Maximum hour guidelines

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

qinwamascot

Maximum hour guidelines

Postby qinwamascot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:29 am UTC

Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm currently in 21 hours of upper division classes and finding it unbelievably easy to keep up. But my college has a limit at 24 hours, which is just 1 more class. I'm sure I could handle that with no trouble at all, and I'd like to take 27 or 30 hours. Just to see what it'd be like. But I'm basically at the limit, and the classes won't get harder either since I'm starting out in 4000-level math classes and 3000-level physics classes right now.

So what I'm looking for is a way to get around this restriction. Possibly by taking more classes, or possibly by doing something else sufficiently interesting with my time. I'm talking to my academic adviser, but he can't help me very much, and everyone who I've spoken with so far says an override of that nature would have to come directly from the president (it's unlikely I'll be able to get one from him, though not impossible). So what else is there to do with 20ish hours of free time during the week? I considered trying to work with one of the professors as well, but I don't have any experience as to what this would be like. I also considered joining more clubs and stuff, but there just aren't very many on campus that I find interesting. And I considered picking up a new hobby, but couldn't think of anything.

So basically, my problem is that I've reached the limit of what they'll allow, but not to a level where I'm sufficiently entertained, and need some way to burn off excess time that i can feel is productive.
Quiznos>Subway

codyhotel

Re: Maximum hour guidelines

Postby codyhotel » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

You have a limit at 24? Wow, never heard that one before. As far as I know my school has no limit, in fact you aren't considered as taking a "full" courseload until you're in 30 hours of class. In my 5th year of Pharmacy I'm going to have, I believe, 42 hours of class, or something like that.

Register at a second school and use your spare time to take Distance-Ed courses online, then transfer all the credits at the end of the year.
Philwelch wrote:Would a prostitution enthusiast be a buy-sexual?

...sorry.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

Surely you're not learning everything related to a given topic in a course. Build on stuff that interests you, and teach yourself.

Also, do look into doing actual research. It can be interesting and give you a sense of what the field is actually like. (You say "and I don't have any experience as to what this is like." So are you afraid that it'll be boring, or are you afraid to try new things? The solution to either one is to just try it out.)

mypsychoticself

Postby mypsychoticself » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Most schools will let you waive the load limit so long as you're getting good grades, keeping up with work, etc. Schedule an appointment with your adviser. You may need to sign some papers or get teacher recommendations, but as long as your adv isn't completely incompetent, it shouldn't be too difficult.

And, codyhotel- Is the 30 hour course load for the semester or the academic year? I'm an undergrad, and our recommended course load is 15 hrs per semester, or 30 hrs per academic year. We need twelve hours per semester (24 per year) to be considered full time students, with a limit of 17 (34) hrs.
I knew that we had suffered each as other,
And could have grasped your hand and cried, "My brother!"

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

At my undergrad uni, the limit was 20 hours. I took up to 24 though, I got a wavier signed by my department head and submitted it to the college of arts and sciences office for final approval.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

Perhaps you should track down this guy and ask for a few pointers.

qinwamascot

Postby qinwamascot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

There's a technical limit at 20, but for people who do well they allow you to take more. But there's a strict limit at 24 apparently. I have an appointment to discuss this and see what can be done about it. My guess is that they won't let me pass 24, even though 30 seems entirely doable to me right now. The difficulty is that our academic advisers, as good as they may be, can only grant exceptions to minor rules like the 20 hour soft limit.

As for research, I'm open to it. But in physics, it's hard to find professors who want to find work for you until you've at least taken some specialized courses. So it's likely that I won't get any next semester. Math is possible, but it's a hit-or-miss as to whether the professors have anything to give me. I'm currently looking into what might be available next semester, but so far nothing is highly promising.

As for distance learning, I've heard some terrible stories about it. What classes would be good to take this way? I thought about clearing out some of my GenEd requirements, but most of these are already done. I'm a physics/math double major with minors in CS and Japanese, so it's hard to say which classes to take online. CS seems like it might be the best, but I really have no idea in this respect.

And for independently studying the material, that's a good idea which I will try, but it probably won't take up a whole 2-3 extra courseloads of work, so something else is necessary in addition.
Quiznos>Subway

Return to “School”