Has College Been Glorified?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gmm

Has College Been Glorified?

Postby gmm » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

Okay, quick summary of my situation: High school senior, straight As, less and less motivation for every day that goes by.

I see college (or university in my case) as the savior. I dislike school quite a lot at the moment, and I never feel like doing anything. I've always done all the assignments, tests and homeworks and never missed a deadline, until last week. No big deal, my teacher just said I'd hand it in next Friday instead. I used to finish stuff a couple of days before the assignment or whatever it was was due, and sometimes I even enjoyed doing so. Now, I do them the same week as they're due (which isn't that horrible really, I still do them), and I got As on all papers last term.

The problem is, I'm aiming towards university, where I'm going to study political science. I need top grades, which I have, but what worries me is that I've glorified the whole college business and put too much trust in it increasing my motivation, and to a certain extent I believe it will. I am interested in politics, international relations and similar subjects, but I'm thinking that my motivation will keep on decreasing and I won't be able to handle it. Especially since college requires way more discipline, since you study quite often on your own without any instructions.

So, I was ju wondering if anyone has experienced the same and been in the same situation? How did you cope with, eh, life? I really want to go to uni as for me it's the best, cheapest and most rewarding way of being able to study in the U.S. at some point, which is why I so desperately want to be able to handle everything.

Any thoughts on the matter will be appreciated.

EDIT: The title might be very slightly misleading as I forgot that part. Basically, it's about the fact that many people see college as something that it might not be, i.e. a glorified version with parties all the time, wild spring breaks with alcohol and sex all the time, and so forth.
Last edited by gmm on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

Brim

Re: Has College Been Glorified?

Postby Brim » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

gmm wrote:Okay, quick summary of my situation: High school senior, straight As, less and less motivation for every day that goes by.

I see college (or university in my case) as the savior. I dislike school quite a lot at the moment, and I never feel like doing anything. I've always done all the assignments, tests and homeworks and never missed a deadline, until last week. No big deal, my teacher just said I'd hand it in next Friday instead. I used to finish stuff a couple of days before the assignment or whatever it was was due, and sometimes I even enjoyed doing so. Now, I do them the same week as they're due (which isn't that horrible really, I still do them), and I got As on all papers last term.

The problem is, I'm aiming towards university, where I'm going to study political science. I need top grades, which I have, but what worries me is that I've glorified the whole college business and put too much trust in it increasing my motivation, and to a certain extent I believe it will. I am interested in politics, international relations and similar subjects, but I'm thinking that my motivation will keep on decreasing and I won't be able to handle it. Especially since college requires way more discipline, since you study quite often on your own without any instructions.

So, I was ju wondering if anyone has experienced the same and been in the same situation? How did you cope with, eh, life? I really want to go to uni as for me it's the best, cheapest and most rewarding way of being able to study in the U.S. at some point, which is why I so desperately want to be able to handle everything.

Any thoughts on the matter will be appreciated.

I'm also a senior, and I'm taking 2 college courses, and I got to tell you, I was in the same situation as you. I was always told through high school that college is this rough place where you're pretty much thrown out on your own, and through 2 semesters this isn't true. I've only taken a 152 History class, 261 and 351 math classes and a 350 stat class, but all 4 professors have been quite awesome. They all offer outside help if it's needed, they all suggest finding study groups and befriending classmates. None of them are strict instructors who just zip through class at their own place and expect you to keep up, they'll periodically stop and ask who has questions and what not, they also make occasional mistakes that we can all laugh off. Maybe it's because they're fairly low-level courses, this is my experience. Take it with a couple mounds of salt, but as a pessimist I tell you not to worry. :) You seem like a smart kid, you'll adjust and thrive. Good luck!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Same shit, different place, but you can skip class.

Tofer

Postby Tofer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:09 am UTC

In my experience, it really isn't vastly different from High School. The only major difference I've found is that almost everyone around you is just as smart as you (I'm speaking from a faculty of engineering perspective), if not smarter. You still have to do a whole bunch of uninteresting assignments and labs; likely even more so than in High School. In my faculty attendance is taken every day, since apparently grown men need to be babysat, so no difference from High School there...

