Grad School 2009!!

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

RockoTDF

Grad School 2009!!

Postby RockoTDF » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:02 am UTC

Alright, so who is applying this year, where to, and what in? Anyone heard anything yet?

And for me....

SUNY Buffalo - Cognitive Psychology
University of Pittsburgh - Cognitive Neuroscience/Psychology
Carnegie Mellon University - Cognitive Neuroscience/Psychology
NYU - Neural Science
University of Minnesota - Neuroscience
University of Arizona - Psychology (Cognition and Neural Systems)
University of Colorado - Cognitive Psychology/Neuroscience
Wayne State University - Behavioral & Cognitive Neuroscience
Indiana University - Neural Science

Haven't heard anything back yet, but I'm not expecting to, although one of my friends recently heard back about an interview from one school. Oh the waiting game begins...
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

Masily box

Re: Grad School 2009!!

Postby Masily box » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:56 am UTC

Me! I am, and the wait (which I expect to last till March) is driving me crazy.

The list is:

Indiana University
Eastman School of Music (~Rochester University)
University of Chicago
Yale University
University of British Columbia

I'm applying for their programs in music theory, though one of my main interests is music cognition, which is gonna overlap with their cogsci/psych departments a good deal.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:45 pm UTC

RockoTDF wrote:Alright, so who is applying this year, where to, and what in? Anyone heard anything yet?

And for me....

SUNY Buffalo - Cognitive Psychology
University of Pittsburgh - Cognitive Neuroscience/Psychology
Carnegie Mellon University - Cognitive Neuroscience/Psychology
NYU - Neural Science
University of Minnesota - Neuroscience
University of Arizona - Psychology (Cognition and Neural Systems)
University of Colorado - Cognitive Psychology/Neuroscience
Wayne State University - Behavioral & Cognitive Neuroscience
Indiana University - Neural Science

Haven't heard anything back yet, but I'm not expecting to, although one of my friends recently heard back about an interview from one school. Oh the waiting game begins...

OOH OOH COME TO WAYNE STATE!! THEN I WILL FINALLY HAVE A FELLOW XKCD'ER HERE!

Ummm...guess what program I'm in? :D 1st year...2nd semester starts on Monday, finally my lab rotation starts! Weeeeeeeeee! *needs to look up CaM II Kinases still this weekend*

I will give you all my old exams for the IBS courses. And I will pray they get a different professor for RNA processing for IBS7020. Trust me, you do not want Lipobitch. Erm..'scuse me...Lipovitch. :P If not though, you can have the benefit of my old (even though crappy) exams heehee.

Oh yes and I know I heard from Wayne in early/mid February-ish. One of the awesome things about Wayne is that they support you ALL FOUR YEARS. It's not like a lot of schools where the stipend is first year and then after that it's up to the lab you are in. At Wayne, you get full support first two years, then half support for the 3rd and 4th year with the other half being from whatever lab you are in.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:
OOH OOH COME TO WAYNE STATE!! THEN I WILL FINALLY HAVE A FELLOW XKCD'ER HERE!

Ummm...guess what program I'm in? :D 1st year...2nd semester starts on Monday, finally my lab rotation starts! Weeeeeeeeee! *needs to look up CaM II Kinases still this weekend*

I will give you all my old exams for the IBS courses. And I will pray they get a different professor for RNA processing for IBS7020. Trust me, you do not want Lipobitch. Erm..'scuse me...Lipovitch. :P If not though, you can have the benefit of my old (even though crappy) exams heehee.

Oh yes and I know I heard from Wayne in early/mid February-ish. One of the awesome things about Wayne is that they support you ALL FOUR YEARS. It's not like a lot of schools where the stipend is first year and then after that it's up to the lab you are in. At Wayne, you get full support first two years, then half support for the 3rd and 4th year with the other half being from whatever lab you are in.

Sweet. If you are neuro person, you need to get over to the science board (and occasionally computer science) and dive into the brain related threads....

Fortunately every school I'm applying to has good support, it was one of my criteria for applying. Speaking of applying, what is the competition like getting in? (GPA, GRE, research experience, etc). The website says nothing about an interview, but I'm told that doesn't mean that there isn't one; is there?

Can you tell me a bit about what its like being in the program there? I listed Dr. Raz, Dr. Moffatt, and Dr. Fischer as being potential mentors. Are they decent guys to work with? How do they treat their students? (Point of clarification, I'm applying to the neuro program in the psych dept, I don't know if there is another one in a different dept, this has been the case elsewhere)
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

USC, UCSD for marine bio programs.
NYU - Sackler program for parasitology

Covering my bases with a few masters programs, Cal Poly's in various beautiful locations.

