Squirrel Club

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Mikagon

Squirrel Club

Postby Mikagon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

So I go to college in Michigan and apparently the Univeristy of Michigan has a squirrel club. From my understanding the club goes around the campus and feeds the squirrels that have practically no fear of people. I'm not really sure if they do anything else. But I also know that there's a group of students at my college who basically do the same thing but it's not an 'official' club. Now when I walk to class I haven't really seen all that many squirrels except in the distance. Today one ran into my leg while I was trying to traverse across a particularly icy patch of sidewalk. It scared the crap out of me as the squirrel was almost as big as a cat! I almost stepped on it by accident but some girl behind me started yelling at me to leave it alone and I promptly lost my balance and fell into the snow. She had the audacity to come over and tell me sternly that squirrels have rights too, etc. and to not bother them. It freaking ran into me! Does anyone else find the amount of attention directed towards squirrels disturbing?

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Re: Squirrel Club

Postby OmenPigeon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Squirrels can fucking die. We have absurdly tame squirrels at my school, and I happen to have a rain gutter go right under my window. I also like to keep a couple apples around my room so if I get peckish at night I can have a quick snack. I also like fresh air, so when it's about 40 degrees or more outside I like to leave my windows open. This, apparently, is interpreted as an invitation for squirrels.

They waltz right into my room, eat my food, and leave bits of it all over my bed. Once, a squirrel came into my room while I was at class, ate one my apples, left the core under my pillow, and shit on my microwave on the way out. Coming back from eight hours of class, flopping into bed and finding a goddamn squirrel treat there is no good at all.

So, yeah. Squirrels can fucking die.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

As a MIchigan alum, yes, I find the amount of squirrel attention a bit overmuch.

But they are sooo cute!
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

olcaddy

Postby olcaddy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:But they are sooo cute!

Cute for being rats with furry tails.
I do appreciate their ingenuity and determination to break into bird feeders no matter how hard we try to 'squirrel proof' them. Ok so maybe this one will actually work
http://www.xkcd.com/382/.
But still they seem smart-ish

Heather

Postby Heather » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:47 am UTC

RPI has an albino squirrel that hops around campus. I haven't been there since I graduated in 02, but it seems he/she is still around. :)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Is that the one with the website and T-shirts and suchforth?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Nebulae

Postby Nebulae » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Squirrels are the origin of ninja.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Heather wrote:RPI has an albino squirrel that hops around campus. I haven't been there since I graduated in 02, but it seems he/she is still around. :)

There's a similar one in University of North Texas that has two cult followings: one that believes the albino squirrel is a godsend and if you happen to witness it you will have good luck, and another that simply wants to shoot the goddamn squirrel because they're sick of hearing things like, "no, I don't feel like studying, I'm just going to bank on seeing the albino squirrel before the exam."
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

That is ridiculous, trying to give squrrels rights. I see plenty of them every day, and I love them, but they're really a nuisance.

Although, they are adorable...
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

Not to be all anti-American, or anything, but your grey rats have all but eradicated the beautiful British red squirrel.

It's like in the Sword in the Stone. Notice how Merlin was a raggedy old grey squirrel, and the cute girl squirrel was a sexy brick-red? Yeah. We don't have sexy red squirrels in the UK no mo'.

Also I witnessed a grey squirrel stealing sunflower seeds I had planted that morning, before racing off, probably to mug an old lady and spit on a vulnerable member of society.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

jera

Postby jera » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:47 am UTC

At NSU* there are signs on every door; That warn people not to open doors when squirrel's** are within 15 feet of the door. As they will run into the buildings at the first oportunity.

*Dont make fun of me because of my choice in school. I know NSU is a crapy school, but I have a 4 year full ride with pretty lenient scholarship requirments, So shut it.

**I hate the word "Squirrel" no matter how I spell it, I think it's wrong.
If you try to fail and succeed, what have you done?

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

What's creepier about UNT is some of the staff have calenders with really special looking photos of that albino squirrel. We don't have a club for them in general, and when I first heard about that albino one was long enough ago that it's probably dead by now. We do have a club for feral/stray cats though, which I think is worse.

I hope that particular club encourages the cats being captured, spayed/neutered and re-released. I've only seen one cat the whole time I'm here, but encouraging them to become a giant cat colony doesn't sound like a good idea.

Return to “School”