I wasn't very motivated in High School and still received solid marks. That hasn't changed in university. I'm still not motivated by any of my classes. I just slog away at them and try not to get too down about it.

I suppose if you're passionate about what you're doing then University could be a completely fantastic, life changing experience, but if you're not it's nothing more than High School Part II. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:35 am UTC

I was in almost exactly the same boat going into my second semester of senior year in high school. The good news: college turned out to be everything I had hoped it would be. Intellectually reinvigorating, liberating after a boring ass-highschool, full of awesome people, and so on. As for college requiring more discipline... depends on who you talk to. The stories of parties all the time and so on are largely true as well. You learn to make of college what you want (which, as far as I'm concerned, is pretty awesome).

(To temper my enthusiasm a bit: my story is only my own. My SO's story, which also starts much like yours, isn't so full of ponies and rainbows. So really, there's no way to know what things will be like for you. But, if it helps, it's at least possible that college will change everything.)

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:04 am UTC

College is what you make of it.

If you're lazy, it won't be very beneficial. If you're motivated, then, well, it might turn out great for you.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:01 am UTC

Like most things in life, if you make the best of it, then it is fun. If not, then you'll hate it.

I was held back in middle school and high school a lot. Funny thing it is, how you can be a senior and still back in geometry but you can't be a sophmore and already ready for college courses. I never understood that. College was finally a place when I could take the courses *I* wanted to take, the higher levels that I was ready for, and blow through it in three years and not waste my time.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:09 am UTC

The main things I've noticed about college are that doing your own schedule and the professors on the whole both rock. Making your own schedule means you get to take classes you're interested in. Sure, there will be stupid required classes that you won't like, but if you've suffered through high school, you'll be fine. You can also do things at your own pace. If you want to get done quickly or learn about a lot of things at once, you can. If you want to take your time and focus on social stuff or a decent job, go for it. Also, sleeping in is quite nice.

As for the professors, I've found it fascinating to be in classes with people that actually research and deal with what they teach professionally. High school teachers rarely do more than plan their upcoming lessons from what I've seen. Math teachers are often unable to do more than what their subject requires, including giving explanations for why things are the way they are. In college math classes, professors can explain not only where something comes from and why it works, but how it's used in real life or applied to other areas of mathematics.

These are, of course, generalizations from what I have seen.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:23 am UTC

If your unmotivated, the answer is yes. If you want to do something that requires a degree, which is many, many things, the answer is no.

There are other ways to get a degree then going to college, and there are other things to do then things that require a degree. But don't think you can do a lot of things you may be thinking about without a degree.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

gmm

Postby gmm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:41 pm UTC

Thank you all for the replies.

The most likely scenario is –I think– that the change of environments (fresh start, if you like) might help a lot. New people, new professors, new city, new life, new school, new subjects, new level of the studies (and all that comes with it). At this point, school ends at 3:25 PM every day and the bus leaves at 3:35 and I go home, perhaps study a little and then do nothing in particular. When in college, I think that's different as I would live by myself, hopefully in a dormroom and maybe even study with my friends, which we never do in high school. Perhaps even go to the library and sit there with everyone else to study.

In many ways, I think college comes with a lot of distractions, at least initially. Eventually, you learn how to deal with those and at that point I think there are many tools provided by colleges and universities that can help you focus better than ever. (Could be completely wrong, as I've yet to experience this; these are speculations)
"Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:If your you're unmotivated, the answer is yes.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

Bahahaha, I see what you did there.

gmm wrote:In many ways, I think college comes with a lot of distractions

To be fair, I think a big part of the 'college experience' (which I'm not suggesting is a requirement by any means), is the wheeling and dealings of living on your own, in shitty environs with a bunch of other people who suddenly find themselves in the same situation. And yes, making many, many mistakes.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

punkymonkey

Postby punkymonkey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

I am currently on my 4th semester... with only 7 credit hours complete. (single mom, working full time, school part time, blah)

... I am completely burned out. But I think it's more so the combination of everything as opposed to college alone.

Honestly, I think it depends on your teachers. I have had some teachers that made the semester awesome. And others.. that I butted heads with and ended up dropping.