Anyone annoyed at a serious lack of updates on faculty websites? I had to pubmed the universities to find people I dug.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:36 am UTC

RockoTDF wrote:Sweet. If you are neuro person, you need to get over to the science board (and occasionally computer science) and dive into the brain related threads....

Fortunately every school I'm applying to has good support, it was one of my criteria for applying. Speaking of applying, what is the competition like getting in? (GPA, GRE, research experience, etc). The website says nothing about an interview, but I'm told that doesn't mean that there isn't one; is there?

Can you tell me a bit about what its like being in the program there? I listed Dr. Raz, Dr. Moffatt, and Dr. Fischer as being potential mentors. Are they decent guys to work with? How do they treat their students? (Point of clarification, I'm applying to the neuro program in the psych dept, I don't know if there is another one in a different dept, this has been the case elsewhere)
I am in the science board, and I saw that topic, but I didn't have time to read through it, plus I am more into small things...like signal transduction pathways...NMDA, glutamate, that sort of thing, and the title seemed to be overall architecture and I am not good with anatomy yet as I have not yet had that class.

Well...I had a bad last semester of undergrad (long story, basically the biochem lab class prof did a BIG oopsie and I am still trying to get comp as I have chronic migraines now from a chemical exposure) so my GPA upon graduation was 3.58. My GRE was taken after the exposure on migranes and drugs to control them so I had a low GRE score I can't recall off the top of my head but I think it was only like 610 for the analytical part that more matters. I did no subject tests. I did, however, have the research experience. I started working in the lab as a junior in high school with the head of biochemistry at my undergrad alma mater. My senior year of high school I started as a lab aide at a biotech company (Oxford Biomedical Research) where the second year I was there I "moved up" as I got my chemistry classes under my belt and I started doing Westerns and such for product QC for antibodies. Then I started some directed product development, and eventually moved to basically doing my own work (ie. told something like "we need an immunoassay for X. Here are papers to get you started, figure out how to best make an antibody for it, get it sent out, and get it working and on the market. Ask if you have questions or need help.") In my time there I developed 3 assays in total that are on the market now. One for lipid peroxidation, one for GSH/GSSG (this one was fun as I got to play with organic chemistry to design a novel thiol scavenger) and one for Glutathion-S-Transferase alpha (specifically the alpha isoform). When I left a few other products were in devlelopment too. Someone else has taken them over. So...yeah, as you can see, the grades and such, not my strongpoint. The research experience blew them away though. My CV is two pages, I can't make it shorter, and that was just coming out of undergrad.

There is an interview. They have three people plus the graduate admissions officer from your department...(and uh, mine is actually Anatomy & Cell Biology, I'll explain...) and the three people are from other departments not the one you applied for. The School of Med only accepts a certain number per year total, about 2-3 per program.

Oh shoot...I just was going to look up your profs you mentioned as I don't recognize their names...I know why. You applied to the main campus not the med school campus. I'm sorry! I"m not sure of how they work their programs. I know the med school is different. :( Disregard what I said about the IBS courses too, those are a med school thing I think only.

Well I'm not deleting this whole post, it took too long to type out!

Anyway, ACB is my department: http://www.med.wayne.edu/anatomy/
I am interested in Dr. Peduzzi-Nelson's lab...
Peduzzi-Nelson Lab Research wrote:Neuroscience: translation research aimed at the development and evaluation of treatments for chronic severe spinal cord injury and head injury using adult stem cells, OEC, matrix, and targeted gene therapy.
And Dr. Goebel's lab (starting that rotation on Monday, I am first year, this is my first rotation)
Dr. Goebel's Lab wrote:Neuroscience and molecular neurobiology: neurochemical and receptor interactions in the mammalian retina.

