Why the hell am I paying this school-

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Damien

Why the hell am I paying this school-

Postby Damien » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

When my professors bail on class four to five times a semester?

Physics, Astronomy, Sociology, both my English classes and my one Art class.
Each prof. has bailed at least twice, with Astronomy heading at five.

I hate Community Colleges.
I also hate being too poor to afford paying, but making too much to qualify for financial aid.

What about you guys, what prof. has skipped more class than your average high schooler?

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Re: Why the hell am I paying this school-

Postby scowdich » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

This past semester, I had a math class - linear algebra. The professor assigned to the course failed to show up on the first day, was fifteen minutes late on the second, and was gone again on the third. The next day the dean of the math department informed us that we'd be getting a new professor, and we did. One of the best professors I've ever had.
Consider this a shout-out, Dr. Bob.

Damien

Postby Damien » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

Why would you agree to teach a class if you can't make it?

Mr. Freeman

Postby Mr. Freeman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

I took a community college class once. The professor was there on the first day to inform us that he wasn't going to be there for the next 2 weeks. He emailed us all later to tell us he wasn't going to be there for a week after that either. We missed the first 3 weeks of class minus the first day. Now that I think about it, I probably should have gone straight to the administration and demanded a refund, but we covered more than the class usually covers even without missing those 3 weeks.

darren

Postby darren » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:52 am UTC

During my 4.5 years at berkeley, only once did a prof skip class, and she had a valid reason. I say report the professors to the admins, and get other students to do the same.

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

I'v never had a prof skip a class. twelve week strikes, yes, skip classes, no. well, there was one time, but he had someone filling in.
It rains on the enemy too!

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:06 am UTC

I had a prof forget that he HAD class. Some people called him from the class and he thought it was a prank call. Turns out he was given the wrong schedule.

Other than that, only a few class cancellations. Didn't really mind them, usually legit- going to conferences or something like that.

Korandder
Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory

Postby Korandder » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:12 am UTC

One of my astronomy profs had to go to Hawaii for something so he arranged for one of the astronomy grad students to invigilate our midterm. Unfortunately the poor grad student forgot that she had to supervise the exam and did not show up until mid way through the class. Since we did not have enough time to write the exam, it was postponed until the next week.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:17 am UTC

My 1st year CDT teacher skipped out for a whole year-I think we had something in the region of 20 different teachers, and none of them stuck very long... Damn I'm glad that never happened in Physics-my teacher is
A) Amazing and
B) Amazing!

Maybe

Postby Maybe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:56 am UTC

One of my friends had all three of his Music teachers bail twice in one week.
All the horror stories I've heard about CC...
And I start Sept 3rd...
Boba Fett is my bro...ba... Fett..?

Tchiak

Postby Tchiak » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

I spent 2 years in community college. Central Texas College. Never had any of the issues you are all talking about. Professors skipping class was very rare and always for conferences or other things. My Calculus teacher was the department head for the math and physics department.

greenblob

Postby greenblob » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 am UTC

Damien wrote:Why would you agree to teach a class if you can't make it?

Most professors are required to. Either that or they can't get a different job.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

scowdich wrote:This past semester, I had a math class - linear algebra. The professor assigned to the course failed to show up on the first day, was fifteen minutes late on the second, and was gone again on the third. The next day the dean of the math department informed us that we'd be getting a new professor, and we did. One of the best professors I've ever had.
Consider this a shout-out, Dr. Bob.

Just for the record, I was going through a divorce, and my ex was in the class.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

lamito

Postby lamito » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:13 pm UTC

well one particalar teacher at my high school came about half an hour late twice (in a year) didn't show up once, no sub organised and when my older brother had him he didn't show up about two or three times. other than that another teacheer didn't show up without a sub, but she was so hated that we all prefered to sit outside for half an hour till another teacher relised we were unsupervised than put up with her pressence for 70 minutes.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:01 am UTC

I know what you mean. I had a professor that sometimes forgot that she had a night class and would show up some 20 minutes late. Wouldn't be so bad if the class wasn't only 75 minutes long. I still got a good grade, but ended up not knowing enough to do the same in Part II of the course.

