write the test for an event for the state tournament. Knowing that the tiebreaker for the event was a pain in the butt to grade, he had come up with an ingenious idea to minimize ties: Make the test REALLY long. I think he said it was around 300 questions. Multiple choice, of course.

Then he found out (on the day of the tournament, I think) that the Science Olympiad guys didn't have Scantron equipment.

Now, for those of you who have never tried Science Olympiad, the events are held in the morning, and the results are announced the same day, in the afternoon.

This meant he had less than half a day to grade several THOUSAND questions. By hand.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Asmody

Postby Asmody » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Last year I was a writing tutor at my college. I quit because the job was so full of ouch.

Example: a bewildered freshman brings me a heart physiology lab report on the afternoon of the due date. 1.) Crayfish are arthropods, not "anthropoids". I warn her about the dangers of Spellcheck. 2.) I realize that she doesn't know how to cite, and she has contradicted herself several times in the discussion. Sigh. 3.) "Is it weird that this one had a negative heart rate?"

You're doin' it wrong.

niteice

Postby niteice » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:00 am UTC

On my physics final last year (paraphrased):

Code: Select all

Four point charges are placed on a grid like so:

(1) 15 uF            (4) __ uF
    o                    o
    |
    |
3cm |
    |
    |
    o--------------------o
(2) 12 uF     5cm     (3) 10 uF

What is the net force on the unknown charge blahblahblah...

I had about 20 minutes left in the period and figured this was the one I could do the quickest. Now, one might typically come up with vectors like so:

[math]F_{14} = 5cos(45)[/math]
[math]F_{34} = 3sin(45)[/math]

and add them and stuff.

However, in my haste and general distraughtness from doing EM and optics for the past two hours, I seem to have forgotten that basic property of vectors! I instead solved as:

[math]F_{24} = \sqrt{5^2 + 3^2} = 5.83N[/math]

WHOOPS.
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 am UTC

Worst ouch moment?

Putting my heart and soul into a physics class getting B's only to sit the mid year exam and get..... a D+..... :(
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

rho

Postby rho » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:38 am UTC

Mixed sex trampolining.
Fairly attractive girl spotting.
Straddle position.
Spoiler:

Very short shorts.

I'll leave the rest to your imaginations. (I didn't leave a lot to hers...) :oops:
Less Than Three.

Lolsaur

Postby Lolsaur » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

rho wrote:Mixed sex trampolining.
Fairly attractive girl spotting.
Straddle position.
Spoiler:

Very short shorts.

I'll leave the rest to your imaginations. (I didn't leave a lot to hers...) :oops:

Ah, that's not fun....Sorry to hear it. How'd she take it? Or did the two of you not talk at all after the incident?
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:46 am UTC

++$_ wrote:Needless to say, the AP tests were insanely easy after two semesters of this class.

I know this is from really far back, but I can't get my head around it. Surely if the students were marking the papers higher than they should have been then that shows they underestimated the standard of paper required to get the high marks, and so would have found the AP tests hard?
Jesus Christ you have confused me

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

Amoeba wrote:
++$_ wrote:Needless to say, the AP tests were insanely easy after two semesters of this class.

I know this is from really far back, but I can't get my head around it. Surely if the students were marking the papers higher than they should have been then that shows they underestimated the standard of paper required to get the high marks, and so would have found the AP tests hard?

The students were guessing what the grade was. Only the teacher's grade matters, and he graded very harshly. This caused all the students to vastly improve over the semester. Then, the AP graders graded less harshly than the teacher.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

On my first Psychology test i thought it was only 25 questions. So I go through them hand in my paper, wonder why im the first one done in the lecture hall of 300sih people. So I hand it in leave the room and just as I get out the door and am getting ready to leave the building the TA runs up. Apparently he was curious as to how I finished so quickly as well. Turns out there were 50 questions. So I had to walk back up to the front get the test back and go back to my seat and finish the test. Its better in the long run than the alternative. But there is an unmistakable feeling you get when 300 eyes are staring at you because of something you cocked up.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

hitokiriilh

Postby hitokiriilh » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Had a lab professor beyond stupid. I wrote up an 8-page theory section on a holography lab (lots of diffraction integrals and electrodynamics). Got the report back. He took points off because he didn't understand the mathematics. I wanted to hurt him. I think this is more of an ouch for him though - a physics professor seriously said he didn't understand the mathematics. I showed it to another professor and they understood it perfectly.

rho

Postby rho » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:29 am UTC

Lolsaur wrote:
Ah, that's not fun....Sorry to hear it. How'd she take it? Or did the two of you not talk at all after the incident?