College doesn't motivate me at all. In fact, sometimes I'll find myself looking around my class thinking to myself "Dear God...I'm going to have to work with these people one day..." about the ones who have the same major as me. And quite frankly, that thought makes me want to find the nearest window and jump.

The only real motivation I really have is my son and the desire to give him a better life.

Soooo.. have a kid? =D
<wst> punkymonkey is actually punky. phew

BMP

Postby BMP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

the real question is it it that hard to get into college? I get A's in my honors/regents classes and B/B+'s in my AP classes and I have no doubt that I will get a decent score on the ACT and SAT (1900+ on the SAT). but i have no extra curriculars.

blackrose

Postby blackrose » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Ha HA HA HA!!!! I love High school students that have had the fear of God put into them. College is like anything you've ever done academically. They tell you "it's going to be soooo hard" when your in HS. Just like how you middle school teachers told you algebra was "hard". Just like how you were told AP classes were "hard". It is not hard. Getting into a decent college in not impossible. It is quite easy unless you're an Ivy league pansy with their [edited for content]

If you want to go to or want to go to an Ivy league or big name school for undergrad, you are just a pansy.Yes. I'm calling you all out. PANSIES. There is nothing that these schools can provide that a small liberal arts college or state university cannot other than bragging rights.

I'm in my forth semester at a small liberal arts college. I'm studying both Math and Chemistry, and I might pick up some Pre-Med classes. High school was a breeze for me and I got about a 3.7 because I just didn't care. The adjustment process was easy for me. I lived in a dorm last year, and am now in a school owned eco-house. I just sat down with random people at meals and talked. I'm a shy person, but I made lots of friends this way. Getting involved in clubs early is also a good idea. A great idea is not to go out to parties in your freshman year and to distance yourself from people that do. If you're into that kind of stuff, keep it to a minimum. (A Friday or Saturday here or there and never consecutively...) Make nondramatic friends, dramatic people will only wast your time and energy. Remember that you at school for... school.

My main rule is work before play, and I have done my share of playing. College is challenging, but by no means "impossible" or "hard". Classes can be challenges, but they aren't ever impossible unless you make them that way.

Protip: I make it a point to know all of my Professors personally. Though, it isn't hard because my classes 9.75 people this semester (5, 6, 8, and 20).

In conclusion: Go to class. Do your homework. Get involved. Get you stuff done. Don't do "drama". You will be golden.
I don't watch 24 hour news channels because they are retarded.

raike

Postby raike » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:06 am UTC

In the past, College was about a transition - from dependence on one's parents to independence. Of course, now-a-days, parents seek to involve themselves heavily in the experience...
From what I know, college is valuable - you essentially build the next thirty-five years of your live there! Perhaps it is not so tough, perhaps one may be bored; but, one has the opportunity to meet and gain various contacts that may help you in the future.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

blackrose

Postby blackrose » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:30 am UTC

raike wrote:In the past, College was about a transition - from dependence on one's parents to independence. Of course, now-a-days, parents seek to involve themselves heavily in the experience...
From what I know, college is valuable - you essentially build the next thirty-five years of your live there! Perhaps it is not so tough, perhaps one may be bored; but, one has the opportunity to meet and gain various contacts that may help you in the future.

Gaining contacts is useful, but I don't think that it is a major reason for going to college. You should make your own path rather than pulling at other's coattails. Mainly learning to cope with new things and experiences is key. Learning how to deal with things in which you are unfamiliar with is invaluable.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:56 am UTC

That piece of paper will open a lot of doors.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

blackrose wrote:If you want to go to or want to go to an Ivy league or big name school for undergrad, you are just a pansy.Yes. I'm calling you all out. PANSIES. There is nothing that these schools can provide that a small liberal arts college or state university cannot other than bragging rights.

Hm. Somebody's not bitter.

I suggest the following: that elite universities generally

a) have a lot of money to spend on you in interesting ways
b) have faculty who are the top minds in their field
c) have larger and better job/school placement programs and alumni networks
d) attract a more intelligent student body (which is absolutely the most important factor in the quality of your day-to-day life)
e) are reputed to be more rigorous (which looks good on your resume)
f) have better financial aid programs

and so on. Really, these places have their reputation for a reason.