See...in the SoM at WSU the neuro people I was interested in working with are in the ACB department. Although we have a Behavioral & Cognitive Neuroscience on the SoM campus too, which is why I assumed SoM (and it falls under the psych department on SoM as well from my understanding.)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Eleni

Postby Eleni » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:52 am UTC

I'm looking to do biological oceanography (maybe physical with a bunch of biological thrown in). The places I'm applying are
MIT-WHOI joint program
University of Hawai'i at Manoa SOEST
University of Maryland MEES program

I've been horribly irresponsible as a grad applicant and have not contacted nearly as many people as I should have and have not explored all my options. Basically, I've kind of screwed myself over with my laziness. Hopefully something will work out.
http://rpgcalledlife.blogspot.com/
(aka "Maybe if my blog is witty enough someone will finally love me")

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

Eleni wrote:I'm looking to do biological oceanography (maybe physical with a bunch of biological thrown in). The places I'm applying are
MIT-WHOI joint program

I met the head of the biology dept from Hawai'i at a conference recently (dunno if your program is in that dept or not). He was wearing crocs and looked like a bearded tommy lee jones. He was pretty cool in a kooky/spazzy kind of way. Seemed like a good dude.

Eleni

Postby Eleni » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

RockoTDF wrote:
Eleni wrote:I'm looking to do biological oceanography (maybe physical with a bunch of biological thrown in). The places I'm applying are
MIT-WHOI joint program
I met the head of the biology dept from Hawai'i at a conference recently (dunno if your program is in that dept or not). He was wearing crocs and looked like a bearded tommy lee jones. He was pretty cool in a kooky/spazzy kind of way. Seemed like a good dude.
Yeah, that wouldn't be my department (I'd be in Department of Oceanography), but it's nice to know the people over there are cool. I love the laid back island atmosphere.

mollusk

Postby mollusk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

I'm also headed to grad school in neuroscience this fall! I've applied to:

UT Austin - Interview
UT Southwestern Medical Center - ACCEPTED!
Baylor College of Medicine - Interview
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania
Caltech - Interview

I've been working here at UTSW for almost two years as a technician and I'm ready to move on.
And if you do get an interview at NYU and run into an applicant named Mehreen Kouser, tell her Chris from UTSW says hi. It'll be fun.
John Hodgman wrote:...while the truth may be stranger than fiction, it is never as strange as lies . . . or as true.

mstrzerg

Postby mstrzerg » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

I want to start grad school this fall. Working on work funding righ tnow and trying to figure out how to actually manage the whole full-time work part-time student thing. Looks like University of Maryland - College Park is my best option, the big problem there is that it is a full two hours north of here and all their Aerospace Engineering courses are in the middle of the day, which is going to create one hellish work schedule. Here's hoping I can figure something out though! :D

Katieesq

Postby Katieesq » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Waiting to hear back from:

NYU
Brown
Rutgers (New Brunswick)
UNC Chapel Hill
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
University of Washington
University of Oregon
Claremont Graduate School
Rice University
UC Berkeley

*phew*
Cupcakes of HOPE!

swansoer

Postby swansoer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

Yes I am applying for Fall 2009. All schools are for Digital Signal Processing/Image Processing in EE.

Accepted:
University of Wisconsin - Madison.

Applied/Still Waiting:
University of California - Santa Barbara.
UCLA.
Stanford.
USC.
University of Washington.
He takes his queen and showers her with diamonds! Clubs. Club sauce! He showers her with club sauce.

NO1PCKTHS

Postby NO1PCKTHS » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:58 am UTC

Expecting results in early March:

Aerospace Engineering (Astrodynamics and optimization)

UT-Austin
Penn State
[math]\pi^2e\varphi - \sqrt{2} = 41.995[/math] so close...

ZZCat13

Postby ZZCat13 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Developmental neurobiology here...

University of Oregon (I've got an interview with them in February! yay!)
University of Colorado Denver
University of Colorado Boulder
UC Berkeley (rejected....not very surprising, though)

Good luck to everyone!
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

gwillums

Postby gwillums » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:20 am UTC

Physics, woot!

ACCEPTED -
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin-Madison

PENDING -
University of Pennsylvania
University of Chicago
Northwestern University
Princeton
Cornell (Applied Physics)
Columbia
UIUC

UWashington is pulling all of the stops trying to recruit me... They aren't my top choice (assuming I get in everywhere), but I'm still planning on visiting and all that. Does anyone have any advice on what to do/what to look for during visits?

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:51 am UTC

gwillums wrote:UWashington is pulling all of the stops trying to recruit me... They aren't my top choice (assuming I get in everywhere), but I'm still planning on visiting and all that. Does anyone have any advice on what to do/what to look for during visits?
Before visiting I would look at the school site and check out which professor's research seems most interesting to you. See if you can meet with them at some point during your visit! this not only gives you a sneak peak of their lab, you can also kinda get a gut feeling for if you think you would like the lab or not. It also looks good on you - that you are excited for research and are willing to go investigate for yourself. Talk to other students in the department to see what they like/don't like (and don't do that while there is a professor hovering!) because then you'll tend to get the real story of what is good and bad. I don't have any more ideas than that.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:02 am UTC

I got an interview in a few weeks at the University of Arizona!!!!