Nah, she was fine. She was a canny lass, I was lucky it was her and not anyone of a more sensitive disposition really.
Less Than Three.

semicarbazone

Postby semicarbazone » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:59 am UTC

I remember in this sociology class, I was trying to ask my professor about what he was implying about pleistocene and human evolution

And he didn't understand what I was trying to ask, and I was like, I'm sorry I just can't figure out a different way to say it, and he replied "Well you should know how to formulate a question by now". Not as a passing joke, but as an actual insult that ended with like 10 seconds of silence within the entire class

And I just sat there, feeling like crap while everyone in the class just looked at me :oops:

ElvetPuff

Postby ElvetPuff » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:20 am UTC

During one of my first Discrete Mathematics lectures in my first year of University the lecturer asked the class to work out the number of permutations of some set of objects (I forget exactly). My hand shot up:

Me: "It's x times y times z".

Lecturer: "I don't understand."

Me: "Um.. The answer.. You times x and y and z together."

Lecturer: "What do you mean?"

Me (I'm really rather confused now): "Well, er..."

Lecturer: "Now. Listen. Everyone. There's no such thing as 'times' it's 'multiply'. As mathematicians you should all know this."

** awkward silence **

Me (sheepishly): "Sorry!"

Then everyone wet themselves laughing. It was the tension in the room which made it funny :)

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:14 pm UTC

I absolutely hate creative writing, and although English ends up being one of best subjects grade-wise, I can't stand it.
So I'm in Extension English, as are all my friends and we have this assignment - to re-write a fairytale so that it's modern and relevant to today's society.
I just can't seem to do it. I procrastinate, waste the in class time we have to write it and just sit at the computer with a blank document open wondering what I'm going to do about the assignment. Anyway, it was due in a particular week, and we could hand it in any day that week. Everyone in the class worked for ages, put serious thought into it, handed their stories in on the Monday or Tuesday, and it was just me left (and I still hadn't written anything). By this stage I'm freaking out, but can't seem to get anything down on paper. On the Thursday night, I was up until the early hours, writing "The 3 Businessmen Brian" (3 Billy Goats Gruff...). Handed it in the next day, thought it was terrible. Complained & stressed to all my friends, because it was the only assignment that would count for our grade that term.
Then I get it back and I got A+, the highest mark in the class. Everyone just stared at me and were sort of mad because they'd put so much effort into theirs and I wrote it at the last second and didn't even think about what I was writing.
I know as far as things go its a good 'ouch' moment. But still....
If all the village idiots, from all the villages, came together to form their own village, of idiots - in that village, you would be the village idiot

bushdayroses

Postby bushdayroses » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

A few of mine:

AP US Hist - Got a D on a paper. Brought the teacher a 24-pack of Diet Pepsi and he moved it up to a B.

AP Chem - all of the answers to one test were "B". You should have seen the valedictorian going crazy trying to figure out the answers thinking they couldn't possibly all be "B".

Dynamic Mechanics - I got a 9/100 on the second test.

Calc II - First test, I get a 26/100. Each test starts with 12 points, so I managed 14 points on my own. My professor told me this was the worst test grade he'd ever given in 9 years of teaching and I'd be better off just dropping the class.

Differential Equations, Vibrations, and Controls II - I had an 88% going in to the final. Somehow I managed a 46% on the final. Dropping me from an A- to a C+. Curved up to a B- though....
gmalivuk wrote: A naked human will remain as scrumptious a meal as ever.

Jonolith wrote: Pineapples; God's way of saying "Just don't eat pineapples" :)

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

SPsnow02 wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The stares I get when tests are handed back, and the teacher says "And as usual, [MightyJalapeno] was the only one to get an A..."

Thanks, dick.

This Reminds me of 9th Grade Biology Midterm, It was a 200 Point test, and with Extra Credit the possible was 102.5%, I missed one point and ended up with a 102.3% and then the teacher curved the test OUT OF THE HIGHEST GRADE, and told the class it was my 102.3%, and that I dropped all their scores >.> (Not in those exact words, but they figured it out..)

Then it's not extra credit. For it to be extra credit, the curve would have to be based on your score on all the non-extra-credit questions. That it was curved on your 102.3% score means that the teacher was lying and it was really a 205-point test.

