Assassin

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

BennyHill

Assassin

Postby BennyHill » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:00 am UTC

Anyone ever played a game of Assassin at their school?
Pretty fun, you have to find targets that you are given and "assassinate" them. Usually with spoons or rolled up socks. Unfortunately our school banned it after the school shootings in... I forget, wherever they were.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Re: Assassin

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:57 am UTC

I am a current member of the Cambridge University Assassins Guild. We step up the game by playing with 100-200 psycho undergraduates across all the colleges, each with 3 assigned targets. Weaponry ranges from pens-labelled-knife, to rubber band guns, to CPS (constant pressure system) SuperSoakers.
It's awesome!

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Sounds like the gotchya game that my old school's CS department has. Never played it, but heard it was great fun. They use water guns, which might be a good or a bad thing......

BennyHill

Postby BennyHill » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:41 am UTC

Yeah, it's called Gotcha aswell. It has alot of names. Im sitting here trying not to get killed. I have a vague idea who's after me. Just trying to avoid them :?

blackrose

Postby blackrose » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:58 am UTC

We kill by saying the word assassin within 10 feet of the intended targets. Of course the prey is safe as long as they have someone else in their 10ft proximity.
I don't watch 24 hour news channels because they are retarded.

Chad.Boudreau

Postby Chad.Boudreau » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:41 pm UTC

Oh My God
^Oh me yarm^

I'd never heard about this before.

I think you may have just changed my life.

SO COOL
Evilness requires caring.

yay?

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

Played this on a cruise once, it is a ton of fun. The best kill I had was using a straw.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

2Hectic

Postby 2Hectic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

While not related to the game, I drew up an assassination contract for the father of a friend of mine.
Seems a co-worker was bugging him...
Image Image Image Image

BennyHill

Postby BennyHill » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

2Hectic wrote:While not related to the game, I drew up an assassination contract for the father of a friend of mine.

:shock:

Plan to take my second target out today, gonna intercept him through a shortcut he always takes. Got my spoon ready :twisted:

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

Do you mean the target is a person playing, or an unsuspecting person? Because if it's the latter, this sounds pretty douchebaggy.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

Yeah.. being beaten up by some random guy with a spoon would suck..
Omni.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:18 am UTC

2Hectic wrote:While not related to the game, I drew up an assassination contract for the father of a friend of mine.

They use written contracts in that sort of business? I kind of doubt they'd be legally enforceable... :P

---

This sounds like a very cool game. Unfortunately I have never been anywhere where it was played. And yeah, the whole school shooting stuff probably makes the authorities a bit trigger-happy in that regard (especially here in Germany after last week).
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

BennyHill

Postby BennyHill » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Chfan wrote:Do you mean the target is a person playing, or an unsuspecting person? Because if it's the latter, this sounds pretty douchebaggy.

No, you can only kill other people who are playing, who are also assassins. So along with hunting your targets, you are a target for someone else but there is only allowed to be one eyewitness at the time of the kill (can be anyone, players or not) so alot of the "killing" goes unnoticed.

2Hectic

Postby 2Hectic » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:33 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:

They use written contracts in that sort of business? I kind of doubt they'd be legally enforceable... :P

---

This sounds like a very cool game. Unfortunately I have never been anywhere where it was played. And yeah, the whole school shooting stuff probably makes the authorities a bit trigger-happy in that regard (especially here in Germany after last week).

Haha. Legally enforceable or not, a modicum of professionalism must be maintained...
Image Image Image Image

BennyHill

Postby BennyHill » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:04 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
2Hectic wrote:And yeah, the whole school shooting stuff probably makes the authorities a bit trigger-happy in that regard (especially here in Germany after last week).

That's why we mainly use spoons and rolled up socks. The teachers just think we've gone loony.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:47 am UTC

Well, okay. That sounds a lot more fun than what I was imagining.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

2Hectic wrote:Haha. Legally enforceable or not, a modicum of professionalism must be maintained...

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

2Hectic

Postby 2Hectic » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

And come up with kick-ass fight scene music as well.
Image Image Image Image

BennyHill

Postby BennyHill » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
2Hectic wrote:Haha. Legally enforceable or not, a modicum of professionalism must be maintained...

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

'Cause at the end of the day, as long as there are two people left on the planet, someone's gonna want someone dead.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:45 am UTC

2Hectic wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

And come up with kick ass-fight scene music as well.

Fix'd.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

Levi wrote:
2Hectic wrote:

Fix'd.

you are the coolest person ever.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Pit

Postby Pit » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

We're playing assassination in our dorms at the moment(as-sock-sination, since we're doing it with socks). We even have a graveyard and a secret FBI team.

In my old high school, our senior class played sporks, which is a variation where people have to kill each other with sporks (not spoons). There were two teams (Red V Blue), and members of the team had to wear a bandana of that color. You couldn't be killed if you were holding your own spork, so we were going to our midterms and APs with sporks in our hands. It was pretty fun.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:
Levi wrote:
2Hectic wrote:

Fix'd.

you are the coolest person ever.