Snowdream

Postby Snowdream » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

College is what you make of it, this has been said and is true. If you make college out to be hell by taking 9 500 level courses in one semester; it will be hell. But if you moderate yourself, and enjoy the expierence, while being diligent - it will be amazing.

College for me was about networking. Extending my skills, learning about the world, and getting to be friends, and forging business relationships. These will serve you well when you leave the world of college, and enter - the real world! Here, those networks you forged will often benefit you moreso than your degree (I do not lie).

Adding onto that, be really careful about college too. I've seen many people who have completed college, they had straight A's in HS, and have achieved masters; only to end up working at Denny's making 120$ a night in tips for an 8 hour shift. They realized that a job they could have gotten out of High School would have made more money than the job they spent 8 years going after, and building 60-100,000$ in debt. Do they enjoy it? Some do... some don't... but it's a job that pay's the rent.

<3 Jobs that pay the rent....

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

120 bucks for 8 hrs of work is not my definition of good wages, and certainly isn't what I plan on making with a degree.

gmm

Postby gmm » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

Might be slightly ignorant but I have no clue as to what I want to do for a living when I'm done. I'm thinking that I'll start off with a bachelor's degree in political science, and then after those three years earn a master's degree. Haven't researched the master degrees thoroughly, but I know one option is a master in human rights, which could be interesting and fun. And I haven't thought about it much, but I do believe that people with knowledge of politics and international relations are wanted everywhere; in companies, in the UN, in the EU, in embassies/consulates, etc.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Masily box wrote:
blackrose wrote:If you want to go to or want to go to an Ivy league or big name school for undergrad, you are just a pansy.Yes. I'm calling you all out. PANSIES. There is nothing that these schools can provide that a small liberal arts college or state university cannot other than bragging rights.

Hm. Somebody's not bitter.

I suggest the following: that elite universities generally

a) have a lot of money to spend on you in interesting ways
b) have faculty who are the top minds in their field
c) have larger and better job/school placement programs and alumni networks
d) attract a more intelligent student body (which is absolutely the most important factor in the quality of your day-to-day life)
e) are reputed to be more rigorous (which looks good on your resume)

and so on. Really, these places have their reputation for a reason.

<bitter>
I'm calling everyone out that went to college as PANSIES because you could have got that education for a dollar fifty in late fees at the local library.
</bitter>

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 am UTC

Jacque wrote:<bitter>
I'm calling everyone out that went to college as PANSIES because you could have got that education for a dollar fifty in late fees at the local library.
</bitter>

At least make up your own phrase when trying to show us how smart you are..

Holmie

Postby Holmie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:31 am UTC

I cannot fully guarantee that you will have the same experience as me, as I go to the university in Denmark (bachelor in business and management).

I've only just gotten through 1. semester, though I am very glad I took this education.
I do have a willingness to learn, and it's great to actually work with stuff that interest you
(and which you'll be using later).

As some of the others have said, the classes are a huge upgrade from the previous level of
education, which in my case is quiet nice (since I got unlucky and ended on a shitty school).
The teachers are also incredible, these people are actually interesting people, who work with
some of the materials, and actually has an interrest in learning. They're without doubt a HUGE
upgrade; also classes has been less focused on simply "normalizing the youth", and instead focus
on archieving as high as possible academic level, and inspiring to think originally and
out-of-the-box.

I would say I have a huge advantage though, due to my contry's educationsystem, since all
education is free, and I'm being payed enough to live for by the government.

P.S. Since I do not fully understand the financial decision about joining college, I would just
jump out and do it, you won't regret in; but if you don't like the education, I will assume there's
some program in which you can switch to a different one.

P.P.S. After graduating with a master, the average monthly pay (for first job) is about 5.000$,
so that does help as a motivation, for some.
I personally couldn't care less, I'll get payed the way I get payed, it is irrelevant for me now.
I am only interested in learning as much as possible.

Miro

Postby Miro » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

Maybe its just the college i'm attending, but all of my pre-concieved notions of college have been dashed. I'm attending a small state college for financial reasons, and last year was laughable. True I only took Gen. Eds, but I expected more. My "College" Algrebra class covered almost the same material from my Sophmore year in Highschool, I had payed $148 per hour for them to basically review material I had costed through Four years ago.