Eleni

Postby Eleni » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

I just heard from University of Hawaii that I am one of the top applicants, and as such they are paying to fly me out there to see the school, meet professors and the other top applicants, and see what they have to offer. I take that to mean that I am basically accepted.

Free trip to Hawai'i, baby! 8)
(Still waiting to hear from the other two schools I applied to.)

mollusk

Postby mollusk » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 am UTC

Congrats all!

I'm curious if anyone else has had a phone interview in applying for grad school. I'm not great on the phone (I like to look at people when I speak to them) and doing an interview was quite awkward. Just curious how common this practice is among graduate programs.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:50 am UTC

Georgetown University - M.P.P.
George Washington University - M.P.P.

I applied and got accepted to both. Unless something major happens, I'll likely accept the offer from Georgetown. All I'm trying to see now is what sort of financial assistance they can offer me. KF
~Kizyr

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

University of Arizona - ACCEPTED!

Rejected:
Minnesota
Colorado
SUNY Buffalo

Still waiting to hear:
NYU
Wayne State
Carnegie Mellon
Pitt
Indiana

NO1PCKTHS

Postby NO1PCKTHS » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:29 am UTC

Accepted at UT-Austin, plus receiving funding (i.e. all expenses paid) for a site visit to meet profs, current students, visit campus, etc. Waiting to hear on financial offer.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:00 am UTC

Congratulations on the acceptance. If I knew the main campus neuro people I'd put in a good word for you Rocko!
no1 - they didn't tell you your package with your acceptance offer? Weird, that's the first time I've heard of that. Or maybe Purdue, Wayne, and UNC Chapel Hill are just different? :?

NO1PCKTHS

Postby NO1PCKTHS » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:12 am UTC

Well, they didn't put my apartment number on my acceptance letter so it got returned and I haven't received the package yet. The online system told me I was admitted, and I got an email from the university explaining the error. I'm not actually sure whether the funding and admittance processes are separate or not. I know my roommate got his acceptance to Purdue grad without hearing about his funding.

mollusk

Postby mollusk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

ACCEPTED!

UTSouthwestern
Baylor College of Medicine

REJECTED!

UC Berkeley
Johns Hopkins
UPenn (Not formally, but I'm assuming...)

still waiting to hear from Caltech, which would be awesome.

NO1PCKTHS wrote:Accepted at UT-Austin, plus receiving funding (i.e. all expenses paid) for a site visit to meet profs, current students, visit campus, etc. Waiting to hear on financial offer.

Congrats! I did my undergrad there and really liked it.
John Hodgman wrote:...while the truth may be stranger than fiction, it is never as strange as lies . . . or as true.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

I get a notification from one of my programs today at 5 est! Holy shit!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:23 am UTC

I won't finish BS till 2010-and-a-half.
And I'm -2.

mintageofman

Postby mintageofman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Accepted into the MSIT program at Carnegie Mellon's Information Networking Institute.

Still awaiting responses from CS programs at NYU, Penn, NYU Polytechnic, and Drexel.

chillin

Postby chillin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Materials Science & Engineering @ UCLA! (Coming from a background in chemistry and mat sci.)

Now if only I could decide on a lab to join...
Last edited by chillin on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

swansoer

Postby swansoer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

Making it official today, I will be going to University of Washington to work on a PhD in Electrical Engineering focusing on signal processing.
He takes his queen and showers her with diamonds! Clubs. Club sauce! He showers her with club sauce.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

AUGHHH it's getting down to the wire for deciding and I'm still on the fence. It's between Carnegie Mellon or University of Colorado at Boulder for chemical engineering... Boulder has a few more sustainable energy projects but I really liked this one guy at CMU. Arghhhh.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Wed May 06, 2009 4:15 am UTC

Aaaannyyyway I haven't been on for a while, but I accepted Arizona. Didn't get in anywhere else, but still satisfied with UA.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Wed May 06, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

Oh right. Yeah. I'm going to CMU. Good stuff.

Congrats on UA. I hear it's warm down there.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

LISStryfe

Postby LISStryfe » Sat May 23, 2009 10:50 am UTC

Not me.. I just got out!

Got my MLS From Pratt, and get to ... move back in with the 'rents, since I have run out of cash and my job was downsized last week.

Goddamn it.

Return to “School”