No one's ever said that to me before! I've gone so long without knowing how cool I am. I've missed out on so much :(

How would this game be played at a high school? A really small one. Say, 80 students. Everyone has lunch together; five minutes between classes.

InfamousAnarchist

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

Explain the rules. How do you know who to kill? Is there some, for lack of a better term, Dungeon Master setting all this up? This sounds pretty hardcore.
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please

Fuzzypickles

Postby Fuzzypickles » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

Yeah, someone's in charge.

Imagine everyone playing is in a giant circle. You get the name/school ID/something of one of the people next to you. The other person next to you gets your name but you know nothing about them. You try to kill your target while avoiding death. When you kill that target you take their target and move on. This goes until only two people are left at which things get awkward.

Quenouille

Postby Quenouille » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

So infos aren't given out randomly? For instance, if it were random, you could have guy A, B, C form their own closed circle of the game while D through Z would never hunt or be hunted by them. I assume the DM just exchange A's infos to B, B's to C, C's to ... and Z's to A?

Fuzzypickles

Postby Fuzzypickles » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

It could be run with multiple smaller circles but it really just produces unnecessary complications. Mind as well just set it up in the beginning.

Liamuk

Postby Liamuk » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:48 am UTC

If you run it as multiple small circles, eventually you will be tasked with killing yourself when there are still people in other circles alive, so there is no 1 winner.

InfamousAnarchist

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:57 am UTC

EASIEST TASK EVER.

But couldn't you be assigned to the other circles?
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:33 pm UTC

we did it at my school with clothes pegs. Each player got given a teach to "peg" the first x people to get their teacher went through to the next round. The winner got some chocolate and the sign-up money went to charity.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

I'd never heard of this game before the forum, last year we had two forassasin games running, Kellsbells did one around Christmas, then someone did a forazombies round (similar idea different take on it). Maybe if there is enough interest we could run another forum game of it? I found it quite fun when we did do it last year.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

last year, someone set up a game at my school, but I didn't hear about it in time to get in. It only had about 20 people, but it took them several months because everyone was so paranoid, so there wasn't another game.

Tillan

Postby Tillan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 am UTC

Sungura wrote:I'd never heard of this game before the forum, last year we had two forassasin games running, Kellsbells did one around Christmas, then someone did a forazombies round (similar idea different take on it). Maybe if there is enough interest we could run another forum game of it? I found it quite fun when we did do it last year.

Ild actually been thinking the exact same thing recently, I actually only found this thread because i went searching for forazombies. Ild be happy to run it if people are intrested?

(Link to original forazombies game - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32181&start=0&hilit=forazombies#p1245719)
Now work damnit! No, dont carry on posting here, you're a very busy person. work work work!!

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Quenouille wrote:So infos aren't given out randomly? For instance, if it were random, you could have guy A, B, C form their own closed circle of the game while D through Z would never hunt or be hunted by them. I assume the DM just exchange A's infos to B, B's to C, C's to ... and Z's to A?

My Friend and I were in a game of this over the summer, and decided to calculate the probability of a closed circle forming. I can't remember what we discovered, but it was pretty high. It was also pretty much the most awesome thing ever. I got killed in the middle of a crowded candle shop :D

wst

Postby wst » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:34 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:I am a current member of the Cambridge University Assassins Guild.
When I was thinking about where I might want to go for Uni, I only considered Cambridge for the Assassins Guild (I was ignoring the academia stuff). That was my reasoning - they have an assassins guild, therefore I want to go there.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:I am a current member of the Cambridge University Assassins Guild.

Is there a Mr. Teatime on the roster?
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

mollusk

Postby mollusk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

A friend of mine was in a hard-core game of assassin in college. Towards the end, the game quickly escalated resulting in a car chase, a hit and run and a dorm room break-in (which was captured on video).

Needless to say, it was awesome to watch.
John Hodgman wrote:...while the truth may be stranger than fiction, it is never as strange as lies . . . or as true.

livemansleeping

Postby livemansleeping » Mon May 11, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

there's a game of assasin that goes around my campus, havn't gotten involved yet though, its on my to-do list.... somewhere. *looks at to-do list*
i am livemansleeping, if you happen to see deadmanwalking, lemme know... >heh.<

Psycho Goose

Postby Psycho Goose » Tue May 12, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

There was a game of assassin at my school this year. I forgot to sign up (so sad...)

We have stickers, you see, and you need to stick one onto your target's back without them noticing. (It's so fun to follow/poke people and freak them out, when they think you're their assassin...) Last year, we had it too, and we had to restart early on when a couple of kids (freshmen...) traded targets, which turned the one big circle into two smaller ones. I've never really been good at it. I let my guard down at exactly the wrong moment.

Oh, and a teacher won this year.

Oh, and this. And more information here. So... much... awesome. Brain... exploding...
If only I lived in a bigger city.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

frogshee

Postby frogshee » Fri May 15, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

We played this in high school! I got out on the first round...after I gave up on getting my target

Return to “School”