So far college isnt much different from Highschool. The best advice I can give is go to class every day, most Profs will go over all of the material needed, and if you pay attention there is almost no way you can fail a class.

BMP wrote:the real question is it it that hard to get into college? I get A's in my honors/regents classes and B/B+'s in my AP classes and I have no doubt that I will get a decent score on the ACT and SAT (1900+ on the SAT). but i have no extra curriculars.

No, its fairly easy to get in. I ended my hichschool career with a 3.2GPA(almost never did homework), 28 ACT with no SAT and I was accepted to every school I applied to.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

gmm wrote:I see college (or university in my case) as the savior. I dislike school quite a lot at the moment, and I never feel like doing anything. I've always done all the assignments, tests and homeworks and never missed a deadline, until last week. No big deal, my teacher just said I'd hand it in next Friday instead. I used to finish stuff a couple of days before the assignment or whatever it was was due, and sometimes I even enjoyed doing so. Now, I do them the same week as they're due (which isn't that horrible really, I still do them), and I got As on all papers last term.

To be honest, I don't think that simply moving from high school to college will motivate you. One of the most important things that you have to learn is how to motivate yourself regardless of your situation. When you get out of an academic setting and into a work environment, you will find that there will be times that you will have to do things that you have no real interest in doing, but will still have to be motivated to do them because its part of your job. Good circumstances certainly help, but you have to be damn lucky to get into a situation where you can always be motivated to do what you need to do by external forces.

I think your expectations for college are probably fairly unrealistic regarding the difficulty and discipline you will need, by and large. I personally did not notice a substantial change in my work/study habits going from high school to university, particularly in the early years. If you're an A student in high school, then you probably can be an A student in college without too much trouble.

BMP wrote:the real question is it it that hard to get into college? I get A's in my honors/regents classes and B/B+'s in my AP classes and I have no doubt that I will get a decent score on the ACT and SAT (1900+ on the SAT). but i have no extra curriculars.

Short answer, no. With a B average, you can probably get into most colleges. For top tier, you will need a bit higher, but not substantially so. The real question is how you intend to pay for college. Coming out of college with $60k+ in student loans can set you back 5-10 years as far as getting a home/family/whatever set up, but there are scholarships available for exceptional students. Academic scholarships are very competitive, particularly in high-end schools--that's where you'll need to be able to get 99% in AP physics while playing the cello during your volunteer time at the local hospital to be considered--usually because the majority of the best scholarships are earmarked for athletes (at least in the US). At a less prestigous school, you may have a better chance of getting a good entrance scholarship that will cover a lot of your expenses. Of course, if your funding is coming from, eg. your wealthy parents, then this doesn't really matter so much.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

Yes and No, you will find that you hate your taught classes/lectures and set work with a vengence... You will mistake this for losing interest in your subject, then you'll get talking to someone, enthuse a little and realise that it's just having to work that you dislike.

But, you'll meet cool people who do awesome things, have awesome parties, and have a lot of free time (assuming that you do the work as and when its set) in which you can explore all the stuff that your parents/age stopped you from previously. Also people will give you a job paid in *actual* money if you get through it.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

Ah college, where an infinite number of horny people think up an infinite number of ways to get into trouble.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

I have 10 years of college under my belt and here is what I would say:

1) The atmosphere is very different, in terms of 'clicks' and popularity. Nobody gives a shit what you do so it basically frees you up to be whoever you want to be without 'social' ramifications. If you want to dress in all black, carry a monkey, and play D&D on a patch of grass... nobody gives a shit.

2) Sex, drugs, alcohol, are all readily available. Its going to up to each person to determine how much you get involved with it. When I was in HS, 18 years ago, all my teachers told me College would be the best time of my life, and I can say they were correct. Girls, parties, fun fun fun, its all there. Having a 20 man Street fighter or Madden tourny was basically doable every week if not every night.
I would warn that if you get too involved, it can derail your academics. My sophmore year, about 1/2 of my crew of friends had already failed out. Drinking 5-6 nights per week WILL affect your grades. My GPA NEVER recovered from my years of anti-sobriety.