I've had worse, though. Once my school catalogue listed a class that didn't exist anymore. I signed up for it, only to find out the day before the semester started. Fortunately, I was able to grab a replacement.
Anyway, I later found out that the professor that was supposed to teach the class had actually quit and nobody bothered to cancel his classes. Honestly, how could such a big mistake have gone unnoticed?
...It made more sense in my head.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

I once corrected the weekly math task papers of my students in the middle of the night, couldn't be woken by my alarm clock the next morning and came one hour late to the 1.5-hour class I should have been giving. Embarrasingly, the class started at 12 noon. :oops: I was not the prof, just one of several older students giving the weekly supporting / practicing classes (called tutorials) for first-year math students. More embarrisingly the students had gone to the prof to ask where I am and he had taken over my class. :oops: :oops: :oops: I couldn't think of a good excuse and simply said the truth that I had overslept. The prof answered he hoped he had such a good sleep.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Damien wrote:When my professors bail on class four to five times a semester?

I also hate being too poor to afford paying, but making too much to qualify for financial aid.

What about you guys, what prof. has skipped more class than your average high schooler?

Do you speak another language sufficiently well to go to another country? Studying outside the US is generally a lot cheaper, e.g. in Germany about half of the states demand roughly 1000 EUR/year and the other half 0 EUR/year. There is no such thing as "out of state" (except in Hamburg I think). And some universities offer complete English studies (I think Heidelberg does for some subjects).

Office_Shredder

Postby Office_Shredder » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
Damien wrote:When my professors bail on class four to five times a semester?

Do you speak another language sufficiently well to go to another country? Studying outside the US is generally a lot cheaper, e.g. in Germany about half of the states demand roughly 1000 EUR/year and the other half 0 EUR/year. There is no such thing as "out of state" (except in Hamburg I think). And some universities offer complete English studies (I think Heidelberg does for some subjects).

Out of state vs out of country is incredibly significant, especially in Europe where often part of the tab is picked up by the government
Physics question: I'm sitting at my desk doing homework, when I get up to make myself dinner. I sit back down again. Where the hell did my pen go?!? Objects at rest tend to stay at rest my ass

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:23 am UTC

Out of state vs out of country is incredibly significant, especially in Europe where often part of the tab is picked up by the government

In Germany it isn't, and for our partner schools in France and the Netherlands it isn't. Maybe in the UK, I don't know, they are fairly expensive in comparison with other European countries - but still cheaper than US schools.

Snowdream

Postby Snowdream » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Monika wrote:

In Germany it isn't, and for our partner schools in France and the Netherlands it isn't. Maybe in the UK, I don't know, they are fairly expensive in comparison with other European countries - but still cheaper than US schools.

My sister in Würzburg got her degree on a steal >.> She then went to Stüttgart and she got her masters (Equiv) fairly cheap compared to what I paid/am paying.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

What does "on a steal" mean?

lamito

Postby lamito » Wed May 20, 2009 6:50 am UTC

Monika wrote:What does "on a steal" mean?

really, really cheap. almost as though you stole it
*thumbs up and grin creepy-like*
Spoiler:
you just wasted a few seconds of your life. congratulations

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

2 isn't a lot. Even profs in decent universities tends to skip 2~3 classes for conferences. I have once which skipped at least 5 as well. It was still a great class, however.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Wed May 20, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

Many professors do miss class for half a week to a week to go to a national or regional conference. That isn't slacking: it's part of their job.

Many of the other problems I've seen mentioned in this thread probably are related to universities' increasing reliance on adjuncts to teach many of their classes. For those of you who don't know, not all professors are the same: at most universities, only the "full" professors and "assistant" professors are actually employed by the university at something resembling full time. If you see that your prof is listed as an adjunct or a lecturer, it probably means that they're being paid a token amount ($2000~5000) for that specific course; no insurance, benefits, etc. Many people graduate with their PhD's, enter the ridiculously competitive academic job market, can't land a tenure track position, and consequently have to try to make ends meet by lining up as many adjunct gigs as possible, potentially requiring many hours of commuting between different colleges each day. Since they don't really "belong" to the university at which they're teaching, they often don't get an office, aren't respected by the tenure track professors there, and are basically powerless within their department. All of which is to say: life as an adjunct sucks. That doesn't excuse your profs for missing class, but try to give them the benefit of the doubt. They probably missed because their car broke down, or they had to drive two hours up from Kalamazoo, not because they're like a typical college student who got smashed the night before and was too hungover to make it to class on time.