ElvetPuff wrote:During one of my first Discrete Mathematics lectures in my first year of University the lecturer asked the class to work out the number of permutations of some set of objects (I forget exactly). My hand shot up:

Me: "It's x times y times z".

Lecturer: "I don't understand."

Me: "Um.. The answer.. You times x and y and z together."

Lecturer: "What do you mean?"

Me (I'm really rather confused now): "Well, er..."

Lecturer: "Now. Listen. Everyone. There's no such thing as 'times' it's 'multiply'. As mathematicians you should all know this."

** awkward silence **

Me (sheepishly): "Sorry!"

Then everyone wet themselves laughing. It was the tension in the room which made it funny :)

Lecturer fail. "[term1] times [term1]" is a 100% valid way of saying "the product of [term1] and [term2]" - that's like saying "there's no such thing as 'plus' it's 'add'." - you were incorrect to say "you times ... together", but the lecturer should never have feigned ignorance of the meaning of 'x times y times z' in the first place.

SlesterPanechy

Postby SlesterPanechy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

This is more of a literal ouch moment. Our year 11 physics teacher took us out to the school fields for a lesson on parabolic paths of tennis balls. As with all practical experiments, the class dicked about for the whole hour. My friends and I ended up just throwing the tennis ball in a circle. I threw the ball over the head of my friend on the other side of the circle, he turned to chase the ball and collided head on with our teacher who was knocked out. Needless to say he never lived down the episode.

Norumu

Postby Norumu » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

I've got two: One ouch for a class I was in, another Ouch for me
First Ouch: For the Class:
Back in high school, I took an electronics course at my local community college, and its next class of digital systems. I had the basic class the day before the digital class. I rocked face in the whole semester in both classes. Finals came around, and while I was in the digital systems class, my professor (Who was the same professor for the basic electronics course), pulled me aside during break saying to not be alarmed on my final grade for the electronics course, and that there was no error. Apparently, I got a 100% on the final, and because of that, there would be no curve in the class. So, he decided to ignore my grade to curve the class, because without the curve, about 50% of the class would have failed. I ended up with a 143% on the final, with about 115% final course grade.
I could only think, "A 43% curve? What the heck?"

Second Ouch:
Also in high school, I was taking the high road with AP Calculus courses. In my senior year, I was in the AP Calculus BC course. Now, I'm an engineering student and whatnot, but I despise calculus and all calculus courses (Oddly enough, I'm rather good at physics, even the ones with a calculus base). I received a D in that AP Calculus BC course... but to my later demise, I managed a 5 (top score!) on the AP exam. That 5 had me skip Calculus I-III in college, so I jumped right into Multivariable Calculus in my freshman year. It was also a morning class. In my mind, I failed the class, but the professor passed me with a D. It hurts the GPA, the transcripts, and my lack of real calculus knowledge has caused me to take Differential Equations three times now, going on number four. It's not good D:
Signature

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:32 am UTC

I once got a 8050 out of a 100 point test. Raised me from F- failing to 149%.

Fuck.
Yes.

All due to the period key not working. Or something.
(80.50)
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:59 am UTC

Gears wrote:I once got a 8050 out of a 100 point test. Raised me from F- failing to 149%.

Fuck.
Yes.

All due to the period key not working. Or something.
(80.50)

Has it been officialized? If so then, well, damn I wish I was you.

Why Two Kay

Postby Why Two Kay » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:59 am UTC

That reminds me of when I got a 99399 for a quiz. Apparently, I got a 99 and so the did the next student. When entering the grades, my teacher hit the "3" on the numpad when going to "Enter". She eventually noticed her mistake and fixed it. My average never went over 100, since averages (but not individual grades) are capped at 100%.

However, before the limit was introduced, a friend of mine got a 107 on a 2xTest, and the teacher entered it as a 701. He had a 231 average and it showed up on his report card. This was 7th grade though, so none of the grades actually mattered.
tl;dr - I said nothing important.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:54 am UTC