3) To the question of how challenging is college. First it depends on your school. The fact is some schools are more rigorious than others. For the vast majority of you, assuming your intelligent because you post on XKCD, those first years will be very easy.
I successfully took 2 classes that I only attended on test days. College Algrebra being one of them. The real challenges come as you get your gen ed stuff out of the way and move into upper division. There is a big difference between a 2 page paper on McCarthyism from your Freshman year, to your 50 page Senior thesis class. (capstone, seminar, etc)

It is also going to depend on your major. Business and Education = EASY. Engineering, some Histories, Chem/Bio = HARDER.
If you want to treat college like a blow off where all you do is chase girls and have fun, be an education major.

4) There is TONS of academic support available if you want it and its all free. Tutoring, study mentors, study groups, etc is all readily available. If you choose a harder major, study groups are helpful and sometimes essential (Law school).

5) Some classes will suck, some will be boring, and some will awsome. That is going to depend a lot on your professors and your interests. My class on Medivel Europe was surprisingly bland and boring, thanks to a boring professor, while my Geology class was FASCINATING and informative. (I am NOT a science major of any kind)

6) Most important factor in determining how enjoyable college is? DO NOT LIVE WITH YOUR PARENTS.

7) Second most important factor? DO NOT BE SHY. I am basically a pretty shy person, but I just forced myself to be more sociable in college and it paid off in SPADES. I went from High School dungeon master who didn't go to prom to, start my own fraternity-Its halloween and I have a full size grey hound bus with tons of girls, 4 Kegs, and roadtrip to Austin. But even if your aren't into partying, college can still be a shitton of fun if you have a group of good friends and new buddies to share it with. Don't spend these precious years alone in your room reading.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

blackrose

Postby blackrose » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:26 am UTC

Masily box wrote:Hm. Somebody's not bitter.

I'm not bitter, but I was a pansy in high school until I figured out that I was unhappy.

It was shy me with my books, class, studying and practice tests for me until I got fed up. I loosened up and made (gasp) real friends, took up sports, theatre, went from a follower to a leader, and started giving a crap about people other than myself. I'm glad the trend has continued.

Now I exalt the almighty God known as the small liberal arts college for it's infinite perfectness and ability to craft me into an unstoppable force of knowledge and person.

nodes

Postby nodes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

I was so done and over high school. I loved the experience itself (well, except senior year, at that point i couldn't take any more) but I was so unmotivated in terms of actual work. I did everything pretty much at the last minute and got good grades, but that's all I cared about. And I didn't even really care that much about grades, other than the fact that I didn't want BAD grades. I was so bitter and frustrated towards school by the end that I actually ended up taking a year off. My circumstances are a little bit different in that I want a career that I won't be going to school for (music, not a life of crime), but it made all the difference in the world for me. By the time I went back to school, I was so ready to devour any knowledge that came my way.

And oh my GOD is college ever different from high school. I know for me taking the year off infinitely raised my motivation, but I've also found I work much harder when I'm not constantly being told what to do. High school micromanages your education; college does not. Plus, it's so much fun to learn from people who are actually passionate about what they teach.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

Note: when you have a 100,000$ a term tution, offering 90,000$ in financial aid just lowers the cost to 10,000$.

Another school that charges 8,000$ and has a 1,000$ a term aid ... is offering better aid. :)

Expensive top-tier universities like to tailor the price they charge to the exact means of the family of the applicant. They are even talking about making a deal to stop offering merit-based scholarships... (so they can avoid bidding against each other, and once again charge your family every drop they can afford)

This is perfectly understandable and means that the university charges rich people a large sum, and poor people ... a low enough sum that they can afford to attend with good grades.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:51 am UTC

Yakk wrote:They are even talking about making a deal to stop offering merit-based scholarships... (so they can avoid bidding against each other, and once again charge your family every drop they can afford)

Um, actually, Harvard and Yale already don't offer merit-based scholarships, and haven't for years. They also both are free for students from families below a certain (fairly generous) income level.

And if $3000 is making the difference between MIT and Dustbowl State, it's probably worth it.

I agree with you that university is a racket. But some are still better than others.

Return to “School”