xkcd's effect on your appreciation of science/maths

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

jaysix

Re: xkcd's effect on your appreciation of science/maths

Postby jaysix » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

I think xkcd has solidified the spirit of learning in me. I doubt that I've actually gone out and learned a whole lot because of what I read in the comic, but I feel more motivated to master knowledge in those subjects. It makes me realize that it is, in fact, cool to be knowledgeable.

riboflavin

Postby riboflavin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

Probably Human wrote:XKCD convinced me to take programming as one of my two electives next year. I don't know if I'll like it yet, but hopefully I'll be able to understand more of the jokes.

Professor: So, P.H., why have you taken this programming course?
P.H.: I want to better understand the jokes in xkcd, a comic on the internet.

Hah.

Incidentally, I'm curious, are there many teachers who frequent this forum? I just always imagined it to be university students and people in their late teens, despite me finishing uni about 2 years ago.
"Exothermic reactions are reactions which occur outside"

Quenouille

Postby Quenouille » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:02 am UTC

Hm, while this is a rather old thread, I just want to say that at the time this thread was made, I didn't know what a derivative was. I'm now majoring in mathematics, with a minor in interdisciplinary science.

I guess the comic really helped overcome the idea, drilled into me through highschool, that math/sciences had nothing to do with any sort of creativity whatsoever.

Thanks Randall.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:09 am UTC

Yay - threadomancy!

I was already an engineer before I found XKCD, but it's certainly increased my interest and appreciation of abstract theoretical physics. The applied stuff I'm pretty solid on, but the weird theoretical bits - that's new, and something I could never get interested in at school.

riboflavin

Postby riboflavin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:12 pm UTC

I guess part of the appeal of xkcd is the comfort in the knowledge that there are so many similarly-minded people out there.
"Exothermic reactions are reactions which occur outside"

Durin

Postby Durin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:33 am UTC

It gave me further motivation to attempt learning programming as well. I was already curious but now I'm doubly so. Also, majoring in Physics seemed like the furthest idea from my mind before I started reading this comic. Of course, I can't attribute this as the main reason for my becoming more interested in Physics and the sciences, but I can't help but think that xkcd further roused my curiosity.

ShayanThePersian

Postby ShayanThePersian » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:34 am UTC

It caused me to challenge myself more at math. I was always decent at it, but I couldn't get A's in the high-level honors classes, so I was about to just take regular math classes for an easy A, but I don't know, xkcd made me want to succeed in math. As for science and programming/computer science, I've always had an interest in those areas, so it hasn't affected that much, other than the fact that I show some of my teachers an occasional xkcd comic I know they would enjoy.

yavinfour

Postby yavinfour » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:57 am UTC

It caused me to get always perfect scores in my programming classes.
I love science since I was a kid and I can't just deny that XKCD is much better than Bill Nye when it comes to my appreciation of science/maths
It's got awesome humor for geeks like me (and for some nerds too!) and makes me curious of things I've never encountered before. :lol:

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

It didn't really make me appreciate it more, or work harder, or any of that. I already had that strong interest before I started reading xkcd. It really just appealed TO my appreciation of math and science, and that strengthened my interest in xkcd. So the other way around really.

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:13 am UTC

Over the last two years, I have been happy whenever I knew another equation in http://xkcd.com/55/. And when I understood the title-text (Even the identity matrix doesn't work normally), that was pure awesome.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

raspberryicicle

Postby raspberryicicle » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

To an extent, but I have always loved science and had a begrudging fondness of maths.

But there have been a few bits of science (e.g. the cosmic background radiation phenomenon) I have learned from XKCD, which I have then rattled off and sounded remarkably clever.

For example, the cosmic background radiation thing I learned from the "Science- it works, bitches" t-shirt.
My sister (who got me on to XKCD) showed it to me, immensely amused, and when I asked her what it meant, she went into the details (she is also a fan of physics and maths).

I like the comic's whole humour-for-smart-people thing. It's a nice break from the stupid crap the media's trying to brainwash us teens with 24/7.

mcclee

Postby mcclee » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

My current math/science classes are AP bio, AP environmental science, and AP calc- not subjects that xkcd discusses much though there are some calculus based jokes that I might not have gotten a year ago.

But xkcd has provoked new interest in other subjects. I'm a little intimidated by programming, but maybe I'll look into it. But additionally there are side jokes and math theorems that I hadn't known about until I wiki-ed them so I could understand an xkcd.

I haven't yet had an instance where I've astounded someone with my xkcd knowledge, but that's probably because I go to an incredibly nerdy school and half my friends read xkcd too....

Nakross

Postby Nakross » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Because of XKCD...I'm taking a programming heavy course in a polytechnic now. And loving it. And hating it. I swear, those deadlines... they just seem to come out of nowhere! Of course, there were other factors, XKCD just gently pushed me along to that choice. It's probably because it made programming seem less alien.

clair

Postby clair » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

I got introduced to xkcd at the same time I was taking Biology from an amazing teacher. I've always liked science, but more with a passing "Science. Cool." attitude. I'd say the combination of the two has definitely furthered my knowledge and appreciation, because somewhere along the line I realized OH MY GOD SCIENCE IS FUN.