That reminds me of one occurrence I had myself, when my band teacher accidentally hit the "9" key twice, giving me a score of something like 998/100 for one band lesson. For a short while, I had 490-some percent in band.
Last edited by Poochy on Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

lamito

Postby lamito » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

this guy in one of my friends classes upon reciving a B on an exam cried.
also in grade nine (we were all around the 14 year old mark) we had spelling tests in english. the words were things such as beautiful, caravan etc. some people recived 3's and once i think someone recieved a 2.
i naturally didn't really care about these tests and managed to get 19/20 most of the time, these people were actually trying.
*thumbs up and grin creepy-like*
Spoiler:
you just wasted a few seconds of your life. congratulations

maafy6

Postby maafy6 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:39 am UTC

My third year in college I was in an algorithms class. It started out blindingly slow, especially for a math major, while all the gamer comp sci kids (you know, the ones that only chose CS for a major because the only thing they like to do is eat cheetos and play WoW and Halo all day) stumbled over basic set math and proof by induction. Being a TR class, and my first in the day, I said screw it, I'll skip it this week. So I did. The next week, I apparently adjusted very quickly and slept through my alarm or failed to properly set it. This happened for one more week, which was followed by Spring Break. Upon returning, I realized I should probably return to class. So I look on our website to see what's happened. Topic, topic, yada yada midterm two blah...wait. i don't remember midterm two. I missed midterm two. Midterm two was a take home exam!? Mother ------!

The professor was fair, so he wouldn't allow me to make it up. I ended with a C in the class, having missed an exam and all. My final semester I did research with him, actually - the crux of what I was working on was, naturally - algorithm complexity.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:33 am UTC

i wasn't there for this one which was actually up on bash.org but in a high school bio class a teacher is explaining how seamen is mostly sugar. Anyways this girl then ask clearly without thinking if that's the case why doesn't it sweet? the teacher then replied because you taste sweetness with the tip of your tongue not the back of your throat. She then turned bright red.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

phisics camp. awesome mistakes:

b) question about mirage: a man walks in a flat hot desert, and sees a pool two hundred metres ahead. explain the phenomenon.

a guy actually assumed there was a pool there, and went through the whole question assuming that.

b) two people were doing an expirament to find the friction constant of a pair of cans by wrapping a string around them and mesuring the mass needed to pull it against the wrapping angles a,b. they accidentaly made a graph of a against b. the system was built so that a+b=pi. so they ended up finding pi. one of them got it wrong.

c) a teacher was telling people about the stupid mistakes in our camp, telling about a,b. then I some up to him and ask "say, in the mirage question, were we supposed to assume the earth was flat?" so he goes on to say "oh, yeah, and speaking of the stupid things these guys do, there was that one time a guy asked me if he was allowed to assume the earth was flat."
It rains on the enemy too!

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

ohnoesmilk wrote:In French class Freshman year there was a guy who always complained about how boring the class is. One day he asked the teacher how to say "This class is boring" in french. Now, our teacher is usually pretty calm and timid, but after he asked her that she snapped. She yelled at him for being an ass and such and ended up telling him to stand outside in the hall. But then she suddenly apologized and said she was just PMSing.

Needless to say, the whole class burst out laughing.

Our French teacher was a complete bitch. Me and my friend spent the majority of our time either getting yelled at or getting kicked out of class for things such as this: Chalk fights, eraser throwing, who can scream the loudest contests, calling her a bitch, stabbing people with scissors (i stabbed my best friend and drew blood, at this point she didn't bother yelling at me, just kind of shook her head)

one time I got kicked out and she told me to wait outside so she could come talk to me. so i went outside, layed down, and fell asleep. I later woke up to the sound of her screaming and the entire class laughing their asses off upon her finding me.
Philwelch wrote:Would a prostitution enthusiast be a buy-sexual?

...sorry.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

Finding out that this years tutor for me is to be the one teacher to ever gave me an E, and loved to embarrass me in front of the class by taking my work and pulling it to pieces, when the work she was giving us was more 'Drama' than 'English'.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

JGTC

Postby JGTC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Getting 1s on both my AP Calc tests despite doing better than nearly everyone in my class at every test.

Not studying for a Physics test and doing better than my previous 3 that I had studied for.

Being accused of cheating on a chemistry test, arguing my case, and finding out that I only scored
a 49% anyway.

My AP English teacher loved me even though I was incredibly rude most of the time and constantly picked
everything she said apart. Halfway thru the year I started being nice and she started hating me.

Doing the summer homework for AP US History 2 days before it was due, only to find 4 days later I did the
completely wrong sections.

Getting threatened with the banhammer for calling several faculty members "idiotic dicks."

Helping to get flash drives banned in school.