That said, if you've actually got a problem with it, speak to someone in authority. First person to approach would be the professor herself; if that doesn't work, maybe an email to the department chair.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

Depends. There are quite a few lecturers I have met which I think are better than most profs. Note that unlike profs, they can be fired for not teaching well. This means that most of them will put an effort in teaching. In fact, it is often the lecturers and grad students who hosts the competitive contest club/practices, and they often do a very good job at it.

As for whether they are powerless, we had more than 1 lecturer who served as the undergraduate chair before.

SiTiC.Hybrid

Postby SiTiC.Hybrid » Thu May 21, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

This last semester finished me with community college. We had a teach who hadn't looked at her syllabus or assignment sheets in years- our final project was due 'June 6, 2006'. Never explained assignment sufficiently- emphasized that we would learn via feedback on previous assignments. Than didn't grade assignments for weeks. I received a grade on the third assignment when I was turning in my final. Of which, there were questions on the final that she only covered in the class before, even though they related to material taught the first week.

This didn't keep her from informing us lengthy about her former marriage, other classes, the new job she just started- and called in on her first day at said job. and more other digressions than I could keep track of.

In general, CC for me- The harder I worked on assignments, the less difference it made. I could churn out work in half an hour that either got 3 points less than what i did in three hours, or actually got more. Given a presentation-type project that was supposed to take a month, I did most of it off the top of my head. Scored 96. A student who totally misunderstood a requirement of the presentation got 94.

Are the degrees these schools hand out actually worth anything?

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Fri May 22, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Masily box wrote:Many professors do miss class for half a week to a week to go to a national or regional conference. That isn't slacking: it's part of their job.

One of my Astronomy professors had to miss a week of class for a national conference. Since he didn't want us to get behind, he had a guest lecturer come in. The guest lecturer ended up being the author of our textbook so that worked pretty well.

However, I've also seen situations where it didn't go so well. Last fall, one of the Evidence classes at my school was supposed to be taught by a big-name professor. However, the professor had a major health problem crop up after the first week of class. Neither the teacher, the students or the administration wanted to have a replacement teacher cover the class, although probably not for the same reasons. However, after 4 weeks of a 14 week semester, it became apparent that a replacement was necessary and another teacher covered the class.

But yeah, teachers will miss class. Good teachers will take this into account when writing the syllabus. As for bad teachers, absences probably are not your biggest worry.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

LISStryfe

Postby LISStryfe » Sat May 23, 2009 11:19 am UTC

SiTiC.Hybrid wrote:This last semester finished me with community college. We had a teach who hadn't looked at her syllabus or assignment sheets in years- our final project was due 'June 6, 2006'. Never explained assignment sufficiently- emphasized that we would learn via feedback on previous assignments. Than didn't grade assignments for weeks. I received a grade on the third assignment when I was turning in my final. Of which, there were questions on the final that she only covered in the class before, even though they related to material taught the first week.

This didn't keep her from informing us lengthy about her former marriage, other classes, the new job she just started- and called in on her first day at said job. and more other digressions than I could keep track of.

In general, CC for me- The harder I worked on assignments, the less difference it made. I could churn out work in half an hour that either got 3 points less than what i did in three hours, or actually got more. Given a presentation-type project that was supposed to take a month, I did most of it off the top of my head. Scored 96. A student who totally misunderstood a requirement of the presentation got 94.

Are the degrees these schools hand out actually worth anything?

I just had the same thing happen to me. I wrote a paper in February that I put maybe 6 hours total into, absolutely hated, and got a A-. My term paper I put nearly 30 hours of work into... and she tore it apart. The way she had described it, you thought I had smeared cow dung on the paper and handed it to her. Yet still gave me a C+. My single lowest grade in my entire Grad program in anything. I still had a B+ in the course (again, lowest grade I got in my grad program), and graduated on Monday with a 3.9, graduated with Distinction so I'm not crying.

Return to “School”