And, on a side note, I look up things until I get the jokes, so it's definitely made me more knowledgeable. And the forums, blog, and comic provide me with a much appreciated dose of smart people (which apparently are hard to find in the real world).

DeltaOne

Postby DeltaOne » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

I wouldn't say appreciation, as I knew very well how necessary they are and how often they're taken for granted. Has it affected my enjoyment of them? I would say to a small extent. What it's really affected is my range of knowledge about this. I am not the best at these fields (Language arts & Social studies are my things), but since reading xkcd I find myself more willing to learn about this so I actually get the jokes.

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

xkcd really pushed me towards devoting more time to math and sciences. This year, I placed second in our division for Math League, which would not have happened if not for that extra effort. I also got a question about the third amendment right on a televised quiz bowl style competition because of the internet secretary story line.

dg61

Postby dg61 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:42 am UTC

mdyrud wrote:xkcd really pushed me towards devoting more time to math and sciences. This year, I placed second in our division for Math League, which would not have happened if not for that extra effort. I also got a question about the third amendment right on a televised quiz bowl style competition because of the internet secretary story line.

You play quizbowl? Where?

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

I am in Northern Minnesota. I am in High School Knowledge Bowl, and our team also competed on the High School Challenge, something a local TV station sponsors.

dg61

Postby dg61 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:17 am UTC

mdyrud wrote:I am in Northern Minnesota. I am in High School Knowledge Bowl, and our team also competed on the High School Challenge, something a local TV station sponsors.

I play in that cauldron of quizbowl, the mid-Atlantic. Have you found http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/? Also, do you play in many Saturday tournaments?

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:45 am UTC

No, I had not seen that forums, and I don't participate in many Saturday tournaments. We are a rather remote area, so we have one meet a week for a few months, and then the state tournament. It is our first year taking part in that televised competition, and that is only five rounds total, so we don't get that much in every year. It is still a lot of fun.

dg61

Postby dg61 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:14 am UTC

Check it out. There's a whole world beyond TV competition. How far are you from the Minneapolis-St. Paul area-there are a decent number of tournaments there.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 am UTC

xkcd somehow made me appreaciate math a little, but about science, I read a whole physics book page to page so it's an insignificant difference (a=0.05). Chemistry's a whole different topic though (i mean 300 equations that are acquired experimentally all involving 10 variables?)

1 thing about math I hate, I rot in my math tests because of switching + with - and mixing up 2 + 3 = 5 and 2 * 3 = 6.

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

I know exactly what you mean. I always drop negatives. I don't need a calculator to do math, but it certainly helps.

We are about six hours from the St. Paul area, so it is a little bit out of our range. Unfortunately.

dg61

Postby dg61 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

mdyrud wrote:I know exactly what you mean. I always drop negatives. I don't need a calculator to do math, but it certainly helps.

We are about six hours from the St. Paul area, so it is a little bit out of our range. Unfortunately.

Either way, check out the forums. Just don't bring up mathcomp-the last time it was brought up, the aftershocks were felt as far as the blogapeligo(the site is located on the eastern border of the Sea of Culture.)

Rockberry

Postby Rockberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

I was already a science geek to begin with so it didn't really affect my appreciation of it per se. Though it make me feel validated that there are others like me out there.

Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Watcher Of The Skies » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:56 am UTC

xkcd was definetly a part of my transition from a humanities guy to a sciences guy. As a child I had always been fascinated with science, but when I got to high school a combination of poor science curriculum/teachers and good humanities teachers made me begin to prefer Social Studies and English. It wasn't until last year (grade 11) that I started to love science again - grade 11 science courses were actually interesting, as we were finally learning about the how and not just memorizing the what. I also started reading xkcd at this time which exposed me to new concepts and more importantly got me reading independantly about science again. Also, to be perfectly honest, Lord of the Flies is partially responsible for my rekindled interest in science- if I hadn't hated English class so much last year, I probably wouldn't have been so keen to take science courses this year.

Thanks xckd, and thanks William Golding.

MildlyUpsetGrizzlyBear

Postby MildlyUpsetGrizzlyBear » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Yeah, I mean, probably.
I've loved these comics for a long time now,
and I'm pretty young, so my love for
the sciences and my love for these comics
are probably not mutually exclusive.

Uhm.

On a similar note, I just want to say
that I find it insanely irritating that our
academics don't get enough props for
all their achievements.

I mean.. the things that our scientists are doing
now are like MAGIC, people!! Come on,
it wasn't that long ago that we were
TRIPPING BALLS over fire.

And now we just use them as tools and excuses
for creating new and mind-bogglingly creative methods of
laziness and comfort.

We're such arrogant elephants
to think that we're anything more than
blind infants and that we could even
make it across the street without
scientists holding our hands.

I MEAN JESUS Ffja;lsdf CHRIST!!
I SERIOUSLY don't give a rat's ass
about perfect, $2 million boobs!!!!

RAAAAAGJAKHNLHKJASFLKJ.

(this entire post is completely relevant. SHOOT ME if you think otherwise.)

Vorpals

Postby Vorpals » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

I've always liked maths and science, but xkcd has furthered my interest in higher math and physics thanks to the jokes.

Return to “School”