Having to do way more community service than was required by the school. (This really has nothing to do with the
school itself, but I did do janatorial services in the school to help fulfill the requirements. It also pushed
back the finish date for the original hours by at least 3 months because I had to do these hours first and they didn't
cross back and forth)

My track coach... I'm not even going to start on failure coaches.

Being one of only two people in my Spanish class that could actually hold a conversation in the language, yet still
getting passed over for an award and some scholarship money just because I didn't have a 100% every year. Nevermind
that doing well in a class has nothing to do with actually using the knowledge, (I have more than a few friends that
score better than me simply because they can regurgitate shit better than I can) but I refuse to believe that one
of the two that received the award actually had a 100% all four years.

Not reading the last book required for grade 10 English final, scoring a 25% on it, and still doing better than
some people who read it. BS is golden.

Selling pre-written programs in my C++ class to the numerous idiots that shouldn't have been there, making a good
deal of cash, then having to give it all back and getting threatened with the banhammer for helping others cheat.

If I think of more I'll add them.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:50 am UTC

JGTC wrote:Not studying for a Physics test and doing better than my previous 3 that I had studied for.

I did that with a chemistry test and managed to get the highest grade in the class. I have no idea how because I'm generally not that good at it.

Once on a physics test when we had to find out the original temperature of a mass of ice I made a mistake somewhere in the calculations. I ended up with a starting temperature of around -8000 Kelvin. Maybe not a big ouch moment but I felt really stupid when I couldn't find the error.

When I was like 15 or so a girl in my class asked our physics teacher if the dinosaurs existed before or after Big Bang. *facepalm*

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

Islam helps women choose the clothes they want to wear.

We were talking about religion's effect on the economy, and my global issues class isn't the brightest. One mentioned Islam helping the clothing industry because of face veils. The teacher tried to sum up the point (because it had a lot of "likes" and "umms") but added the word "choose".

I literally said ouch because I *headdesked* overzealously
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:56 am UTC

I just spent two hours working on the first of six problems for my statics class, only to realize that I had done all the work on the wrong side of engineering papers (the graph side, not the blank side). I blame being sick, but I still have to go back and transfer all that work to the right side of new papers (my prof is very picky). :(

Anyways, in my first semester of college, I recieved a D in calc 2. This was partially due to not having as strong a background in calc one as some of my peers, having taken it in high school, and more because this was an 8 am class that I managed to attend somewhere around 30% of the time. So I decide to retake the class the next semester, figuring that not only will I raise my grade, I will probably be able to get an A or a B with ease. March comes around, and I come down with a flu. I continue to go to classes, but eventually get to the point where I am not able to get anything out of them. I figure I'll take one day where I just sleep, making sure to schedule said day for a thursday, when I don't have any exams.
Unfortunantly, I managed to lose track of which day it was, thanks in no small part to having a fever, and I slept in through a wednesday instead. This wednesday happened to be one where I had three seperate tests.
Yeah, that kinda ruined my month (I was able to make up two of them, but my calc professor wouldnt let me, as I hadn't gone to the clinic, and I ended up with a C+ in the class, rather than the B+ or A- I would otherwise have had).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:56 am UTC

Hmmm. There was that one time, in Oral Comm (Sophomore year of HS), when we had to come up with fallacy-filled advertisements for stuff from the vending machines, and them perform the scripts in front of the class. My group chose a PayDay bar, I think. One of the things we decided to include in our advertisement was "it has peanuts in it, and peanuts are good for you, so it must be healthy!" The poor guy who had that particular portion of the presentation said "penis" instead of "peanuts". He was mocked for the rest of the semester for that.

Oh, right, I almost forgot. More recently, in my Senior year of HS, I was taking a Theology class (Jesuit HS). My handwriting is incredibly bad, so I had an accommodation to use a laptop in class for everything except tests and quizzes, which I was allowed extra time on. One day, early in the semester, my teacher gave us an in-class assignment out of the book. I checked the network, and noticed it was down, so I asked him if I could just put it on a thumbdrive and e-mail it to him from one of the school's computers on the wired network right after class. He told me to just write it.

When he handed them back the next day, I noticed that he had gotten as far as question 6 before giving up on my handwriting and just writing "type this" on the sheet.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:17 am UTC

Your handwriting's so bad you have a special accommodation?

This requires pictures.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:Your handwriting's so bad you have a special accommodation?

This requires pictures.

Agreed. I've always been told I have pretty sloppy handwriting but I've never been told it's so bad that they'd rather I typed all the answers.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Return to “School”